[FM21] Teams to manage

steevo55

We're here to discuss the teams you are looking forward to manage in Football Manager 2021.

Personally, this is a small list of teams i cannot wait to play with :

Borussia Dortmund : Haaland, Sancho, Brandt, Reyna, Bellingham, Moukoko... Surely the first save on the beta.

FCSB (Steaua Bucarest) Coman, Man, Moruțan... Almost the same team than previous year which i really enjoyed.

SL Benfica : Todibo, Éverton, Pedrinho, Núñez, Waldschmidt... What a transfert window.

And you ???

Edited by steevo55

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my team, arsenal. and i have a list of other teams to choose from. spain-real sociedead,atletico madrid and sevilla. germany-bvb,hertha and bmg. italy-roma,atalanta,milan and napoli. france-rennes. i just gotta choose one team from the leagues that i have chosen more than 1. 

I'd agree with the Benfica, Sociedad and Everton suggestions already. Benfica have had an interesting window as you said and could turn the academy into a monopoly. Sociedad have a great first XI in a 4231 and have swapped Odegaard for Silva. Everton have lots of players in a good age bracket and James, Allan, Doucoure and Godfrey all add massively to the team. 

With summer transfers, I'm also liking the look of....
Bologna. Predicted 14th. Young prospects like Skov Olsen, Tomiyasu, Dominguez, Vignato that become stars to build around.
Hull City have a young squad with high potential. They should also have money. Might get downgraded. Peterborough look good in League One as well.
Barnsley have a very young team with potential, something like 1.3 years younger than the next lowest Brentford. Predicted 20th. 
Estoril. Predicted 3rd in the second league. Youngest team and very well balanced. Longer term to overcome Benfica/Porto.
RB Salzburg could be fun to produce some youth prospects. Domestic dominance waiting for Europe could taint it.

Edited by jcskala

My favourite time of the year!

I always do a save with Celtic first, I’d feel like I was cheating on them otherwise! We had a relatively good window made some interesting additions but more importantly kept a hold of everyone. Not having Forster return was a kick in the teeth but you can’t have it all. Be interesting trying to keep 13 midfielders and 4 strikers happy most of whom will be expecting a lot of first team football. Would imagine second season being a big rebuild job as well as I’d expect to find it very difficult to keep Edouard, Ajer, Ntcham, Christie, McGregor and Frimpong in Scotland, the ending of the loans of Elyounoussi, Duffy and Laxalt and the inevitable decline of Scott Brown. Last but not least, we have a talented group of players coming through none more so than Karamoko Dembele. 

I usually like to follow up with a save in Greece with AS Aris Salonika who have just somehow became my football manager team but this year I fancy a go with Spartak Moscow, they were flying a few years ago winning the Russian premiership in 2017 but finished last season 7th. They’ve lost a lot of good players since the win, Luis Adriano, Ze Luis, Quincy Promes and the decline of Dennis Glushakov to name but a few but they’re joint top with Zenit after 11 games played this year and three players in particular make me excited to set up in Moscow... Disgraced Russian superstar and former jailbird Alexandr Kokorin, (the Celtic in me is pushing for this) Jordan Larsson, son of the best player to ever grace the Scottish premiership, King Henrik and recent loan signing journeyman Victor Moses. 

Il y a 21 heures, jcskala a dit :

I'd agree with the Benfica, Sociedad and Everton suggestions already. Benfica have had an interesting window as you said and could turn the academy into a monopoly. Sociedad have a great first XI in a 4231 and have swapped Odegaard for Silva. Everton have lots of players in a good age bracket and James, Allan, Doucoure and Godfrey all add massively to the team. 

With summer transfers, I'm also liking the look of....
Bologna. Predicted 14th. Young prospects like Skov Olsen, Tomiyasu, Dominguez, Vignato that become stars to build around.
Hull City have a young squad with high potential. They should also have money. Might get downgraded. Peterborough look good in League One as well.
Barnsley have a very young team with potential, something like 1.3 years younger than the next lowest Brentford. Predicted 20th. 
Estoril. Predicted 3rd in the second league. Youngest team and very well balanced. Longer term to overcome Benfica/Porto.
RB Salzburg could be fun to produce some youth prospects. Domestic dominance waiting for Europe could taint it.

Bologna seems a really interesting team, thanks for the suggestion, i'll maybe give it a try.

The Life at RB Salzburg will be too much sad without Erling, was my first save on the FM 2020 beta.

So far I'm looking at:

Pro Vercelli - the ultimate sleeping giant

Fuenlabrada - Doing OK in LaLiga 2 IRL. Make them the greatest MAdrid side

Le Havre - Good youth facilities

Pompey - Think everyone had a crush on them at some point

Also looking at some Dutch 2nd Division sides

Dortmund: Don't think I need to explain this one. Sancho, Haaland, Brandt, Bellingham.

Chelsea: Made some good signing and got a nice team with some neat potential.

Inter: Kept Lautaro around, signed Hakimi and Vidal. Enjoyed playing in the Serie A for FM20 so why not.

Bodø Glimt in the norwegian division has been the best performing team ever in the division this season in real life. They have just sold their best player in Hauge, but they should be seeing a solid bump or I riot. Look for players like Berg, Zinckernagel and Junker to get a bump.

Il y a 1 heure, conor4669 a dit :

No I didn’t why?

Just to know your results and players you bought if it was the case. So enjoy them in FM 2021, highly recommand Alexandru Cicâldău from Craiova.

Edited by steevo55

1 hour ago, steevo55 said:

Just to know your results and players you bought if it was the case. So enjoy them in FM 2021, highly recommand Alexandru Cicâldău from Craiova.

I’m looking forward to using Dennis Man & Coman! bring them back to glory! 

First, as always, Athletic Club. Only real changes will be Aduriz retiring and Berenguer coming in. 

Then potentially one of the usual clubs I go to: AZ, Palermo, FCSM, etc.

Would like to take one of the lower performing Midlands/NW Championship clubs - Derby, Forest, Stoke - and then restore them to the Premier League.

Or a Central/Eastern European side - from the Czech, Croatia, Serb, Romanian or Polish leagues - and make a real push in Europe. I like the idea of a Scottish only Celtic save, and again making progress in Europe - there could be some strong Scot talents this year.

Il y a 2 heures, conor4669 a dit :

I’m looking forward to using Dennis Man & Coman! bring them back to glory! 

Good luck !

The main problem I had with FM 2020 is the lack of good romanian regens. Made several saves with FCSB and there were less than 5 good romanian regens in more than 10 seasons...

My usual 2 saves every year are Sunderland (my team) and either Zenit or one of the Moscow clubs, I've been to both cities and fell in love with them so I always try to do a Russian League save, unfortunately its been a tough year so I haven't had the chance to do a Russian save. I am doing a Sevilla save at the minute though and I'm enjoying it more than any other save so Ill probably do another one on the new version.

2 more challenges :

AZ Alkmaar : they manage to keep their best promising players (Boadu, Stengs, Wijndal, Koopmeiners). Battle for the title and developp youngsters.

Monza : back in Serie B but never reach the Serie A. A good challenge with some promising loaned players.

I have alot of teams. My best saves this year have been AC Milan (my first save), FC Barcelona (only focussing on youth and producing your own talents. I also had a great save with Juventus. Again with the same focus as Barcelona, sell the old lads and buy young. 

So those i am looking forward to. Roma is the team i always play with in FM, but in FM20, i didnt have a good experience. So have to try them again.

I may look into doing a long term save on this years game too. I was looking at starting a game with Harrogate Town in the standard database but I may wait until there is a tier 9/10 database and start a game with South Shields or Hebburn. Hebburn is about a 10 minute drive from my house on the south of the River Tyne and my mate used to play for them.

I have some saves in mind, but the only club I'm sure on at this point is Austin FC. I don't see myself sticking with an MLS save long-term, so will likely go into this save with the mindset of it being a western hemisphere journeyman. 

I'd like to try a long-term, single-club save with a European club outside the big 5. Haven't really decided where, let alone who I'd use, but the aim would be to bring success to a club that hasn't had much/any, and if I stick with it long enough, elevate the nation/league. 

A journeyman, beholden to a DoF, with the aim of getting clubs promoted. Bonus points for them staying up after I leave and snagging a cup or two along the way.

Edited by XuluBak

I’m wanting to start in League One this year, any suggestions? 

Currently thinking Plymouth or Peterborough. 

Edit: Would also consider Spain’s equivalent to League One if there was a good recommendation. 

Edited by Casanova

1 hour ago, Casanova said:

Edit: Would also consider Spain’s equivalent to League One if there was a good recommendation. 

Peterborough and leave the legend that is Barry Fry in charge of your transfers.

2 hours ago, Casanova said:

Would also consider Spain’s equivalent to League One if there was a good recommendation.

Deportivo La Coruna will definitely be interesting. Spanish champions in 2000, Champions League semi finals in 2004 but now in Spain's third level. 

15 hours ago, DominicForza said:

Dynamo Dresden or Kaiserslautern in Bundesliga 3 would be good saves as would Bursaspor in Turkish 2nd division.  

I  but still say THE MOST correct answer to this question is - Palermo

I did 12 seasons at Palermo in FM20, loved every second of it.  

Considering doing it again but don't know if i want to go over old ground! 

For me I have:

Dynamo Dresden - Very well supported team now in 3.Liga. Recently had new training and youth facilities built. If this is in the game the could well have the best facilities in 3.Liga.

Catania - Well supported Serie C team with good facilities. Rivals with Palermo. Palermo should be able to make a push to Serie A on their own, so you will be able to have a good rivalry as both teams climb up to the top tier. 

22 hours ago, Casanova said:

Depending on the challenge you want, think Sunderland would be good, 3years to PL, or good old Accrington Stanley.

Think I may after an EFC save or 2 try a Championship save with Wycombe Wanderers, as I think it's a real challenge to finish 21st with them.

On 19/10/2020 at 10:13, Ewan0404 said:

Also does anyone know if they are implementing the new Scottish league structure from below league two? 

They won’t be adding in the highland and lowland leagues or the new west of Scotland leagues but MozzaPlays will be releasing his custom database which will feature it all, I’ve asked him and he confirmed he will.

On 03/11/2020 at 11:28, wicksyFM said:

Dynamo Dresden - Very well supported team now in 3.Liga. Recently had new training and youth facilities built. If this is in the game the could well have the best facilities in 3.Liga.

Doing a Dynamo Dresden save now on FM19. Relegated them to 3rd in the editor but didn't really think it through. So they were on 2nd tier salaries in 3rd level, then the 20% clauses got activated when promoted to 2nd level :D

I'm trying to get a full team + staff of East-German/Soviet/Yugoslavian descent. 

St Johnstone, as always. First time in 7 years I can start a save without feeling bad about making Tommy Wright unemployed. Rebuild well underway as the squad is now filled with Scottish youngsters set up for expansive 3-4-3 football.

Scotland has a few interesting saves this season for people who like lower league saves.

Bottom of the pile is Brechin City, finished bottom of the league system last but avoided relegation due to the season not being completed. 17/18 they were in the second tier, and then suffered 2 consecutive relegation.

In the 3rd tier you have Falkirk and Partick Thistle both of whom have support levels larger than some top flight clubs, and a history of being top flight clubs, yet both face a fight to get promoted from that division against a modern day Gretna in Cove Rangers.

Second tier you once again have Hearts down there, despite having one of the largest budgets in the country. You'll have Craig Gordon, Steven Naismith and Liam Boyce at your disposal, in a division that contains part time sides. Alongside them is Dundee who, despite being one of the largest clubs in the country on paper, haven't had a sustained spell in the top flight for decades. A sleeping giant save there.

On 02/11/2020 at 12:23, Casanova said:

Biased, but Shrewsbury be a decent challenge from that level too. Posh may be too easy tbh. Hell of a player in Dembele though.

Spurs for the BETA to 'learn' the new game, i've always been a 4-2-3-1 kinda guy but want to try Jose's 4-3-3 and also see if they improved Son as they said they would.

Then it'll be save in MLS, normally I holiday and take over the team that came bottom but in FM21 you can start in US in 2021, a really great edition. 

Normal long-term save strategy: put nations in a hat, pick one, put numbers 1-20 in a hat, pick one. Where that team is alphabetically is who you manage. Start in that nation's lowest division with no badges and Sunday league. FM20 I got lucky with Recreativo De Huelva.

Not long now....... :D:D

For me either Brentford my team, Wealdstone my local club. Then i'll probably go for another non league challenge so either Harefield or Chalfont St Peter. I also fancy an AFC Wimbledon save, now they

have there brand new stadium open. 

On 02/11/2020 at 14:48, GianniM said:

Deportivo La Coruna will definitely be interesting. Spanish champions in 2000, Champions League semi finals in 2004 but now in Spain's third level. 

Deportivo is a fantastic call for a long-term save. The 2003/04 Champions League run was superb, absolutely loved Valeron as a player, who I believe manages the 'B' team at the club today.

Really looking forward to trying a lower league save this year, I have never built up a club into what I would consider to be mine. Ive had numerous saves with my home town club Sunderland and I will be doing a save with them this year. Outside of the UK Im now looking at doing a save with Frankfurt in Germany, mostly because I love watching videos of their fans on Youtube.

Main aim for this year though is to take a club in the lower reaches of the English League as far as I can. Ive never had a new stadium built and been known as a legend at the club.