Assistance for an old newcomer

So i'll start with a confession: I havent played FM in 10years. FM10 was the last one, and still in my top 5 of highest steamhours (and my second game ever, after ETW as FM08 wasn't on steam.)

So being fed up with the career modes of PES and fifa, and having the game free on epic, I decided to have a go (Ive always kept following the game, mainly watching streamers). I's strangely familair yet also somewhat disorientating. There is so much more information available and feedback that it is sometimes hard to get your head around

I picked Milan because a) I know and like the team, and the expectations are fairly decent (europa league in the first season).  I turned off the first transfer window out of realism (and you don't have any money anyway). To my surprise, I'm doing exceptionally well. After 18 games, Im in second place with only one loss (to "Zebre"), and some unexpcted (undeserved I would say) wins against Atalanta, Roma and Inter. The reason I say it's undeserved is because in my gut it's mostly luck rather than tactics. We only scored 24 goals (of which 3 are penalties), and played twice against ten men for almost the complete game. We only conceded 9, but madman Donarumma stopped 3 penalties already. In the savegame its december 18th so looking for some tips before second half of the season + 1st transferwindow

I am using the OP/broken 4-2-3-1, in two variants: attacking wingplay when favourites and cautious counter attack when not (see attached; I would upload a savegame, but it's already too big, selected a lot of leagues). I usually let the assistent do the opposition instructions and havent really tweaked too much on set pieces etc.

So what I'm looking for is feedback on the tactic and tips for milan, and other general tips a newcomer will miss out on.

Some general remarks:

-I'm playing Leao because I want to use him next year as Ibra his wages are too excessive

-Maldini has been developping exceptionally, thats why he is on the left (as Hakan is injured as well)

-Im offloading Krunic and Biglia this winter, so some transfer recommendations would be nice

-Any tips on getting Donaruma to extend his contract?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, like said, it's a bit overwhelming for someone who comes back to it :)

Tactic1.jpg

Tactic2.jpg

Edited by Experienced Defender
inappropriate word

A good place to start is to switch fullback roles = The left flank has a lot of movement and no cover.

Another step is to reconsider the LCM<----->AMC relationship. BBM does work(a lot of people find success with it. But i, occasionally, will leave you with only one player in defensive transitions(something you might not be able to afford, except with top tier pacey Center halves). A BWM-su might suffice and you can force penetration with a Treq in AMC.

The RW can be a W-su. You may want to reduce the choke on your AMC & allow him more space to do his thing. CB stopper can just be De.y

Your ST.=A drop in type might be good. PF-a? Dlf-a? CF-a? F9-su? CF-su? Etc, to bring players in.

Pressing= You can balance your pressing by using your ST, LW,RW to force an early press. This means giving all these positions( 

ST = close down more, mark specific position(DC).

LW/RW = close down more, mark tighter. This press is referred to as split pressing. Makes you less vulnerable in defense, as your other players assume original positions and press within zones , rather than everyone chasing the ball franctically)

lastly, Your Team Instructions. It seems you've adopted what would/could be a very good counter attacking balance.

However, Your "In-possesion" Team instructions seem too much. Take all off and just keep "more direct passing". You can add/tweak as the game goes on.

You can also reject all of this and just focus on understanding the dynamics of a 4-2-3-1 & see if there's more you wish to explore. Also read the guidelines on the Home-page do you can be eased into this year's version. So much has changed since 2010.

1 hour ago, eXistenZ said:

I am using the OP/broken 4-2-3-1, in two variants: attacking wingplay when favourites and cautious counter attack when not (see attached; I would upload a savegame, but it's already too big, selected a lot of leagues). I usually let the assistent do the opposition instructions and havent really tweaked too much on set pieces etc.

Attacking variant:

• Looks overly aggressive: Attacking Mentality + Attack Duty = Very Attacking individual mentality, meaning you have multiple players being extremely aggressive. While you might be able to overwhelm the opposition in some games, you could end up getting frustrated against defensive opposition that will deny you easy space (i.e. rushed shots and crosses, resulting in low-quality chances).
  • Both Inverted Wingers cutting inside could result in a lack of width, especially since they're likely to rush their shots before Wing Backs have a chance to overlap (you have them operating on Very Attacking individual mentalities, as explained above). Besides that, it's never good to congest one area of the pitch too much (i.e. have everyone occupy the same area). If everyone's stacked on top of each other, those players will have very little space to maneuver in and will be easy to defend against.
  • The above is further compounded by aggressive Team Instructions such as More Direct Passing, Pass Into Space, Much Higher Tempo and Counter. Combined with Attacking Mentality, which already increases all of those quite drastically, you're essentially asking your team to play extremely gung-ho football. Again, might work against attacking teams that leave you space to exploit, but since you're managing a high reputation team like Milan, you won't face many of those. Most teams will line up defensively from the very start, meaning you will most likely end up hitting a brick wall and keep losing possession needlessly.

Personally, I would tweak it like this:

roI0uQa.jpg

• Standard Mentality
  • Wider Attacking Width, Higher Defensive Line, Counter-Press, More Urgent Closing Down

That would be my starting point for a team like Milan and then I would observe and change things as I go.

2 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Tactic1.jpg

First tactic (custom wing-play):

- left flank/side very vulnerable defensively

- right flank may lack wide attacking support in the final third due to the combo of a conservative fullback role, holding CM role on defend duty and inside-cutting wide forward role (IW as opposed to standard winger) 

- you opted for a wing-play style but do not use a single winger (role), which is somewhat contradictory

- the combination of much higher tempo and more direct passing under the attacking team mentality - which automatically entails high tempo and more adventurous passing style - means you are rushing play really too much and therefore losing possession easily and cheaply (which can especially play into the hands of defensive opposition) 

Tactic2.jpg

Second tactic (custom fluid counter) looks even worse than the 1st one because counter-attacking styles primarily need to be solid in defese, both in terms of optimal compactness (i.e. the distance between DL and LOE) and balance of roles and duties - and yours fulfills neither criteria 

After 18 games, Im in second place with only one loss (to "Zebre")

But given that your tactic(s) obviously work(s) in terms of results (despite all the flaws) - most probably thanks to the quality of your players - please ignore my remarks and do not change anything (at least as long as it works) :thup:

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I fell into the trap of wanting too many lightgreens - looking at how comfortable my players are at their role, rather than looking at which role is required. It's true that I have it easier against big teams, and had a lot of luck against midtable teams (an own goal, a few red cards).

I put my Leftback on more of an attacking role, cause that tends to be what Theo hernandez is good at. But it makes sense that Inverted wingers will congest the pitch and don't leave Paqueta enough room. I've adapted it more for wing play. Hopefully I see more consistency now in regards to goals/chances created. But that is a bit of my gripe: you have feedback everywhere, except in the tactics department, where your assistent seem to contradict himself/change his mind often

Any advice on transfers/long term development, as the first window is coming up? Or any other things I should look more into? I didnt do much with staff for example, and its difficult to shake the feeling your forgetting things that will cost you in the long term

Edited by Experienced Defender
inappropriate word - again

I hit quite a slump, and offcours, as soon as i reverted to standardtactics, both football and results improved :) I'lldo a bit more research after this season.

For me it's still difficult to know the specifics of certain team instructions. I know what they do, but I don't know when exactlyto use them. What I really need is a "use more direct passing if your team is mostly x, or the enemy y,  or have some players with trait z". And "use shorter passing when A or b is aplicable". To be honest, I havent watched a lot of football in the past years

On a positive note, I think I manage to keep morale up pretty well.

Edited by eXistenZ