My 4-1-4-1 DM Tactic - Ineffective wingers and low amount of goals

Hi guys! First time poster, but I've been lurking a while and been playing the series since FM12.

This year I've been struggling trying to create a consistent tactic for a top team. I play Spurs and I believe I'm on my sixth season now. I've managed to win the league once and the champions league once during my tenure, but my teams performance just never seemed to click. I've tried a bunch of different approaches and tactics but never saw more than maybe a couple of good performances in a row. Last two seasons I've been third in the league. My problem is that my wing play is ineffective or at least inconsistent -- I've never had a winger score double digit goals in the league. Harry Kane has been carrying me, scoring 20-25 league goals a season, but around 10 of those are usually penalties. Last season my second best scorer was actually Davinson Sanchez, a defender with 7 league goals -- all from corners. My sturdy defence (best in the league in goals against last season) is what keeps saving my ass.

I have one of the best squads in the world but for some reason I can't get results to match that squad. I've tried different roles and different players, different setups and approaches and where did my failure bring me? Back to you.

A lot of my chances comes from crosses but it doesn't seem to make any difference to play a good strong aerial player (Zaniolo) on the wing either.

How can I improve this tactic to score more goals?

tactic.thumb.png.e4455150460457ab68d3af143bae5331.png

Don't dwell too much on the strikers role, he's been pf(a), dlf(a), cf(s), cf(a) and all seem to work decently (gets lots of shots and decent amount of goals -- albeit mostly from penalties). I usually add be more expressive and higher tempo if (when) failing to score. Sometimes I'll try to dribble more or work it in the box if I keep shooting from bad positions. Mez(a) is a CM(a) sometimes, dlp(d) is a dm or hb sometimes, if he is marked heavily.

form.thumb.png.8c6e1c1976a738ecfbd972be31650cfe.png

Here is my current form at the start of a new season. All is going well, as usual, but I feel I'm on the verge of losing the league again as ManU and Liverpool keeps smashing teams 4-0 every week.

Here is the performance of my team of the last two games which were disappointing to say the least:

everton_game.thumb.png.e264796e98570f4245f4c7e5def99bcd.png

celtic_game.thumb.png.9ace0f592488e6dd00921aa85b9d8df3.png

Almada plays as IF(s) or T(A), Sane plays as W(a). Both suck as you can see from the ratings. I would like my wide players to be consistent and the star players of my team. I see Salah, Mane, Sancho and Bailey boss the league for my rivals WHILE their striker also contribute heavily while my similar ability players score maybe 7 and get 8 assists. Any advice?

33 minutes ago, rtnn said:

Don't dwell too much on the strikers role, he's been pf(a), dlf(a), cf(s), cf(a) and all seem to work decently (gets lots of shots and decent amount of goals -- albeit mostly from penalties). I usually add be more expressive and higher tempo if (when) failing to score. Sometimes I'll try to dribble more or work it in the box if I keep shooting from bad positions. Mez(a) is a CM(a) sometimes, dlp(d) is a dm or hb sometimes, if he is marked heavily

Well, this can be one potentially big source of your tactical struggles, because tweaking roles and/or duties a lot is never a good idea. Instructions should sometimes be tweaked a bit, but never on a random basis or too many at once. Especially as your tactic from the screenshot does not look bad at all, and I think could be even better with just a couple of small subtle tweaks. 

Btw, could you post a screenshot of Zaniolo's player profile? 

Thanks for the reply ED! I do tinker quite a lot, mostly out of frustration. I usually watch mostly comprehensive highlights with a quite a bunch of the game in full and it gets pretty frustrating to watch my team playing well, usually dominating even, but failing to score more than 1 or 2 goals. I keep trying to find the secret formula when everything clicks -- which I think is a lot harder this year. I usually start to dominate the game at this point (sixth season at a big club).

So here is some more screenshots.

Here's Zaniolo and Bellingham, who compete and rotate as the Mez (a) / CM (a) position. I like this player to dribble the ball upfield, get in and around the box to get to crosses from the left winger and wing back and occasionally overlap the right sided winger. This role is usually pretty inconsistent too. He'll have a blinder every now and again, but gets around 5+5 league goal involments a season.

zaniolo.thumb.png.2aef11fe101383391d0806bdfcf8566a.png

bellingham.thumb.png.e33caee396ec07b94776d1e72edf5143.png

Here are the biggest underachievers. My top wing players. Sane and Renyer start most of the games, sometimes Zaniolo is pushed wide. I also have Bergwijn (a decent rotation option for both wings) and Brewster (more of an inside forward) who rotate and cover these positions. What is weird to me is that all of these players score similarly come end of season. Bergwijn and Brewster usually end up with 6-8 league goals since they end up getting decent game time from rotation and injuries, or when I give them a chance after Sane, Renyer and Almada doesn't do it. After they get to start a few games, their input also dies out so it has to be my tactic more than the players. Then Sane or Renyer plays a great game scoring a brace, and goes the next 5 again getting 6.5 rating.

sane.png.cefe7f5abc47f503322976ba0426ae8c.png

renyer.png.ccf03ad432dda402c22c1d30c537e1c6.png

almada.png.66ba59bb7feac4b20b18b47dfa7317a2.png

Left wing PI: Close down more, tackle harder, shoot less often

Split block. I want him to get to 1v1 situations after cross field balls, dribble past his man and play the ball to CF, CM(a), Iw(s) to finish it off. Sane had 7 goals and 7 assists in the league last season, playing about 25 games. He gets a lot of shots and draws a lot of penalties and he gets a good amount of crosses but my team won't finish them. 

Right wing Pi:

Close down more, tackle harder, roam from position

I want him to cause problems to opposition defenders with his movement and combination with the Mez/cma, and attack the box. Renyer actually had a decent season with 8 goals and 11 assists, the best league season I've gotten out of a wide player. He gets a lot of shots, though a lot of them are headers flying over the goal.

Mez(a) / cm(a) PI:

Close down more, Dribble more, Roam from position, more risky passes, shoot less often

I want him to progress the ball with running, attract opposition players to him to offset them towards right flank to make room for Sane. I also want him to get at the end of crosses and/or knock downs from my striker but he doesn't really do that. 

Edited by rtnn

You have to observe where the issues lies. Is the DLP spraying the ball wide for the winger for him to dribble and cross for just the CF? Is it going too fast for the IW and Mez to be a danger in the box? Then you need to slow down the transition. But if you do you might be making too easy for the opponent to organize themselves.

Your CM-s looks to have a lot of space and options. I'd try an AP-s there and a player capable of picking key passes. He should be good with both feet, ideally. This might give your game another option instead of just a DLP controlling from deep.

Edited by afailed10

Don't want to change too much as your not doing badly but if your tweaking plus have quite different players rotating/moving it could be hard to tell what works consistently.

1. Zaniolo is very left footed but playing as MEZ-At on right asked to run wide so probably needs to cut back to pass / cross or will look to pass outside.  IW probably fits him better cutting inside onto his left.
  2. Does the W-At in the current setup get isolated due to two other forwards being support and MEZ having to run from deep?  When you add Higher Tempo I'd expect that might happen even more.
  3. Almada is very different and so many traits I can't remember so maybe need a differently designed system to fit im into.

Either of these i'm basically trying to add a plan B so not just about the AML crossing:

1. My preference as i'm not a fan of MEZ in 4141 DM Wide is to tone down the MEZ-At to say a BBM-Su+CM-Su pair so more cover, lurking around the box and getting in late and leave space for the AMR. Then have ST as an attack duty (not sure on role) so more urgent to keep up with W-At.  Maybe making AMR a IF-Su so he takes more risks.  The DR could then overlap to make space inside for the AMR.
  2. Alternatively if you want to try to make the MEZ more key i'd not go higher tempo on positive mentality, i'd want to give him more time to make his runs from deep rather than the front 3 rushing things before he can catch up.  Could add Underlap Right to make the IW safer and have the right wing players look for passes inside to him.  Going back to my point about Zaniolo i'd prefer a right footed player so he can then shoot / cross / center without having to cut back.

6 hours ago, rtnn said:

Left wing PI: Close down more, tackle harder, shoot less often

6 hours ago, rtnn said:

Mez(a) / cm(a) PI:

Close down more, Dribble more, Roam from position, more risky passes, shoot less often

Why on earth the "shoot less often" for these guys/positions? I would remove that PI immediately, because it makes absolutely no sense to me. 

On the other hand, I do like the split block, so that's okay :thup: 

Just now, summatsupeer said:

Zaniolo is very left footed but playing as MEZ-At on right asked to run wide so probably needs to cut back to pass / cross or will look to pass outside.  IW probably fits him better cutting inside onto his left

This is a very good observation :thup: :applause:

2 hours ago, afailed10 said:

You have to observe where the issues lies. Is the DLP spraying the ball wide for the winger for him to dribble and cross for just the CF? Is it going too fast for the IW and Mez to be a danger in the box? Then you need to slow down the transition. But if you do you might be making too easy for the opponent to organize themselves.

I've narrowed down my attacking scenarios to three most frequent ones:

a) I dominate possession and when I make the cross the field ball to my winger or either wing back, the opposition is deep and has numerical advantage in the box. Usually the cross hits the first defender or it's a floated ball which I usually get to attack but the header is poor. This happens the most against weaker opposition. I'm not really sure what kind of approach would be best here.

b) I lose the possession battle but get to attack more directly. This happens against mid to good teams (Everton [see match stats above], Wolves etc). In these games the game is more open, the opposition gets to attack but my defence shuts them down. I usually end up getting a lot more shots on goal as my attackers get more space.

c) I get dominated. Happens against good teams with high pressing (Liverpool, RB Leipzig). I can't control the game and can't get enough attacks. I usually have to change my strategy completely in these games. A counter-attacking 4-4-2 works decently against Liverpool. I also sometimes get shut down against defensive minded teams with defensive formations, in a scenario which I guess we all have seen a lot in this game. I have a 4-2-3-1 high press tactic for these situations, which works sometimes.

I would like to be the one setting the tempo of the game but my tactic doesn't really do that consistently.

Your CM-s looks to have a lot of space and options. I'd try an AP-s there and a player capable of picking key passes. He should be good with both feet, ideally. This might give your game another option instead of just a DLP controlling from deep.

Would you still keep the defensive midfielder as a dlp alongside the ap?

2 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

Don't want to change too much as your not doing badly but if your tweaking plus have quite different players rotating/moving it could be hard to tell what works consistently.

1. Zaniolo is very left footed but playing as MEZ-At on right asked to run wide so probably needs to cut back to pass / cross or will look to pass outside.  IW probably fits him better cutting inside onto his left.
  2. Does the W-At in the current setup get isolated due to two other forwards being support and MEZ having to run from deep?  When you add Higher Tempo I'd expect that might happen even more.
  3. Almada is very different and so many traits I can't remember so maybe need a differently designed system to fit im into.

1. What I love about Zaniolo is his progressive runs. He creates a decent amount of chances just by running. He also runs quite a lot inside (he doesn't have runs wide with ball pi) but I guess he does end up stopping the run and turning backwards occasionally. I think he should be played more as a CM (a) with dribble more pi. And maybe a run through center trait? He does work okay as and inverted winger. Not bad, not great, just like every other winger I have. I do see Bellingham getting into crossing positions more often as a Mezzala than Zaniolo, I guess it's due to him being right footed.

2, Not really. He has the wb(s) as support and Tonali, Kovacic, Ajer are great passers of the ball and they all make beautiful cross the field passes to him a lot. I like him to be kind of isolated in a sense that he doesn't get to touch the ball that often but when he does he is in an 1v1 situation which he is great at and causes havoc with his dribbling. He also gets a good amount of shots but doesn't finish them off. Obviously something with him is off with the ratings he's been getting. To my eye he looks good though, just doesn't have the end product with the assists and goals.

3. Yeah I can't really get him to work. He doesn't really fit my tactic but I had to buy him when the opportunity rose. Just look at those attributes! I made a 4-2-3-1 tactic trying to make him the star but it didn't really work.

Either of these i'm basically trying to add a plan B so not just about the AML crossing:

1. My preference as i'm not a fan of MEZ in 4141 DM Wide is to tone down the MEZ-At to say a BBM-Su+CM-Su pair so more cover, lurking around the box and getting in late and leave space for the AMR. Then have ST as an attack duty (not sure on role) so more urgent to keep up with W-At.  Maybe making AMR a IF-Su so he takes more risks.  The DR could then overlap to make space inside for the AMR.
  2. Alternatively if you want to try to make the MEZ more key i'd not go higher tempo on positive mentality, i'd want to give him more time to make his runs from deep rather than the front 3 rushing things before he can catch up.  Could add Underlap Right to make the IW safer and have the right wing players look for passes inside to him.  Going back to my point about Zaniolo i'd prefer a right footed player so he can then shoot / cross / center without having to cut back.

1. Thanks for your input! I'll try BBM and IF.

2. I've tried the underlap but I felt it made my approach even more one sided as every potential play at right wing ended up to my left W(a).

Edited by rtnn
2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Why on earth the "shoot less often" for these guys/positions? I would remove that PI immediately, because it makes absolutely no sense to me. 

On the other hand, I do like the split block, so that's okay :thup: 

I felt like I needed to add a bit more patience to my play as I don't try work it in the box. The winger gets a lot of shots which he doesn't finish so a added the PI to get him to cross/square it more often. The same with the attacking cm. Especially Bellingham likes to make a great run but ends up shooting outside of the box. Tbh those instructions has been on for a while now, I'll try without them.

15 minutes ago, rtnn said:

I felt like I needed to add a bit more patience to my play as I don't try work it in the box

You can use shorter passing instead. It would make a lot more sense IMHO. Because reducing the passing length/directness automatically adjusts tempo accordingly. Alternatively, you can keep passing at default (standard) but tone down the tempo slightly. 

However, the setup of roles and duties still takes precedence when it comes to solving tactical issues. Speaking specifically about your current setup, I personally would be inclined to switch the AML (Sane) role to IF on attack and MCL (Kovacic) to a carrilero. 

Because if you want to keep the AML as a winger, then the striker should be given a simpler and less roaming and less creative role than CF. Anyway, there are different variants of how the front 5 (i.e. the front 3 + the 2 CMs) can be set up to be more effective and better balanced. 

19 minutes ago, rtnn said:

The winger gets a lot of shots which he doesn't finish so a added the PI to get him to cross/square it more often. The same with the attacking cm. Especially Bellingham likes to make a great run but ends up shooting outside of the box

PIs do not act like magic bullets and therefore cannot compensate for flaws in a tactic elsewhere. If a player does not have a better/safer/more viable option, he will tend to attempt a shot regardless of the PI. In other words, PIs should be viewed primarily as auxiliary (secondary) tactical tools, rather than primary ones. 

Sorry about a long journal type of an entry. I played the Everton game again with a revisited tactical setup. The original result can be seen from my earlier post. It was a scrappy game where I lost possession but managed to get a lot of shots and created a fair amount of chances but only scored one penalty goal to seal a 1-0 win.

This time I played like this:

1209562245_revisitedtactic.png.40839c6ff665278a3770432631e2a687.png

At first I didn't see much improvement. I lost the possession battle but got a lot of shots. Here are some plays diced up:

Build up:

build_up.thumb.png.f015f593021c483398e7ef4dd49c94ff.png

The anticlimax:

anticlimax.thumb.png.cc6c6fc9479c612449f4cee142bd7ea9.png

This is what I see often. Now I actually payed more attention and saw the lack of movement from my striker OR how the attack was too fast for him to be involved.

Attack 2:

build_up2.thumb.png.08e6dcbddf0079244d9e54630f37f874.png

Quick long ball from the GK to Sane who comes deep. He plays the ball to Kovacic who makes a beautiful pass to the left wb this time as Sane is still quite deep. The forward is kinda useless again as you can see in the end result:

The anticlimax:

anticlimax2.thumb.png.67ed15136e503edcd749e382785185b3.png

Too fast of an attack again? Wijndal has to dribble himself to the edge of the field before Parrot is even somewhat close.

Here's another failed attack:

625786500_anotherfailedattack.thumb.png.bef18ed6009fb0552044cdd3868c9c1b.png

Alonso came in for disappointing Sane. This is another type of attack I see a lot. A succesful cross but it's a weak effort and float over the goal or wide.

tbc...

continued from the post above.

Almost a goal! At this point the game was 1-1 I believe and I was getting anxious. Once again the finishing is lacking.

1960644018_almostthere.thumb.png.3c46e8bef89cc80b7e8ad6801e02e65f.png 

Finally a breakthrough! It was the 88th minute and I was leading 2-1 at this point and the opposition started taking more risks.

1915386670_finallyagoal.thumb.png.ac63dbd281f410d0e718192918802f29.png

This time the attack took a bit longer and I got players in the box. Short passes was the key here and got me an easy tap in.

Here are some match stats:

stats1.png.338718bc9ed5436f8dd51f8e4786fa20.png

stats2.png.b0b121d7a60fc99aeb6cb225a3028b10.png

Once again, in paper a solid win but some of the plays left a lot more to desire. Also I feel the amount of shots and chances should've given me a more solid lead earlier and a lot of the goals I did score wasn't due to the tactic itself.

1st goal: Renyer long solo run from center of the field after a succesfull counter press. Good press but I can't rely on these kind of runs.

1-1: opposition levels the game with a wonder strike.

2-1: an opposition own goal after a long throw in (these are very succesful for me)

3-1: finally an open game goal at the 88th minute! Had me biting my nails again and fearing for the worst,

3-2; oh the fear isn't over yet. They start to attack with more risk and get an instant reward. Two shots on target, two goals today for Everton...

4-2: a corner kick goal. My specialty, A good source of goals for me, but I'm over reliant of them. At least I got the win.

3 Clear cut chances, 5 half chances, 3 hit woodwork, 15 shots on target. Overall I think the tactic is ALMOST there. The winger was ineffective once again, but I'm not sure if it's due to the tempo or passing directness. I need to tinker with those. I actually got some goals from my wide players too, so I'll keep this setup for now and see where it takes me. Zaniolos role was a lot more subdued and Kovacic as cm(s) took the limelight with some great dribbles and passes. 

What do you make of this?

Edited by rtnn
1 hour ago, rtnn said:

1. What I love about Zaniolo is his progressive runs. He creates a decent amount of chances just by running. He also runs quite a lot inside (he doesn't have runs wide with ball pi) but I guess he does end up stopping the run and turning backwards occasionally. I think he should be played more as a CM (a) with dribble more pi. And maybe a run through center trait? He does work okay as and inverted winger. Not bad, not great, just like every other winger I have. I do see Bellingham getting into crossing positions more often as a Mezzala than Zaniolo, I guess it's due to him being right footed.

I made a slight mistake, MEZ-At has Stay Wider but Run Wide with Ball is only optional, though as you noted its the typically movement pattern due to being wider or in a channel if he is right footed.  I personally prefer the left footer to be MCL and right footer to be MCR, it just seems to make play flow better.  MCR should have more passing options with right foot than left without having to adjust body etc.

1 hour ago, rtnn said:

2, Not really. He has the wb(s) as support and Tonali, Kovacic, Ajer are great passers of the ball and they all make beautiful cross the field passes to him a lot. I like him to be kind of isolated in a sense that he doesn't get to touch the ball that often but when he does he is in an 1v1 situation which he is great at and causes havoc with his dribbling. He also gets a good amount of shots but doesn't finish them off. Obviously something with him is off with the ratings he's been getting. To my eye he looks good though, just doesn't have the end product with the assists and goals.

Need to look at what happens once he gets it then.  Who's in the box for him to cross to, are they outnumbered? etc

Sorry about a long journal type of an entry. I played the Everton game again with a revisited tactical setup. The original result can be seen from my earlier post. It was a scrappy game where I lost possession but managed to get a lot of shots and created a fair amount of chances but only scored one penalty goal to seal a 1-0 win.

This time I played like this:

1209562245_revisitedtactic.png.40839c6ff665278a3770432631e2a687.png

Looks like what I had in mind.

At first I didn't see much improvement. I lost the possession battle but got a lot of shots. Here are some plays diced up:

Build up:

build_up.thumb.png.f015f593021c483398e7ef4dd49c94ff.png

The anticlimax:

anticlimax.thumb.png.cc6c6fc9479c612449f4cee142bd7ea9.png

This is what I see often. Now I actually payed more attention and saw the lack of movement from my striker OR how the attack was too fast for him to be involved.

CF gets a lot of freedom even on attack duty.  Does he have any traits to that would make him favor dropping deep?

BBM is in ideal position IMO.  The IF has that back post and BBM has space to run into for a deeper cross.  The ST should really be occupying the CBs to assist with that and make even more space for the BBM late run into the box.

Attack 2:

build_up2.thumb.png.08e6dcbddf0079244d9e54630f37f874.png

Quick long ball from the GK to Sane who comes deep. He plays the ball to Kovacic who makes a beautiful pass to the left wb this time as Sane is still quite deep. The forward is kinda useless again as you can see in the end result:

The anticlimax:

anticlimax2.thumb.png.67ed15136e503edcd749e382785185b3.png

Too fast of an attack again? Wijndal has to dribble himself to the edge of the field before Parrot is even somewhat close.

BBM seems to be quite deep at start of the move whilst that DL (WB-Su?) is suuuupppppper high, maybe he swapped position with W-At due to something that happened earlier?

If ST makes a better run he's open at front post.

Here's another failed attack:

625786500_anotherfailedattack.thumb.png.bef18ed6009fb0552044cdd3868c9c1b.png

Alonso came in for disappointing Sane. This is another type of attack I see a lot. A succesful cross but it's a weak effort and float over the goal or wide.

Where Renyer is, there's no where for the BBM to make a run except if he goes wider.

The opponents have a lot of players back so i'm not sure how "quick" it was.  I doubt tempo would really affect this.

5 minutes ago, rtnn said:

Almost a goal! At this point the game was 1-1 I believe and I was getting anxious. Once again the finishing is lacking.

1960644018_almostthere.thumb.png.3c46e8bef89cc80b7e8ad6801e02e65f.png 

Finally a breakthrough! It was the 88th minute and I was leading 2-1 at this point and the opposition started taking more risks.

1915386670_finallyagoal.thumb.png.ac63dbd281f410d0e718192918802f29.png

This time the attack took a bit longer and I got players in the box. Short passes was the key here and got me an easy tap in.

Here are some match stats:

stats1.png.338718bc9ed5436f8dd51f8e4786fa20.png

stats2.png.b0b121d7a60fc99aeb6cb225a3028b10.png

Once again, in paper a solid win but some of the plays left a lot more to desire. Also I feel the amount of shots and chances should've given me a more solid lead earlier and a lot of the goals I did score wasn't due to the tactic itself.

1st goal: Renyer long solo run from center of the field after a succesfull counter press. Good press but I can't rely on these kind of runs.

1-1: opposition levels the game with a wonder strike.

2-1: an opposition own goal after a long throw in (these are very succesful for me)

3-1: finally an open game goal at the 88th minute! Had me biting my nails again and fearing for the worst,

3-2; oh the fear isn't over yet. They start to attack with more risk and get an instant reward. Two shots on target, two goals today for Everton...

4-2: a corner kick goal. My specialty, A good source of goals for me, but I'm over reliant of them. At least I got the win.

3 Clear cut chances, 5 half chances, 3 hit woodwork, 15 shots on target. Overall I think the tactic is ALMOST there. The winger was ineffective once again, but I'm not sure if it's due to the tempo or passing directness. I need to tinker with those.

What do you make of this?

I'd not do anything too drastic, you got the win and there's some good signs do don't go throwing extra TIs in there at this point.  Keep looking at whats happening like that but i'd focus on the ST.  Check his attributes and traits to see if anything that would make him play deeper.   DLF-At has very similar movement as shown so i'd maybe go straight to PF-At, AF-At or P-At to get those earlier runs to give the W-At an earlier option.  Doesn't look like he's needed to link, especially if your asking them to dribble more, I think Kovacic has that trait anyway?

13 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

CF gets a lot of freedom even on attack duty.  Does he have any traits to that would make him favor dropping deep?

BBM seems to be quite deep at start of the move whilst that DL (WB-Su?) is suuuupppppper high, maybe he swapped position with W-At due to something that happened earlier?

I'd not do anything too drastic, you got the win and there's some good signs do don't go throwing extra TIs in there at this point.  Keep looking at whats happening like that but i'd focus on the ST.  Check his attributes and traits to see if anything that would make him play deeper.   DLF-At has very similar movement as shown so i'd maybe go straight to PF-At, AF-At or P-At to get those earlier runs to give the W-At an earlier option.  Doesn't look like he's needed to link, especially if your asking them to dribble more, I think Kovacic has that trait anyway?

1. No the CF doesn't have those traits, I think he just decides to roam from position when he really shouldn't. I need to see how Kane plays in this role when he returns as he is a glorious player. I'll also try Pf(a) and maybe Af(a) the next few games. 

2. Yes the DL went forward when Sane dropped deep to receive the long pass from the keeper. BBM is still deep because it was a goal kick which was given fairly quickly. 

3. Thanks for your input. I'll try to push the forward more... Forward. Kovacic and Zaniolo are magnificent dribblers and passers so I don't think he needs to or even gets a chance to contribute to the build up. I think this tactic is almost there!