WARNING! This might be a bit of a read!

I didn't buy FM19 or 20 but I won 20 off SI last August 19 and I didn't mind the first match engine. Actually liked it a lot.  I ended up breaking my laptop screen and couldnt fix the resolution( long story bla bla bla)

So I saw a thread this morning asking for the best FM20 tactic, I saw a few replies and 2 or 3 people said there is no such thing.  There is no plug and play anymore. Fair enough.

On FM18, the game I always play  I have 9 dif tactics with many different permutations and mirrors in those systems.

So my default tactic is 433, DLP with inside forwards and a complete forward. Play this vs 433 at home or against 4141 away, Iwbs Attacking in away european games

The 2nd Tactic is  also 433 vs. 442 away or a 352 anytime, A half half back always and depending on how they line up 2 ramdeuters with man marking vs fb/wb

3rd tactic is a 442, vs another 442 at home I'll change a bwm to DLP in home games and vs a 4231 at home one of my full backs plays an inverted wing back, the dlp i'll switch to a carrello and my main forward next to a F9 will be an AF.

Next up is playing vs a 4141 at home and I'll play a 2 inverted wbs and it looks like a 424 with second striker, if you know fm you'll have seen it. I also have a 4231 which I only use away from home with nothing to lose.

A waste Time 4141 and a tactic I call anti football 4-2dm-1cm-2wm-1st for when I need an away result.

I guess my point is, has anyone done anything like this on FM20 or have you found a plug and play? I get called the tinkerer by FMs social media thing.

Also I think this is my main problem with FM20, I didnt want to learn the nooks and crannies again.

I number my saves, every year! On FM18 i'm on 78.3 i think; so what that means is, its my 78th save and I changed clubs 3 times... Anyone else do this??

78th save!? Since October 2018, I assume? That's still a lot.

There's no harm in being a tinkerer. I'd actually say it is beneficial if you have a team that can learn and adapt to different formations. If you watch real world football managers will change formations regularly to counter the opposition. FM often rewards the same formations being used.

In my current save I have tended to switch between a 3-5-2 and a 4-4-2. I've tried 4-5-1s and 4-3-3s. I will also tinker a lot with player roles to get the best out of individuals.

4 minutes ago, anagain said:

78th save!? Since October 2018, I assume? That's still a lot.

There's no harm in being a tinkerer. I'd actually say it is beneficial if you have a team that can learn and adapt to different formations. If you watch real world football managers will change formations regularly to counter the opposition. FM often rewards the same formations being used.

In my current save I have tended to switch between a 3-5-2 and a 4-4-2. I've tried 4-5-1s and 4-3-3s. I will also tinker a lot with player roles to get the best out of individuals.

Thanks for reply, on average a 2 or 3 season save to be fair. but thats at least 2-3 weeks anyway, i rarely holiday.

I was wondering when you look at the opposition do you tinker your tactics to beat them or do you go with what you know?

I've trained all age groups up to Junior IRL so I've always had a feel for tactics, but FM is another matter.

I also didn't mention different teams and diff tempos, Barca playing fast is one thing but trying it Fulham is another.

Any recommendations for a 2-3 season save? before FM21

I do have a scout doing next opposition scout reports and I do read them to see any recommendations seen useful, but I find they're not always beneficial. I tend to go on feel, but will use league position and form to judge whether I can be all out attack or whether I need to be cautious.

If you are having trouble with FM tactics then I highly recommend the tactics forum here. There are some very knowledgeable people there. There are also some great guides I have used myself.

To be brutally honest to myself, I do tend to get away with bluff alot with my tactics. 

Regarding a save: it depends what level you want to go for. I managed Bangor City as my first team in FM20 and had a lot of fun. They got demoted in the Welsh leagues and you'll have to get out of the Welsh Second Tier first season. It will be a walk in the park, but competing in the Welsh Prem second season will be a challenge, especially against TNS.

I haven't looked at Bangor in the latest database, but they have a lot of foreign players irl. They are owned now by an Argentinian-Italian and he appointed former Argentina world cup star Pedro Pasculli as manager irl. If you do well enough you can get a crack at Europe with a small team by the third season.

Of course you could just start with TNS and try to achieve in Europe with a Welsh side.

Alternatively, ry to get Bolton or Sunderland back up the leagues in 2-3 seasons?

Thanks for the SHOUTS. anagain

I don't know what I'll do yet.

If theirs anyone that uses multiple tactics and different ways to use them I'd love to hear from you

Anyone got at least 3 different formations they do? 

That's an insane number of saves. As far as tactics, there is a whole section of the forums dedicated to people like you who use different tactics. Check out the tactical section, there are wonderous threads dedicated to styles of play and all sorts of things. It gets pretty deep. Check out one of my threads below:

1 hour ago, mcgaffer said:

Thanks for reply, on average a 2 or 3 season save to be fair. but thats at least 2-3 weeks anyway, i rarely holiday.

I was wondering when you look at the opposition do you tinker your tactics to beat them or do you go with what you know?

On your first sentence I am very similar in that regard, though all my Everton saves are all done from the same day0 save.

The second sentence last couple of editions I have tried both approaches, both with varying success/failure.

In response to your original post similar to you I like to go with a 442 433(that can also be 4141) and a 352, each one with a different set of TI's, one set will generally be a spoiler tactic, then I select a combination of formation + ti almost per fixture though if I get a chance for 3/4 matches to stick with one setup before a game against bigger opposition when i know i will use spoiler tactic I feel (rightly or wrongly) it gives me an edge against the big boys. I do tinker alot in match, pushing wide men up and down for 10 mins, or dropping a cm back when i feel i want to apply pressure soon but not just yet.

Edited by toffee71