Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

1 hour ago, hagedisboy said:

All the new features look good to me, I've read some comments saying "no-one cares, focus on the ME" and although I agree that the ME has been very disappointing last year, the new features do excite me. I just hope SI have fixed the ME as well. I haven't played FM since February I think and I really miss this game. It all comes down to the ME though, if it's better than FM20 I will definitely buy FM21 but if it's still not fixed I think I will say goodbye to FM forever.

I am also waiting for information about ME.
If ME is not fixed. It surely won't buy. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neil Brock unpinned and featured this topic

Encouraging changes there! Would be amazing if goalkeepers could foul players, it’s still an area that is sorely lacking. Would love to see a player running through on goal only to be taken out by the keeper. 

One of the most impressive examples of the improvements to player decision-making is Marking in FM21. With the improved decision-making, defenders can now react more intelligently to attacking movement and can pass their marking duties on to another defender while they move to close down another player as the attack unfolds. This will occur in both open play and during set-pieces.

As someone who enjoys playing defensive football very much, I couldn't be more excited. Intelligent marking is something that could make all those Sean Dyche tactics much more viable and if it works as well as it sounds, that could be a dream come true. :thup:

Awesome read about the AI. Hope it’s as good as it reads as it covers most of the complains I had about FM20 ME. Just hope that the set pieces part has evolved as well, as the blog just indirectly touched it. If the new ME is well balanced between attack and defense and it has a real visible effect in the ME, this will be the best FM ever as the off the field part of the game was already amazing in FM20 and the quality of life improvements sound great as well.

Edited by Icy

Fantastic read regarding the ME. I ve personally been very critical towards the other features but ME seems to progress leaps and bounds. Great news. If gegenpressing and the stamina issues are also fixed, we might have a fantastic ME. Any official word on gegenpressing / stamina?

I don't know, son... They certainly made a list of all the things that were working horribly in 20, and said "Why my dear gentlemen, of course it will be much more sophisticated this time, the improvement in quality will be astounding, I can assure you!", but excuse me for not believing they have managed to fix every one of these problems just like that...

After all this time, not even a good beta would convince me, I'll wait for next March's version to decide, thank you very much...

14 hours ago, Manutd1999 said:

The ME blog has perfectly captured the issues with the FM20 match engine - especially central play, 1v1s, attacking movement.:thup:

Would have been a big problem if it didn't, the forum is full of months' worth of feedback about these issues... Saying "yeh it'll work" is nothing.

Edited by Glen_Runciter

45 minutos atrás, Glen_Runciter disse:

I don't know, son... They certainly made a list of all the things that were working horribly in 20, and said "Why my dear gentlemen, of course it will be much more sophisticated this time, the improvement in quality will be astounding, I can assure you!", but excuse me for not believing they have managed to fix every one of these problems just like that...

After all this time, not even a good beta would convince me, I'll wait for next March's version to decide, thank you very much...

It is better to wait before making a "pre-trial". If they put these improvements on the list and don't comply, we can charge them later. For now we will give the benefit of the doubt, and that they did a special job

5 hours ago, He can't believe he's missed it said:

It certainly says a lot of encouraging things, looking forward to seeing it in action now

Me too. It's one thing saying it, another doing it. 

FM20 ME was announced with things like changes to the defensive players and their awareness, and it's one of my greatest criticisms of FM20's ME is that the defending, especially positioning, is so very substandard, while the issue of 2 players chasing the ball(considered pressing) is still prevalent and leaves holes around the field. 

I'm hoping for drastic improvement from FM21

The ME changes all sound fantastic and addresses all the major flaws in FM20 which made it a frustrating experience.

Have been let down so often, that i will wait for Demo & also the feedback here before taking the plunge. remaining guarded and hoping the ME is what SI claims to be. 

Very nice blog but very meaningless with out video proof or our hands on game. 

But! no need to worry as one will be in coming days and one in coming weeks. 

SI trust proof test is coming soon. 

For once I trust and am optimist, on this but not on skin. 

29 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Yeah this was about FM20:

One of the most noticeable changes that you’ll see during matches in FM20 is attacking movement. Players will now make more intelligent and realistic off-the-ball runs during attacking phases and these are contextualised to their position and selected player roles. Decision-making in the final third has improved as a result of the changes to attacking movement as well. The changes to attacking movement are influenced by your own instructions as well as the opposition’s. The defensive positioning mechanics have been overhauled as well. The entirety of the marking code has been rewritten. Defenders are able to make more intelligent decisions now in order to track the more advanced attacking runs players are capable of making.

Sounds great but the result was a disaster of a match engine.

thanks for the reminder. lol

One thing I'm worried they didn't mention though, is fixing the blatantly overpowered gegenpressing. That's been an ongoing issue for two years now, if they don't somehow make high intensity tactics have a much bigger penalty than they currently do, I will be very disappointed. Here we have a thread of a literal goalie retrained as striker topping the scoring charts thanks to super aggressive tactics, so if that's not enough of a proof certain combinations of team instructions are clearly broken (namely maxed out pressing, marking and tackling), I don't know what is. SI should take a look at some of the most downloaded tactics, virtually all of them are using the same set of instructions.

The thing with FM 20, I'm pretty sure the balance of play was pretty even during the earlier versions & it wasn't until later patches when other ME stuff was fixed it started favouring wide play again 

Only time will tell I guess 

18 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Does anyone know when we will be able to see some of the ME in a stream on youtube, twitch or whereever?

Will this be announced anywhere?

The latest ME blog mentions it'll be in the coming days.