[FM21] Teams to manage

steevo55

This may sound ridiculous but who is a good short term save? 

When the new update is out I am going to start my long awaited wave as Tenerife. 

However still being furloughed from work id like a new save to last ke a few seasons until then. 

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/02/2021 at 23:26, Ewan0404 said:

When the new update is out I am going to start my long awaited wave as Tenerife. 

However still being furloughed from work id like a new save to last ke a few seasons until then. 

Are we talking instantly winning things as someone very good?

6 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

For now just a team to win trophies right away that will be fun for a few weeks. 

if you want to avoid the obvious ones from the biggest leagues, I think id possibly go with Ajax, or for a slightly less complete but very exciting team packed with great youngsters, AZ Alkmaar.

I always think the german league is very competitive and Bayern could be good for you. Obviously, you have a strong squad, but its not the deepest and youll have to manage it through SIX competitions in a condensed season. It wont be as easy as perhaps it looks on paper to win everything.

Another good one for you if you want to win straight away yet still have to scout thoroughly and rebuild the squad might be Benfica/Porto.

In terms of a club that needs to be built back to its former reputation, Panathinaikos is one that always stands out for me.

20 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

For now just a team to win trophies right away that will be fun for a few weeks. 

Bayern or Barcelona. Those both giants have a stacked teams but also lots of young talents to build around the future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2021 at 23:26, Ewan0404 said:

Palmeiras, Monterrey 

On 22/02/2021 at 10:27, Carefree_Since_1905 said:

I am thinking about going on a Brazilian adventure. Can anyone recommend a team in Brazil with the most exciting bunch of youngsters?

Thank you!

Sao Paulo and Santos might be worth looking at. Vitoria in the 2nd tier if you want a harder challenge. 

Edited by silentwars

On 26/11/2020 at 10:59, ChrisCo said:

As a chronic new game starter, here are my two cents:.

NEC Nijmengen - Dutch Ereste Division, again an absolute army of good young players you can comfortably play straight away. Unusual kits & colours too if that is your thing. 

I think I might give this team a go, cheers! :)

Hi all.

I'm someone who normally lurks in the lower reaches of the football league or non league pyramid. I'm wanting to start a long term save, possibly even to last me the next 6/7 months and want a top tier team, somewhere other than England.

I'm reading Calcio at the moment and feel Torino could be an interesting save, but Belotti only has 2 years on a contract and I'd worry I couldnt get him to resign. I'd love a save with that type of team and a player who I can build the club around.

Any suggestions similar to Torino would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Creppin said:

Hi all.

I'm someone who normally lurks in the lower reaches of the football league or non league pyramid. I'm wanting to start a long term save, possibly even to last me the next 6/7 months and want a top tier team, somewhere other than England.

I'm reading Calcio at the moment and feel Torino could be an interesting save, but Belotti only has 2 years on a contract and I'd worry I couldnt get him to resign. I'd love a save with that type of team and a player who I can build the club around.

Thanks!

If I wasn't already managing Parma, I would definitely pick Torino for the likes of Belotti and Singo. I think Meite has gone on loan though.

10 minutes ago, rafaelbenitez said:

Torino have high expectations in the first season, wanting Europa League football. Not sure if this has changed after the update. Bologna might be a good shout, lower expectations and some very talented young players.

That was my concern, I had a quick look and they want Europa League Football. I'm happy to hang around mid table for a few years. Good enough to stay up and good/big enough to kick on. I'll look at Bologna.

27 minutes ago, rafaelbenitez said:

Torino have high expectations in the first season, wanting Europa League football. Not sure if this has changed after the update. Bologna might be a good shout, lower expectations and some very talented young players.

Ah sorry, didn't realise that!

16 minutes ago, Creppin said:

That was my concern, I had a quick look and they want Europa League Football. I'm happy to hang around mid table for a few years. Good enough to stay up and good/big enough to kick on. I'll look at Bologna.

Bologna do seem a good idea. Parma might be too tough and no real 'star' player but have a great history if you ignore the name changes! Cagliari seem to have done quite well on mine and are the only Serie A side not on the mainland this season. Not sure their expectations etc.

On 26/02/2021 at 09:44, Creppin said:

Hi all.

Thanks!

Rennes - they have Camavinga & fantastic facilities

Schalke - big club that's in a mess and needs a rebuild

Sassuolo  - got some good players to start with (Locatelli, Berardi, Caputo & Boga) and modest expectations.  

Edited by silentwars

So, I've just bought FM21. I'm looking for a special club. That small club with state of the art youth facilities, or that third division club with a superb U21 prospect. Something like that.

I've thought of Altinordu, Palermo, or HSV, but I am really looking for recommendations. I'm open to most European leagues and divisions.

16 minutes ago, Adzke said:

So, I've just bought FM21. I'm looking for a special club. That small club with state of the art youth facilities, or that third division club with a superb U21 prospect. Something like that.

I've thought of Altinordu, Palermo, or HSV, but I am really looking for recommendations. I'm open to most European leagues and divisions.

I played 10 seasons with Paris FC. Got excellent regens, New stadium and won the league in 2028. I mainly both West african / central african players cheap, and sold Them expensively. Can recommend 

54 minutes ago, Adzke said:

With Altinordu you can only sign Turkish players, wich makes it virtually impossible to win the league. Bursaspor has great facilities for youth and no restrictions.

In Spain you could go for Deportivo la Coruna in the third tier. If thats to mainstream for you as a lot of people do it you also have good facilities in Racing Santander. Alternatively in the Segunda you have Gijon with great facilities.

My suggestion is go to the France National and go with Bastia.

On 27/02/2021 at 12:56, silentwars said:

Rennes - they have Camavinga & fantastic facilities

Schalke - big club that's in a mess and needs a rebuild

Sassuolo  - got some good players to start with (Locatelli, Berardi, Caputo & Boga) and modest expectations.  

Gone with Inter. Different to my descriptions but realised I havent managed a "big" team in maybe ten years. Fancy actually managing some good players and having some money to spend. 

Edited by Creppin

6 hours ago, Creppin said:

Gone with Inter. Different to my descriptions but realised I havent managed a "big" team in maybe ten years. Fancy actually managing some good players and having some money to spend. 

Haha, I'm going for the same! Wanted to manager Lukaku for some years now..their team fits perfectly for a 3-1-4-2

12 hours ago, Adzke said:

FC Nordsjaelland (Denmark), FC Sochaux (France), Valarenga (Norway), FC Groningen (Holland)

All have fantastic facilities, you get Robben in your team at Groningen as well which might be an added incentive. 

Edited by silentwars

Looking for a save that can tide me over until FM22, hopefully ending in glory before then.

Ideally I'd like a side in one of the big leagues (England, Germany, Spain, France, Italy). I've already managed Stuttgart in the Bundesliga this year so the other four are preferable but not by much.

At the rate I play I've probably got time for 6-7 or so more seasons in me. I'd like to be able to be competitive in the Champions League by the end of the save (think Atletico Madrid level sides who could win if things go their way but are by no means any form of favourite). Similarly I'd like to be a serious challenger for league titles by then. As a result Im thinking a mid-table to upper mid-table level side. Steady finances and a few decent prospects to carry through the journey are also desirable.

I've also got an identity I'd like to develop by then too, ideally playing from the start, details can be found here. In FM terms I picture this like so:2077908038_Screenshot_20210302-001209_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.aea520957b554449a3c7249fb1749aa5.jpgThe roles listed aren't overly relevant its more the movements. Obviously the system can be mirrored if necessary.

Cheers guys and thanks in advance

23 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

Looking for a save that can tide me over until FM22, hopefully ending in glory before then.

Ideally I'd like a side in one of the big leagues (England, Germany, Spain, France, Italy). I've already managed Stuttgart in the Bundesliga this year so the other four are preferable but not by much.

At the rate I play I've probably got time for 6-7 or so more seasons in me. I'd like to be able to be competitive in the Champions League by the end of the save (think Atletico Madrid level sides who could win if things go their way but are by no means any form of favourite). Similarly I'd like to be a serious challenger for league titles by then. As a result Im thinking a mid-table to upper mid-table level side. Steady finances and a few decent prospects to carry through the journey are also desirable.

I've also got an identity I'd like to develop by then too, ideally playing from the start, details can be found here. In FM terms I picture this like so:2077908038_Screenshot_20210302-001209_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.aea520957b554449a3c7249fb1749aa5.jpgThe roles listed aren't overly relevant its more the movements. Obviously the system can be mirrored if necessary.

Leeds utd .. a fairly strong team to begin with, with plenty of saleable assets too.. no huge expectations .. and their youth prospects are ridiculous, even by epl standards... 

They have around 15 players in the youth set up who can easily be first teamers once developed.

i.e : Kenneh,  
Meslier, Shackleton, 
Struijk, 
Bogusz,  
Gelhardt, 
Summerville, 
Greenwood, 
Jenkins, 
Cresswell, 
Kun, 
Casey, 
Drameh, 
Edmondson, 
McCalmont

And the tactical set up you have planned plays perfectly into the big players already at the club too if you look through the team...  You have the perfect versatile wingbacks, a perfect halfback, and plenty of versatility in attacking positions to mess around with it. .. i might even give this a go myself tbh!

15 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Leeds utd .. a fairly strong team to begin with, with plenty of saleable assets too.. no huge expectations .. and their youth prospects are ridiculous, even by epl standards... 

They have around 15 players in the youth set up who can easily be first teamers once developed.

i.e : Kenneh,  
Meslier, Shackleton, 
Struijk, 
Bogusz,  
Gelhardt, 
Summerville, 
Greenwood, 
Jenkins, 
Cresswell, 
Kun, 
Casey, 
Drameh, 
Edmondson, 
McCalmont

And the tactical set up you have planned plays perfectly into the big players already at the club too if you look through the team...  You have the perfect versatile wingbacks, a perfect halfback, and plenty of versatility in attacking positions to mess around with it. .. i might even give this a go myself tbh!

I feared someone would say Leeds! Huge Derby fan (my icons one of our old logos), so the only team I'd rather manage less than Leeds are Forest!

Although I do 100% agree on Leeds being the right sort of side, wouldn't blame you giving it a go as they are almost the perfect side for it - unfortunately...

2 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

I feared someone would say Leeds! Huge Derby fan (my icons one of our old logos), so the only team I'd rather manage less than Leeds are Forest!

Although I do 100% agree on Leeds being the right sort of side, wouldn't blame you giving it a go as they are almost the perfect side for it - unfortunately...

I'm a lifelong leeds fan i'm afraid! .. shame, they really are perfect for your needs

30 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I'm a lifelong leeds fan i'm afraid! .. shame, they really are perfect for your needs

Ah well in that case I fear we may never get on! Although it must be said a side like Leeds that isnt Leeds is absolutely perfect for what I'm after

1 hour ago, OJ403 said:

West Ham, Southampton, Leverkusen, Hoffenheim, Valencia, Betis, Fiorentina, Sassuolo, Rennes, OGC Nice 

51 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

West Ham, Southampton, Leverkusen, Hoffenheim, Valencia, Betis, Fiorentina, Sassuolo, Rennes, OGC Nice 

A few interesting looking options there, mainly Valencia and the Italians (also thinking maybe Bologna). Away from FM right now but I've had a quick flick through the sqauds. How do they look on FM?

1 hour ago, OJ403 said:

A few interesting looking options there, mainly Valencia and the Italians (also thinking maybe Bologna). Away from FM right now but I've had a quick flick through the sqauds. How do they look on FM?

I was planning on doing a Fiorentina save myself but it looks like the update messed up the Chiesa transfer so now Juventus can buy him for 4m instead of 40m lol. So I'll wait for the 'updated update'

Hi everyone, 

I'm just getting back into FM after only playing FM19 over the past few years. I'm looking for a team that I can manage for a few years whilst I get my head around the new features and try and develop my tactical knowledge. Ideally then, this would be a team where the board expectations are not to challenge for the title immediately, yet a club that is sound financially with a decent enough squad that won't be at the bottom of their league. 

I want to avoid England for the time being, and preferably the main 5 countries however this wouldn't be a deal breaker. Something along the lines of AZ Alkmaar who I'm considering. Open to Scandinavian teams, Portugal, Scotland, Belgium etc. 

All suggestions appreciated!

5 hours ago, OJ403 said:

My suggestion would be Real Socidad (San Sebastian), a team littered with good players yet to reach there peak: Merino, Oyararzabel, Isak, Januzaj etc. Plus the likes of David Silva who will be key in the short term.

Good set up and only expected to finish 7th first season, so you'd have a year to start building your team.

11 minutes ago, Tom24 said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm just getting back into FM after only playing FM19 over the past few years. I'm looking for a team that I can manage for a few years whilst I get my head around the new features and try and develop my tactical knowledge. Ideally then, this would be a team where the board expectations are not to challenge for the title immediately, yet a club that is sound financially with a decent enough squad that won't be at the bottom of their league. 

I want to avoid England for the time being, and preferably the main 5 countries however this wouldn't be a deal breaker. Something along the lines of AZ Alkmaar who I'm considering. Open to Scandinavian teams, Portugal, Scotland, Belgium etc. 

All suggestions appreciated!

Valarenga (Norway), fantastic facilites and youth set up, you should get some wonderkids coming through in the youth intakes. Media prediction: 7th (out of 16 teams). 

1 hour ago, sygarn said:

I was planning on doing a Fiorentina save myself but it looks like the update messed up the Chiesa transfer so now Juventus can buy him for 4m instead of 40m lol. So I'll wait for the 'updated update'

Him not being there could very well rule them out unfortunately. I'm not sure what their squad looks like these days but I expect it may be lacking a bit of star quality. That would also ruin the emersion completely, definitely one for the updated update...

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Wolves? 

Definitely could be Wolves. Could well depend on the state of their wide men (Podence, Jota, Traore, etc.). You've also made me think of Leicester as an option.

57 minutes ago, silentwars said:

My suggestion would be Real Socidad (San Sebastian), a team littered with good players yet to reach there peak: Merino, Oyararzabel, Isak, Januzaj etc. Plus the likes of David Silva who will be key in the short term.

Good set up and only expected to finish 7th first season, so you'd have a year to start building your team.

Very interesting... sounds like a good mix of talent for the now and talent that can be around for the long term. I also fancy a bit of Spain, haven't been there in a long while. The same goes for Italy.

I'm planning on loading up a test save either before Derby's match tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking of having a look into Wolves, Leicester, Bologna, Fiorentina, Valencia and Sociedad

14 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

Him not being there could very well rule them out unfortunately. I'm not sure what their squad looks like these days but I expect it may be lacking a bit of star quality. That would also ruin the emersion completely, definitely one for the updated update...

Definitely could be Wolves. Could well depend on the state of their wide men (Podence, Jota, Traore, etc.). You've also made me think of Leicester as an option.

Very interesting... sounds like a good mix of talent for the now and talent that can be around for the long term. I also fancy a bit of Spain, haven't been there in a long while. The same goes for Italy.

I'm planning on loading up a test save either before Derby's match tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking of having a look into Wolves, Leicester, Bologna, Fiorentina, Valencia and Sociedad

Only issue with Valencia is they have a lot of debt so might be worth bearing in mind. 

FC Nordsjaelland - Pretty much perfect for youth development.  The Danish league is very competitive and you also get an added bonus of getting prize money every 11 games (twice during regular season and again at the end of championship group).  

FK Bodo/Glimt - Surprised everyone by winning the 2020 Norwegian league and have a great squad by their standards.  Also a lot of talent within the league that you can sign.

I just downloaded superb Asia and South America expansion database from Davie in Editor hideaway

Would love some teams suggestions from those two continents

Either a dark horse in their respective league (like Leicester is in England) or (preferably) a lower division teams who has potential to go very far (think HSV in Germany or Deportivo in Spain)

Any interesting teams in the Balkans? I played with Banik Ostrava in Czech last year and it was great. Looking for something similar. Tips on which countries to load? I have though about Serbia, Croatia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech. 

Some rules i'm thinking about is only eastern europe players since it is too easy to buy from africa and sell on. 

2 hours ago, 3rik said:

Any interesting teams in the Balkans? I played with Banik Ostrava in Czech last year and it was great. Looking for something similar. Tips on which countries to load? I have though about Serbia, Croatia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech. Some rules i'm thinking about is only eastern europe players since it is too easy to buy from africa and sell on. 

They may be too strong and you have done Czech Republic before, but Slavia Prague have a really impressive squad and some nice affiliates (1 x China, 2 x Czech, 1 x Croatia). One of those affiliates is Hajduk so you could consider them if you wanted a new country like Croatia. Russia & Ukraine also present quote a few interesting club options.

26 minutes ago, matt_west said:

Lower English sides with good youth set ups? Used to enjoy Crewe but not sure they're so great these days.

Need some ideas :D

Burton, Ipswich and Sunderland have the best youth facilities below the championship.

loughborough uni, if you have a lower league expansion database going has great youth recruitment levels

Hi all,

After consistenly doing a process of starting and ending saves before even getting to the first matchday, a RTG with Derby County, and after doing a successful save with Milan, ending in a treble win in 2024, I'm looking for a medium-sized challenge in any of the big 5 nations or possibly even their second tiers. Looking for a team that isn't title-winning quality, has some quality but does need a bit of a rebuild. Any suggestions are welcome!

54 minutes ago, matt_west said:

Lower English sides with good youth set ups? Used to enjoy Crewe but not sure they're so great these days.

Need some ideas :D

I echo Welshace's suggestions but also look at Exeter who have produced a few good players over the years like Ollie Waktins and also Walsall who have some very good players in their squad.

29 minutes ago, ModerIsta said:

Hi all,

After consistenly doing a process of starting and ending saves before even getting to the first matchday, a RTG with Derby County, and after doing a successful save with Milan, ending in a treble win in 2024, I'm looking for a medium-sized challenge in any of the big 5 nations or possibly even their second tiers. Looking for a team that isn't title-winning quality, has some quality but does need a bit of a rebuild. Any suggestions are welcome!

Schalke, Schalke or Schalke

19 hours ago, ModerIsta said:

Hi all,

England: Tottenham, Arsenal, Watford
Spain: Valencia, Betis, Espanyol
Germany: Schalke 04, Hertha BSC, HSV
Italy: Napoli, Fiorentina, Brescia
France: Marseille, Nice, Toulouse

• 2 weeks later...