Jump to content

FM21 - NEW PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Ginola* said:

My laptop has just died on me and all I really do on a laptop is play FM and CM 01/02. I don’t really want to spend more than £300 but that doesn’t look realistic judging by this thread!

Yeah, there's not a lot.  This is the best one I found, but it's not great: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8764348

I mean, it'll be grand for CM 01/02.  And it'll manage modern FM's, but will be quite slow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, ciaran_celtic said:

Any desktop recommendations for £300 ? Obviously not expecting a lot.

https://www.box.co.uk/Lenovo-V55t-15API-11CC0002UK-Business-_2845878.html

This is the best I can find.

The CPU is pretty decent, and the integrated graphics capability on this is pretty good as well, so will be able to handle the 3D match engine at medium to high settings.

The minus points are very low storage (128GB) and only 4GB RAM.

Edited by kevhamster
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2020 at 12:08, kevhamster said:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10750H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H/m1053158vsm1032976

This suggests that they are pretty much the same for single core and dual core, but the AMD starts to beat the Intel beyond that (although, there sample size for the i7 is almost 3 times that of the Ryzen, so take the benchmark results with at least a little pinch of salt).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html? scores the Ryzen at 25th and the i7 at 61st.

Bottom line is, there's not a huge amount in it and either will do an excellent job.

If prices are similar where all other specs are at the same level, I'd personally choose one with the Ryzen.   If there's a significant difference with the i7 coming out cheaper, I'd go for that.

for FM 2020 (2021) is there any difference between AMD and Intel? better compatibility? or so?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Yeah, there's not a lot.  This is the best one I found, but it's not great: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8764348

I mean, it'll be grand for CM 01/02.  And it'll manage modern FM's, but will be quite slow.

I’m so out of the loop on processors I don’t know what’s the best! I might have to up my budget to about £500 then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rkobets said:

for FM 2020 (2021) is there any difference between AMD and Intel? better compatibility? or so?

There's no difference in terms of compatibility.

AMD and Intel both do processors across the range from good to bad, so it's a case of finding the best that will fit your budget.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning All,

I have been playing FM since the Championship Manager games and must have spent thousands of hours playing it, however, my PC is about to pack in and I'm on the lookout for a new laptop that is going to be able to run FM21 smoothly.

I have a budget of around £500, does anyone know what I should be looking for in a new laptop in order to be able to play the game and for the loading times to be relatively quick? Any links to suggestions would be appreciated!

I have pre-ordered it and can't wait to dive in (hopefully tonight) and start a career with my team Blackburn. We have great squad depth this year so I'll be trying to get out of the championship at the first attempt!

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madon said:

Morning All,

I have been playing FM since the Championship Manager games and must have spent thousands of hours playing it, however, my PC is about to pack in and I'm on the lookout for a new laptop that is going to be able to run FM21 smoothly.

I have a budget of around £500, does anyone know what I should be looking for in a new laptop in order to be able to play the game and for the loading times to be relatively quick? Any links to suggestions would be appreciated!

I have pre-ordered it and can't wait to dive in (hopefully tonight) and start a career with my team Blackburn. We have great squad depth this year so I'll be trying to get out of the championship at the first attempt!

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

This is the best one I've found in the price range: 

https://ao.com/product/1n7v2eaabu-hp-laptop-silver-78039-251.aspx?&WT.z_PT=Computing&WT.z_AT=Laptop&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_MAT=HP&WT.z_FT=Free Standing&WT.z_PC=1N7V2EAABU&WT.srch=1&WT.z_KW=1N7V2EAABU&WT.z_DT={device}&WT.z_RTM=PLA

Decent processor, 8GB RAM.

The main downside is the relatively small amount of storage space (256GB).

Edited by kevhamster
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kevhamster said:

There is very little to recommend in that price range.

The best thing I've been able to find is this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8764348

The CPU isn't great, but above the minimum clock speed for FM.  It is only 4GB RAM, but there'll be nothing at that price which is more.

It also has very low storage, so bear that in mind.

One positive is it has 1080p resolution, so at least you'll get more info on screen in game.

Cheers, are any of these worth spending a bit extra on?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8184399?clickSR=slp:term:laptop:5:236:1

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8023618?clickSR=slp:term:laptop:19:236:1

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9192562?clickSR=slp:term:laptop:33:236:1

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7353066?clickSR=slp:term:laptop:143:236:1

And do you think it's worth waiting till black Friday? 

Cheers I appreciate the help

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I have a budget of £700, will be using argos if you could recommend me something from them would be appreciated. Only really play fm and a couple of other  games but they don't require as much as fm does so as long as it can run it the others will run fine. Tend to stream and browse whilst playing fm as well if that helps, thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ellismason93 said:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9192562?clickSR=slp:term:laptop:33:236:1

That's the only one with any form of upgrade - it has the same processor as the one I'd linked, but with 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD.

The others are either largely the same, or worse.

Can't say whether it's worth waiting for Black Friday, as I have no idea what the deals will be.

If you don't mind the smaller storage space, and having a refurb unit, this offers a bit of an upgrade on my original suggestion for £339: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/a314-22/  

Processor is a bit stronger and 8GB RAM.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dino09os said:

Hi! Please tell me, can I play FM2021 normally on this laptop:

Ryzen5 4500u

8GB RAM

512GB SSD

Radeon Graphics

Want to buy this laptop, but dont want to waste money.

Yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, niallmcfc said:

Hi, I have a budget of £700, will be using argos if you could recommend me something from them would be appreciated. Only really play fm and a couple of other  games but they don't require as much as fm does so as long as it can run it the others will run fine. Tend to stream and browse whilst playing fm as well if that helps, thanks

Just checking, what other games do you play?  Just want to make sure any recommendation given is suitable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

Thanks in advance for all of your help on this topic, have bee looking at the above posts and you do a great job in helping people out.

Just checking if either of the below would be good for running FM 21 (and hopefully future versions) at max settings and if they look good value.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/hp-pavillion-15-ec1009na-nvidia-gtx-1660-ti-16gb-15.6-fhd-amd-ryzen-7-4800h-gaming-laptop-lt-04y-hp.html

or

https://www.very.co.uk/hp-omen-15-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-2060-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-144hz-15-dh1005na/1600498443.prd?_requestid=833892&Ntt=gaming%20laptop

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MarcyBhoy22 said:

Hi there,

Thanks in advance for all of your help on this topic, have bee looking at the above posts and you do a great job in helping people out.

Just checking if either of the below would be good for running FM 21 (and hopefully future versions) at max settings and if they look good value.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/hp-pavillion-15-ec1009na-nvidia-gtx-1660-ti-16gb-15.6-fhd-amd-ryzen-7-4800h-gaming-laptop-lt-04y-hp.html

or

https://www.very.co.uk/hp-omen-15-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-2060-16gb-ram-1tb-ssd-144hz-15-dh1005na/1600498443.prd?_requestid=833892&Ntt=gaming laptop

 

image.png.fb97dc340e1e0c92473c143864da70f0.png

I'd go for the cheaper one at Overclockers.  Notebookcheck scores the CPU in that more highly, and the graphics card is more than enough for FM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks,

 

I recently posted in the previous thread about getting a new laptop, as my old Lenovo was damaged by one of my kids.  After making a list, I then posted in the thread and I was down to HP Pavilion Gaming and an acer nitro 5 bundle on amazon. Kevhamster advised that nitro bundle with G1650ti would probably shade it, so off I went to get the funds together, only to find the nitro had sold out and the hp pavilion gaming 15 had went up by £100.

So I thought, I’ll leave it and bide my time until either black Friday or the nitro comes back in however,  whilst I was looking at customer reviews, id notice there seems to be confusion over the 12-month manufacturer warranty. Amazon make no reference to its existence, and when you check the questions/reviews section, it come up with mix results. The Acer Uk website is extremely vague as well.

Is it worth using pc specialist instead? .. or is it overkill for what I want?

I’d be using it for FM, web browsing, occasionally and possibly some old school games such as GTA vice city, Resident evil 2/3 (originals). I already have a playstation 4, so in the vague chance that a peppa pig dvd isn’t stuck in there, ive got big games covered.

 

My budget is around the £750 £800-ish

I’ve had a crack at configuring with & without a hard drive, however I start to get loss with the different strength/speeds or ram and ssd drives. 

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated..:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I am looking for a laptop in the £400 range. Are there any out there. Found this in an article would it work https://footballmanagertips.com/the-best-laptop-for-football-manager-2021/

 

Thanks for your help 

Edited by Hygge96
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dragosani said:

Hi folks,

 

I recently posted in the previous thread about getting a new laptop, as my old Lenovo was damaged by one of my kids.  After making a list, I then posted in the thread and I was down to HP Pavilion Gaming and an acer nitro 5 bundle on amazon. Kevhamster advised that nitro bundle with G1650ti would probably shade it, so off I went to get the funds together, only to find the nitro had sold out and the hp pavilion gaming 15 had went up by £100.

So I thought, I’ll leave it and bide my time until either black Friday or the nitro comes back in however,  whilst I was looking at customer reviews, id notice there seems to be confusion over the 12-month manufacturer warranty. Amazon make no reference to its existence, and when you check the questions/reviews section, it come up with mix results. The Acer Uk website is extremely vague as well.

Is it worth using pc specialist instead? .. or is it overkill for what I want?

I’d be using it for FM, web browsing, occasionally and possibly some old school games such as GTA vice city, Resident evil 2/3 (originals). I already have a playstation 4, so in the vague chance that a peppa pig dvd isn’t stuck in there, ive got big games covered.

 

My budget is around the £750 £800-ish

I’ve had a crack at configuring with & without a hard drive, however I start to get loss with the different strength/speeds or ram and ssd drives. 

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated..:)

Slight reconfiguration: https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/cosmosIX-15/zBJ!rExSPa/

I've changed it to an M2 SSD, as that's the quickest type and also upped it to 256GB as I can't help thinking 128GB is not leaving enough headroom for most people. 

Also changed it to the faster 2666Mhz RAM, just to maximise system performance as much as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hygge96 said:

Hi I am looking for a laptop in the £400 range. Are there any out there. Found this in an article would it work https://footballmanagertips.com/the-best-laptop-for-football-manager-2021/

 

Thanks for your help 

Sorry, can't respond properly at the moment as I'm just about to start something for work.  But, there is very little in that range to recommend.  Someone else was asking for ones in the same price range and I posted the best I could find - take a look over this and the last page and the links will be there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robert.mfa said:

Hi, I was wondering if I will be able to play FM21 on below laptop:

CPU: Intel Core i3 - 3217U CPU@ 1.80 GHz

GPU: GeForce GT 740M 2 GB VRAM

RAM: 4.0 GB

Thanks in advance for your help

It meets the minimum requirements, but it's going to be slow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robert.mfa said:

Thanks for quick response, I play on 2D view only anyway. Not sure if that matter at all

It's more about the processing speed in between matches - as long as you're happy that this processing is going to be reasonably slow, then you should be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It's more about the processing speed in between matches - as long as you're happy that this processing is going to be reasonably slow, then you should be fine.

Thanks, the last question

Am I right saying that due to low VRAM below (other) laptop will not be able to run FM 21 at all? 

Intel Core i3-3120M CPU @ 2.5GHz

Intel HD Graphics 4000 VRAM 32 MB

RAM 8.0 GB

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robert.mfa said:

Thanks, the last question

Am I right saying that due to low VRAM below (other) laptop will not be able to run FM 21 at all? 

Intel Core i3-3120M CPU @ 2.5GHz

Intel HD Graphics 4000 VRAM 32 MB

RAM 8.0 GB

 

Should be able to run it in 2D.  May even run 3D with the graphics turned down to the lowest settings.

The system requirements have barely changed over the last few years, so if you've played previous FM games you should expect a broadly similar performance, although the best test will obviously be downloading the demo when it's out and see how it runs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

Sorry, can't respond properly at the moment as I'm just about to start something for work.  But, there is very little in that range to recommend.  Someone else was asking for ones in the same price range and I posted the best I could find - take a look over this and the last page and the links will be there.

Thanks I'll take a look👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 3LionsFM said:

Hi. :) is my current laptop suitable to run FM21?

Specs are below;

GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 

RAM: 8GB

Thanks 

Yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hygge96 said:

Me again

Sorry I know you're busy. Good recommendations above but argos don't seem to deliver atm. 

Seen you reccomend on this site before. Will this work? 

https://www.box.co.uk/NX.A0WEK.004-Acer-Aspire-3-A314-22_2958145.html

Yep - it won't be blisteringly quick and with only 4GB RAM you'll probably have to have very little running in the background when you're playing FM.  But it does meet the minimum requirements. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi looking at getting a new laptop soon, budget is around £600-700. Would be getting used for football manager and using the internet. 

Seen this and wondered if this would be good enough to run fm at a good speed

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205931-pdt.html

Open to any other choices if that one isn't ideal. Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fraz86 said:

Hi looking at getting a new laptop soon, budget is around £600-700. Would be getting used for football manager and using the internet. 

Seen this and wondered if this would be good enough to run fm at a good speed

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205931-pdt.html

Open to any other choices if that one isn't ideal. Thanks in advance

I will say, that one is OK and is definitely a pretty good price for a laptop also including a dedicated graphics card.

But, within that price range, this one will offer a better performance: https://www.box.co.uk/30029417-Medion-Crawler-E10_3201865.html

The CPU in this one scores more highly on notebookcheck:

image.png.73cb30484f60734a66c12f9f2ca8c861.png

The other specs are otherwise pretty much the same.

However, if you prefer to keep the costs down a bit, then the other one will certainly be fine for what you're looking for.

Edited by kevhamster
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kevhamster said:

image.png.fb97dc340e1e0c92473c143864da70f0.png

I'd go for the cheaper one at Overclockers.  Notebookcheck scores the CPU in that more highly, and the graphics card is more than enough for FM.

Thanks very much mate, do you reckon that would last me me a good few years at the highest graphics on FM? (in your opinion of course, who knows how FM will be in a few years time)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarcyBhoy22 said:

Thanks very much mate, do you reckon that would last me me a good few years at the highest graphics on FM? (in your opinion of course, who knows how FM will be in a few years time)

Unless SI do something drastic with the graphics engine, then I can't see it struggling to play in 3D for a good few years at least.

That graphics card will play most, if not all, AAA games currently out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Unless SI do something drastic with the graphics engine, then I can't see it struggling to play in 3D for a good few years at least.

That graphics card will play most, if not all, AAA games currently out.

Brilliant mate, thanks again for your help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, how does this compare to others in the 650-700 category?

 

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/medion-erazer-crawler-e10-15-6-full-hd-gaming-laptop-3-year-warranty-intel-core-i5-10300h-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-4gb-graphics-windows-10.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2020 at 19:37, kevhamster said:

https://www.box.co.uk/Lenovo-V55t-15API-11CC0002UK-Business-_2845878.html

This is the best I can find.

The CPU is pretty decent, and the integrated graphics capability on this is pretty good as well, so will be able to handle the 3D match engine at medium to high settings.

The minus points are very low storage (128GB) and only 4GB RAM.

https://www.palicomp.co.uk/pc_of_the_week_280820

 

Would this one be better ? I know I'll need to add £80 on for windows 10 but would would it be worth the extra money for the 8GB ram and 240GB SSD

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ciaran_celtic said:

https://www.palicomp.co.uk/pc_of_the_week_280820

 

Would this one be better ? I know I'll need to add £80 on for windows 10 but would would it be worth the extra money for the 8GB ram and 240GB SSD

I can't find an equivalent which is cheaper, so it probably is worth it for the extra storage and RAM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

29 minutes ago, Wivanee said:

They're all excellent.  1 and 5 are identical to my eye, and I'd go for one of these - which one depends on whether you'd prefer to buy at Argos or Amazon.

image.png.b27c92cd6b35dace6c4c29df14a6c469.png

As you can see above, the Ryzen 7 scores highest out of the 3 processors these models have between them.  It has the best graphics card (although any of them are ample to play FM at max settings) and has 512GB storage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Smurf

Kevhamster was very helpful to me in helping me choose a laptop. I see you are Irish as well, I am from Clare. I only have a small budget of around €400 but was wondering do you know what the best laptop I could get for that price in Ireland is? I sent the wrong link before but it looks to me like laptops direct have one of the biggest stocks here. Would you be able to suggest one there or any other places you know of? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craigm1876 said:

I have a budget of 450/500. Only use the laptop for FM, any help is appreciated 

The best I can find in that range is as follows:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8483935 (14" screen) - £449.99

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9396461 (15.6" screen) - £499.99

Aside from the screen size and some differences with the USB ports, these are the same spec.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

Hoping to get back into FM after many many years away! So many years away my old forum account doesn't appear to exist anymore..

Didn't factor this decision when getting a new laptop recently... however anyone have any thoughts on how the game will work on this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-IPS-Level-i7-8565U-Graphics-ScreenPad/dp/B085P318SZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

RAM                                                16 GB

CPU                                                 i7-10510U

Display Size                                    15.6 inch

Storage Size                                   1000 GB

Graphics Card                                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q

Processor Family                           10th gen Intel Core i7

Processor Frequency                   1.8 GHz

Processor Boost Frequency         4.9 GHz

Processor Cores                             4

Processor Cache                           8 MB

Internal Memory                          16 GB


Thank you in advance!

Edited by mark_87
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garyhogan91 said:

Hi @Smurf

Kevhamster was very helpful to me in helping me choose a laptop. I see you are Irish as well, I am from Clare. I only have a small budget of around €400 but was wondering do you know what the best laptop I could get for that price in Ireland is? I sent the wrong link before but it looks to me like laptops direct have one of the biggest stocks here. Would you be able to suggest one there or any other places you know of? 

That's an extremely low budget. 

It just wouldn't be worth spending that money on something that won't work.

Why don't you want until the sales happen, Black Friday is coming up at the end of the month.

Or you might ask friends/family for cash at Christmas. 

Sorry, just don't want to see you blow €400.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...