Required stars

Hi guys, 

I was just wondering how many stars you go for when you load up a game? I know that if you want the fastest game you should go for 5 stars. However, I just find that it means i'll have 3-4 nations in the game. Since I want the game as realistic as possible I'd like as many leagues as possible. 

What do you recommend? Is the game fine with 3 stars or even lower? 

Also - does it mather whether the database is low, medium og big? 

Every save (which is usually just the one save per version) I have started since about FM14 has been half a star. I always load all the leagues and usually with the top leagues running on full detail too.

Yeah, stars can be deceiving. I never went extreme like @HUNT3R but I load about 10-15 nations as playable and my star rating drops to 2 stars but I didn't notice any major difference in speed other then you have to wait a few extra seconds to simulate more games.

I always play with all leagues on. I noticed that the first transfer window tends to take the most time of all, after that the game seems to speed up a little.

It's not like the game will be crawling from match to match. it's really ok.

Read plenty of times from SI themselves that the star system is a little flawed. Does have some merit though. Until I recently upgraded my laptop substantially i've been playing half a star for what feels like 10+ (maybe more) years.

ME personally...I always like to play journey man saves starting low as possible so lots of leagues is key for me.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Every save (which is usually just the one save per version) I have started since about FM14 has been half a star. I always load all the leagues and usually with the top leagues running on full detail too.

I've never done this, although I am very tempted to when I start FM21.  I imagine the biggest issue is likely to be the size of the save files getting too big for Steam Cloud (I really wish they'd make the available space larger.....)

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

I've never done this, although I am very tempted to when I start FM21.  I imagine the biggest issue is likely to be the size of the save files getting too big for Steam Cloud (I really wish they'd make the available space larger.....)

IIRC it went up to about 600mb or 700mb by around 2034. The speed of the processing doesn't bother me, but it does slow down especially with the full detail matches being processed. That is why I only have it for the top leagues.