FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, jackmac94 said:

Hi there

I was looking to get myself the Lenovo ideapad 1 https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7817148

Not really too fussed about the 3d matchplay and that but yeah just wondering if this will be sufficient to run the game ?

I wouldn't recommend it at all.

The CPU is terrible to be frank, so it's going to be really slow for the game.

You have only 4GB RAM, which is less than ideal - you want to be aiming for 8GB if possible.  You may be able to get away with 4GB, but you'll need to ensure there's barely anything running in the background when playing if you do buy a computer with 4GB RAM.

Plus, it's Windows 10 S, which you'll have to upgrade to the Non S version to be able to download either Steam or Epic, and that will take up a fair chunk of the 64GB storage of the device.

Being realistic, you're going to need to increase the budget or possibly see what's around on the used market if that sort of price is your limit.

Hi All,

I've got a pretty meaty PC but looking to pick up a laptop for under £450 for some FM on the couch while the other half watches tele and the odd horizontal session.

How important is a dedicated GPU for FM ?

Was initally looking at something along the lines of i5 4th gen and 8gb ram as a baseline on a refurbished model for about £250ish off eBay etc

But with black friday coming up thinking about maybe grabbing something brand new possibily with one of these Ryzen CPU's which seem to have decent intergrated GPU ? as new laptops with dedicated GPU's are a bit too much to justify when I have a solid PC for my main gaming.

Long story short - any recommendations for spec / link to a laptop that will comfortably run FM21 for sub £450?

Many thanks

9 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Thanks @SmurfThat looks great but isnt in stock yet. Anything similar already released?

8 hours ago, kevhamster said:

The closest I can find which is currently in stock is this: https://www.box.co.uk/1L6F7EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ec1009na_2958259.html

It's a bit pricier, but spec-wise it's very similar to the one Smurf linked.

Few more popped up this morning this being the better of the new ones closer to price

https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q87EK.004-Acer-Aspire-7-Gaming-A715-75G_2934481.html

9 hours ago, KingGaz said:

Hi All,

I've got a pretty meaty PC but looking to pick up a laptop for under £450 for some FM on the couch while the other half watches tele and the odd horizontal session.

How important is a dedicated GPU for FM ?

Was initally looking at something along the lines of i5 4th gen and 8gb ram as a baseline on a refurbished model for about £250ish off eBay etc

But with black friday coming up thinking about maybe grabbing something brand new possibily with one of these Ryzen CPU's which seem to have decent intergrated GPU ? as new laptops with dedicated GPU's are a bit too much to justify when I have a solid PC for my main gaming.

Long story short - any recommendations for spec / link to a laptop that will comfortably run FM21 for sub £450?

Many thanks

This is the best I can find at the moment: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8483935

It's not amazing, but it'll be fine for FM21 and should run the 3D match graphics at medium settings.

Hi all, long time lurker of the forum and decided to sign up as I need a second opinion on this laptop for FM as my 7 year old one has seen better days. Only other games I play are Civilization and Minecraft the odd time. 

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/medion-erazer-crawler-e10-15-6-full-hd-gaming-laptop-3-year-warranty-intel-core-i5-10300h-8gb-ram-512gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-4gb-graphics-windows-10.html

I know 8gb RAM is fine and the Graphics card will run the 3D ME well but i'm not very clued up on processors, does this seem ok? 

Thanks in adavance!

Hi all, which one of these would you go for considering purely FM?

Asus M509DA-BR324T (Ryzen 5-3500u, integrated Radeon Vega 8, 8gb RAM, HDD 1TB, no SSD) - R$3400/£480

Acer Aspire 3 A315-42G-R1FT (Ryzen 7-3700u, dedicated Radeon 540x, 8GB RAM, no HDD 256GB SSD) - R$3700/£520

Acer Aspire 3 A315-42G-R6FZ (Ryzen 5-3500u, dedicated Radeon 540X, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, no SSD) - R$4000/£563

Asus VivoBook 15 X512FB-BR468T (Intel Core i5-8265U, dedicated Nvidia Geforce MX110, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, no SSD) - R$4000/£563

Edited by SCCP1910

5 minutes ago, Xabi14 said:

Hi all, long time lurker of the forum and decided to sign up as I need a second opinion on this laptop for FM as my 7 year old one has seen better days. Only other games I play are Civilization and Minecraft the odd time. 

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/medion-erazer-crawler-e10-15-6-full-hd-gaming-laptop-3-year-warranty-intel-core-i5-10300h-8gb-ram-512gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-4gb-graphics-windows-10.html

I know 8gb RAM is fine and the Graphics card will run the 3D ME well but i'm not very clued up on processors, does this seem ok? 

Thanks in adavance!

Yes, and that's a good price for that laptop as well.

4 minutes ago, SCCP1910 said:

Hi all, hich one of these would you go for?

Asus M509DA-BR324T (Ryzen 5-3500u, integrated Radeon Vega 8, 8gb RAM, HDD 1TB, no SSD) - R$3400/£480

Acer Aspire 3 A315-42G-R1FT (Ryzen 7-3700u, dedicated Radeon 540x, 8GB RAM, no HDD 256GB SSD) - R$3700/£520

Acer Aspire 3 A315-42G-R6FZ (Ryzen 5-3500u, dedicated Radeon 540X, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, no SSD) - R$4000/£563

Asus VivoBook 15 X512FB-BR468T (Intel Core i5-8265U, dedicated Nvidia Geforce MX110, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, no SSD) - R$4000/£563

This one: Asus VivoBook 15 X512FB-BR468T (Intel Core i5-8265U, dedicated Nvidia Geforce MX110, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, no SSD) - R$4000/£563

Edited by kevhamster
Amended selection (misread initial post)

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

This one: Asus VivoBook 15 X512FB-BR468T (Intel Core i5-8265U, dedicated Nvidia Geforce MX110, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, no SSD) - R$4000/£563

Or the one with the Ryzen 7.

The Intel one has a weaker graphics card, but should be ok for FM.  Where as the Ryzen 7 doesn't seem quite as strong as the Intel but the graphics card is a bit better.

Overall, I'd probably still go with the Intel one.

Just now, kevhamster said:

Or the one with the Ryzen 7.

The Intel one has a weaker graphics card, but should be ok for FM.  Where as the Ryzen 7 doesn't seem quite as strong as the Intel but the graphics card is a bit better.

Overall, I'd probably still go with the Intel one.

The user benchmark does rate the Intel higher than any of the AMDs. Didn't expect that. Both graphics cards should run the 3D ME quite smoothly, right?

7 minutes ago, SCCP1910 said:

The user benchmark does rate the Intel higher than any of the AMDs. Didn't expect that. Both graphics cards should run the 3D ME quite smoothly, right?

They should do.  They are low end graphics cards, so some of the settings may need to come down a bit.  But, they'll definitely manage the 3D match graphics.

Looking at the comparisons, there isn't actually a huge amount between those two graphics card in reality - the gap isn't anywhere near as wide as I thought it was!

Hi guys. Like many on here I am looking to purchase a new laptop for fm21 (plus general internet browsing etc.). Thanks to this brilliant thread I have managed to narrow it down to 3 potential laptops, would love your advice on which of these you thought would offer best value for money + best FM performance

https://www.box.co.uk/1L6F7EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ec1009na_2958259.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1006na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877MJY1Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1604953643&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A213559031%2Cp_36%3A-90000&rnid=9708204031&s=computers&sr=1-1

If there are any other laptops available at around the same price point that would be better please let me know. My max budget is around £900-£999 (although hoping some of those I have posted will drop a little in price around Black Friday!)

Thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, robbarber91 said:

Hi guys. Like many on here I am looking to purchase a new laptop for fm21 (plus general internet browsing etc.). Thanks to this brilliant thread I have managed to narrow it down to 3 potential laptops, would love your advice on which of these you thought would offer best value for money + best FM performance

https://www.box.co.uk/1L6F7EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ec1009na_2958259.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1006na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877MJY1Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1604953643&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A213559031%2Cp_36%3A-90000&rnid=9708204031&s=computers&sr=1-1

If there are any other laptops available at around the same price point that would be better please let me know. My max budget is around £900-£999 (although hoping some of those I have posted will drop a little in price around Black Friday!)

Thanks in advance!

The Amazon link comes up with an error screen for me, so I can't advise on that one.

Out of the other 2, I'd go with the first one.  That Ryzen 7 4800H is one of the strongest laptop CPU's currently around, and with it also having a very strong graphics card, 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD is an all round great deal.  I'm quite surprised it's less than a grand to be honest, all things considered.

The second one is also very decent though (but currently out of stock).

Edited by kevhamster

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The Amazon link comes up with an error screen for me, so I can't advise on that one.

Out of the other 2, I'd go with the first one.  That Ryzen 7 4800H is one of the strongest laptop CPU's currently around, and with it also having a very strong graphics card, 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD is an all round great deal.  I'm quite surprised it's less than a grand to be honest, all things considered.

The second one is also very decent though (but currently out of stock).

Thanks for the quick response!

Here is the Amazon one, should hopefully work now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1006na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877MJY1Q/

Effectively the same laptop but with 8GB vs 16GB RAM. How important is RAM when it comes to running FM? I'm guessing an updgrade from 8GB to 16GB for effectively £50 is worthwhile even if it doesn't have a great affect on FM performance?

Thanks again for your help, this thread has been hugely informative for me!

1 minute ago, robbarber91 said:

Thanks for the quick response!

Here is the Amazon one, should hopefully work now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1006na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877MJY1Q/

Effectively the same laptop but with 8GB vs 16GB RAM. How important is RAM when it comes to running FM? I'm guessing an updgrade from 8GB to 16GB for effectively £50 is worthwhile even if it doesn't have a great affect on FM performance?

Thanks again for your help, this thread has been hugely informative for me!

That's effectively the same spec as the first one, but with 8GB RAM rather than 16GB.  If you can afford the extra £50, I'd go for the 16GB RAM version.

Hello,

Been without a laptop and FM since 2018 so looking to get back into it now. A rookie when it comes to specs etc so need some help please.

So i like to play with many leagues and players, i did a rough calculation and im looking at over 35 leagues in over 15 countries. this is what i used to have and still got over 4 stars on the performance meter before you start your save up so thats what im looking to get now. i dont use 3D match, just commentary and goal highlights, wont be playing any other games, will use streaming like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube. no video editing.

So RAM i can get my head around and have decided 16gb should be good for me. plus i've heard before SSD makes a difference so would like that. the other bits though, theres so many different variations i get confused.

Budget - ideally under £800 if this would even get what i am wanting? but i would be willing to go to about £1.5k if its really needed

so any help would be great thanks

23 hours ago, Smurf said:

You have an integrated graphics card - so any dust build up in the fans will cause your CPU to verload, as well as your GPU. 

The star ratings don't mean much really, high time SI removed them from the game. 

For the bold part - you do realise that could be 1 league or 100 leagues right? It's all relative to what you feel is a comfortable smooth playing experience.

Clear out the fans with a can of compressed air from a DIY shop. Or open up your panel on the base (when it's turned off and unplugged) and clean the fans and see how you get on.

So, I unscrewed the back off and there wasn't actually much dust or debris at all. I cleaned it all out and then when I put the back on again I cleaned it with compressed air just getting the bits I maybe missed. It really wasn't dusty or dirty though, fans seem to be running fine. Tried everything else like uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics card and updating it to no avail. What you reckon mate, time for a new laptop? 

There's a repair shop around mine with a lot of great reviews. I messaged them and they said the GPU his overheated and died & they need to try resolder the crack to the motherboard. They say £50 if succesful but there is a chance it can get worse and 1 in 10 die all together. Im no tech person so I have no clue what all that means but does it sound about right?

Edited by serbianred

Hello all,

Sorry, it’s me again! I’m not very tech savvy, otherwise I wouldn’t be asking all these questions🤣However, I’ve just been scrolling through Amazon and I’ve seen that that they have a few early Black Friday deals on a couple of different laptops. 

Was just wondering what you guys think of the Huwai Matebook (link below) for playing Football Manager?

HUAWEI MateBook D 14 - 14 Inch Laptop with FullView 1080P FHD Ultrabook PC (AMD Ryzen 5, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, Multi-screen Collaboration, Fingerprint Reader), Space Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083T5HFPX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_dlC_62NTFbG7K0FTZ 

Many thanks for your help and feedback. 

4 minutes ago, Junaid1999 said:

Hello all,

Sorry, it’s me again! I’m not very tech savvy, otherwise I wouldn’t be asking all these questions🤣However, I’ve just been scrolling through Amazon and I’ve seen that that they have a few early Black Friday deals on a couple of different laptops. 

Was just wondering what you guys think of the Huwai Matebook (link below) for playing Football Manager?

HUAWEI MateBook D 14 - 14 Inch Laptop with FullView 1080P FHD Ultrabook PC (AMD Ryzen 5, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, Multi-screen Collaboration, Fingerprint Reader), Space Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083T5HFPX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_dlC_62NTFbG7K0FTZ 

And also your thoughts on this:

HUAWEI MateBook D 15 - 15.6 Inch Laptop with FullView 1080P FHD Ultrabook PC (Intel Core i5-10210U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Multi-screen Collaboration, Fingerprint Reader), Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BGK8Y9Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_dlC_GcOTFbXMQF7ZJ

1 hour ago, serbianred said:

So, I unscrewed the back off and there wasn't actually much dust or debris at all. I cleaned it all out and then when I put the back on again I cleaned it with compressed air just getting the bits I maybe missed. It really wasn't dusty or dirty though, fans seem to be running fine. Tried everything else like uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics card and updating it to no avail. What you reckon mate, time for a new laptop? 

There's a repair shop around mine with a lot of great reviews. I messaged them and they said the GPU his overheated and died & they need to try resolder the crack to the motherboard. They say £50 if succesful but there is a chance it can get worse and 1 in 10 die all together. Im no tech person so I have no clue what all that means but does it sound about right?

Well hardly any point - seems like it's busted. 

Based on the budget from your Amazon selection - https://www.box.co.uk/30029417-Medion-Crawler-E10_3201865.html

6 minutes ago, Viddek said:

Do you think that 8GB Ram is ok for the new MacBook with M1 for Football Manager? Or would you prefer to order the MB with 16GB Ram? I would prefer the MB Air with 8-Core GPU. 

Check out the benchmarking thread - a guy there @craiigman ran a test with the 8gb Ram with the M1 processor and got impressive results.  16gb would be no harm - but little evidence yet of if it yields better results. 

If you do get it, can you benchmark FM20 using the M1 with 16gb RAM?

Edited by Smurf

55 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Check out the benchmarking thread - a guy there @craiigman ran a test with the 8gb Ram with the M1 processor and got impressive results.  16gb would be no harm - but little evidence yet of if it yields better results. 

If you do get it, can you benchmark FM20 using the M1 with 16gb RAM?

For sure, I would do that.  I'm thinking about it, but I will wait for Black Friday.

1 hour ago, Viddek said:

Do you think that 8GB Ram is ok for the new MacBook with M1 for Football Manager? Or would you prefer to order the MB with 16GB Ram? I would prefer the MB Air with 8-Core GPU. 

Following on from @Smurf's reply - Most benchmarks have seen online for other games have all been using 8GB models. But check out: 

I personally didn't think it was worth £200 for the RAM upgrade.

3 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Following on from @Smurf's reply - Most benchmarks have seen online for other games have all been using 8GB models. But check out: 

I personally didn't think it was worth £200 for the RAM upgrade.

Thanks for the Link. Interesting - I want to use the MBA for 5 or more years and I will only play Football Manager. Otherwise I only use my notebook for browsing and office. So I have no more requirements.

5 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Have you tried to hook your M1 up to an external monitor to see if there is any performance hit?  I'd also be curious to know if it causes the fan to run more to keep cool?

2 hours ago, MC_______7 said:

Hello,

Been without a laptop and FM since 2018 so looking to get back into it now. A rookie when it comes to specs etc so need some help please.

So i like to play with many leagues and players, i did a rough calculation and im looking at over 35 leagues in over 15 countries. this is what i used to have and still got over 4 stars on the performance meter before you start your save up so thats what im looking to get now. i dont use 3D match, just commentary and goal highlights, wont be playing any other games, will use streaming like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube. no video editing.

So RAM i can get my head around and have decided 16gb should be good for me. plus i've heard before SSD makes a difference so would like that. the other bits though, theres so many different variations i get confused.

Budget - ideally under £800 if this would even get what i am wanting? but i would be willing to go to about £1.5k if its really needed

so any help would be great thanks

If you're happy to wait  a couple of weeks for delivery, this would be what I'd recommend: https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/initia-15/8PpH0W74!v/

It's a better price than the equivalent at the likes of Currys, and you won't get all the manufacturer bloatware.

If you want something more immediately: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-cw1598sa-15-6-amd-ryzen-7-laptop-512-gb-ssd-silver-10193332-pdt.html

2 hours ago, Junaid1999 said:

Hello all,

It'll do the job.  Good price for the spec as well.

38 minutes ago, rsihn said:

Have you tried to hook your M1 up to an external monitor to see if there is any performance hit?  I'd also be curious to know if it causes the fan to run more to keep cool?

Had a few issues so far with external monitor, seems to be a bit touchy. But I have managed to hook it up to a ultra wide 2460x1080 and got the same performance and no fans.

11 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Had a few issues so far with external monitor, seems to be a bit touchy. But I have managed to hook it up to a ultra wide 2460x1080 and got the same performance and no fans.

Wonderful.  I'm seriously considering going out to the store and picking one of these up today. 

6 minutes ago, rsihn said:

Wonderful.  I'm seriously considering going out to the store and picking one of these up today. 

I know people get purchase bias or what ever it’s called, but I’m generally happy to send stuff back if I don’t like it/will just flat say so.

This MacBook so far is damn good. Extremely happy with it. Hasn’t been completely flawless though.

- Like I mentioned it took a while to get the monitor working at all. Seems if you have a dongle that has power, you will have to plug the power into the other USB C port. Bit weird.

- My Bluetooth mouse sometimes lags. Not in games or when doing something extensive. Just randomly. Could be the mouse, but did not have this issue on my old MacBook.

- DualShock 4 controller didn’t work on first try, have yet to try it again.

That is about it so far, nothing major and I fully expect most of that to be fixed pretty soon anyway.

39 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It'll do the job.  Good price for the spec as well.

Thanks Kev! I’m just trying to determine which would be the best laptop to purchase in my price range before purchasing (I am very indecisive). 

I like the look of the Huawei Matebook’s, however I’m currently swaying towards this (link below) even if it is a little bit more expensive. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

I’m only going to be playing Football Manager on it really, so I’d like it to run FM at the highest settings, so a high number of leagues (5-8) with a large player database and in the highest quality (3D match engine), as well as the game to run well. I’d also like to to use this laptop for the next couple of years for playing FM, so it won’t need to be upgraded next year. 

Will the Curry’s one be able to do this do you think? 

Many thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Junaid1999 said:

Thanks Kev! I’m just trying to determine which would be the best laptop to purchase in my price range before purchasing (I am very indecisive). 

I like the look of the Huawei Matebook’s, however I’m currently swaying towards this (link below) even if it is a little bit more expensive. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

I’m only going to be playing Football Manager on it really, so I’d like it to run FM at the highest settings, so a high number of leagues (5-8) with a large player database and in the highest quality (3D match engine), as well as the game to run well. I’d also like to to use this laptop for the next couple of years for playing FM, so it won’t need to be upgraded next year. 

Will the Curry’s one be able to do this do you think? 

Many thanks. 

That is definitely a stronger choice.  Better CPU and the dedicated graphics card will enable you to play 3D at the highest setting.

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Well hardly any point - seems like it's busted. 

Based on the budget from your Amazon selection - https://www.box.co.uk/30029417-Medion-Crawler-E10_3201865.html

Took it to him in the end as I didn't see this reply until now and he sorted it for £50. Code43 error is gone and the game is absolutely flying so no need for a new laptop. Happy days!

5 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

That is definitely a stronger choice.  Better CPU and the dedicated graphics card will enable you to play 3D at the highest setting.

Brilliant, thanks for your help Kev! I think I’ll go ahead and purchase that one! Really looking forward to playing FM!

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

If you're happy to wait  a couple of weeks for delivery, this would be what I'd recommend: https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/initia-15/8PpH0W74!v/

It's a better price than the equivalent at the likes of Currys, and you won't get all the manufacturer bloatware.

If you want something more immediately: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-cw1598sa-15-6-amd-ryzen-7-laptop-512-gb-ssd-silver-10193332-pdt.html

Wait, did i just get a Kev custom built laptop? assume so as it lets you change all sorts etc,

thanks alot! any idea what the life of the battery after a full charge is on those as i cant see it on the site? 9.5 hours sounds good to me on the HP

9 minutes ago, MC_______7 said:

Wait, did i just get a Kev custom built laptop? assume so as it lets you change all sorts etc,

thanks alot! any idea what the life of the battery after a full charge is on those as i cant see it on the site? 9.5 hours sounds good to me on the HP

No idea to be honest - it's so variable, and intensive tasks (and FM does count as a CPU intensive task) will significantly impact battery life.  I've only ever really used mine whilst plugged in!

And yeah, the top one is a custom one where you can change things up.  PC Specialist are a great company to use.

Edited by kevhamster

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

I suggest you look at the HP Envy 15-ep0008na  https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2T953EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

i7 1075H

16GB RAM

1TB SSD

4K DISPLAY

Listed for 1799.99 but you can get it for 1620 with 3 year HP Care Pack with Pickup and Return. Use this E-voucher: VIPENVY

Just call HP UK Sales on 020-7660-3859

Edited by Sweetleftfoot

8 minutes ago, Sweetleftfoot said:

I suggest you look at the HP Envy 15-ep0008na  https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2T953EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

i7 1075H

16GB RAM

1TB SSD

4K DISPLAY

Listed for 1799.99 but you can get it for 1620 with 3 year HP Care Pack with Pickup and Return. Use this E-voucher: VIPENVY

Just call a HP UK Sales on 020-7660-3859

appreciate the help, but just wondering how much faster would this be do you reckon? worth to be double the price? as reading from the first post on this thread, apparently SSD only really affects load and save time, 4K im not too fussed on tbh. not a clue about the i7 1075H? the 16gb RAM is same?

Hi guys. Hoping for some advice please. 

I recently purchased the medion E10 crawler from box.co.uk for £649 (256gb ssd version). However, I've had to send two models back as I've had the same faulty mouse pad on both occasions which ia frustrating to say the least as the return process is lengthy so anyone buying beware of the fault. The left hand side of the button sticks which isn't ideal for playing fm as it involves lots of it!

Unfortunately, i can't see anything that is an equivalent spec for the same price: I5 10th gen, nvidea 4gb dedicated graphics, 8gbm ram and 256 ssd.

Can you recommend anything that won't increase my budget that's as good? Can only find older processors for more money.

Might it be worth waiting a week until all the sales are up and running?

Its a shame as the laptop looked great and ran smoothly.

Cheers!

18 minutes ago, MC_______7 said:

appreciate the help, but just wondering how much faster would this be do you reckon? worth to be double the price? as reading from the first post on this thread, apparently SSD only really affects load and save time, 4K im not too fussed on tbh. not a clue about the i7 1075H? the 16gb RAM is same?

Listen you said you could raise your budget up 1.5K thats why I suggested it. Otherwise there is a cheaper HP Envy 15-ep0011na model with FHD Display, 16GB RAM, 1660Ti Graphics and 512 GB SSD and its at 1499.99 and you can get it for 1350 with the E-voucher i suggested earlier.

Added bonus you can upgrade the storage in future as there is a second SSD slot and RAM is upgradable to 64GB if you ever need it :) 

As for 16GB RAM is always better than 8GB any-day and SSD is the way forward for storage devices.

Note: 3 years HP Care Pickup and Drop bundle is only possible if you call them.

No harm in getting a great deal and I wanted to share it with the community here.

Edited by Sweetleftfoot

3 minutes ago, Sweetleftfoot said:

Listen you said you could raise your budget up 1.5K thats why I suggested it. Otherwise there is a cheaper HP Envy 15-ep0011na model with FHD Display, 16GB RAM, 1660Ti Graphics and 512 GB SSD and its at 1499.99 and you can get it for 1350 with the E-voucher i suggested earlier.

Added bonus you can upgrade the storage in future as there is a second SSD slot and RAM is upgradable to 64GB if you ever need it :) 

As for 16GB RAM is always better than 8GB any-day and SSD is the way forward for most storage devices.

i know but in terms of speed, will i get a big enough upgrade from this

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/initia-15/8PpH0W74!v/

if not and i am getting a sufficient speed from the cheaper one why spend that money?

1 hour ago, MC_______7 said:

There's a benchmarking thread on another page - there's a spreadsheet on the first page of it - and this will give you a good indicator for performance - if it's benchmarked. 

if not -  you'll have to find a similar one on the list to compare - but I can help with that if you need it.

https://community.sigames.com/topic/515765-fm20-performance-benchmarking-thread/

Hi guys, 

looking to get a desktop to play FM on would the below be capable?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Security/Gaming-PCs-Consoles/Gaming-Desktops/AWD-IT-Ranger-4-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-480GB-SSD-AMD-Vega-10-Gaming-Desktop-PC/p/345096

Thanks

Karl

5 hours ago, MC_______7 said:

i know but in terms of speed, will i get a big enough upgrade from this

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/initia-15/8PpH0W74!v/

if not and i am getting a sufficient speed from the cheaper one why spend that money?

My honest thoughts are it's not worth spending an extra £1,000+ on that HP.

Ok, it has a 4K panel, which is unusual on a laptop currently.  And it does have a dedicated graphics card - I kept that out of the configuration I selected because you said you play mostly in 2D and only have 3D on for goal highlights - the integrated graphics in the Ryzen will be fine for the highlights - they won't be at highest settings most likely, but you'll get medium at least, possibly high.

And, the CPU is a little better in that HP, but not enough to spend an extra grand on.

If you'd like that CPU, this configuration  has it for £966.00: https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/cosmosIX-15/pFAFqyQGzv/

It does have a graphics card (Geforce GTX 1650Ti), as there's no option to configure without.  You could spend a little less and go for the standard GTX 1650 graphics card, but I went for this option purely because the standard 1650 is apparently not in stock for another couple of weeks.

You get the standard 1080p panel, rather than 4K, but you've already said you're not bothered about 4K.  And it's still over £800 less than the HP.

4 hours ago, Dadu said:

You've said your budget is £1,000, but both of these are higher.

Also, would be helpful to know if you're planning on playing other games and what else you want to do with the laptop to be able to give the most suitable recommendation.