FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

5 minutes ago, benhoward12 said:

Hi, 

I was wondering if you could provide some advice! 

I currently play FM on my old Macbook (2014), and it is only used for FM purposes otherwise I would of got rid! see specs below. I have never played it in any other laptop, so not sure if it is 'slow' but I would of thought there are a lot better options out there, especially with the sounds it makes! I purchased a new Macbook (2017) for my Uni work (specs are also below). 

How much difference in game speed would I see if I changed to the 2017 Mac and retire the 2014 ?? - Would it be fairly significant and why?

My only concern is that I don't want to damage the performance of my 2017 mac as it my daily laptop. 

Therefore, I would possibly look at purchasing a laptop just for FM use. My budget would be around £600-800

Any advice you could give would be very helpful! 

3eb1460e4552ef8eb3f2367b5449d2e1.jpg

26f64f644ad810a0e05ca69747d7b892.png

My guess is you would see a decent uplift in performance from the 2014 model to the 2017 one, but trying it would be the only way to be sure. 

I can look for options for you, but I'm not convinced it's entirely necessary unless you desparately wish to avoid using your daily laptop to play FM on. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

My guess is you would see a decent uplift in performance from the 2014 model to the 2017 one, but trying it would be the only way to be sure. 

I can look for options for you, but I'm not convinced it's entirely necessary unless you desparately wish to avoid using your daily laptop to play FM on. 

Thanks!

I guess it is worth a try, I don't exactly do other things when playing FM so wouldn't be a huge issue. 

is 3.1GHz normally seen as decent for FM, or in the price range of 800 can you get something significantly better? If not I don't think the purchase will be worth it

10 minutes ago, benhoward12 said:

Thanks!

I guess it is worth a try, I don't exactly do other things when playing FM so wouldn't be a huge issue. 

is 3.1GHz normally seen as decent for FM, or in the price range of 800 can you get something significantly better? If not I don't think the purchase will be worth it

Clock speed isn't necessarily an indicator of performance. And whilst it is pretty much a certainty that for £800 you could get something to outperform the 2017 Mac (as to be honest, Macs are generally overpriced and underpowered), it's a case of whether you actually want to spend that kind of money on a new computer purely to play FM. 

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Clock speed isn't necessarily an indicator of performance. And whilst it is pretty much a certainty that for £800 you could get something to outperform the 2017 Mac (as to be honest, Macs are generally overpriced and underpowered), it's a case of whether you actually want to spend that kind of money on a new computer purely to play FM. 

Ok understood! Thank you :)

On 11/11/2020 at 04:24, bryn23 said:

Well i ended up ordering a M1 Apple Silicon Spec Macbook this morning, hopefully we  will see  some support from SI for FM2022 for M1 Silicon

I've kept my Intel based Macbook Pro for FM21, as i know these things  take time.

Was it a air or pro you ordered? And would it be ok if you keep this thread updated with how it is? 

Having played a little of the beta now, I've had to come to the realisation that my MacBook is at the end of what I can push from it. FM20 done ok, but 21 seems to be it's limit.

I can't afford a new MacBook and anything I do get will have to be on a form of credit. Argos, Very, etc. I would say looking £500-£700. Any suggestions?

39 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Having played a little of the beta now, I've had to come to the realisation that my MacBook is at the end of what I can push from it. FM20 done ok, but 21 seems to be it's limit.

I can't afford a new MacBook and anything I do get will have to be on a form of credit. Argos, Very, etc. I would say looking £500-£700. Any suggestions?

Main questions would be what else you use the laptop for (especially if you play other games). And if you don't play other games, do you play FM in 2D or 3D?

5 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Main questions would be what else you use the laptop for (especially if you play other games). And if you don't play other games, do you play FM in 2D or 3D?

Would just be for FM and Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher. I'm currently using a 2016 12" MacBook 1.3 Ghz Dual core intel M7, 8GB ram, Intel HD Graphics 515.

I'm looking at the Magicbook 14": https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7449341?clickSR=slp:term:magicbook:2:3:1

I mainly play 2D, but I like 3D replays.

Hi guys

Apologies if already touched on. Im using a Sierra 10.12.6 Mac Book Air. I seen somewhere that it is no longer supported. I played FM20 on it with absolutely no issues on it other than slightly less leagues/graphics.

If i bought FM21 do you think it would run for me? Don't want to fork out the money for it to not be supported.

Thanks in advance. 

22 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Would just be for FM and Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher. I'm currently using a 2016 12" MacBook 1.3 Ghz Dual core intel M7, 8GB ram, Intel HD Graphics 515.

I'm looking at the Magicbook 14": https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7449341?clickSR=slp:term:magicbook:2:3:1

I mainly play 2D, but I like 3D replays.

That's OK - if you can afford a bit extra, I'd suggest this instead.  It has the Ryzen 5 4500U (which is effectively the replacement for the processor in the one you linked).  It seems to be a fairly decent jump in performance over the 3500U, so if it's affordable would definitely be a worthwhile extra spend.

But, given you did say you are looking at doing it on credit, the one you've linked would still be fine.

13 minutes ago, PaddyMcG said:

Hi guys

Apologies if already touched on. Im using a Sierra 10.12.6 Mac Book Air. I seen somewhere that it is no longer supported. I played FM20 on it with absolutely no issues on it other than slightly less leagues/graphics.

If i bought FM21 do you think it would run for me? Don't want to fork out the money for it to not be supported.

Thanks in advance. 

It's entirely possible, but we can't guarantee.  I'd suggest waiting for the demo to come out (usually around the same time of the retail release) and seeing with that.

On 05/11/2020 at 15:40, bigmattb28 said:

Cheers mate. Not looking to upgrade if I can help it as I bought it from Box last year. Gave 20 a whirl but I never really got into it, and played 17 exclusively. But going to be staying on 21 from the Beta.

is it the medion razor by any chance?

29 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

That's OK - if you can afford a bit extra, I'd suggest this instead.  It has the Ryzen 5 4500U (which is effectively the replacement for the processor in the one you linked).  It seems to be a fairly decent jump in performance over the 3500U, so if it's affordable would definitely be a worthwhile extra spend.

But, given you did say you are looking at doing it on credit, the one you've linked would still be fine.

Sorry mate the link didn't work?

@kevhamsteri have a macbook pro and it really struggles with the 3d match engine and running a lot of leagues. I have read you can buy an external graphics card for my Macbook. Is this something you have come across before or is it worth paying £500-600 for a dedicated FM laptop? Any advice welcome cheers!

4 minutes ago, djhagster said:

@kevhamsteri have a macbook pro and it really struggles with the 3d match engine and running a lot of leagues. I have read you can buy an external graphics card for my Macbook. Is this something you have come across before or is it worth paying £500-600 for a dedicated FM laptop? Any advice welcome cheers!

Given how Apple are with what you can attach to their devices, I'd be surprised if this is possible.  I know there sometimes is a way you can do it with Windows PC's if you buy a special GPU caddy type thing, but it is cumbersome as hell, expensive, complicated and generally not recommended with how easily it can go wrong.

This however would do a grand job for you.  It has a dedicated graphics card which'll handle the 3D match graphics with ease and a very decent CPU: https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Given how Apple are with what you can attach to their devices, I'd be surprised if this is possible.  I know there sometimes is a way you can do it with Windows PC's if you buy a special GPU caddy type thing, but it is cumbersome as hell, expensive, complicated and generally not recommended with how easily it can go wrong.

This however would do a grand job for you.  It has a dedicated graphics card which'll handle the 3D match graphics with ease and a very decent CPU: https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

Thats great thank you very much. Would this be ok with all leagues loaded do you think? Sorry for all the questions!

5 minutes ago, djhagster said:

Thats great thank you very much. Would this be ok with all leagues loaded do you think? Sorry for all the questions!

We can't speculate how it will manage all leagues - in terms of how acceptable that is with the processing speed would be entirely subjective.  My expectations are not likely to be the same as yours, and as I've never personally tried playing with all leagues loaded I have no idea how his affects the processing anyway.

It's a strong CPU though.

6 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

We can't speculate how it will manage all leagues - in terms of how acceptable that is with the processing speed would be entirely subjective.  My expectations are not likely to be the same as yours, and as I've never personally tried playing with all leagues loaded I have no idea how his affects the processing anyway.

It's a strong CPU though.

Ok thanks, you have given me a bit to go on. Cheers!

hi, first time posting in this thread.  im looking for a new laptop, only really for fm21 and for general browsing and netflix etc nothing else major but can you please give me an opinion on the two links below. looking to have about 5 or 6 nations turned on in a save. 

https://www.box.co.uk/2D231EAABU-HP-255-G7_2920314.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3vCt7s797AIV2N_tCh1oZgsUEAkYAiABEgIjvfD_BwE

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-A715-75G-i5-9300H-Display-Windows/dp/B089BN7HVW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=fmblog-21&linkId=2226f7449475dacf3c03b55ce9ef202e&language=en_GB

39 minutes ago, afailed10 said:

Can anyone check if it runs in an older mbp retina 15" from early 2014? it is the i7 version with an nvidia gtx 750 2gb.

Much obliged! 

If you already have this computer, the best thing to do is to download the demo when it comes out and try for yourself.

There are 5 15" Macbook Pros listed from 2014 on https://everymac.com/ and none with the word Retina in, so I'd be purely guessing what spec it is.

All of them meet the base processor speed though, so in theory it should run.  How well though it harder to gauge given these models are 6 years old, so give the demo a try when it launches.

30 minutes ago, AK1927 said:

hi, first time posting in this thread.  im looking for a new laptop, only really for fm21 and for general browsing and netflix etc nothing else major but can you please give me an opinion on the two links below. looking to have about 5 or 6 nations turned on in a save. 

https://www.box.co.uk/2D231EAABU-HP-255-G7_2920314.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3vCt7s797AIV2N_tCh1oZgsUEAkYAiABEgIjvfD_BwE

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-A715-75G-i5-9300H-Display-Windows/dp/B089BN7HVW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=fmblog-21&linkId=2226f7449475dacf3c03b55ce9ef202e&language=en_GB

The Acer from Amazon is the stronger by some distance.  Faster processor so the game'll process quicker, plus you get a dedicated graphics card which'll be better for playing the matches in 3D.

You can however get the same spec machine, albeit with 256GB storage as opposed to the 512GB for £50 less here: https://www.box.co.uk/FX505GT-BQ008T-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505GT-BQ008T_2940903.html

I've only mentioned that as the other one you've linked also has 256GB storage, so if you're happy with that amount, this one would offer you the same performance for a bit less.

Current laptop has integrated graphics card and struggles to run the 3D match engine on anything above ‘Low’ settings (even this isn’t that smooth!). 
Just wondering what performance I can expect from a GTX 1650 or 1660 dedicated card with an i5 10300h or i7 9750h processor. Will it run the 3d match engine smoothly on high/ultra settings? 

18 minutes ago, KOSGS1 said:

Current laptop has integrated graphics card and struggles to run the 3D match engine on anything above ‘Low’ settings (even this isn’t that smooth!). 
Just wondering what performance I can expect from a GTX 1650 or 1660 dedicated card with an i5 10300h or i7 9750h processor. Will it run the 3d match engine smoothly on high/ultra settings? 

In short, yes. Easily. 

On 11/11/2020 at 05:24, bryn23 said:

Well i ended up ordering a M1 Apple Silicon Spec Macbook this morning, hopefully we  will see  some support from SI for FM2022 for M1 Silicon

I've kept my Intel based Macbook Pro for FM21, as i know these things  take time.

Hi

If you try FM on your new MacBook, would you be so kind to quote me if it’ll run?

3 hours ago, fallacy said:

Know real world testing hasn’t occurred on this yet but looks promising.....maybe even a viable option for a proper FM save?

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/11/apples-m1-chip-analysis/

I'd still avoid Macs personally.

£1,500.00 for a MacBook Pro, when the equivalently specced Windows machine is around half the price just strikes me as daylight robbery. 

I recall an interview with the head honcho of Oculus before Facebook snapped them up was asked when they'd make a VR headset that was compatible with Macs and he replied "When Apple finally manage to make a decent computer". 

5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

The Acer from Amazon is the stronger by some distance.  Faster processor so the game'll process quicker, plus you get a dedicated graphics card which'll be better for playing the matches in 3D.

You can however get the same spec machine, albeit with 256GB storage as opposed to the 512GB for £50 less here: https://www.box.co.uk/FX505GT-BQ008T-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505GT-BQ008T_2940903.html

I've only mentioned that as the other one you've linked also has 256GB storage, so if you're happy with that amount, this one would offer you the same performance for a bit less.

I've had a think and gone for the acer, thanks for all your help over the last week or two in both threads. Very much appreciated.

On 10/11/2020 at 21:29, kevhamster said:

The processor's base clock speed is below that suggested by SI as needed for the game, but given how processors have become more efficient over time, it doesn't necessarily mean the game won't run.  The CPU being able to hit the turbo boost speed does largely depend on it keeping the heat down, and FM is quite CPU intensive so it does have the potential to warm the CPU up somewhat.

If you own a previous version of FM, then give it a run and see how it plays.  If not, I suggest downloading the demo for FM20 and seeing how it runs.

I'm just about to fire up the FM21 beta for the first time, so I'll soon have an idea how it performs compared to last year's game.

Brilliant, thank you for your reply! 

I’m thinking about purchasing the ASUS ROG  G75VW Gaming Laptop for purely just gaming. Please find the specification below:

Hard drive capacity: 750GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 660M

Operating System: Windows 10 

RAM size: 16GB

Graphics processing type: Dedicated Graphics 

Processor: i7 3920XM

SSD capacity: 128GB

Processor speed: 2.90/3.80GHz 

Any thoughts? 

Many thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Junaid1999 said:

Brilliant, thank you for your reply! 

I’m thinking about purchasing the ASUS ROG  G75VW Gaming Laptop for purely just gaming. Please find the specification below:

Hard drive capacity: 750GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 660M

Operating System: Windows 10 

RAM size: 16GB

Graphics processing type: Dedicated Graphics 

Processor: i7 3920XM

SSD capacity: 128GB

Processor speed: 2.90/3.80GHz 

Any thoughts? 

Many thanks. 

It largely depends how much you're paying for it. 

But, considering the CPU is a few years old it actually holds up quite well according to the notebookcheck benchmarks. 

What other games are you playing? 

Edited by kevhamster

13 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It largely depends how much you're paying for it. 

But, considering the CPU is a few years old it actually holds up quite well according to the notebookcheck benchmarks. 

What other games are you playing? 

Brilliant, thank you! I am paying around £400 for it. 

I really only play Football Manager, but I sometimes play Minecraft.

30 minutes ago, Junaid1999 said:

Brilliant, thank you! I am paying around £400 for it. 

I really only play Football Manager, but I sometimes play Minecraft.

Ok, be aware that the graphics card meets the minimum requirements of the current version of Minecraft, but not the recommended requirements so it's unlikely to play that at the highest settings.  It should be absolutely fine for FM though.

This is clearly a used or refurbished machine given the age of the parts, so do make sure you're aware of what (if any) warranty it has, and that you're happy with it.

49 minutes ago, Junaid1999 said:

Brilliant, thank you for your help! Below is a link to a similar laptop I’m looking at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154085609245

Do you think this is worth it or are their better options available? 

It's certainly not awful in terms of the CPU.  Regardless, not sure I'd be wanting to spend that much on a laptop that old.

It really does depend on your budget though - bear in mind, this laptop is going to be as much as 8 years old, as both the CPU and graphics card came out in 2012, so you won't be getting any kind of warranty with it, so if it conks out after a few weeks you'll have no protection and an expensive paperweight!

For £600.00, you can get this: https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html, with a decent modern CPU and a dedicated graphics card which will run both FM and Minecraft with ease and you're going to get a 12 month warranty with it.  But it does largely depend on how much you can afford to spend.

Hi there. :)

I've had my current laptop for several years, and it struggles with FM, so I'm looking to upgrade. That also means I'm pretty out of touch with buying a new one, and what a decent one would cost...

I tend to use my laptop for FM and going online, including watching live sport. I don't edit videos/photos etc, or anything too flashy.

I don't really play any other games, certainly not regularly, so I'm not really looking for a big, chunky "gaming" laptop. More just a decent laptop, capable of comfortably playing FM21.

Budget-wise, as I say, no idea what is realistic really. £500 is probably my max, but if I could get something not too different for less than £400, I would probably edge that way.

To put it into the context of a mobile phone, I've recently gone for an iPhone SE2020... That's what I'm looking for in a laptop.

Thanks for your help. :applause:

4 minutes ago, kserasera said:

Yes, excellent spec.

19 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It's certainly not awful in terms of the CPU.  Regardless, not sure I'd be wanting to spend that much on a laptop that old.

It really does depend on your budget though - bear in mind, this laptop is going to be as much as 8 years old, as both the CPU and graphics card came out in 2012, so you won't be getting any kind of warranty with it, so if it conks out after a few weeks you'll have no protection and an expensive paperweight!

For £600.00, you can get this: https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html, with a decent modern CPU and a dedicated graphics card which will run both FM and Minecraft with ease and you're going to get a 12 month warranty with it.  But it does largely depend on how much you can afford to spend.

Understandable. I had no idea the laptop was that old! 

That looks decent. My budget is around £300-£500. £600 at a push. As long as I can find a laptop around that price range that can run Football Manager well, I’m not really bothered about playing any other games. 

Thank you for your feedback and help.

Do you have any suggestions/links to laptops around that price range that can run Football Manager well? I’m not really bothered about playing any other games, just FM. 

Many thanks.

Edited by Junaid1999

Thanks Kev, reassuring to know. I have had too many issues with previous laptops and overheating when trying to use the match engine so hoping this will sort out the issue long term. I currently have a stealth thin GS65 (few years old) which used to run the game fine until recently - the fan noise has become unbearably loud.

Looking forward to this HP Pavilion.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-3000-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-black-10214380-pdt.html 

https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html 

Which of these two has the better CPU? I know the second one has a dedicated Graphics card presumably making it better for FM. 

I put them in that notepad CPU comparison tool but I couldn't make much sense of it, so leaving it up to you smarter guys! 

I only play FM, have no interest in any other games. Other than that just general internet browsing, so the biggest draw is FM. I would want ot play on 3d and a decent graphics level and obviously have decent speed with a few leagues loaded, I usually only load the league I play in and a couple of surrounding countries (I know you can't comment on the exact speed with leagues etc). 

I previously posted about 14" v 15.6" but having weighed it up I'll probably just stick with the 15.6", it isn't worth switching for such an insignificant size difference. 

Any help would be great? 

5 minutes ago, NickmarJr said:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-3000-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-black-10214380-pdt.html 

Which of these two has the better CPU? I know the second one has a dedicated Graphics card presumably making it better for FM. 

I put them in that notepad CPU comparison tool but I couldn't make much sense of it, so leaving it up to you smarter guys! 

I only play FM, have no interest in any other games. Other than that just general internet browsing, so the biggest draw is FM. I would want ot play on 3d and a decent graphics level and obviously have decent speed with a few leagues loaded, I usually only load the league I play in and a couple of surrounding countries (I know you can't comment on the exact speed with leagues etc). 

I previously posted about 14" v 15.6" but having weighed it up I'll probably just stick with the 15.6", it isn't worth switching for such an insignificant size difference. 

Any help would be great? 

To my untrained eye the second one has the better processor. It's also the one I ordered and it turned up today!

2 minutes ago, Ginola* said:

To my untrained eye the second one has the better processor. It's also the one I ordered and it turned up today!

In that case you can give a real life experience of how it plays and the graphic settings in game etc, if you don't mind!

6 minutes ago, NickmarJr said:

In that case you can give a real life experience of how it plays and the graphic settings in game etc, if you don't mind!

I won't be playing it yet as I have to download all the logos and facepacks first!

Hi Kev!

I live in Spain now, so been trying to follow the thread and see who delivers here... (Had my eye on that Lenovo IdeaPad you recommend - but no delivery to Spain...)

How does this one look?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0877LFKR2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Cheers,

Paul

46 minutes ago, Junaid1999 said:

Understandable. I had no idea the laptop was that old! 

That looks decent. My budget is around £300-£500. £600 at a push. As long as I can find a laptop around that price range that can run Football Manager well, I’m not really bothered about playing any other games. 

Thank you for your feedback and help.

Do you have any suggestions/links to laptops around that price range that can run Football Manager well? I’m not really bothered about playing any other games, just FM. 

Many thanks.

If the one at £600 is too much of a stretch, then this would be my next suggestion within the price range: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9085538

It'll process the game at a reasonable rate, and the integrated graphics, based on my own experience with the previous generation of the Ryzen 5 processor, manages the 3D match engine on FM21 at mostly medium settings.  Should also be able to run Minecraft as well (although again not at max settings).

59 minutes ago, Chris_FM said:

Hi there. :)

I've had my current laptop for several years, and it struggles with FM, so I'm looking to upgrade. That also means I'm pretty out of touch with buying a new one, and what a decent one would cost...

I tend to use my laptop for FM and going online, including watching live sport. I don't edit videos/photos etc, or anything too flashy.

I don't really play any other games, certainly not regularly, so I'm not really looking for a big, chunky "gaming" laptop. More just a decent laptop, capable of comfortably playing FM21.

Budget-wise, as I say, no idea what is realistic really. £500 is probably my max, but if I could get something not too different for less than £400, I would probably edge that way.

To put it into the context of a mobile phone, I've recently gone for an iPhone SE2020... That's what I'm looking for in a laptop.

Thanks for your help. :applause:

You honestly won't get anything worthwhile at under £400.00.

The best I can currently find under £500.00 is this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9085538 (see my post above :) )

29 minutes ago, NickmarJr said:

Any help would be great? 

The second one is considerably stronger in terms of both CPU and graphical capabilities.