FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/10/2021 at 09:06, kevhamster said:

Looking over the thread and queries this one jumped out at me based on budget and approach to FM - looking at the link i see this one also available and wondered what is it i would get for my £50 extra?

39P48EA#ABU, HP Pavilion 15-ec1002na AMD Ryzen 5 8GB | Box.co.uk

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, larsson-is-god said:

Looking over the thread and queries this one jumped out at me based on budget and approach to FM - looking at the link i see this one also available and wondered what is it i would get for my £50 extra?

39P48EA#ABU, HP Pavilion 15-ec1002na AMD Ryzen 5 8GB | Box.co.uk

Thanks in advance

The only difference I can see is the size of the SSD - the cheaper one is 256GB and the other is 512GB.

Depending on what you intend to do with the laptop, the 256GB option may well be enough for you.

22 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Thanks for this advice. I was all set to go with the MSI Katana GF66 for £900, however I have noticed this: ACER Nitro 5 AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 16GB 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB 15.6 Inch Windows 10 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct and whilst it is over my initial budget, it seems to me that for an additional £80 I would get an extra 8GB RAM and the upgraded RTX 3060 graphics card. I don't think I need either, but surely that would future proof me a wee bit further for just an extra £80.

I just wondered if you thought this upgrade on spec was too good to pass up ?

4 hours ago, wilcock54 said:

Thanks for this advice. I was all set to go with the MSI Katana GF66 for £900, however I have noticed this: ACER Nitro 5 AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 16GB 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB 15.6 Inch Windows 10 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct and whilst it is over my initial budget, it seems to me that for an additional £80 I would get an extra 8GB RAM and the upgraded RTX 3060 graphics card. I don't think I need either, but surely that would future proof me a wee bit further for just an extra £80.

I just wondered if you thought this upgrade on spec was too good to pass up ?

The 3060 is far better than the 3050 TI.

It's a sensible upgrade - go for it. 

Extra RAM will be a plus in general. 

And the processor is even slightly better.

It's a great price - and a fantastic find.

https://www.box.co.uk/FX506HE-HN018T-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-F15-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-RA_3617147.html

Am looking at this laptop.

Would prefer 17" but out of my price range unfortunately. 

Thinking of waiting for black friday.

Think it would be ok for over 100,000 + players and running at least three leagues.

Thing that worries me is 512gb?

You guys have any thoughts on this?

Hi

just joined and read the last few post as I m looking at getting a laptop for fm22 

ive come across this one just wanted some honest opinions if it’s good and what it would be able to run and how does the graphics card and processor. 
is it worth getting the intel i7 or go lower with i5 or won’t it last as long in the long run. I only really be using it for fm22, little bit of excel and internet so nothing major 

Thanks 

Ash 

https://www.johnlewis.com/acer-nitro-5-an515-55-laptop-intel-core-i7-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-ssd-15-6-inch-full-hd-black/p5435909?sku=239780083&

9 hours ago, Smurf said:

The 3060 is far better than the 3050 TI.

It's a sensible upgrade - go for it. 

Extra RAM will be a plus in general. 

And the processor is even slightly better.

It's a great price - and a fantastic find.

Thanks. Purchased. Appreciate your time to reply.

11 hours ago, thnigelfc said:

https://www.box.co.uk/FX506HE-HN018T-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-F15-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-RA_3617147.html

Am looking at this laptop.

Would prefer 17" but out of my price range unfortunately. 

Thinking of waiting for black friday.

Think it would be ok for over 100,000 + players and running at least three leagues.

Thing that worries me is 512gb?

You guys have any thoughts on this?

Good spec overall - if you're worried about it being 512GB, my main question would be what you were using the laptop for aside from FM?

7 hours ago, croftsy8 said:

Hi

just joined and read the last few post as I m looking at getting a laptop for fm22 

ive come across this one just wanted some honest opinions if it’s good and what it would be able to run and how does the graphics card and processor. 
is it worth getting the intel i7 or go lower with i5 or won’t it last as long in the long run. I only really be using it for fm22, little bit of excel and internet so nothing major 

Thanks 

Ash 

https://www.johnlewis.com/acer-nitro-5-an515-55-laptop-intel-core-i7-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-ssd-15-6-inch-full-hd-black/p5435909?sku=239780083&

It's good, but for the same price this is better: https://www.box.co.uk/FX506HE-HN018T-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-F15-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-RA_3617147.html

10 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Good spec overall - if you're worried about it being 512GB, my main question would be what you were using the laptop for aside from FM?

Not much really music photos but guess I could buy external drive for that. 512gb would be lowest I've had so wasnt sure how much it would hold.

One for the techies. I bought a laptop primarily for design / coding (HP Spectre) but wanted to play a bit of FM every now and then.

I have 8GB of graphics memory (Iris Xe) but only 128MB of dedicated.

As far as I know, referring to dedicated memory is legacy and should no longer be an issue. Your should get 50% of system memory going towards graphics.

I have a one star rating on FM21 and anything past medium and the system lags massively.

How can I allocate more memory to FM? Tried the registry hack, but no luck. Any ideas? Cheers

3 hours ago, croftsy8 said:

What’s the difference between the two? Are ASUS better the Acer? I can get the Acer one for £750 so would it be worth paying £900 for the ASUS? 

Really don't know which two you want to compare. Acer and Asus are very good makes, both Taiwan and reliable computers. One may be more expensive for reasons like like weight, different battery capacity, different screen quality, keyboard etc. various reasons. The main thing is to get the components best for FM if that's your maing goal is playing FM to the maximum you can on your budget.

That's why this thread exists, it's so people can best utilise the amount of money they are spending - which is a lot of money. 

The main aim is people get the best bang for the buck for FM. As FM is not like other games, where a mid-range processor and high-end graphics card is needed - FM is different and it's the opposite, you need a high end processor and mid-range graphics card. 

If you're playing other games - a good gaming laptop will do, and you go by budget and screen size in a gaming laptop website. 

But FM is different.

27 minutes ago, ChelseaFan said:

One for the techies. I bought a laptop primarily for design / coding (HP Spectre) but wanted to play a bit of FM every now and then.

As far as I know, referring to dedicated memory is legacy and should no longer be an issue. Your should get 50% of system memory going towards graphics.

I have a one star rating on FM21 and anything past medium and the system lags massively.

How can I allocate more memory to FM? Tried the registry hack, but no luck. Any ideas? Cheers

What's the specs on the computer - hit the window key and type in DXDiag. And hit Save All Information and post the DxDiag.txt file here - or copy and paste the info here.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Really don't know which two you want to compare. Acer and Asus are very good makes, both Taiwan and reliable computers. One may be more expensive for reasons like like weight, different battery capacity, different screen quality, keyboard etc. various reasons. The main thing is to get the components best for FM if that's your maing goal is playing FM to the maximum you can on your budget.

That's why this thread exists, it's so people can best utilise the amount of money they are spending - which is a lot of money. 

The main aim is people get the best bang for the buck for FM. As FM is not like other games, where a mid-range processor and high-end graphics card is needed - FM is different and it's the opposite, you need a high end processor and mid-range graphics card. 

If you're playing other games - a good gaming laptop will do, and you go by budget and screen size in a gaming laptop website. 

But FM is different.

It was for the acer nitre 5 and asus tuf laptops I was asking for the difference between. I was asking if the acer was good for the price and if it done everything ypu need for fm and another person said look at the asus. The links are below for the 2 laptops 

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

But FM is different.

It was for the 2 laptops below. I was looking at the acer and then someone said look at the asus so was trying to find out what the difference was and which one I should go for as last time I got a laptop was 15 years ago now so don’t have much of a clue https://www.box.co.uk/FX506HE-HN018T-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-F15-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-RA_3617147.html

54 minutes ago, croftsy8 said:

It was for the acer nitre 5 and asus tuf laptops I was asking for the difference between. I was asking if the acer was good for the price and if it done everything ypu need for fm and another person said look at the asus. The links are below for the 2 laptops 

It was for the 2 laptops below. I was looking at the acer and then someone said look at the asus so was trying to find out what the difference was and which one I should go for as last time I got a laptop was 15 years ago now so don’t have much of a clue https://www.box.co.uk/FX506HE-HN018T-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-F15-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-RA_3617147.html

The Asus is better from your links - this one.

There were two Acers on the page and I didn't know which one you wanted to compare.

56 minutes ago, croftsy8 said:

To clarify - better processor and graphics card.

7 hours ago, ChelseaFan said:

i am on iris xe as well and on 3440 x 1440p anything past medium will stutter. Hopefully Intel will have a updated drivers and get higher rating. I don't believe Iris Xe is rated 1 star.

17 hours ago, ChelseaFan said:

Decent processor - but the onboard graphics card is the stumbling block here.

YOu can buy external gpus if you wanted to boost performance of 3d match days.

But it's likely not worth it.

You can and should update your computer as often as possible.

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-ae000-x360-convertible-pc/16779579/model/18269381

16 hours ago, Smurf said:

The Asus is better from your links - this one.

There were two Acers on the page and I didn't know which one you wanted to compare.

Hi sorry to be a pain something is keep telling me to get the acer nitro. Would you be able to compare these two model ones a bit more and has 16/8gb, different processor and graphics cards but don’t really know which is better and where they rank. 
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-nitro-5-amd-ryzen-7-5800h-16gb-512gb-pcie-nvme-ssd-nvidia-geforce-rtx-nh.qbcek.007/version.asp

Always enjoy reading this thread.

I appreciate the time others are putting in to help on here.

Pretty sure SI are missing something here. Would be great if SI merged with someone to create specific laptops each year which would play that years game at specific speeds and stars or was FM approved etc. Wouldn’t be hard stick a big FM sticker on it and jobs a good one.

Edited by NEO-BAHAMUT-

2 hours ago, bahmet said:

1. As per the original post, we can't really answer this as everyone's expectations on what is acceptable is different.  It is a very good CPU though.

2. On FM21, it definitely should do.  

51 minutes ago, NEO-BAHAMUT- said:

Pretty sure SI are missing something here. Would be great if SI merged with someone to create specific laptops each year which would play that years game at specific speeds and stars or was FM approved etc. Wouldn’t be hard stick a big FM sticker on it and jobs a good one.

Given how different database setups affect the speed of the game (and how the star ratings for speed is quite flawed) I think SI would likely see this as being more trouble than it's worth!  

16 hours ago, croftsy8 said:

Hi sorry to be a pain something is keep telling me to get the acer nitro. Would you be able to compare these two model ones a bit more and has 16/8gb, different processor and graphics cards but don’t really know which is better and where they rank. 
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-nitro-5-amd-ryzen-7-5800h-16gb-512gb-pcie-nvme-ssd-nvidia-geforce-rtx-nh.qbcek.007/version.asp

They're both acer nitros

out of the two.

16 hours ago, chadsterbrc said:

The dell has a larger harddrive.

If eyestrain is a thing for you - the 60hz could be an issue - but it's typical in most laptops/monitors.

Optimal is about 120hz.

They are all roughly the same. You can increase the Hard Drive size at a later time.

So go for the higher refresh rate in this case - and upgrade the SSD in a few years.

13 hours ago, Rookie FM said:

Go for  Acer Nitro(Because it got 144Hz Refresh) where Lenovo(120Hz Refresh) but Avoid Dell due to 60Hz Refresh!

120hz is optimal - but nothing wrong with more.

13 hours ago, bahmet said:

1. All of them (in that once you're happy with all the leagues you have loaded and it runs to your satisfaction - you can technically load every league)

2. Maybe

What about this one?

https://www.banggood.com/ThundeRobot-911MT-15_6-inch-Intel-i5-11260H-NVIDIA-RTX3050-8GB-DDR4-RAM-512GB-PCIe-SSD-144Hz-Refresh-Rate-DLSS-2_0-Backlit-Gaming-Laptop-For-LOL-GTA5-Genshin-PUGA-COD-CS-GO-Battlefield-V-p-1864299.html?cur_warehouse=HK&rmmds=CategoryComputersPri

11 hours ago, NEO-BAHAMUT- said:

Being a software company and not a hardware company it would make little or no sense to move into hardware.

Then if it's not working then it's difficult for them to justify the computers. You can run FM on a very low spec machine. 

But the point of this thread is to get the best bang for your buck - as it's a lot of money for people.

Some people only have £300 and some have £400 some have £500/£600 up to £2000 or even £3000

And laptops are priced strangely - 

2 laptops priced at £1000 might not be equal in spec - and best for FM.

Some laptops are priced at £1000 are built for portablitiy, so house lightweight components - and thinner laptops - which drives up the price  - even though it's lower spec.

And some are better spec, but heavier, bulkier, etc. 

The purpose here is to find out about the users needs, are they on a bus every day, train, or a desktop replacement, is it going to move around a lot. 

There was a kid on here a few years ago whose parents split up and they agreed to buy him a laptop so he could play FM. He wanted something that they could bring to each of their houses when staying with one or the other. So portablity and playability was important for him.

Everyone is in different situations and require different needs.

So - the purpose here is to find out the needs of the buyer, what the budget is - and what you can actually get that is best for FM and the user.

It's such a niche thread.

59 minutes ago, Sanel said:

New MacBook Pro 14 inch worth buying? (not looking for a Windows laptop), price puts me off though. Might just stay with the 13 inch for a good while.

If you can wait a few weeks I can let you know

Ordered one last night (the top level Pro chip - ie not the Max) with 32GB RAM.

NB This was ordered for (and by, for that matter) work - wouldn’t advise it if your only purpose is to play FM. I’d imagine it will run FM to a VERY high level - but then the M1 Air runs FM brilliantly, and for less than half the price.

Edited by TopToffee

29 minutes ago, Sanel said:

New MacBook Pro 14 inch worth buying? (not looking for a Windows laptop), price puts me off though. Might just stay with the 13 inch for a good while.

So the 14 inch are the new Mac M1 chip. 

They are as good as an i9 processor - so well worth it. 

However, why stick with Mac? I have to ask - you'll be paying upwards of £1899

You can get a way better laptop for that price - I know you're not looking for Windows.

But it's insane money.

For example

https://www.box.co.uk/GA401QE-HZ055T-ASUS-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-R_3611012.html
£1,299.97

This has 16 gb RAM and a dedicated graphics card.

It also has a 1TB hard drive.

If you input that into the Macbook Pro 14 inch

It actually brings the price up to

£2099

Compared to PC
£1,299.97

I'm just saying - think about this.

Nothing wrong with Mac.

The price of the 13 inch mac for 16 gb RAM and 1TB ssd

£1899

Totally up to  you.

9 minutes ago, 3LionsFM said:

Middle one

5 minutes ago, TopToffee said:

Ordered one last night (the top level Pro chip - is not the Max) with 32GB RAM.

NB This was ordered for (and by, for that matter) work - wouldn’t advise it if your only purpose is to play FM. I’d imagine it will run FM to a VERY high level - but then the M1 Air runs FM brilliantly, and for less than half the price.

How much was it?

I'd imagine any computer over £2000 would play FM at a very high level.

49 minutes ago, TopToffee said:

Ordered one last night (the top level Pro chip - is not the Max) with 32GB RAM.

I'm curious how well it would run FM. The M1 on the 13 inch runs very well. I think this one is just a bit too much and it's expensive as well. 

I'm worried about the resolution though, the 14 inch runs on 3024 x 1964. The 16 inch (Intel) runs a similiar resolution and it runs FM fuzzy. 

Might just stick with my beloved 13 inch just because of these things.

@Smurf Thanks for the post, as always. I've had this debate with myself in the past and decided to stick with Mac for mostly build quality.

Edited by Sanel

30 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Thanks. My existing gaming laptop is this one ASUS - TUF FX705DY 17.3" AMD Ryzen 5 RX 560X Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD

It has a 1TB HDD and 128 SSD.

The one that you recommended - ASUS TUF Dash F15 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3060, 512 GB SSD only has 512GB SSD? Is it worth the price with less storage or would the graphic capability outweigh the lower storage capacity? Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, 3LionsFM said:

Thanks. My existing gaming laptop is this one ASUS - TUF FX705DY 17.3" AMD Ryzen 5 RX 560X Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD

It has a 1TB HDD and 128 SSD.

The one that you recommended - ASUS TUF Dash F15 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3060, 512 GB SSD only has 512GB SSD? Is it worth the price with less storage or would the graphic capability outweigh the lower storage capacity? Thanks. 

Well - how much storage are you using now on your existing laptop?

SSDs are easy to upgrade and cheap - plus you could get external storage if really needed.

512gb should be plenty.

I've 724gb free on my 1tb hard drive and had this computer for about 5 years.

10 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Well - how much storage are you using now on your existing laptop?

SSDs are easy to upgrade and cheap - plus you could get external storage if really needed.

512gb should be plenty.

I've 724gb free on my 1tb hard drive and had this computer for about 5 years.

About three quarters of the SSD and maybe 1/4 or 1/5 of the HDD

45 minutes ago, Sanel said:

@Smurf Thanks for the post, as always. I've had this debate with myself in the past and decided to stick with Mac for mostly build quality.

Don't  be fooled - build quality is ok. It has actually gotten some negative attention since 2017/2018 models and up.

It's completely up to you. It's the money side of things I am more concerned with, but if you're happy with parting with that amount of money then sobeit.

49 minutes ago, Sanel said:

I'm curious how well it would run FM. The M1 on the 13 inch runs very well. I think this one is just a bit too much and it's expensive as well. 

There's a benchmark thread around here with the M1 chip benchmarked on it.

11 minutes ago, Smurf said:

There's a benchmark thread around here with the M1 chip benchmarked on it.

1 hour ago, Sanel said:

I'm worried about the resolution though, the 14 inch runs on 3024 x 1964. The 16 inch (Intel) runs a similiar resolution and it runs FM fuzzy. 

Might just stick with my beloved 13 inch just because of these things.

I'm getting the 14" MacBook Pro.
I already decided to get the 10-Core CPU with 16-Core GPU.

But I'm still debating if I should get:

• 16GB + 1TB = € 2.584,56 
  • 32GB + 512GB = € 2.799,94

Prices are from the Education Store in The Netherlands.

32GB + 1TB = € 3.016,53 That's a bit too much. ;)

Do you guys think I will get much benefit from 32GB in combination with FM? Or will 16GB be enough?

My gut feeling is saying I should get the 32GB + 512GB storage option. Memory isn't upgradeable where storage is expendable via the internal SD-card slot or with an external SSD.

17 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

I'm getting the 14" MacBook Pro.
I already decided to get the 10-Core CPU with 16-Core GPU.

But I'm still debating if I should get:

• 16GB + 1TB = € 2.584,56 
  • 32GB + 512GB = € 2.799,94

Prices are from the Education Store in The Netherlands.

32GB + 1TB = € 3.016,53 That's a bit too much. ;)

Do you guys think I will get much benefit from 32GB in combination with FM? Or will 16GB be enough?

My gut feeling is saying I should get the 32GB + 512GB storage option. Memory isn't upgradeable where storage is expendable via the internal SD-card slot or with an external SSD.

First question, is what else you're doing with the computer?

If FM is your main thing, then 16GB is plenty.

If you're doing heavy duty things like video editing, graphic design etc then you may need to consider 32GB.

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

First question, is what else you're doing with the computer?

If FM is your main thing, then 16GB is plenty.

If you're doing heavy duty things like video editing, graphic design etc then you may need to consider 32GB.

I don't do heavy duty things. Some light use of Final Cut Pro, Lightroom Classic etc.
But not work related. It will be primarily used for casual browsing, e-mail, Football Manager etc.
I also intent to use Parallels Desktop .. so that's why I'm debatting about the RAM.

But I also read that Apple Silicon uses RAM in a different way than "traditional" PC's. So that on a normal PC, 16GB would be the bare minimum .. while on Apple Silicon it's overkill for most of the tasks?

But I want to use it for several years .. so I don't want to regret it.

2 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

I don't do heavy duty things. Some light use of Final Cut Pro, Lightroom Classic etc.
But not work related. It will be primarily used for casual browsing, e-mail, Football Manager etc.
I also intent to use Parallels Desktop .. so that's why I'm debatting about the RAM.

But I also read that Apple Silicon uses RAM in a different way than "traditional" PC's. So that on a normal PC, 16GB would be the bare minimum .. while on Apple Silicon it's overkill for most of the tasks?

But I want to use it for several years .. so I don't want to regret it.

I think @Smurfis probably better off giving an insight into this with his background in graphic design.

For FM, 16GB will be plenty, but the other tasks you've mentioned are actually far more resource intensive than FM, so I'd gear your setup towards those more than FM.