FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

2 hours ago, rossy86 said:

Sorry guys me again. If I could stretch the budget, would Ryzen 7 be preferable over Ryzen 5? 

You'd need to be more specific.  There are many Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 CPU's and some current Ryzen 5's will outperform older Ryzen 7's.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on getting a new laptop with something like a i7-12700H. But now I see Ryzen CPUs seems to be better suited for FM according to people who seems to know what they're talking about. So should I look for that instead? Which model would cost about the same but perform better?

14 minutes ago, Creb said:

I'm planning on getting a new laptop with something like a i7-12700H. But now I see Ryzen CPUs seems to be better suited for FM according to people who seems to know what they're talking about. So should I look for that instead? Which model would cost about the same but perform better?

There's not a huge amount in it between the current AMD and Intel CPU's.  What's your budget and are you looking to play other games aside from FM?  If so, please give some examples of the other games you'd be playing.

16 hours ago, kevhamster said:

You'd need to be more specific.  There are many Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 CPU's and some current Ryzen 5's will outperform older Ryzen 7's.

Ah. Sorry mate I suppose I didn’t really understand what I was asking. Ok so I have gone back over pages I’m the thread to try and get an idea. I think I have more narrowed my search I like the look of these two machines. 

https://www.box.co.uk/82K100HDUK-Lenovo-ideaPad-Gaming-3-Intel-Core-i5-8G_3778691.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-3i-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10228904.html#collapseFour

I do not need a laptop for work or anything like that. Just looking for some light browsing maybe watching the odd bit of Netflix. I usually play games on my Xbox so from a gaming perspective I only really looking to play FM although I do have “game pass” which I think I could use on a laptop but I’m not overly worried. My main concern is a laptop That won’t be massively noisy with fans going a million miles an hour if I’m sitting quietly playing FM. 

lastly thanks for all your advise! The amount you give on here is unbelievable. 

Ross

37 minutes ago, rossy86 said:

Ah. Sorry mate I suppose I didn’t really understand what I was asking. Ok so I have gone back over pages I’m the thread to try and get an idea. I think I have more narrowed my search I like the look of these two machines. 

https://www.box.co.uk/82K100HDUK-Lenovo-ideaPad-Gaming-3-Intel-Core-i5-8G_3778691.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-3i-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10228904.html#collapseFour

I do not need a laptop for work or anything like that. Just looking for some light browsing maybe watching the odd bit of Netflix. I usually play games on my Xbox so from a gaming perspective I only really looking to play FM although I do have “game pass” which I think I could use on a laptop but I’m not overly worried. My main concern is a laptop That won’t be massively noisy with fans going a million miles an hour if I’m sitting quietly playing FM. 

lastly thanks for all your advise! The amount you give on here is unbelievable. 

Ross

The second one is more likely to be quiet as it's not a gaming laptop.  Consequently, it will be more limited what it can do in terms of gaming outside of FM, but is more than adequate for playing FM and will be good for 3D graphics at medium to high settings.

You'd also need to switch Windows out of S mode if you go for that one: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-119f-031bfb28a307

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

There's not a huge amount in it between the current AMD and Intel CPU's.  What's your budget and are you looking to play other games aside from FM?  If so, please give some examples of the other games you'd be playing.

It's just for Football Manager but I want to load as many leagues as possible, and I only use 3D view for replays. I need good battery time and it should be as light as possible though, and I need USB-C charging.

I'm in Sweden but my budget is around £1050.

2 hours ago, Creb said:

It's just for Football Manager but I want to load as many leagues as possible, and I only use 3D view for replays. I need good battery time and it should be as light as possible though, and I need USB-C charging.

I'm in Sweden but my budget is around £1050.

Not sure what stores you can buy from in Sweden, but this is the sort of spec you'd be looking for.  This one does have a USB-C port as well.

https://www.box.co.uk/U4-UD-70UK823SO-Gigabyte-U4-Intel-Core-i7-16GB-RAM-512GB_4090534.html

14 hours ago, Creb said:

Ok but that CPU is far behind in the benchmarks, is it better for FM in some way?

Far behind what?  You've not said what you're comparing it to.

You wanted something thin and light with good battery life - for that you have to sacrifice some CPU power.  The stronger CPU's will drain the battery much more quickly than this does,

However, in spite of it being one of the "low power" laptop CPU's, it still offers very good performance.

That said, having looked more closely into it it does seem that although it does have a lower power CPU, it seems that they've put a pretty crappy battery into this one so it may not be the best shout.

But, you have to tell me what is most important to you - if you do want something with a bit more grunt then you will probably need to actually go for a gaming laptop as they tend to have the better CPU's in them - but with that you will genuinely sacrifice battery life and the thin and light element.

Another shout if you want something genuinely thin and light is the Macbook Air M1 basic model which retails at around £1k.  It's a 13 inch laptop with a very solid CPU, although the M1 chip is literally only 1 place above the i7 in that Gigabyte laptop on the notebookcheck benchmark site.

image.thumb.png.56fbb84049e0b64f4bec24c0b518bdfb.png

Edited by kevhamster

Hello guys, exactly the forum I needed cause I'm struggling to find the laptop which matches my wishes. So thanks in advance!

I want to maximize the "Journeyman" experience, so most of the leagues loaded with large database. The 3D match engine I only use for replays. So this means CPU is more important than GPU (if I understood correctly).

Will mainly use it to play Football Manager. During playing I normally listen to Spotify or watch/listen something on YouTube or Netflix.
Furthermore I will only use it for e-mail and MS Office. Don't know what this means for the RAM (think 8GB will be enough).

I'm from the Netherlands so I would prefer to buy from www.coolblue.nl 
Maybe something like this ? https://www.coolblue.nl/product/893679/hp-victus-16-e0917nd.html Or am I exaggerating then?

27 minutes ago, JoostdeZwerver said:
Hello guys, exactly the forum I needed cause I'm struggling to find the laptop which matches my wishes. So thanks in advance!

I want to maximize the "Journeyman" experience, so most of the leagues loaded with large database. The 3D match engine I only use for replays. So this means CPU is more important than GPU (if I understood correctly).

Will mainly use it to play Football Manager. During playing I normally listen to Spotify or watch/listen something on YouTube or Netflix.
Furthermore I will only use it for e-mail and MS Office. Don't know what this means for the RAM (think 8GB will be enough).

I'm from the Netherlands so I would prefer to buy from www.coolblue.nl 
Maybe something like this ? https://www.coolblue.nl/product/893679/hp-victus-16-e0917nd.html Or am I exaggerating then?

I'd probably be inclined to go for 16GB RAM just because of the multitasking you mentioned.

https://www.coolblue.nl/product/898469/hp-victus-16-e0320nd.html#product-specifications would be a good shout - same CPU as the one you mentioned, but with 16GB RAM.  Slightly stronger graphics card too, although that's less of a factor given your stated usage of the laptop.  It's €50 more than the first one, but I think the extra RAM is worth that bit extra just to future proof it a bit.

Edited by kevhamster

12 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

You wanted something thin and light with good battery life - for that you have to sacrifice some CPU power.  The stronger CPU's will drain the battery much more quickly than this does,

However, in spite of it being one of the "low power" laptop CPU's, it still offers very good performance.

That said, having looked more closely into it it does seem that although it does have a lower power CPU, it seems that they've put a pretty crappy battery into this one so it may not be the best shout.

But, you have to tell me what is most important to you - if you do want something with a bit more grunt then you will probably need to actually go for a gaming laptop as they tend to have the better CPU's in them - but with that you will genuinely sacrifice battery life and the thin and light element.

Performance is more important, it just needs to fit in my backpack but my backpack is pretty big so most 15.6" laptops would fit. My current laptop is 37.5x26 cm and it fits but it's a bit to tight. I didn't know they made them that light, anything under 2 kg is ok.

I only use battery at home because my cat starts chewing on the cable as soon as i plug it in. But I think I could hide a powerbank from her so with USB charging a good battery isn't as important anymore.

I have been looking at this one with i7-12700H, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD:

https://nanoreview.net/en/laptop/asus-vivobook-s-14-oled-12th-gen-intel?m=c.2_r.4

2 hours ago, Creb said:

Performance is more important, it just needs to fit in my backpack but my backpack is pretty big so most 15.6" laptops would fit. My current laptop is 37.5x26 cm and it fits but it's a bit to tight. I didn't know they made them that light, anything under 2 kg is ok.

I only use battery at home because my cat starts chewing on the cable as soon as i plug it in. But I think I could hide a powerbank from her so with USB charging a good battery isn't as important anymore.

I have been looking at this one with i7-12700H, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD:

https://nanoreview.net/en/laptop/asus-vivobook-s-14-oled-12th-gen-intel?m=c.2_r.4

Yep, that'll do a very good job of handling FM.

1 hour ago, Derry2709 said:

Hello again, still haven't made a decision aha.

I have been told this is an extremely good deal at £599 by workers at currys, so was just wondering how well it would run fm?

Thanks

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/acer-aspire-5-a51454-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10212831.html

It's fine.  But the CPU in this scores better on the benchmarks for the same price.  The drawback is a smaller SSD: https://www.box.co.uk/82MS006XUK-Lenovo-Yoga-Slim-7-Pro-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-R_3824161.html

Hi all, 

Looking to upgrade from my 10 year old workhorse to get something approximating a "gaming" laptop. I usually only play Football Manager, but I'm quite tempted by the look of F1 Manager and that has led me to think I could maybe try other more graphics heavy games as well. 

I usually have FM on alongside other things (browsing, YouTube, music etc), and try to have about 7 nations loaded with custom databases.

Is that possible for about £850? Willing to stretch for something really good if it means I don't need to think about an upgrade for another good few years!

24 minutes ago, allezdae said:

Hi all, 

Looking to upgrade from my 10 year old workhorse to get something approximating a "gaming" laptop. I usually only play Football Manager, but I'm quite tempted by the look of F1 Manager and that has led me to think I could maybe try other more graphics heavy games as well. 

I usually have FM on alongside other things (browsing, YouTube, music etc), and try to have about 7 nations loaded with custom databases.

Is that possible for about £850? Willing to stretch for something really good if it means I don't need to think about an upgrade for another good few years!

Yep, easily possible: https://www.box.co.uk/4Q5S2EAABU-HP-Victus-16-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-512GB-_3820917.html

I have been looking to upgrade my very noisy old pc for a long while. I am thinking of treating myself. I've spent a long time looking and have a couple of questions regarding this one.

https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-Legendary-Pro-ICue_4293461.html?config=2336001,2472019,3822760,4103349,4128750

To cut down some costs I removed the Windows 11 option as I can put my own W10 version in, and I've also removed the HDD option as I have some I can use from my current pc. 

I mainly play FM, in fact I mostly do, and I always push the limits and beyond with the amount of leagues I can activate. I want to run FM graphics on the 'very high' setting. I also own and have dabbled with Elite Dangerous, so something that can handle those graphics well is a bonus. 

Here's my questions ....

What is the difference in the chipsets i7-12700kf, and i7-12700f? F seems to be more energy efficient, but the kf has the appeal of a higher base speed and a higher overclock speed (Max 5ghz)

I removed the option to have an HDD included (to drop the price), I have 3 HDD drives (one of these is solely for Windows to sit on). Can I fit 3 hard drives into this rig?

I removed the Windows 11 option again to reduce the price, I assume this will run the windows 10 I already own?

I have been studying the benchmark thread and this rig should perform well. Is the geforce rtx 3070ti graphics card a bit of overkill (certainly for FM) but also for Elite Dangerous?  It certainly throws the price up but I'm trying to plan ahead and future proof the machine so it can stand the test of time with future game releases. (not just for fm).

Thanks for your guidance oh wise people!

56 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I have been looking to upgrade my very noisy old pc for a long while. I am thinking of treating myself. I've spent a long time looking and have a couple of questions regarding this one.

https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-Legendary-Pro-ICue_4293461.html?config=2336001,2472019,3822760,4103349,4128750

To cut down some costs I removed the Windows 11 option as I can put my own W10 version in, and I've also removed the HDD option as I have some I can use from my current pc. 

I mainly play FM, in fact I mostly do, and I always push the limits and beyond with the amount of leagues I can activate. I want to run FM graphics on the 'very high' setting. I also own and have dabbled with Elite Dangerous, so something that can handle those graphics well is a bonus. 

Here's my questions ....

What is the difference in the chipsets i7-12700kf, and i7-12700f? F seems to be more energy efficient, but the kf has the appeal of a higher base speed and a higher overclock speed (Max 5ghz)

I removed the option to have an HDD included (to drop the price), I have 3 HDD drives (one of these is solely for Windows to sit on). Can I fit 3 hard drives into this rig?

I removed the Windows 11 option again to reduce the price, I assume this will run the windows 10 I already own?

I have been studying the benchmark thread and this rig should perform well. Is the geforce rtx 3070ti graphics card a bit of overkill (certainly for FM) but also for Elite Dangerous?  It certainly throws the price up but I'm trying to plan ahead and future proof the machine so it can stand the test of time with future game releases. (not just for fm).

Thanks for your guidance oh wise people!

i7-12700KF - Can be overclocked.

i7-12700F - Cannot be overclocked.

My understanding is that if no overclocking is used, both should be pretty much identical.

EDIT: Regarding the graphics card.  Assuming you're playing the Odyssey expansion on Elite Dangerous, then the more powerful the GPU, the better.  It's in theory not the most demanding thing out there, but it's not terribly well optimised so it's definitely worth getting the best graphics card you can.  I believe there's more expansions on the pipeline as well, which is likely to push the required specs up further.  Fly safe CMDR!! o7 (I play too lol)

Edited by kevhamster

55 minutes ago, allezdae said:

Thanks - does the R7 option improve things enough for the extra money?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html? scores below:

image.thumb.png.3559ff88809d0f5b91643eca845dc92b.png

I'd say, if you can afford it, then the Ryzen 7 is a worthwhile purchase.  More cores and threads, with slightly higher performance per core.

If you're unsure, then the Ryzen 5 in this model is still an excellent CPU.

13 hours ago, EdL said:

Generally iirc Windows licences don;t transfer between different machines (although it depends exactly what licence type it is)

A few months ago a windows updated got corrupted and refused to update properly. I ended up buying a cheap refurbished hard drive which I now use solely to sit windows on. I had used the windows media creation tool downloaded to a usb stick to do this. Therefore I assume the process would be the same on a different PC. Funny though, I did not have to enter my Windows License key when I went through the windows setup on the new hard drive! I assume once I enter my microsoft username and password during the setup everything sort of links up?

On 06/09/2022 at 11:45, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

A few months ago a windows updated got corrupted and refused to update properly. I ended up buying a cheap refurbished hard drive which I now use solely to sit windows on. I had used the windows media creation tool downloaded to a usb stick to do this. Therefore I assume the process would be the same on a different PC. Funny though, I did not have to enter my Windows License key when I went through the windows setup on the new hard drive! I assume once I enter my microsoft username and password during the setup everything sort of links up?

Pretty much yes.

Once it verifies you. 

• SI Staff
Just now, EdL said:

When I tried that after changing my motherboard it said the key wasn''t valid for the hardware or something

But also I think it was from an upgraded Windows 7 OEM licence, so it may depend on the licence type

Hi all. I currently have a Surface Pro which I've been using for the last 4 years, but now starts to overheat when playing FM, but is otherwise still in good condition and has no overheating problems when browsing, or watching YouTube, Netflix, etc. I am looking to buy a new laptop solely for playing FM, as I will continue to use my Surface for everything else.

I prefer watching matches in 2D, so graphics aren't too important. I would like to load as a decent number of leagues, usually the country I'm playing in to the bottom tier, and then the top tiers in the major European countries, and then as many players as possible from other leagues.

As the laptop would be for FM only, I wouldn't want to spend more than necessary. I have been looking at MacBook Airs to replace my Surface, but since it is still working well for everything except FM, I'd rather spend a little less on a FM-only laptop.

Willing to listen to any recommendations or advice.

12 minutes ago, cgranters said:

Hi all. I currently have a Surface Pro which I've been using for the last 4 years, but now starts to overheat when playing FM, but is otherwise still in good condition and has no overheating problems when browsing, or watching YouTube, Netflix, etc. I am looking to buy a new laptop solely for playing FM, as I will continue to use my Surface for everything else.

I prefer watching matches in 2D, so graphics aren't too important. I would like to load as a decent number of leagues, usually the country I'm playing in to the bottom tier, and then the top tiers in the major European countries, and then as many players as possible from other leagues.

As the laptop would be for FM only, I wouldn't want to spend more than necessary. I have been looking at MacBook Airs to replace my Surface, but since it is still working well for everything except FM, I'd rather spend a little less on a FM-only laptop.

Willing to listen to any recommendations or advice.

This is a very good deal: https://www.box.co.uk/82KD002LUK-Lenovo-V15-G2-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-_3614141.html

It will likely perform better on FM than a 4 year old Surface Pro, as well as offering decent integrated graphics capability.

10 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

This is a very good deal: https://www.box.co.uk/82KD002LUK-Lenovo-V15-G2-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-_3614141.html

It will likely perform better on FM than a 4 year old Surface Pro, as well as offering decent integrated graphics capability.

Is the upgrade to Ryzen 7 necessary for FM (loading times, database size, long-term saves) or will Ryzen 5 be sufficient?

17 minutes ago, cgranters said:

Is the upgrade to Ryzen 7 necessary for FM (loading times, database size, long-term saves) or will Ryzen 5 be sufficient?

Getting the Ryzen 7 isn't necessary, but if you don't mind paying the extra then you will see better performance.  

https://www.box.co.uk/82KD0008UK-Lenovo-V15-G2-Ryzen-7-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-_3614140.html

Might look to treat myself to a laptop soon to go with my PC. Budget could be as high as £1,000, but preferably closer to £500 if possible. Current plan is to use as just a laptop for PC and light browsing (no watching Netflix or spotify or anything) so that I can play FM in the family and half-watch tv rather than hiding away in the office all night/weekend. Work situation may change if I move out next year which might mean I'd need to be able to do spreadsheet work, multiple PDFs open, internet, some form of photo viewing app (if anyone knows a current working program similar to Picasa that's also handy to know) all at the same time which may be something to bear in mind. 

My PC has AMD Ryzen 3600 processor, 32GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti which probably means more to you than it does to me. I'm not too knowledgeable about the ins and outs of processors and all that, I just sent my mate the FM specs and asked him to build me a PC. I think it's quite a decent spec (?) and don't think I'd need a laptop to be at that level. I guess, being able to do a week in 20 mins for a laptop would be a reasonable expectation given I'd prefer not to spend more than I have to.

What kev suggested for cgranters above looks decent and at the preferred end of the price scale but if there's something better for not much more? https://www.box.co.uk/82KD0008UK-Lenovo-V15-G2-Ryzen-7-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-_3614140.html

Cheers in advance, it's a helluva job you guys do

29 minutes ago, thomas166 said:

Might look to treat myself to a laptop soon to go with my PC. Budget could be as high as £1,000, but preferably closer to £500 if possible. Current plan is to use as just a laptop for PC and light browsing (no watching Netflix or spotify or anything) so that I can play FM in the family and half-watch tv rather than hiding away in the office all night/weekend. Work situation may change if I move out next year which might mean I'd need to be able to do spreadsheet work, multiple PDFs open, internet, some form of photo viewing app (if anyone knows a current working program similar to Picasa that's also handy to know) all at the same time which may be something to bear in mind. 

My PC has AMD Ryzen 3600 processor, 32GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti which probably means more to you than it does to me. I'm not too knowledgeable about the ins and outs of processors and all that, I just sent my mate the FM specs and asked him to build me a PC. I think it's quite a decent spec (?) and don't think I'd need a laptop to be at that level. I guess, being able to do a week in 20 mins for a laptop would be a reasonable expectation given I'd prefer not to spend more than I have to.

What kev suggested for cgranters above looks decent and at the preferred end of the price scale but if there's something better for not much more? https://www.box.co.uk/82KD0008UK-Lenovo-V15-G2-Ryzen-7-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-_3614140.html

Cheers in advance, it's a helluva job you guys do

Your PC has a very similar spec to my desktop PC and yep it's solid!  Not top of the range by any stretch, but does a very decent job.

That laptop you've linked is basically the best you'll find at under £500 at the moment.  So if you're happy with not maxing out the graphics settings (should still manage medium to high in that regard) then I'd suggest snapping it up whilst the price is that low!

Hello guys,

I'm seeking a laptop to play FM22 and in few months FM23. Obviously, one that will run smoothly.

I've found those two, which are almost same price. Can someone tell me which one is best ?

Use will mainly be Football Manager, maybe strategy games (AOE, CIV) and word/excel/internet.

1) 15.6" Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 - FullHD 120 Hz, Ryzen 7 5800H, 16 Go de RAM, 1 To SSD, RTX 3050-4 Go

2) 15.6" Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H - FHD, 120Hz, R5-5600H, 8 Go de RAM, 512 Go de SSD, RTX 3060 6 Go

https://www.dealabs.com/bons-plans/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-gen-6-156-fullhd-120-hz-ryzen-7-5800h-16-go-de-ram-1-to-ssd-rtx-3050-4-go-sans-os-qwerty-espagnol-2402699

https://www.dealabs.com/bons-plans/lenovo-legion-5-15ach6h-156fhd-120hz-ryzen-5-5600h-ram-8go-512go-ssd-rtx-3060-6go-sans-os-2403961

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Nashz28 said:

Hello guys,

I'm seeking a laptop to play FM22 and in few months FM23. Obviously, one that will run smoothly.

I've found those two, which are almost same price. Can someone tell me which one is best ?

Use will mainly be Football Manager, maybe strategy games (AOE, CIV) and word/excel/internet.

1) 15.6" Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 - FullHD 120 Hz, Ryzen 7 5800H, 16 Go de RAM, 1 To SSD, RTX 3050-4 Go

2) 15.6" Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H - FHD, 120Hz, R5-5600H, 8 Go de RAM, 512 Go de SSD, RTX 3060 6 Go

https://www.dealabs.com/bons-plans/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-gen-6-156-fullhd-120-hz-ryzen-7-5800h-16-go-de-ram-1-to-ssd-rtx-3050-4-go-sans-os-qwerty-espagnol-2402699

https://www.dealabs.com/bons-plans/lenovo-legion-5-15ach6h-156fhd-120hz-ryzen-5-5600h-ram-8go-512go-ssd-rtx-3060-6go-sans-os-2403961

Thanks!

The first one is better in every respect except the graphics card, but even so the graphics card in that is definitely enough for your needs.  I'd go for that one.

Hey, which of the following laptops would you recommend. Looking to mainly use the laptop for FM, but also would prefer something lightweight if possible:

https://www.box.co.uk/4H2B4EAABU-HP-Victus-16-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-512GB-_3821919.html

https://www.box.co.uk/M3500QA-L1081T-ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RA_3813147.html

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptop-computers-2-in-1-pcs/inspiron-16-plus/spd/inspiron-16-7620-laptop/cn76308sc

My budget is approx £750- £950. If there is anything else which is better do let me know. Thanks.

Hi so another who as no clue about what I should get but I am not bothered so much about 3d as I am old school and still go with commentary. I want to run all the top European leagues and several more if that's possible with this.

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-15-x1500ea-15.6-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-black-10240153.html

Or is this better?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-tuf-f17-17.3-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1650-512-gb-ssd-10235113.html

4 hours ago, SF_97_ said:

Hey, which of the following laptops would you recommend. Looking to mainly use the laptop for FM, but also would prefer something lightweight if possible:

https://www.box.co.uk/4H2B4EAABU-HP-Victus-16-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RAM-512GB-_3821919.html

https://www.box.co.uk/M3500QA-L1081T-ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-RA_3813147.html

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptop-computers-2-in-1-pcs/inspiron-16-plus/spd/inspiron-16-7620-laptop/cn76308sc

My budget is approx £750- £950. If there is anything else which is better do let me know. Thanks.

Close between the Victus and the Dell

I'd go with Victus as has dedicated graphics card.

3 hours ago, ant2205 said:

Hi so another who as no clue about what I should get but I am not bothered so much about 3d as I am old school and still go with commentary. I want to run all the top European leagues and several more if that's possible with this.

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-15-x1500ea-15.6-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-black-10240153.html

Or is this better?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-tuf-f17-17.3-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1650-512-gb-ssd-10235113.html

Both really strong. 2nd one in my opinon.

Bigger screen - own graphics card - seems like a winner.

If you need a smaller lapop for travel then the 1st one would be no problem.

38 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Both really strong. 2nd one in my opinon.

Bigger screen - own graphics card - seems like a winner.

If you need a smaller lapop for travel then the 1st one would be no problem.

Does the graphics card make a big difference if I am not bothered about playing in 3d?  Suppose it comes down to which will hopefully have the longest life span. Does the 8gb extra make a difference. Thank you again for the response

Just now, ant2205 said:

Does the graphics card make a big difference if I am not bothered about playing in 3d?  Suppose it comes down to which will hopefully have the longest life span. Does the 8gb extra make a difference. Thank you again for the response

Longevity wise better to get a graphics card now, who knows what is down the road for later editions of FM. Doubt it will need a graphics card for any newer version anytime soon, but that's my perosnaly opinon.

8gb woudl be fine. And RAM is usually the most easily upgraded part.

16gb if you plan on running a lot of stuff in tandem with Football Manager, like netflix, lots of internet tabs, music or general heavy use. 

But 8gb no prob for now - but again - easily upgradable in the future.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Longevity wise better to get a graphics card now, who knows what is down the road for later editions of FM. Doubt it will need a graphics card for any newer version anytime soon, but that's my perosnaly opinon.

8gb woudl be fine. And RAM is usually the most easily upgraded part.

16gb if you plan on running a lot of stuff in tandem with Football Manager, like netflix, lots of internet tabs, music or general heavy use. 

But 8gb no prob for now - but again - easily upgradable in the future.

OK thank you again for the advice it's really appreciated. Paid for now hopefully will give it a good run out tomorrow 

Edited by ant2205

Torn

Chassis & Display
Ionico Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 14 Core Processor 12900H (5.0GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 Ti - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive

Price: €2,685.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/ionico-iii-17/QKTwxP6R5j/

OR

Chassis & Display
Valeon Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 9 Eight Core Processor 6900HX (3.3GHz, 4.9GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (1 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive

Price: €2,571.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/valeon-ii-17/HT5!BMq6wN/

I'm buying in Ireland - so if anything similar anywhere someone spots can you let me know.

Obviously if I can get one of them cheaper I will.

But which one would you go for?

I know they're similar. But really about processor... 

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Torn

Chassis & Display
Ionico Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 14 Core Processor 12900H (5.0GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive

Price: €2,685.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/ionico-iii-17/QKTwxP6R5j/

OR

Chassis & Display
Valeon Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 9 Eight Core Processor 6900HX (3.3GHz, 4.9GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (1 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive

Price: €2,571.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/valeon-ii-17/HT5!BMq6wN/

I'm buying in Ireland - so if anything similar anywhere someone spots can you let me know.

Obviously if I can get one of them cheaper I will.

But which one would you go for?

I know they're similar. But really about processor... 

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-6900HX/m1757877vsm1792755

That suggests the i9 is a fair bit stronger. Of course, the Ryzen 9 has a much smaller sample size but based on that I'd choose the i9. 

28 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-6900HX/m1757877vsm1792755

That suggests the i9 is a fair bit stronger. Of course, the Ryzen 9 has a much smaller sample size but based on that I'd choose the i9. 

Yeh was thinking the same 

Be nice to find something cheaper 

Out of interest I tried razer and the price was double 

Still looking about. 

52 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Yeh was thinking the same 

Be nice to find something cheaper 

Out of interest I tried razer and the price was double 

Still looking about. 

Yeah, Razer are very expensive. Definitely paying for the brand name! 

On 07/09/2022 at 22:12, EdL said:

But also I think it was from an upgraded Windows 7 OEM licence, so it may depend on the licence type

It may be because Windows 7 is unsupported, but generally when you reactivate on a different machine (motherboard as that’s what it is tied too) you can authorise it again.

its even easier these days as the licence is linked to to your Microsoft account. 

Hi, could I have some advice please? I've not upgraded for a while and I'm looking to get a machine that could comfortably manage 20+ leagues and a large database. Budget is anywhere around the £1000 mark but main thing is it can handle a decent set up. Also I don't play many other games so main thing is FM. 

I have an extra 15% discount at John Lewis so thinking this one could be an option based on previous advice 

https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-victus-16-e0038na-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-processor-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-nvidia-rtx-3060-16-1-inch-full-hd-ceramic-white/p6195582

Interested to get thoughts or if there's anything else there you would recommend? Or if paying a bit extra and playing this set-up if there's any better options at the moment?

Really appreciate the advice! 

Edited by TheDude1980

1 hour ago, TheDude1980 said:

Hi, could I have some advice please? I've not upgraded for a while and I'm looking to get a machine that could comfortably manage 20+ leagues and a large database. Budget is anywhere around the £1000 mark but main thing is it can handle a decent set up. Also I don't play many other games so main thing is FM. 

I have an extra 15% discount at John Lewis so thinking this one could be an option based on previous advice 

https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-victus-16-e0038na-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-processor-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-nvidia-rtx-3060-16-1-inch-full-hd-ceramic-white/p6195582

Interested to get thoughts or if there's anything else there you would recommend? Or if paying a bit extra and playing this set-up if there's any better options at the moment?

Really appreciate the advice! 

Yep. good pick there especially with that extra 15% discount.  I'd go for that.