FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

Agree with kevhamster there, but just from personal experience, I really dig BenQ monitors for the excellent price/performance. I do a lot of design work, so color accuracy is important to me, and they make some nicely calibrated monitors (I got the PD 3200U which is around your budget). That level of color accuracy isn't needed for playing FM of course and there are definitely good cheaper options.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I bought a new Laptop recently and fairly confident it should be ok for FM24, but thought it was worth checking for some additional opinions.

its a HP Victus gaming laptop 15 fb0xxx with the following:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics, 3.30 GHz

16GB RAM

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050

i used to run fairly large custom databases on my old alienware laptop, so wondering if i would be able to run similar or should i be looking at running smaller databases

any thoughts/advice is appreciated

thanks in advance

6 minutes ago, michealhill said:

Hi,

I bought a new Laptop recently and fairly confident it should be ok for FM24, but thought it was worth checking for some additional opinions.

its a HP Victus gaming laptop 15 fb0xxx with the following:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics, 3.30 GHz

16GB RAM

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050

i used to run fairly large custom databases on my old alienware laptop, so wondering if i would be able to run similar or should i be looking at running smaller databases

any thoughts/advice is appreciated

thanks in advance

It's a very good CPU in there, so you shouldn't have any particular fear over running the database size you want.

24 minutes ago, craigb1903 said:

Finally got my cash together for laptop and then noticed this. Wondered if this was good value?

Nitro5 15.6", Ryzen 7- 6800H, RTX-3070Ti , 16GB(2x8GB DDR5), 1TB can get it for £989. 

Yes, for that overall spec that's a very good deal.

Just now, Benclargo said:

Hi guys, looking for a new laptop for fm24 as mine is about to die. Looking to run alot of leagues in view only and large databases. Don’t really have a budget so can anyone recommend any? Thanks in advance 

I can absolutely look for you, but would need to have some idea of what you're willing/able to spend to find the best recommendation for you.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I can absolutely look for you, but would need to have some idea of what you're willing/able to spend to find the best recommendation for you.

Hello Kev, thanks for the quick reply 👍🏻

happy to spend up to £1000, if slightly more no issues, ideally best value for money to comfortably play the game! 

cheers 

3 minutes ago, Benclargo said:

Hello Kev, thanks for the quick reply 👍🏻

happy to spend up to £1000, if slightly more no issues, ideally best value for money to comfortably play the game! 

cheers 

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-cyborg-15-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10251897.html

6 minutes ago, SeanFH said:

The first link doesn't seem to work.  But either of the second and third are excellent.  I'd go with the third link as it has the better graphics card.

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

The first link doesn't seem to work.  But either of the second and third are excellent.  I'd go with the third link as it has the better graphics card.

Great stuff, really appreciate the advice was totally lost! I’ll go with the third.

31 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Would you recommend this Msi one or the other msi one you sent me? 

19 minutes ago, Benclargo said:

Would you recommend this Msi one or the other msi one you sent me? 

The MSI one definitely is the better of the two.  For some reason it didn't come up when I searched for your so not sure what's going on with that!  The other one I recommended will still do the job though if you want to save the extra cash.

• zakbrown96 changed the title to FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***
1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

The MSI one definitely is the better of the two.  For some reason it didn't come up when I searched for your so not sure what's going on with that!  The other one I recommended will still do the job though if you want to save the extra cash.

Which one would you recommend getting out of the 2? 

Hi all. Excuse my ignorance but would I be able to run FM24 on this?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3289299?clickSR=slp:term:hp laptop:2:50:1

Was happily playing FM23 on my current HP laptop with windows 8.1 however apparently I can’t update to Windows 10 or 11 so new laptop it is.

Thanks. 

Edited by JonH93

1 minute ago, JonH93 said:

Hi all. Excuse my ignorance but would I be able to run FM24 on this?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3289299?clickSR=slp:term:hp laptop:2:50:1

Was playing FM23 on my old laptop with windows 8.1 however apparently I can’t run Windows 10 or 11 on it so new laptop it is.

Thanks. 

I wouldn't recommend it.  An i3 CPU isn't great and you really want to be aiming for 8GB RAM minimum.  What's your budget, and would you be comfortable with a refurbished machine with a warranty?

Thanks for your reply! Budget would be £500 to be honest assuming that is even possible, been happily hammering out years of play on my cheap HP bought 8/9 years ago which still works fine now, so just something really basic that just lets me play FM really. Performance isn’t so much an issue, just don’t want to buy a laptop, unbox, install it only to find FM doesn’t run on it then not be able to return it.

would this with i5 8gb run it? 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1172999?clickSR=slp:term:laptop:1:73:1

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

• Intel Core i5 - 1135G7 processor. 
  • Quad core processor. 
  • with a burst speed of 4.2GHz. 
  • 8GB RAM DDR4. 
  • 256GB SSD storage. 
  • Windows 11 Home. 

Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen. 
  • Full HD Display. 
  • Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.

I read that FM24 needs “Processor – Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 X2” and me being very uninformed, I have no clue if i3 i5 i7 is better than worse than/ meets that or is outdated. 

Thanks again!

Edited by JonH93

16 minutes ago, JonH93 said:

Thanks for your reply! Budget would be £500 to be honest assuming that is even possible, been happily hammering out years of play on my cheap HP bought 8/9 years ago which still works fine now, so just something really basic that just lets me play FM really. Performance isn’t so much an issue, just don’t want to buy a laptop, unbox, install it only to find FM doesn’t run on it then not be able to return it.

would this with i5 8gb run it? 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1172999?clickSR=slp:term:laptop:1:73:1

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

• Intel Core i5 - 1135G7 processor. 
  • Quad core processor. 
  • with a burst speed of 4.2GHz. 
  • 8GB RAM DDR4. 
  • 256GB SSD storage. 
  • Windows 11 Home. 

Display features:

• 15.6 inch screen. 
  • Full HD Display. 
  • Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.

I read that FM24 needs “Processor – Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 X2” and me being very uninformed, I have no clue if i3 i5 i7 is better than worse than/ meets that or is outdated. 

Thanks again!

Yes, that one from Argos will be fine and would be a lot better than the other one. 

The other one would run the game, but would be a fair bit slower and with 4GB RAM you'd be more at risk of running out of memory. 

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Yes, that one from Argos will be fine and would be a lot better than the other one. 

The other one would run the game, but would be a fair bit slower and with 4GB RAM you'd be more at risk of running out of memory. 

Thank you for your time and help! All set up 🙏🏻

Quick one. Does anybody know whether FM24 would work with a Intel core i5 on a Mac? System requirements say it needs Intel Core M but google suggests an i5 may be slightly better than this. Is the Core M just a minimum?

Its a fairly old Macbook air. So would need to check if I could get the latest software updates anyway but won't bother if the i5 won't be suitable.

Cheers,

10 minutes ago, Trussy said:

Quick one. Does anybody know whether FM24 would work with a Intel core i5 on a Mac? System requirements say it needs Intel Core M but google suggests an i5 may be slightly better than this. Is the Core M just a minimum?

Its a fairly old Macbook air. So would need to check if I could get the latest software updates anyway but won't bother if the i5 won't be suitable.

Cheers,

Would need to know exactly which Mac you have, including MacOS version.  Since FM23, some older MacOS versions are no longer supported and the game won't work if you try to load it up in those versions.

36 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Would need to know exactly which Mac you have, including MacOS version.  Since FM23, some older MacOS versions are no longer supported and the game won't work if you try to load it up in those versions.

It's a Macbook air 6,2. Currently running OS 10 but is available to go to 11 (according to the apple website)

Intel Core i5
1.3 GHz Processer
8GB Ram 
Intel HD Graphics 5000
250GB storage

Edited by Trussy
Moved storage down a line

9 minutes ago, Trussy said:

It's a Macbook air 6,2. Currently running OS 10 but is available to go to 11 (according to the apple website)

Intel Core i5
1.3 GHz Processer
8GB Ram 
Intel HD Graphics 5000
250GB storage

Firstly, you will need it to be MacOS 11 at a minimum so do check that you can upgrade to that OS version, otherwise it's a non-starter.

And if you can upgrade to MacOS 11, it will then run the game but it won't be ideal.

It's a 4th gen i5, which is old and slow by current standards so the game will take a while to process the game.  The iGPU will only manage 3D at lower settings and with a 1366x768 screen resolution you're also not getting an ideal display.  You ideally want a 1080p display at a minimum these days.

Hi,

My laptop (dell inspiron 15 3000) doesn't seem to be up to the job for running multiple leagues on the new fm and struggled on the last without the fan screaming at me and a day taking a minute to load so I want to buy a new one.

My budget is up to £700 really however it is flexible if needs be. I usually load the top 10 or so leagues in europe and the top in brazil and usa with a small or medium database size for a journeyman career. I am also conscious i make sure i get a good enough laptop for the big graphics changes in fm25.

A shop I have used before has recommended me this and is on sale for £695

MSI Katana GF66 - Intel i7 11th gen octo core 2.30ghz, 64 bit, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd, windows 11 pro and a rtx 3060 gpu. 

Could you please let me know if this is suitable for how i play fm, and maybe what other alternatives there are / what i should look for.

I have also had a look at these blogs, do you recommend any on here?

https://www.footballmanagerblog.org/2023/10/best-laptops-football-manager-2024-fm24.html

https://fmbrotherhood.com/fm24/best-laptops-fm24/

Thanks

2 minutes ago, charliemillett said:

Hi,

My laptop (dell inspiron 15 3000) doesn't seem to be up to the job for running multiple leagues on the new fm and struggled on the last without the fan screaming at me and a day taking a minute to load so I want to buy a new one.

My budget is up to £700 really however it is flexible if needs be. I usually load the top 10 or so leagues in europe and the top in brazil and usa with a small or medium database size for a journeyman career. I am also conscious i make sure i get a good enough laptop for the big graphics changes in fm25.

A shop I have used before has recommended me this and is on sale for £695

MSI Katana GF66 - Intel i7 11th gen octo core 2.30ghz, 64 bit, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd, windows 11 pro and a rtx 3060 gpu. 

Could you please let me know if this is suitable for how i play fm, and maybe what other alternatives there are / what i should look for.

I have also had a look at these blogs, do you recommend any on here?

https://www.footballmanagerblog.org/2023/10/best-laptops-football-manager-2024-fm24.html

https://fmbrotherhood.com/fm24/best-laptops-fm24/

Thanks

I would actually just suggest going for that MSI if it's still available.  You're not going to get a better deal for that price.

Hello guys. University student with a budget of 300 euros. Used to run fm23 on my pc (lowest everything, 2d, max 3 leagues etc etc) but for it doesnt support this year's games (too old)

Is there a laptop/minimum specs i should look at?? The laptop will only be used for university things and the only game i will play (if i can) is fm

Thanks in advance

ps: i think the problem with my pc is dx, no idea what that is but the error i got in games like cs2 or only up (even ****ing trackmania) was about dx, I suppose this is going to be a problem for fm24 too

31 minutes ago, aftamareshoun said:

Hello guys. University student with a budget of 300 euros. Used to run fm23 on my pc (lowest everything, 2d, max 3 leagues etc etc) but for it doesnt support this year's games (too old)

Is there a laptop/minimum specs i should look at?? The laptop will only be used for university things and the only game i will play (if i can) is fm

Thanks in advance

ps: i think the problem with my pc is dx, no idea what that is but the error i got in games like cs2 or only up (even ****ing trackmania) was about dx, I suppose this is going to be a problem for fm24 too

It's probably something to do with the DirectX version it's running. 

Give me some examples of sites you'd buy a laptop on in whichever country you're in and I'll see what's around. 

7 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It's probably something to do with the DirectX version it's running. 

can i do something about it? 

Give me some examples of sites you'd buy a laptop on in whichever country you're in and I'll see what's around. 

skroutz.gr in greece

Just now, aftamareshoun said:

can i do something about it? 

skroutz.gr in greece

Without knowing exactly what the error is, it's really hard to say. When I'm home later I'll have a look at that site and see what they have. 

46 minutes ago, aftamareshoun said:

Thanks in advance

The cheapest thing I can find there which is any way recommendable is this, which is closer to €400.

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/40697070/Lenovo-V15-G2-ITL-15-6-FHD-i3-1115G4-8GB-256GB-SSD-W11-Home-Black-US-Keyboard.html

You ideally want to be looking at Ryzen 5 or i5 and above, but that may not be possible with the budget. You should also be looking for 8GB RAM. 

Processors best to avoid are things like Intel Pentium or Celeron and any non-Ryzen AMD. 

30 minutes ago, aftamareshoun said:

thank you very much image.png?ex=653e3ae8&is=652bc5e8&hm=1489af8592677483fcd70278f93768882bdcaefb1f6eb55460f63047dbbad26f& this was the error i got in cs2 if it helps

That looks like either you don't have DirectX 11 installed or your GPU simply doesn't support it.

Did CS2 ever work or did you get this error when you first tried it? 

Can you please post the spec of your computer as that may offer some useful info. 

Things worth trying are verifying the integrity of the files of affected games and ensuring all your drivers are fully up to date. 

14 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

That looks like either you don't have DirectX 11 installed or your GPU simply doesn't support it.

Did CS2 ever work or did you get this error when you first tried it? 

Can you please post the spec of your computer as that may offer some useful info. 

Things worth trying are verifying the integrity of the files of affected games and ensuring all your drivers are fully up to date. 

I think it doesnt have a gpu so probably thats the problem. 

Its happened to every new game once i start it.

Just now, aftamareshoun said:

I think it doesnt have a gpu so probably thats the problem. 

Its happened to every new game once i start it.

It will have a GPU, even if it's integrated into the CPU. Without a GPU, you'd have no display at all. 

It does sound to me perhaps that your computer simply isn't compatible with DX11, but if you can post the specs I can check. 

To bring up the specs, assuming it's Windows, run dxdiag.exe and post a screenshot of what it says for the system specs. 

59 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The cheapest thing I can find there which is any way recommendable is this, which is closer to €400.

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/40697070/Lenovo-V15-G2-ITL-15-6-FHD-i3-1115G4-8GB-256GB-SSD-W11-Home-Black-US-Keyboard.html

You ideally want to be looking at Ryzen 5 or i5 and above, but that may not be possible with the budget. You should also be looking for 8GB RAM. 

Processors best to avoid are things like Intel Pentium or Celeron and any non-Ryzen AMD. 

Just saw that message, thank you very much!!

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It will have a GPU, even if it's integrated into the CPU. Without a GPU, you'd have no display at all. 

It does sound to me perhaps that your computer simply isn't compatible with DX11, but if you can post the specs I can check. 

To bring up the specs, assuming it's Windows, run dxdiag.exe and post a screenshot of what it says for the system specs. 

image.png.5d3925053837dfbdb311be7918efb7f5.png

i ll try my best to raise the budget. Should i be looking at better cpu or ram?

13 minutes ago, aftamareshoun said:

i ll try my best to raise the budget. Should i be looking at better cpu or ram?

If it's correct that it's an i5-750, that is a 14 year old CPU which is likely where your issue lies. 

You definitely should be looking at a better CPU that what you have there. 

RAM is still important though and you do want to really make sure you have 8GB as a minimum. 

If it's correct that it's an i5-750, that is a 14 year old CPU which is likely where your issue lies. 

You definitely should be looking at a better CPU that what you have there. 

RAM is still important though and you do want to really make sure you have 8GB as a minimum. 

Ok man, thank you so much for staying here! Last question, considering i avoid the cpus you said, am i also looking for the most GHz available?

11 minutes ago, aftamareshoun said:

Ok man, thank you so much for staying here! Last question, considering i avoid the cpus you said, am i also looking for the most GHz available?

Not specifically. My suggestion would be work out what your budget is and whether you're after a desktop or laptop and then come back so we can look around. 

Hi, first time posting in this part of the forum, so forgive me if this isn't an appropriate format or type of question.

I currently play FM on a 7 year old PC, haven't really had any issues before, but am wondering how it compares to what others use, and more importantly, if it is maybe time to upgrade to be able to enjoy FM24 with a reasonable speed / graphics.

Current PC has:

i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz (8 CPUs) 

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 

Not sure if the above is enough info to gauge the quality. I tend to run around 50 to 60 leagues with about 130k players. I play in 2D usually, with maybe goal replays in 3D.

Would a better machine improve my FM24 performance much, or would I not see a big difference?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey guys, 

I am rather new to the game actually. Started off playing on mobile, then on the console version.

i want to play the pc version and would like to get a laptop. Due to the mobility factor. The issue is that I am awful at technology and don’t know what laptop I should purchase.

If I could get some recommendations on what to buy. I will only be using this laptop to play FM and that is it. My budget is anything between 400-700 dollars. 

Hey guys,

looking to finally get myself a new laptop as old one finally has given in.

I have a budget about £700 and will be using it for FM and maybe some other games.

Was wondering what you thought would be the best one out of these two for fm and gaming

1- https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-3-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10250686.html

2- https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-15.6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10249077.html

they seem pretty similar in most aspects to be just wonder what your options would be as I dont know enough about laptops 

thanks

6 hours ago, DrIgz said:

Hi, first time posting in this part of the forum, so forgive me if this isn't an appropriate format or type of question.

I currently play FM on a 7 year old PC, haven't really had any issues before, but am wondering how it compares to what others use, and more importantly, if it is maybe time to upgrade to be able to enjoy FM24 with a reasonable speed / graphics.

Current PC has:

i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz (8 CPUs) 

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 

Not sure if the above is enough info to gauge the quality. I tend to run around 50 to 60 leagues with about 130k players. I play in 2D usually, with maybe goal replays in 3D.

Would a better machine improve my FM24 performance much, or would I not see a big difference?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

You would definitely get an uplift in processing speed from an upgrade, but at the same time your PC isn't exactly bad so I'd say pulling the trigger on an upgrade isn't strictly necessary.  If you're still happy with the speed and graphics performance, it may possibly be worth holding off until SI provide the increased system requirements FM25 will have.

4 hours ago, The_lost said:

Hey guys, 

I am rather new to the game actually. Started off playing on mobile, then on the console version.

i want to play the pc version and would like to get a laptop. Due to the mobility factor. The issue is that I am awful at technology and don’t know what laptop I should purchase.

If I could get some recommendations on what to buy. I will only be using this laptop to play FM and that is it. My budget is anything between 400-700 dollars. 

Sure.  If you can provide me with some stores you'd use in whichever country you're in (dollars could be a few different countries!).

1 hour ago, slamdunky said:

Hey guys,

looking to finally get myself a new laptop as old one finally has given in.

I have a budget about £700 and will be using it for FM and maybe some other games.

Was wondering what you thought would be the best one out of these two for fm and gaming

1- https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-3-16-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10250686.html

2- https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-15.6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10249077.html

they seem pretty similar in most aspects to be just wonder what your options would be as I dont know enough about laptops 

thanks

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-15.6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10249077.html

Definitely that one of the two due to the dedicated graphics card.  Depending on which games you're playing, you may want to look at trying to get one with 16GB RAM, but I'm struggling to find them at £700 - it's pushing it up to £750 minimum.

You would definitely get an uplift in processing speed from an upgrade, but at the same time your PC isn't exactly bad so I'd say pulling the trigger on an upgrade isn't strictly necessary.  If you're still happy with the speed and graphics performance, it may possibly be worth holding off until SI provide the increased system requirements FM25 will have.

Yeah, that sounds fair, I think I will attempt FM24 and see how I go, and preferably wait until FM25 make the change. Appreciate the feedback!