FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

7 minutes ago, mark_87 said:

Hello again Kev!

So to report back, the FM 2020 demo seems to be working fine and quick on running the English league. Does the demo of 2020 suggest that the full version 2021 should also be ok, with hopefully a few different leagues on? 

As nobody outside of SI apart from a select few Alpha testers have played FM21 it is impossible to say for certain.  But based on the recommended specs being broadly similar, I would hope so.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, roblink86 said:

Thanks Kev, I would like to prioritise speed over graphics as FM will be the only game I use the laptop for really. Annoyingly the Argos one is out of stock everywhere by the looks of it! 

Nowhere else has a laptop with that CPU for the same price except this one, however it has no OS included so if you buy this you'd need to buy Windows on top: https://www.box.co.uk/FA506IH-BQ027-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15-FA506IH-BQ027-(NO-OP_2913034.html

The other one is no slouch, and is the next best one in terms of CPU within the price range.

This one has the same CPU as the other one, but with the lesser graphics card (GTX 1050) that's in the Argos one for £599.99: https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

Edited by kevhamster

18 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Nowhere else has a laptop with that CPU for the same price except this one, however it has no OS included so if you buy this you'd need to buy Windows on top: https://www.box.co.uk/FA506IH-BQ027-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15-FA506IH-BQ027-(NO-OP_2913034.html

The other one is no slouch, and is the next best one in terms of CPU within the price range.

This one has the same CPU as the other one, but with the lesser graphics card (GTX 1050) that's in the Argos one for £599.99: https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

Thanks again Kev! 

Excuse my naivety! Is the lesser graphics on the Lenovo likely to be on issue with FM21? 

3 minutes ago, roblink86 said:

Thanks again Kev! 

Excuse my naivety! Is the lesser graphics on the Lenovo likely to be on issue with FM21? 

Not at all.

FM (whether it be 2021 or any other year) is not a graphically intensive game.  When I'm playing on a laptop, I have a Ryzen 5 2500U and play on 3D with the integrated graphics, and even that manages to play the 3D smoothly at medium to high settings.

Having a modern dedicated graphics card, even a lower end one (by currrent standards) such as the GeForce GTX 1050, will see the game's 3D match engine playable at the highest settings without issue, and unless SI do something drastic with the 3D engine in the coming years, that isn't going to change.

The graphics card SI recommend as the minimum for the game (the Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT) is a graphics card from 2014.  This shows the difference in capability between that card and the GTX 1050: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-9600M-GT/3650vsm7707

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Not at all.

FM (whether it be 2021 or any other year) is not a graphically intensive game.  When I'm playing on a laptop, I have a Ryzen 5 2500U and play on 3D with the integrated graphics, and even that manages to play the 3D smoothly at medium to high settings.

Having a modern dedicated graphics card, even a lower end one (by currrent standards) such as the GeForce GTX 1050, will see the game's 3D match engine playable at the highest settings without issue, and unless SI do something drastic with the 3D engine in the coming years, that isn't going to change.

The graphics card SI recommend as the minimum for the game (the Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT) is a graphics card from 2014.  This shows the difference in capability between that card and the GTX 1050: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-9600M-GT/3650vsm7707

Awesome! Thanks for the thorough explanation! 

Just seen the beta has been released...enjoy!!

1 hour ago, Damse1994 said:

I think the speed of the game is fine on my current Macbook and I only play in 2D, so I guess the GPU aren't as important. Would it be worth it to splash out the ekstra 200 dollars on the i7?

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 20.12.30.png

I'd say if you're buying a Mac you're already overpaying, might as well spend the extra 200. It's an i7 over an i5 should be better.

5 minutes ago, roblink86 said:

Awesome! Thanks for the thorough explanation! 

Just seen the beta has been released...enjoy!!

Indeed.  It's downloading on said laptop as we speak!  I'd prefer to be starting it on my desktop PC, but I'm with my kids at their place tonight whilst their Mum's at work, so the old laptop it'll have to be!

Edited by kevhamster

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I'd say if you're buying a Mac you're already overpaying, might as well spend the extra 200. It's an i7 over an i5 should be better.

Thanks to both of you. I know i'm overpaying because it's a Macbook, i've never been happier with a laptop than i've been with this one, that's why im leaning towards a Macbook again. Do you know anything about their new M1 chip?

6 minutes ago, Damse1994 said:

Thanks to both of you. I know i'm overpaying because it's a Macbook, i've never been happier with a laptop than i've been with this one, that's why im leaning towards a Macbook again. Do you know anything about their new M1 chip?

Apple have revealed very little about their new processors.  This article suggests a significant performance increase on previous chips, but in truth it is all speculation until they come out.  From what I understand these are entirely based on a new chip architecture, and that could very well mean old apps you've been using on Macs on the previous chips may not be compatible with the new ones, unless new versions of the software designed to work with these chips are developed. 

That's not a definite though - I just know from old Windows apps that sometimes old x86 programs don't play so well with the newer x64 based systems.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/laptops/news/apple/152659-apple-silicon-what-does-it-mean-for-your-existing-mac-and-your-next-one

On 05/11/2020 at 14:32, Marki said:

Looking at this one .... https://www.box.co.uk/UM433IQ-A5044T-ASUS-ZenBook-14-UM433IQ-A5044T_2961565.html

Only 8GB of RAM is probably its weakest point that I can see.  Any thoughts welcome  

That said if my 4 year old Dell XPS can run FM21 as well as it runs FM20 I’ll wait til that falls over before making any changes. 

Hi mate. I was looking at recent XPS’ but I maybe read the specs wrongly. Would last years models run 21 smoothly you think?

I have a Medion Erazer P6705, which runs FM sweet. My friend is looking to invest in something similar with a budget of £700...

Thankyou in advance for any replies or suggestions

EDIT-Can list specs if required

Edited by nexting

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, so please bare with me.

I currently own a 13-inch MacBook Pro 2020. The specification is shown below:

- 1.4GHz quad-core 8th generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo boost up to 3.9GHz

- 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory 

- 256GB SSD storage 

- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 

I recently purchased it in June of this year and primarily use it for university work and just browsing the internet.

I am really keen to play Football Manager 2021 on it, however I’ve seen many contradictory comments regarding the performance of the MacBook Pro when playing FM, with some people saying it works perfectly fine whereas others saying the performance is poor.

Therefore, I was just wondering if anybody knows how well FM will perform on a MacBook Pro and if anybody else has had any experience playing FM on a MacBook Pro? 

I really appreciate any comments/feedback.

Many thanks. 

12 minutes ago, nexting said:

I have a Medion Erazer P6705, which runs FM sweet. My friend is looking to invest in something similar with a budget of £700...

Thankyou in advance for any replies or suggestions

EDIT-Can list specs if required

The best specced machine I've found within that price bracket this this one: https://www.box.co.uk/30029419-Medion-Crawler-E10_3201866.html

However, if the 256GB storage is too small, this is also good.  The CPU and graphics card aren't quite as strong, but it's still extremely capable: https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q87EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-Gaming-A715-75G_2934480.html

2 minutes ago, Junaid1999 said:

Hello all,

- 1.4GHz quad-core 8th generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo boost up to 3.9GHz

- 256GB SSD storage 

I recently purchased it in June of this year and primarily use it for university work and just browsing the internet.

I am really keen to play Football Manager 2021 on it, however I’ve seen many contradictory comments regarding the performance of the MacBook Pro when playing FM, with some people saying it works perfectly fine whereas others saying the performance is poor.

Therefore, I was just wondering if anybody knows how well FM will perform on a MacBook Pro and if anybody else has had any experience playing FM on a MacBook Pro? 

Many thanks. 

The processor's base clock speed is below that suggested by SI as needed for the game, but given how processors have become more efficient over time, it doesn't necessarily mean the game won't run.  The CPU being able to hit the turbo boost speed does largely depend on it keeping the heat down, and FM is quite CPU intensive so it does have the potential to warm the CPU up somewhat.

If you own a previous version of FM, then give it a run and see how it plays.  If not, I suggest downloading the demo for FM20 and seeing how it runs.

I'm just about to fire up the FM21 beta for the first time, so I'll soon have an idea how it performs compared to last year's game.

5 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The best specced machine I've found within that price bracket this this one: https://www.box.co.uk/30029419-Medion-Crawler-E10_3201866.html

However, if the 256GB storage is too small, this is also good.  The CPU and graphics card aren't quite as strong, but it's still extremely capable: https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q87EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-Gaming-A715-75G_2934480.html

Thanks for your reply. 

What could you suggest with a budget of £800?

Hello. Just have a quick question re spec on a laptop I'm after buying. With these specs should it run fine? Can't see anywhere on the specs about graphics though will that be an issue? See below:

Technical specifications for HP 14s-dq1505sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core i7, 512 GB SSD, Silver

OVERVIEW

Type Laptop

Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)

PERFORMANCE

Processor - Intel® Core i7-1065G7 Processor

- Quad-core

- 1.3 GHz / 3.9 GHz

- 8 MB cache

RAM 8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)

Storage 512 GB SSD

SCREEN

Touchscreen No

Screen size 14”

Screen type IPS LCD

Resolution Full HD 1920 x 1080p

Screen features - WLED-backlit

- 250 nits

- 45% NTSC

Appreciate the feedback.

4 minutes ago, Nelson22 said:

Hello. Just have a quick question re spec on a laptop I'm after buying. With these specs should it run fine? Can't see anywhere on the specs about graphics though will that be an issue? See below:

Technical specifications for HP 14s-dq1505sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core i7, 512 GB SSD, Silver

OVERVIEW

Type Laptop

Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)

PERFORMANCE

Processor - Intel® Core i7-1065G7 Processor

- Quad-core

- 1.3 GHz / 3.9 GHz

- 8 MB cache

RAM 8 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)

Storage 512 GB SSD

SCREEN

Touchscreen No

Screen size 14”

Screen type IPS LCD

Resolution Full HD 1920 x 1080p

Screen features - WLED-backlit

- 250 nits

- 45% NTSC

Appreciate the feedback.

I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post (and what is also stated in the opening post):

"The processor's base clock speed is below that suggested by SI as needed for the game, but given how processors have become more efficient over time, it doesn't necessarily mean the game won't run.  The CPU being able to hit the turbo boost speed does largely depend on it keeping the heat down, and FM is quite CPU intensive so it does have the potential to warm the CPU up somewhat."

FM21 states 1.8GHz as a suggested minimum (earlier games suggest 2.2GHz).  This has a base clock speed of 1.3GHZ.

With that in mind, I can't guarantee how well the game would run on that machine so it would be irresponsible to recommend it.  I don't have any specific experience with these CPU's, so prefer to err on the side of caution.

1 hour ago, Deansy85 said:

Hi mate. I was looking at recent XPS’ but I maybe read the specs wrongly. Would last years models run 21 smoothly you think?

Depends on the individual specs to be honest. There seems to be a trend towards lower processor speeds in machines of late from what I can see (may just be my perception). 

All I can say is that my XPS 13 from 2016 with an i7 6560U processor - integrated Iris Plus graphics - copes with FM20 just fine. 

Hi guys,

Thanks for setting up such an excellent and helpful forum.

I'm not very technical when it comes to these things but wanted to possible get back to playing FM rather than FMMoble and wanted to know if my laptop will handle FM21 before splashing out £35 and it doesn't.

I have a MacBook Air Retina 13" 2019  

1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (this may not be enough from what I gather but would 1 country work?)

8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB

With currently 42GB of 120GB free

One country (of leagues) will be fine for me if that's all it'll handle (obviously would prefer more) and I prefer the 2D match option than 3D (I'm a little old school in that way).

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Bryce

12 minutes ago, Bryce11 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for setting up such an excellent and helpful forum.

I'm not very technical when it comes to these things but wanted to possible get back to playing FM rather than FMMoble and wanted to know if my laptop will handle FM21 before splashing out £35 and it doesn't.

I have a MacBook Air Retina 13" 2019  

1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (this may not be enough from what I gather but would 1 country work?)

8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB

With currently 42GB of 120GB free

One country (of leagues) will be fine for me if that's all it'll handle (obviously would prefer more) and I prefer the 2D match option than 3D (I'm a little old school in that way).

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Bryce

It's below the minimum clock speed quoted by SI.  Doesn't necessarily mean the game won't run.  I'd suggest downloading the demo once it's available to see how it runs.

@Kevhamster & @Smurf thank you for what you do. It is genuinely appreciated. Always a good read through, with good questions and informative answers. I’m about to purchase this laptop https://computerdiscounts.co.uk/product/lenovo-laptop-14-320gb-hdd-8gb-ram-powerful-t420-core-i5-windows-10-dvd-webcam/ from my non-expertise perspective it seems to be a very good deal for a laptop that can comfortably cope with 4-5 leagues (I won’t be using this laptop for anything other than FM initially. Before I take the plunge, what do you think?

Thanks again

Edited by AbdiRash25

Well i ended up ordering a M1 Apple Silicon Spec Macbook this morning, hopefully we  will see  some support from SI for FM2022 for M1 Silicon

I've kept my Intel based Macbook Pro for FM21, as i know these things  take time.

6 hours ago, AbdiRash25 said:

@Kevhamster & @Smurf thank you for what you do. It is genuinely appreciated. Always a good read through, with good questions and informative answers. I’m about to purchase this laptop https://computerdiscounts.co.uk/product/lenovo-laptop-14-320gb-hdd-8gb-ram-powerful-t420-core-i5-windows-10-dvd-webcam/ from my non-expertise perspective it seems to be a very good deal for a laptop that can comfortably cope with 4-5 leagues (I won’t be using this laptop for anything other than FM initially. Before I take the plunge, what do you think?

Thanks again

I'm not a fan of listings like these, it just says i5 2.5GHz, without giving an actual processor model. 

Having a look into it, other listings for this laptop suggest this is a model from 2011 with a 2nd gen i5, which is quite poor by current standards. 

It does meet the minimum requirements set out by SI, but do be aware that the processing speed won't be that great. 

Also, if you play in 3D you're likely going to need to turn the settings down to minimal for a chance of a smooth experience. 

One other thing bothers me is that in the product description, software mentioned includes OpenOffice and Gimp both of which are 100% free anyway! 

Last thing I'll say is the truth is you're not going to get much at the £300 bracket. But if you can afford to stretch the budget to £340, this would offer you a better performance: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/a314-22/

11 hours ago, Damse1994 said:

Do you know anything about their new M1 chip?

Nobody does. This is the only info out there at the moment

the CPU is a 8-core chip with a BIG.little configuration, with four high-performance cores, and four power-efficient cores. Apple is also including an 8-core GPU in the SoC, which should be more powerful than the Intel Iris graphics found on lower-end MacBooks. 

Hardly ground breaking.

Edited by Smurf

3 hours ago, bryn23 said:

Well i ended up ordering a M1 Apple Silicon Spec Macbook this morning, hopefully we  will see  some support from SI for FM2022 for M1 Silicon

I've kept my Intel based Macbook Pro for FM21, as i know these things  take time.

We have no idea if it will work for FM.

8 hours ago, kevhamster said:

It's below the minimum clock speed quoted by SI.  Doesn't necessarily mean the game won't run.  I'd suggest downloading the demo once it's available to see how it runs.

Thanks! I'll give that a go when it comes out.

48 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I'm not a fan of listings like these, it just says i5 2.5GHz, without giving an actual processor model. 

Having a look into it, other listings for this laptop suggest this is a model from 2011 with a 2nd gen i5, which is quite poor by current standards. 

It does meet the minimum requirements set out by SI, but do be aware that the processing speed won't be that great. 

Also, if you play in 3D you're likely going to need to turn the settings down to minimal for a chance of a smooth experience. 

One other thing bothers me is that in the product description, software mentioned includes OpenOffice and Gimp both of which are 100% free anyway! 

Last thing I'll say is the truth is you're not going to get much at the £300 bracket. But if you can afford to stretch the budget to £340, this would offer you a better performance: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/a314-22/

Thanks for the insight as always Kev. Fortunate to have a little flexibility re budget so I’ll probably go with your suggestion. Just going to have one last look round to see if there’s a bette option in the same price range. Cheers 

21 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Got a laptop with i5 9th gen and intel integrated graphics 630

how will the new game play in 3D?

Not likely to be great.  Based on my own experience with an 8th Gen i5, for FM20 I had to turn the settings down to low to get a smooth experience on the 3D engine.

I also played the FM21 beta on my AMD based laptop (with integrated graphics a fair bit stronger than the Intel UHD 630) and had to select the medium preset with shadows and anti-aliasing off to get a 3D experience I was happy with.

If you're unsure and playing in 3D is important to you, I suggest waiting for the demo to become available and try that before purchasing.

Edited by kevhamster

11 minutes ago, Craigm1876 said:

https://www.ebuyer.com/947548-lenovo-v15-core-i5-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-win10-home-laptop-82c50075uk
could anyone help give an opinion on this? Would it run Fm? Currently got a laptop but only get half a star speed so looking to improve. Only load the leagues in scotland and England so wondered if it’d be quick

Base clock speed of 1GHz, so I'd avoid it.

https://www.box.co.uk/81LK0039UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2934443.html

This would be a much better option for the same price.  Much better CPU than that one at Ebuyer and a dedicated graphics card which will allow you to play in 3D at max settings.

image.png.a5d973fad64778741aa73d0980b5abbb.png

Edited by kevhamster

Alright guys, reading through this thread is a great help! Keep up the top work guys. 

I currently have a 15.6" laptop and was considering going to a 14" for portability reasons, however comparing one of the 14" laptops and 15.6" you guys poster there was only 3 cm difference in the overall dimensions, would you say this is standard? Therefore not worth going down to 14"? 

Also is there any major price differences from getting the same spec laptop in 14" or 15.6"? 

32 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Base clock speed of 1GHz, so I'd avoid it.

This would be a much better option for the same price.  Much better CPU than that one at Ebuyer and a dedicated graphics card which will allow you to play in 3D at max settings.

image.png.a5d973fad64778741aa73d0980b5abbb.png

Normally only play on 2D. Does that make a difference?

25 minutes ago, NickmarJr said:

Alright guys, reading through this thread is a great help! Keep up the top work guys. 

I currently have a 15.6" laptop and was considering going to a 14" for portability reasons, however comparing one of the 14" laptops and 15.6" you guys poster there was only 3 cm difference in the overall dimensions, would you say this is standard? Therefore not worth going down to 14"? 

Also is there any major price differences from getting the same spec laptop in 14" or 15.6"? 

Can't really say for sure as there are bound to be differences between models.. But the difference between 14" and 15.6" is around 3cm so you're likely correct. 

That said, my daughter has a 14" HP laptop and it is noticeably smaller than my 15.6" one. 

I personally though don't have an issue with the portability of my 15.6" model, but this kind of thing is entirely subjective so it's not really something we can guide you on. 

2 minutes ago, Craigm1876 said:

In terms of my advice on the CPU, no. I'll have a look of there's anything better without a dedicated graphics card to maximise the CPU performance for the same price though. 

13 minutes ago, Craigm1876 said:

Having looked around, I can't actually see anything for the same price or lower I'd consider to be a stronger option.  So I'd still go for the original one I suggested.

15 hours ago, Junaid1999 said:

Hello all,

- 256GB SSD storage 

Many thanks. 

I play fm20 on a 2015 MacBook Air. It’ll play but just with less leagues and low graphics 

9 hours ago, Smurf said:

Nobody does. This is the only info out there at the moment

Hardly ground breaking.

Thanks a lot for your reply. If you be Ground breaking mean that I won’t beat the top chips from AMD and Intel, then I’m okay with that. I am not after a gaming computer, but just want to make sure the new macs will run on the new MacBook. 

38 minutes ago, Damse1994 said:

Thanks a lot for your reply. If you be Ground breaking mean that I won’t beat the top chips from AMD and Intel, then I’m okay with that. I am not after a gaming computer, but just want to make sure the new macs will run on the new MacBook. 

We don't know what will run on them yet. A change in chip architecture can result in compatability issues with legacy software. 

5 minutes ago, benjanic9 said:

Hello,

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series. I am looking to upgrade with a budget of £500/600, fit for everyday use, as well as the obvious Football Manager capabilities. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

This seems very hard to beat in that price range:

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

We don't know what will run on them yet. A change in chip architecture can result in compatability issues with legacy software. 

I asked an SI supporter in another thread, who answered that the chip was based on Rosetta 2 so should be compatible. But as you also point out there’s no clear answer on the chips performance and whether they meet FMs minimum requirements. 

16 minutes ago, Ginola* said:

It’s the one I’m thinking of getting. I take it for £650ish there wouldn’t be any better?

If you play any other modern games, then this would be a good shout due to its higher spec graphics card: https://www.box.co.uk/FX505GT-BQ008T-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505GT-BQ008T_2940903.html

However, if you only play FM, stick with the cheaper one as everything else on it is the same.

I can't find anything better within the price range. And in fairness, the CPU in these is a very good one. 

Hi, 

I was wondering if you could provide some advice! 

I currently play FM on my old Macbook (2014), and it is only used for FM purposes otherwise I would of got rid! see specs below. I have never played it in any other laptop, so not sure if it is 'slow' but I would of thought there are a lot better options out there, especially with the sounds it makes! I purchased a new Macbook (2017) for my Uni work (specs are also below). 

How much difference in game speed would I see if I changed to the 2017 Mac and retire the 2014 ?? - Would it be fairly significant and why?

My only concern is that I don't want to damage the performance of my 2017 mac as it my daily laptop. 

Therefore, I would possibly look at purchasing a laptop just for FM use. My budget would be around £600-800

Any advice you could give would be very helpful! 

3eb1460e4552ef8eb3f2367b5449d2e1.jpg

26f64f644ad810a0e05ca69747d7b892.png

30 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

If you play any other modern games, then this would be a good shout due to its higher spec graphics card: https://www.box.co.uk/FX505GT-BQ008T-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505GT-BQ008T_2940903.html

However, if you only play FM, stick with the cheaper one as everything else on it is the same.

I can't find anything better within the price range. And in fairness, the CPU in these is a very good one. 

I’ve just ordered the £600 one. Thanks to you and @Smurf for the help.