When's the BETA out speculation thread FM 21

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's the mindset of "beta" what it currently is? Each year it seems that a huge amount of time is spent on polishing the so called "beta release" and the sentence It's ready when it's ready gets repeated over and over.

And then the "retail release" with a fixed date eventually arrives with most of the crowd already busy in their save games. If the real retail is ready when it's ready then how come the "retail date" has never been changed (case Cyberpunk).

What I would like to see is something similar to what Larian Studios did with Baldur's Gate 3. If you call it "early access" or "Beta", then make it such. Considering all the polishing, currently the whole beta seems out to be an excuse if something is still missed during final tests "it's not the retail yet, but beta".

Of course I understand the concept of creating hype, but why wouldn't the hype effect be exactly the same with a real beta / early access.

If I stated to my wife that I'm cleaning up the house each month but she'll get "an early access" to pin-point my faults, with me replying "it's not a finished product" once I've actually stopped vacuuming. How long you think she'll buy it and stay? Work in progress is work in progress, but calling a MVP product work in progress is just silly mind games.

Edited by Häynted
Added some text for comparison

14 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

Is it confirmed they wont launch beta today?

No - but then there's no reason to expect it to be here today either. They've made it absolutely as clear as they can - there's no timescale, there's no planned release date or time when it comes to the BETA other than as a rough guide approx two weeks before the full launch, it'll be ready (presentable) when it's ready.

4 minutes ago, kitcub said:

No - but then there's no reason to expect it to be here today either. They've made it absolutely as clear as they can - there's no timescale, there's no planned release date or time when it comes to the BETA other than as a rough guide approx two weeks before the full launch, it'll be ready (presentable) when it's ready.

Well all we can do is wait. 

10 hours ago, Häynted said:

Why's the mindset of "beta" what it currently is? Each year it seems that a huge amount of time is spent on polishing the so called "beta release" and the sentence It's ready when it's ready gets repeated over and over.

And then the "retail release" with a fixed date eventually arrives with most of the crowd already busy in their save games. If the real retail is ready when it's ready then how come the "retail date" has never been changed (case Cyberpunk).

What I would like to see is something similar to what Larian Studios did with Baldur's Gate 3. If you call it "early access" or "Beta", then make it such. Considering all the polishing, currently the whole beta seems out to be an excuse if something is still missed during final tests "it's not the retail yet, but beta".

Of course I understand the concept of creating hype, but why wouldn't the hype effect be exactly the same with a real beta / early access.

If I stated to my wife that I'm cleaning up the house each month but she'll get "an early access" to pin-point my faults, with me replying "it's not a finished product" once I've actually stopped vacuuming. How long you think she'll buy it and stay? Work in progress is work in progress, but calling a MVP product work in progress is just silly mind games.

Long story short, beta is the release with all the bugs they know about fixed (within reason), retail is the release with as many of the bugs that are found in beta fixed as possible. 
By the way you’ve used it in your analogy, I’m not convinced you’ve ever cleaned a house... vacuuming? Fake news

6 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

Well, according to Genesis 1-2, on day 6 (Saturday) - God created all the creatures that live on dry land.

I'm sure a Saturday release of Beta will be a piece of cake in comparison.

My software company also has a policy of no releases on Friday or the weekend. The logic is simple: if something major goes wrong on a weekend, nobody will be around to fix it or there will only be a skeleton staff available. 

1 minute ago, DementedHammer said:

My software company also has a policy of no releases on Friday or the weekend. The logic is simple: if something major goes wrong on a weekend, nobody will be around to fix it or there will only be a skeleton staff available. 

Yep. And FM betas have always fallen into a Tuesday to Thursday window too. I think. There might have been one on a Friday, but I don’t think so. Getting old though so memory is failing. Did I mention FM betas have always fallen into a Tuesday to Thursday window? There might have been one on a Friday, but I don’t think so. Getting old though so memory is failing.

4 minutes ago, DementedHammer said:

100% logical.......but let's "keep hoping" It's free...........hahahahaha

3 minutes ago, DementedHammer said:

I know, it's never going to happen. I'm just keeping the dream alive by posting on here until the working week begins.

alf.gif

6 minutes ago, DementedHammer said:

1440502131_tenor(37).gif.1c93e4047c5451e578d4a9ef7c05743e.gif

I think SI games missed a trick here to get themselves well and truely in the heart of every FM player and even new players by getting the beta out on the day of the second lockdown. I assume they have a solid reason for not doing so. So I guess we'll just have to wait till they think its ready to be released. Roll on next week (hopefully) 👍

1 hour ago, Lempicka said:

Well, according to Genesis 1-2, on day 6 (Saturday) - God created all the creatures that live on dry land.

I'm sure a Saturday release of Beta will be a piece of cake in comparison.

Genesis is a Jewish book, the first day of the week for them is Sunday, so day six is Friday.

Even Jehovah can't get us the beta it seems. :(

1 minute ago, johnhughthom said:

Genesis is a Jewish book, the first day of the week for them is Sunday, so day six is Friday.

Even Jehovah can't get us the beta it seems. :(

Even the Gods are against us. Maybe we need a quest - to prove we are worthy

python.gif