Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Sevkak said:

I'll skip this year. Such a shame as I was looking forward to it. They will still get record sales that will justify their decision to add these tiny incremental and superficial "features". I've worked in many software companies and know exactly what's going on behind the scenes when these sort of features are decided. Once major features are released I'll revisit. Probably in a FM22 or FM23...

Too bad. Didn’t know what you expected. This was a chance for them to fix a lot of QOL problems and that is exactly what they are doing. I’m excited.

On 16/10/2020 at 07:18, PoeticOtter said:

But wide players will still get to the byline and smash it into the side netting, goalkeepers will never get a rating above 7, CB's long ball ability will be OP, 1v1s will happen often but rarely converted and strikers will shoot rather than picking a better pass option. 

Wide players will also smash it into the defender right beside them over any other option, and if they get into the box with no opponent near them and all they need to do is square to a teammate, they will pass it backwards out of the box or dribble to the corner post and shoot at said corner post.

Whose a betting man? I have real money that says these things will still happen.

4 hours ago, destmez said:

@Weston Good Job mate (look at Carlos Vela)

I've been too busy lately to keep up with everything so far, but it's great to see so many things I happen to have requested in the past being added!

I really, really hope that the "don't get booked" warnings come with the ability to click ONE BUTTON that AUTOMATICALLY tells all players to "ease up on tackles" after booked. I must've had to manually set this player instruction after each and every yellow that is given some 1,000,000 times in my FM career haha

What do you mean about Vela, though? I don't think that feature was one of my requests.

Just now, grade said:

I'm sorry, but i'm pretty much against this. Attributes is what make FM, FM.

I'm pretty shock that condition percentage is gone... bummer. :(

I understand. The attributes make it nice and easy to compare but I doubt any of the managers has a sheet where he can see that winger has 18 crossing and that one 17.

52 minutes ago, Weston said:

I've been too busy lately to keep up with everything so far, but it's great to see so many things I happen to have requested in the past being added!

I really, really hope that the "don't get booked" warnings come with the ability to click ONE BUTTON that AUTOMATICALLY tells all players to "ease up on tackles" after booked. I must've had to manually set this player instruction after each and every yellow that is given some 1,000,000 times in my FM career haha

What do you mean about Vela, though? I don't think that feature was one of my requests.

It wasnt on your topic ? 😯

25 minutes ago, tyro said:

It is good to move to something more realistic than numbers (that are helpful but take away from the game). I wonder what the condition options will be - green says "Peak". Is there "looks tired/fatigued?"

On the same note, I would actually like for future games to see the attributes become "hidden" (they can work in the background, for the engine to figure out chances, etc.) but that we will see text or description instead like the reports: is a very fast player, jumps high, knows how to cross, excellent finisher, etc. etc. etc. Maybe this could  be backed up by analyst data showing: he runs 100m in 10 seconds. Out of 10 crosses in training he gets 9 on target. Or something like that.

It is definitely a good move.

Horrible idea to hide attributes, IRL you can spot a good passer, crosser whatever using your eyes. An experienced manager spots the major strengths/weaknesses pretty quickly during training or in matches. 

Attributes are the only way to see this in a game such as FM.

25 minutes ago, tyro said:

I understand. The attributes make it nice and easy to compare but I doubt any of the managers has a sheet where he can see that winger has 18 crossing and that one 17.

They do not but they do have vastly more superior stats which are, imo, far more valuable than if they can quantify that TAA has like 17 crossing.  I would love an option to remove attributes but that stats are searchable for all seasons a player has played. So that we can search for example something like this " average xG from last 3 seasons > more than 0.6/90". And not just finishing, off the ball whatever > 14. But for that, FM would have to add many many maaaany more stats. Like progressive passes, sideways passes, through balls etc.

Edited by rosque

52 minutes ago, tyro said:

It is good to move to something more realistic than numbers (that are helpful but take away from the game). I wonder what the condition options will be - green says "Peak". Is there "looks tired/fatigued?"

On the same note, I would actually like for future games to see the attributes become "hidden" (they can work in the background, for the engine to figure out chances, etc.) but that we will see text or description instead like the reports: is a very fast player, jumps high, knows how to cross, excellent finisher, etc. etc. etc. Maybe this could  be backed up by analyst data showing: he runs 100m in 10 seconds. Out of 10 crosses in training he gets 9 on target. Or something like that.

It is definitely a good move.

Agree. The attribute masking feature is weak in its current state. I have to mod the game to get this effect.

Pretty excited about some of these improvements. Pretty disappointed about some other items missing (looking at you international management). 

I think that more than any of the previous 8 or so versions that I've played, this one is most like an expansion or a patch. 

I really hope I'm wrong and that coming reveals show for example that you can no longer gegenpress for 90 minutes straight. 

There could still be reveals that make this version worthy of a full price, but as of right now I don't feel that it is.

8 hours ago, Sevkak said:

I'll skip this year. Such a shame as I was looking forward to it. They will still get record sales that will justify their decision to add these tiny incremental and superficial "features". I've worked in many software companies and know exactly what's going on behind the scenes when these sort of features are decided. Once major features are released I'll revisit. Probably in a FM22 or FM23...

What "major features" would make you buy this year?

Not meaning that to be snide or anything, just genuinely interested.

3 hours ago, Choccy18 said:

Horrible idea to hide attributes, IRL you can spot a good passer, crosser whatever using your eyes. An experienced manager spots the major strengths/weaknesses pretty quickly during training or in matches. 

If training was good enough/interesting enough, to actually have human players watch it, I reckon it could be quite fun basing line ups off that and match performance rather than attributes.

Sure the LMA games used to have a section where you could set your strikers to have a session finishing and you could watch it happening.

FM 2021 will be a great beta game with a lot of cosmetic features to test the reaction to it.

FM 22 or 23, after those 3 or 4 years of tests, gonna have new ME and updates on tactics control.

I hope only that the bizarre and no working FM20's ME get tweaked and FM 21 become playble.

11 hours ago, tyro said:

I think many of us would love to play this way. I would love to just have scouting reports with more text-based assessments with the data coming from the analysts rather than having 1-20 on everything and the analysts only telling you regular stats.

I'm currently playing with hidden attributes thanks to a skin I've found (I only know 4 tiers. For example, between 1 and 7 I see a red square, 8-10 yellow, 11-14 green and 15-20 a stronger green). It's really interesting and nice. You have to rely on your instincts and scouts reports. I have some players which aren't that good in the sheet, but they perform on the field and they just stay as starters even if I have "better" players on the bench.

Hope FM includes this as an option in FM21, but if not, I'll just try to reuse this skin or learn how to move it to the new edition.

1 hour ago, Nahuelzn said:

I'm currently playing with hidden attributes thanks to a skin I've found (I only know 4 tiers. For example, between 1 and 7 I see a red square, 8-10 yellow, 11-14 green and 15-20 a stronger green). It's really interesting and nice. You have to rely on your instincts and scouts reports. I have some players which aren't that good in the sheet, but they perform on the field and they just stay as starters even if I have "better" players on the bench.

Hope FM includes this as an option in FM21, but if not, I'll just try to reuse this skin or learn how to move it to the new edition.

What skin is it?

14 hours ago, Choccy18 said:

I can't see them removing attributes.

There was an old football management game in the mid 1980's called "Soccer Supremo" on the BBC Micro. It didn't have attributes at all (at least not visible) but instead had a booklet with descriptions of your starting squad and potential transfers hinting at strengths and weaknesses. It made for an immersive experience at least on the first play through but I suspect the game still had player ratings under the hood. But it was an interesting change to the genre even at that early stage. Of course in that game you had a squad of about 18 players and potential transfers of around 60 players in total!

Don’t know how I feel about the new condition icons. I can see both sides, and it might end up being more realistic. Might take a while to get used to though. Guess we’ll have to see how it plays.

Edited by angelo994

hace 5 horas, Nahuelzn dijo:

I proposed this in here:

6 hours ago, Nahuelzn said:

Yea the reports are detailed enough for this to be an OPTION in the game. I personally don’t want to second guess starting a player with 16 finishing over the 17 finishing guy even though the 16 finishing guy is doing great but just because the 17 finishing is a bit better. Same with condition. It became a formula to not start a player with a certain number but what is really the difference between 75% and 77%?

hace 6 horas, Nahuelzn dijo:

Can you tell me the name of that skin? I really want to use it

On 15/10/2020 at 18:01, Neil Brock said:

No more waiting, FM21 feature information is here with this headline feature showcase, delivered by life-long FM fan Spencer Owen who sheds more light on this year's key feature areas.

FM21's new additions and game upgrades put all of the focus on you, delivering new levels of depths and drama through improvements to these key areas:

- Interaction
- Matchday
- Recruitment
- End of Season

More information will arrive on October 19th with our headline feature blogs, diving into much more detail, laced with gameplay screenshots. What are you most looking forward to getting your hands on?

FM21 is coming November 24th, pre-purchase now for 10% off and early access, participating digital retailers only - https://FM21.store/Pre-purchase 

A lot of  new stuff that doesn't impress me, seems it will be a FM2020 v2.0, way too bloated with unnecessary features. Kudos to the graphics improvement anyways, and the new post match report seems interesting. We shall see further down the road if I should have bought a new pair of trousers instead of this

56 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

What’s driven me away from recent versions is the failure of some roles to actually function in line with their in-game description.

The F9 and DLF spring to mind from FM19 onwards. In my opinion they simply do not work properly. Static movement and limited discernible difference between support and attack duty functions.

If this has been addressed, then it will have a huge impact on the match experience. 

If not, then it’s just more smoke and mirrors that fool the user into thinking the game has more tactical depth than it actually does.

Yeah F9 has been poor in FM for a while now

Too static and lack of movement

Also we need longer and more detailed animations explaining things such as how far up and how far down each role is

Edited by kingking

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

This new feature doesn't matter because the ME for many of the ST roles are broken especially False Nine

Also there NEEDS to be a better description of how far up or down each role is compared to each position.

This feature looks lacking with a 3 second animation that really doesn't explain enough

Edited by kingking