FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

5 hours ago, cervo06 said:

Hi, I also checked the list in the link above and I found this laptop - Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ACH6 Shadow Black - Gaming Laptop | Alzashop.com

It has AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, which is rated higher than all of the processors I mentioned above (I guess mostly because of 8 cores compared to 4/6) and still has GeForce 3060 6GB and 16GB RAM.

So compared to these two Lenovo Legion 5-15ACH6H - Gaming Laptop | Alzashop.com ASUS TUF Dash F15 FX516PM-HN023T sivý herný notebook | Nay.sk it should be slightly better, right?

Thanks

Correct.  The Ryzen 7 5800H is definitely the strongest processor of the three.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally buying a new PC after 10 years. My current one has a i5-3470, 8Gb DDR3 and a Nvidia GT640. I am surprised at how well it has lasted but it is finally time to upgrade. I am currently looking at the following

i7 11700K

32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz

970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe 1.3 M.2

GeForce GTX 1650

I know its probably overpowered but I want it to be usable for many years. My wife will use it for work sometimes which is only word processing and publisher and besides FM it will only be used for browsing and playing the other game I like, Patrician 3 (old school I know) Obviously the system is fairly high end but my current PC has meant I can't play many leagues on FM. I would really like to be able to play FM with most leagues not necessarily playable but with a lot of detail eg 150,000-200,000 players. What are peoples thoughts? Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

Edited by canberraguy

On 08/10/2021 at 20:55, canberraguy said:

Finally buying a new PC after 10 years. My current one has a i5-3470, 8Gb DDR3 and a Nvidia GT640. I am surprised at how well it has lasted but it is finally time to upgrade. I am currently looking at the following

i7 11700K

GeForce GTX 1650

I know its probably overpowered but I want it to be usable for many years. My wife will use it for work sometimes which is only word processing and publisher and besides FM it will only be used for browsing and playing the other game I like, Patrician 3 (old school I know) Obviously the system is fairly high end but my current PC has meant I can't play many leagues on FM. I would really like to be able to play FM with most leagues not necessarily playable but with a lot of detail eg 150,000-200,000 players. What are peoples thoughts? Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

You probably don't need 32GB RAM, but otherwise pretty sound I'd say. Excellent CPU and not going OTT for the graphics card, as the 1650 is still more than enough to max out FM's graphics. 

Hi community,

What comp specs would I need to load 3-5 leagues with very high performance on new FM22?

current specs for FM21 really poor 

AMD A4-9125 Processor
- Dual-core
- 2.3 GHz / 2.6 GHz
- 1 MB cache 
4 GB DDR4 
64 GB eM
Edited by M3RY

17 hours ago, thnigelfc said:

Hi guys looking for best laptop for playing FM on. Needs to be fast and have a burner disc drive have about £800 maybe bit more.

Are you saying you need a CD or DVD read/write drive, or a BluRay Read/Write?

Normally these are not included in laptops today and you can buy them as external drives for very cheap.

Would you be ok with getting an external burnder drive? 

11 hours ago, xLiamReynoldsx said:

Just got a laptop with the following specs - Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

Gathering this'll run 150k+ players with no issues?

As per the opening post - there's no way anyone can tell you this.

Yes you can run 150k+ players - however, what I consider no issues you might consider to be issues.

For example, 20 mintues processing per day might be fine for me - it might be too slow for you.

It might run quick for 1 season, or 2 seasons or 5 seasons.

But if you were to play for 100 seasons you might notice significant slow down.

It's all relative to what you find acceptable. 

4 hours ago, M3RY said:

Hi community,

What comp specs would I need to load 3-5 leagues with very high performance on new FM22?

current specs for FM21 really poor 

AMD A4-9125 Processor
- Dual-core
- 2.3 GHz / 2.6 GHz
- 1 MB cache 
4 GB DDR4 
64 GB eM

As per the opening post (and the reply above) there's no way to tell you this in any shape or form.

You must specify your budget

and an indication of where you are buying (UK/Ireland/Germany/France?)

Your budget will determine the computer specifications - and then you can play whatever amount of leagues and database size you want to - as long as you're happy with the performance.

Hello, 

I'm looking to buy a new laptop to use for FM only, I'm budgeting myself between 600-700 pounds. Ideally I'd like one that would be able to run the 3D match engine on the highest setting and I usually play with a large  custom database with 7-8 playable nations. Any advice that could be offered is greatly appreciated 

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Are you saying you need a CD or DVD read/write drive, or a BluRay Read/Write?

Normally these are not included in laptops today and you can buy them as external drives for very cheap.

Would you be ok with getting an external burnder drive? 

As per the opening post - there's no way anyone can tell you this.

Yes you can run 150k+ players - however, what I consider no issues you might consider to be issues.

For example, 20 mintues processing per day might be fine for me - it might be too slow for you.

It might run quick for 1 season, or 2 seasons or 5 seasons.

But if you were to play for 100 seasons you might notice significant slow down.

It's all relative to what you find acceptable. 

As per the opening post (and the reply above) there's no way to tell you this in any shape or form.

You must specify your budget

and an indication of where you are buying (UK/Ireland/Germany/France?)

Your budget will determine the computer specifications - and then you can play whatever amount of leagues and database size you want to - as long as you're happy with the performance.

Hi, thanks for response. Purchasing in uk and budget around 350-500

On 08/10/2021 at 20:55, canberraguy said:

i7 11700K

GeForce GTX 1650

Where's this advertised? How much is it, Looks good!

57 minutes ago, cruyff14 said:

Hi, I'm looking into upgrading and like the look of this one. what are peoples thhoughts on the processor though as I like to run a large database and leagues for my saves

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-dark-tower-ryzen-5-5600x-6-core-4.6ghz-nvidia-rtx-3060-12gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming.html

If you're able to upgrade to the Ryzen 8 Core then it would be beneficial imo.

1 minute ago, cruyff14 said:

Could you give me a few processors I should keep an eye ut for please?

@kevhamster + @Smurf are most likely better at answering this question. I just felt for the extra it's definitely worth going with the Ryzen 5800X if you're able to stump up some more cash. However looking at the set up of the desktop in question, there is probably some more areas I'd look at as well. You'll most likely have to upgrade the memory and storage.

Evening folks,

Buying a new laptop due to touch being unplayable now on iPad Pro. 

Any thoughts on whether the following spec would run the new game release

Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor
- Quad-core
- 2.4 GHz / 4.2 GHz 
- 8 MB cache
RAM - 8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)
- 16 GB maximum installable RAM
Graphics card Intel® Iris® Xe integrated graphics
Storage

256 GB SSD

many thanks in advance

Alan

21 hours ago, dede1995 said:

Hello, 

I'm looking to buy a new laptop to use for FM only, I'm budgeting myself between 600-700 pounds. Ideally I'd like one that would be able to run the 3D match engine on the highest setting and I usually play with a large  custom database with 7-8 playable nations. Any advice that could be offered is greatly appreciated 

https://www.box.co.uk/1D5F9EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-ec1008na-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3554471.html

21 hours ago, M3RY said:

Hi, thanks for response. Purchasing in uk and budget around 350-500

Hi,

There's very little in that budget to recommend to be honest.  This is the best I can currently see, which is a refurb model with 12 months warranty.  

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/eh0007na/

2 hours ago, Alan C said:

Evening folks,

Buying a new laptop due to touch being unplayable now on iPad Pro. 

Any thoughts on whether the following spec would run the new game release

Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor
- Quad-core
- 2.4 GHz / 4.2 GHz 
- 8 MB cache
RAM - 8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)
- 16 GB maximum installable RAM
Graphics card Intel® Iris® Xe integrated graphics
Storage

256 GB SSD

many thanks in advance

Alan

Yes it would.

7 hours ago, kevhamster said:

To be honest, the one you posted was absolutely fine.  The CPU in it is excellent.

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking Ryzen 7 is the way to go as I'm not to fussed about having the best graphics card and if I can get a faster processor by saving on the graphics then that's what I'll do

1 minute ago, cruyff14 said:

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking Ryzen 7 is the way to go as I'm not to fussed about having the best graphics card and if I can get a faster processor by saving on the graphics then that's what I'll do

Which Ryzen 7 specifically?

On 11/10/2021 at 01:11, Colorado said:

Where's this advertised? How much is it, Looks good!

Nowhere! I'll buy the parts and build it myself. Alternatively you can choose your parts and have it made for you. In Australia a good site is Mwave, I'm sure there are similar websites where you are. Cost will be about A$2500

Cheers

Hi

I'd be very grateful if a person more knowledgeable than I could assess this laptop for FM only, I play no other games, and general usage i.e nothing more complicated than internet browsing and emails. I don't do any complicated things like video editing and all that. 

My budget is 1k euro so this maxes it. 

Many thanks.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15.6-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-512gb-black.html

Edited by irish kopite

22 minutes ago, irish kopite said:

Hi

I'd be very grateful if a person more knowledgeable than I could assess this laptop for FM only, I play no other games, and general usage i.e nothing more complicated than internet browsing and emails. I don't do any complicated things like video editing and all that. 

My budget is 1k euro so this maxes it. 

Many thanks.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15.6-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-512gb-black.html

Very nice.  Will do the job very well.

6 minutes ago, 3LionsFM said:

Will this gaming laptop I currently own be able to run FM22 to a moderate to high standard? E.g. highest graphics settings and 6-7 leagues loaded? 

"ASUS - TUF FX705DY 17.3" AMD Ryzen 5 RX 560X Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD"

Thanks. 

It should be fine, although that doesn't say which Ryzen 5 it has so can't say for sure.  

Again, as per the OP, we can't say how many leagues it will run to your liking.  FM22 is likely to be very similar to FM21 based on the specs though, so if you were happy with how it ran FM21 you should see no issues for FM22.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It should be fine, although that doesn't say which Ryzen 5 it has so can't say for sure.  

Again, as per the OP, we can't say how many leagues it will run to your liking.  FM22 is likely to be very similar to FM21 based on the specs though, so if you were happy with how it ran FM21 you should see no issues for FM22.

Thanks.

It is Ryzen 5 3550h with Vega 8 graphics.

FM21 ran to my liking just wanted to make sure before pre-ordering. 

Just now, 3LionsFM said:

Thanks.

It is Ryzen 5 3550h with Vega 8 graphics.

FM21 ran to my liking just wanted to make sure before pre-ordering. 

Based on what we currently know, FM22 should be fine if FM21 worked well on the setup.

On 03/10/2021 at 18:21, kevhamster said:

https://www.box.co.uk/39P48EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-ec1002na-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-_3561212.html

If you mean this one, then yes it'll be absolutely fine for what you're wanting.

How much above minimum requirements is this graphics card roughly speaking? I know its impossible to predict but just curious if it's viable to last for a couple of versions or if that's very unlikely. Thanks 

Edited by ItsComingHome

1 hour ago, ItsComingHome said:

How much above minimum requirements is this graphics card roughly speaking? I know its impossible to predict but just curious if it's viable to last for a couple of versions or if that's very unlikely. Thanks 

Considerably.

FM runs quite comfortably at medium settings or more on a lot of integrated GPUs.  It will not pose any challenge whatsoever to any currently sold dedicated graphics card.

Can anyone point me to a decent graphics card for fm22. I only use my PC for FM so I'm guessing it doesn't need to be too pricy?

What's the cheapest 5* and 4* options?  (Links would be great )

I know it maybe tough to answer with the game not released yet but I'm just trying not to shell out way more than I'd need to on a graphics card that will be way more powerful than I need. 

Thanks in advance 

21 minutes ago, Workington-afc said:

Can anyone point me to a decent graphics card for fm22. I only use my PC for FM so I'm guessing it doesn't need to be too pricy?

What's the cheapest 5* and 4* options?  (Links would be great )

I know it maybe tough to answer with the game not released yet but I'm just trying not to shell out way more than I'd need to on a graphics card that will be way more powerful than I need. 

Thanks in advance 

Graphics cards are both hard to come by and overly expensive at the moment.  But, here you go.  Fairly modest card by current standards but more than enough for FM.  Also, definitely overpriced, but not much you can do about that at the moment:

https://www.ebuyer.com/780604-msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-graphics-card-gtx-1050-ti-4gt-lp

Or, if you don't mind going for a pre-owned card:

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=SGRAAMDRADRX5604GB&gclid=CjwKCAjwh5qLBhALEiwAioods3uJJD6YDQG828LnkQSxWfkl8X0xtAUhxwB-JDV-Pw_hVNRIT94SEhoCiCEQAvD_BwE

Hi folks. After a few laptop years I'm looking at getting myself a desktop.  I would appreciate thoughts on the spec attached.

Whilst FM is an important, very important part of my requirements I will occassionally dip into other PC games, mainly sports sims and may get more into that again as I look to do away with the xbox. The machine would also get the usual net/multimedia/spreadsheet type stuff going on. I like the machine to be fast.

I like to operate dual monitor - generally I only see machines with 1 HDMI port - would it be as simple as getting one of those USB adapter plug-ins for the 2nd monitor?

One thing I noted in the reviews was what people were saying about the fan noise/heat so I've specced on a upgraded from standard cooler.

My appreciation and thanks to anyone in advance for their thoughts on this. I must admit my heads a bit lost looking at all the different make ups, etc.

alienware spec.png

8 minutes ago, OldManPar77 said:

Hi folks. After a few laptop years I'm looking at getting myself a desktop.  I would appreciate thoughts on the spec attached.

Whilst FM is an important, very important part of my requirements I will occassionally dip into other PC games, mainly sports sims and may get more into that again as I look to do away with the xbox. The machine would also get the usual net/multimedia/spreadsheet type stuff going on. I like the machine to be fast.

I like to operate dual monitor - generally I only see machines with 1 HDMI port - would it be as simple as getting one of those USB adapter plug-ins for the 2nd monitor?

One thing I noted in the reviews was what people were saying about the fan noise/heat so I've specced on a upgraded from standard cooler.

My appreciation and thanks to anyone in advance for their thoughts on this. I must admit my heads a bit lost looking at all the different make ups, etc.

alienware spec.png

Excellent CPU, decent graphics card.  I have a similar graphics card in my desktop and it's handled everything I've thrown at it (Cyberpunk 2077, Microsoft Flight Simulator, stuff like that).

What's the consensus on the AMD 5900X vs 5950X for FM? It is a $400 price premium here for the 5950X over the 5900X. Latest benchmark results doesn't show any evidence the 5950X is a better option for FM processing. For me probably the $400 is better spent going towards better memory and MB.

57 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

What's the consensus on the AMD 5900X vs 5950X for FM? It is a $400 price premium here for the 5950X over the 5900X. Latest benchmark results doesn't show any evidence the 5950X is a better option for FM processing. For me probably the $400 is better spent going towards better memory and MB.

If you run almost every nation and league then it does make a difference.  Assume by your comment you read the benchmarking thread and saw results?  No doubting it is faster, but I settled on 5900X and have zero complaints.  Thing crushes my typical setup (10-12 nations, 30ish leagues), and would agree, money spent better elsewhere.  With that CPU assume you would, but get a decent m.2 SSD.  Some people look past MB also, but to me it brings the whole lot together and I've had better results with more premium MBs that deliver more stable/consistent power.

15 hours ago, OldManPar77 said:

Thanks for that @kevhamster do you operate dual monitor? Does your desktop have 2 HDMI slots or is it other connections you use?

I personally don't, but could do.

I have the 1660 Super, and that has 1 HDMI ports and 2 display port connections, so could handle up to 3 monitors.  The 1660ti seems to have 1x HDMI, 1x Display Port and 1xDVI.

7 hours ago, Powermonger said:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X/4086vs4087

That would suggest there's virtually nothing between them, so go for the cheaper one.

The 5950x does have more cores, but purely for FM I would imagine it's very hard to justify an extra $400.

Edited by kevhamster

On 09/10/2021 at 16:38, thnigelfc said:

Hi guys looking for best laptop for playing FM on. Needs to be fast and have a burner disc drive have about £800 maybe bit more.

Was thinking a dvd write/burn drive but external would probably be ok.

Whats best laptop I could get in your opinion?

19 hours ago, Phil930 said:

If you run almost every nation and league then it does make a difference.  Assume by your comment you read the benchmarking thread and saw results?  No doubting it is faster, but I settled on 5900X and have zero complaints.  Thing crushes my typical setup (10-12 nations, 30ish leagues), and would agree, money spent better elsewhere.  With that CPU assume you would, but get a decent m.2 SSD.  Some people look past MB also, but to me it brings the whole lot together and I've had better results with more premium MBs that deliver more stable/consistent power.

I think the 5900X will be enough to replaced my aging 6th gen Intel processor. Currently my rig is a mATX form factor so will be sticking with mATX for now as I don't want to replace my case. This means I can only get a motherboard with B550 chipset as there are no decent mATX MBs running x570 chipset. Will be looking at a Gigabyte Aorus Pro AX B550M

13 hours ago, kevhamster said:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X/4086vs4087

That would suggest there's virtually nothing between them, so go for the cheaper one.

The 5950x does have more cores, but purely for FM I would imagine it's very hard to justify an extra $400.

Yeah not enough in it to justify the extra $400, I am not doing 3D modelling or anything intensive like that. Will be using the $400 towards updating my nvme SSD.

Hi,

I've read through this thread for days and I've learned a lot....i think.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop to run FM22 and hopefully future versions of the game. I want to push my budget to future proof myself as much as possible.

I understand that CPU is key and secondary to that is the graphics card. I would ideally not like to spend more than £900, but if there was something much better for a bit more then that would be ok.

I have picked out a few and wondered if you would be so kind as to offer your input on these or whether you think there is something better I've missed?

G513QC-HN014T, ASUS ROG STRIX G15 AMD Ryzen 5 8GB | Box.co.uk

FX506HE-HN018T, ASUS TUF GAMING F15 Intel Core i7 | Box.co.uk

MSI Katana GF66 11UD-250UK Core i7-11800H 8GB 512GB SSD 15.6 Inch FHD 144Hz GeForce RTX 3050 Ti 4GB Windows 10 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct

NH.QBVEK.001, Acer Nitro 5 (2021) Intel Core i5 8GB | Box.co.uk

Your help would be massively appreciated

@Powermonger - nothing wrong with B550.  That board is great.  Many prefer the B550 for lack of a chipset fan and quieter setup vs small fan whine.  Coming from 6th gen Intel, well, you'll be amazed by 5900x.  I came from an 8th gen Intel and never looked back.  Make sure to get Ryzen Master and enable auto OC.  

Edited by Phil930

15 minutes ago, Phil930 said:

@Powermonger - nothing wrong with B550.  That board is great.  Many prefer the B550 for lack of a chipset fan and quieter setup vs small fan whine.  Coming from 6th gen Intel, well, you'll be amazed by 5900x.  I came from an 8th gen Intel and never looked back.  Make sure to get Ryzen Master and enable auto OC.  

Cheers, I'll be sure to install Ryzen Master, looking forward to the performance boost away from my 5 year old build.

I'm back to looking at X570 too. If I can get hold of a Lian Li 011 Air Mini Mesh (case has been delayed by Lian Li a couple of months due to manufacturing issue) I may swing to that build and ditch my old Corsair mATX case. It will set me back another $400 to go the X570 route instead of sticking with mATX and B550.

10 hours ago, wilcock54 said:

Hi,

I've read through this thread for days and I've learned a lot....i think.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop to run FM22 and hopefully future versions of the game. I want to push my budget to future proof myself as much as possible.

I understand that CPU is key and secondary to that is the graphics card. I would ideally not like to spend more than £900, but if there was something much better for a bit more then that would be ok.

I have picked out a few and wondered if you would be so kind as to offer your input on these or whether you think there is something better I've missed?

G513QC-HN014T, ASUS ROG STRIX G15 AMD Ryzen 5 8GB | Box.co.uk

FX506HE-HN018T, ASUS TUF GAMING F15 Intel Core i7 | Box.co.uk

MSI Katana GF66 11UD-250UK Core i7-11800H 8GB 512GB SSD 15.6 Inch FHD 144Hz GeForce RTX 3050 Ti 4GB Windows 10 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct

NH.QBVEK.001, Acer Nitro 5 (2021) Intel Core i5 8GB | Box.co.uk

Your help would be massively appreciated

https://www.box.co.uk/FX506HE-HN018T-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-F15-Intel-Core-i7-8GB-RA_3617147.html or https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-katana-gf66-11ud-250uk-core-i7-11800h-8gb-512gb-ssd-15.6-inch-fhd-144hz-9s7-158212-250/version.asp are the ones I'd go for.  Strongest scoring CPU as per https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html?

image.thumb.png.a069f86b1c1a3e76e2024b54882345e1.png

Hey all you knowledgeable people

Would this be a decent laptop for FM? Would ideally run 5/6 countries with most/all league from them.  Would like decent graphics quality too and fairly quick

This one Dell G15 Gaming Laptop | Dell UK

Or this one Dell G15 Gaming Laptop | Dell UK

I can get 25% off these prices  through work as well so if it is a decent laptop then l will order

Thanks in advance

8 minutes ago, kstoyle said:

Hey all you knowledgeable people

Would this be a decent laptop for FM? Would ideally run 5/6 countries with most/all league from them.  Would like decent graphics quality too and fairly quick

This one Dell G15 Gaming Laptop | Dell UK

Or this one Dell G15 Gaming Laptop | Dell UK

I can get 25% off these prices  through work as well so if it is a decent laptop then l will order

Thanks in advance

Both are excellent - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html? shows that the Ryzen 7 based model edges it, but it's very close.  Either will do the job.

image.thumb.png.d827117cd415c04ee4d1217431255876.png