Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

Now that I have read the features in full detail and I like them in general, just hope the logic behind has been improved as well like for example that the new gestures is not just a graphical layer over the old aggressive, assertive etc buttons that barely used, just used aggressive after a big loss and that was it.

Also hope that these graphical and UI improvements and xg are not the only ones, looking forward for the next info.

Edited by Icy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Note – we’re not talking, today, about the changes to the match AI. Of course, there are lots of improvements there, but we’ll show some of those off with videos before release." - well, that's encouraging. A lot of us are looking forward to that. 

Honestly, if the current showcased features have logic and implications integrated behind them (agents, gestures, conferences, xG) rather than just plain interactions - those, along with match engine improvements are good enough for me. If it is just a reskin of old features under new headers, then it becomes a bit a problem. That remains to be seen.

Edited by themadsheep2001
fixed paste format

Regarding end of season achievement etc. Huge miss was trophy room, it can be even simple 2d. That would have been awesome to see room being updated with trophies won. God damn why i did not suggest it earlier.

Just now, MBarbaric said:

waiting for an inevitable "opposition had one shot and higher xG than my Barcelona with 30 shots on goal, THIS GAME SUCCS" :kriss:

My xG was 3.0 and I didn't score once, while the opposition had 0.1 xG and scored! GAME IS RIGGED! :kriss:

Personally I'm hyped about xG, CCC/Half chances can sod off. I will probably still have a lot of disagreements with how highly a chance should be rated, but at least seeing the exact number instead of "a header can never be a CCC!" will be nice.

Scouting changes look like they could have a lot of potential and being able to interact with the agents to gauge a players interest is definitely a nice addition.

Oh and sorting loans outside of the transfer window and animations should slide less now! That should make a couple people in this thread happy seeing how that were some of their major complaints. :lol:

Something we can talk about today is one of the ways that loans are changing in FM21. Now you'll be able to agree future loan deals outside of transfer windows meaning that you can get those short-term deals signed and sealed well ahead of schedule.

Finally! This might be worth preordering the game for alone tbh

I'm sure you get plenty of negative comments already after the blogs have been announced. 

I thought I'd say something positive for a change - call me old fashioned. 

I already bought the game a while ago but I'm looking very much forward to it. I like the changes that were announced. It am understanding what they are trying to do and I think it's great. 

We spend so much time on this game and these changes allow you to really dive in and be the manager. It feels more interactive and give you more control to express yourself in different ways. 

Yes, you can say this was there before. But then. Tactics were there in FM14. Scouting was there. Transfers were there. 

They revamped all those. So, if they revamp press conferences, team talks, pre-match briefings, how do those not deserve to be in the same line of improvements? 

You know what my measure of improvement is? Whether I can go back to a previous FM and still enjoy it the same way. Those that praise previous FMs, yes they were great at the time but you could also just look for the fastest striker and he would demolish the opposition. Only since maybe 2 FMs can I use a target man or a striker with not just speed but other good attributes and they can work. 

They improve an area each year. I'm liking what I see so far. 

I am liking what I am seeing but I got to admit that I am still concerned about one thing. 

"in-game covid effect". This was mentioned in section of "realistic market". If this mean that FM is trying to reflect the struggles the clubs are going through currently due to the pandemic financially, then fine, I am fine with that. But if this mean FM has covid pandemic included then I am going to say that I will be hugely put off from it. I hope this can be clarified. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, SazoJohnno said:

I am liking what I am seeing but I got to admit that I am still concerned about one thing. 

"in-game covid effect". This was mentioned in section of "realistic market". If this mean that FM is trying to reflect the struggles the clubs are going through currently due to the pandemic financially, then fine, I am fine with that. But if this mean FM has covid pandemic included then I am going to say that I will be hugely put off from it. I hope this can be clarified. 

It will be in our COVID effects blog as mentioned:

Recruitment also sees updates to the transfer market that managers operate in. Due to real-life changes within an ever-adapting game, FM21 introduces these refinements to react to the financial uncertainty in today’s transfer marketplace world and new behaviours that are developing as a result – there will be more details about this in a future “in-game Covid effects” blog.

5 minutes ago, SazoJohnno said:

Judging from what Miles previously said on twitter, the Covid effects in-game won't be major/overwhelming. I think it will be along the lines of scheduling in the first season, Euro 2020 being postponed to 2021, some cup competitions being cancelled, TV money being reduced in some cases. I don't think they'd include players/staff contracting CoViD-19 or playing in empty stadiums for god-knows-how-long until a miracle vaccine is invented.

32 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

waiting for an inevitable "opposition had one shot and higher xG than my Barcelona with 30 shots on goal, THIS GAME SUCCS" :kriss:

or dropping points to a team with a non penalty xG of 0 like Brighton did. A perfect time to throw a water bottle, and start making loads of snide digs in the press.

Proof will be in the pudding, but right i like how they all sound when tied together. Roll on the next lots of info and the match engine reveals

• SI Staff
51 minutes ago, He can't believe he's missed it said:

XG will only be a welcome addition if it's the real life model and the ME actually improves.

The xG model has been developed specifically for FM21 alongside SciSports - 

8 minutes ago, SazoJohnno said:

I think they are talking about th financial part. In the interview with Miles he mentioned he doesn't want people to come to the game and have the same thing as in reality (for that). But there might be financial restrictions or problems. Let's see. 

Just now, Dbuk1 said:

I would have thought match engine would be at the forefront on announcements. The fact it isn’t is a worry. The features sound pretty. The whole immersion falls apart when every single one of us has to use the main feature MATCH ENGINE. The rest can be skipped or delegated etc when bored and repetition sets in.

The match engine always has its own main reveal near the end, typically with videos and playthroughs

2 minutes ago, tyro said:

I think they are talking about th financial part. In the interview with Miles he mentioned he doesn't want people to come to the game and have the same thing as in reality (for that). But there might be financial restrictions or problems. Let's see. 

If I can in the editor remove any mention of Covid-19 in a easy matter, I will be happy. Don't mind of it is something of postponing euro 2020 to 2021.

But I have enough of Covid-19 as it is, don't need to be reminded in game.

I think the most important question right now is, obviously (mild sarcasm but genuinely would be a nice addition ;)), those new post-season celebrations talked about in the feature blog.

Will that include the German clubs' style of post-match celebrations of the players and coaches going over to the supporters to celebrate winning big games?

fc-jubel-wolfsburg.jpg

1 minute ago, Dbuk1 said:

I would have thought match engine would be at the forefront on announcements. The fact it isn’t is a worry. The features sound pretty. The whole immersion falls apart when every single one of us has to use the main feature....MATCH ENGINE. The rest can be skipped or delegated etc when bored and repetition sets in.

Usually, the ME is shown 'properly' at a later stage. They are still working on it, so it's better to show when they're in a better position to. No cause for concern at this stage.

5 hours ago, autohoratio said:

They actually confirmed that the Low Crosses instruction essentially does nothing, because, in their reasoning, "players will only attempt to play a low cross when there is space in front of them to pull it off and the targeted player to receive it", but wide players never play first-time crosses when there is space to do so, or hardly ever try Man City-esque pullbacks, and advanced forwards don't make a run into open space enough. Instead, the wide player will dawdle so that the full back can catch up with them and block the cross which goes straight out for a corner/throw-in without any attempt to beat their man, or they'll send an overhit high cross to the far post for the winger on the other side to try and head (and that far-side winger will almost always try to head it, inevitably going over the crossbar, instead of attempting to control it/bring it down to shoot at goal with their feet while there aren't any opposing defenders in front of them.)

Oh, you are pouring salt right into my wounds with this. I can't hate this crap more than I already do

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Would like to see a citation for that.

I quoted another poster, complaining about crosses, I don't know where the initial citations comes from. But I can confirm, that players more don't follow instructions, than do, in my case that is.

Anyway there is quite an interesting selection of unfinished topics in "tactics and match engine" bugs subforum. It shows what problems have been locked, known or reviewed at the point when SI stopped updating ME

5 minutes ago, warlock said:

Would like to see a citation for that.

From a bug report thread - SI devs have said players will only look to play low crosses under limited circumstances. But it is/was under review as a possible bug, because player should still be attempting them when the opportunity arises, but because of player behaviours (e.g. dawdling allowing their marking full back to catch up) that opportunity almost never arises.

Appreciate SI going into detail on these, but once again I'm left underwhelmed.

Intrigued by new animations and graphics, which we'll see in time - also the recruitment stuff looks a bit better - but the rest looks like the same stuff we've had for years but with a slightly different way of being presented...good for newer players I guess.

'Polished' is the word I'd use. Look forward to seeing what more there is in store though.

40 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

From a bug report thread - SI devs have said players will only look to play low crosses under limited circumstances. But it is/was under review as a possible bug, because player should still be attempting them when the opportunity arises, but because of player behaviours (e.g. dawdling allowing their marking full back to catch up) that opportunity almost never arises.

this is absolutely ridiculous that its been sitting around on SI's radar since Feb... 

nvm I guess.

Edited by bielsadidnothingwrong

1 minute ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

this is absolutely ridiculous that its been sitting around on SI's radar since Feb...

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that no one have given them any examples with timestamps since this is such a big issue. And I also find it strange to be a topic for discussion in this thread...?

1 hour ago, autohoratio said:

"Something we can talk about today is one of the ways that loans are changing in FM21. Now you'll be able to agree future loan deals outside of transfer windows meaning that you can get those short-term deals signed and sealed well ahead of schedule."

Finally! This might be worth preordering the game for alone tbh

16 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Was it you who wanted this? I remember someone on this thread mentioning they wanted this feature 😊

4 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

I think it was @Weston who brought it up in every "FM20XX feature wishlist" thread for the past few years but it's one I've been wanting for just as long

It's a Christmas miracle!!! I haven't had a chance to look at today's announcements yet so this is the first I'm hearing of it, but yes, I have been requesting this at every available opportunity for several years running now.

Though I have a long list of suggestions, this was never about adding a new feature, but rather correcting an inaccurate obstruction, and I'm very relieved we've finally got it done.

4 minutes ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

You probably should read the thread first. 

They actually said that they want the match engine to be as realistic as possible. If a low cross looks like it will fail, the player can use own decisions to do a floater etc. This is why people were supposed to give specific examples of the situation, so they can verify if this was an intended decision making or actually a bug.

After reading the blogs, I'm much more excited for the new features. That first trailer made it seem like the four new headline features were relatively small changes, but the blogs make it clear that interactions are getting a big revamp, while the other areas are changing quite a bit as well. I think SI has already shown enough to silence the "they should have skipped a year" arguments, even if they never made sense in the first place (I'm not looking to argue about this, so don't @ me if you feel differently).

That said, I'm in the camp of those who feel we need ME improvements more than anything else. FM20 was the second one (along with FM16) that I had to abandon after the final patch because the ME never reached an acceptable quality. I have already preordered FM21 because I trust SI and want to support them, but two years in a row of having to go back to older versions would be sad. Bring on the Beta!

Edited by kidd_05_u2

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I'm liking the mention of the improved transfer market. And being able to approach agents first.

This although sounded like a very small improvement not worth hardly even reading at 1st but in reality im at the stage in my save where its nearing the end of the season and my transfer target has 3 months left on his contract and i have NO IDEA whether he will renew or not and i either have to take a punt and pay some cash up front to garantee i get him or take a gamble and wait 2-3 months to see if i can get him for free in the hope that his club do not renew his contract. At the time of trying to make my desicion with the player seemingly sitting right infront of me i did think for a minute instead of having to wait a few months for the answer wouldnt it be nice if i could just ask him right now so we have some kind of idea.  So yea although understandbly it might not be a feature that gets people pumped at 1st sight im pretty sure its a feature that if done right could end up being very helpfull.

Edited by stoned_assasin