Are you interested in video content in this sub-forum?

Jimbokav1971

Are you interested in FM video content in here?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in FM video content in here?

• No. I watch YouTube and/or Twitch but I come here for written content only.
    • No. I'm not interested in video content at all. Not here or anywhere.
    • Possibly, it depends who is creating the content. (I'm fussy)
    • Yes. I watch loads of FM content on Youtube and/or Twitch and would love to see my favourite threads in here brought to life in video.

I voted for possibly on this. I think it would depend what the save was about whether I would check into it. Would it have commentary? Would the video be embedded so I didn't have to go to a link? That would probably be my general thinking. But I read your Irchester save, so would likely be inclined to view your save on YouTube as well I would think.

I think generally I am not averse to a video series, although generally there appears to be a specific divide between the people that do videos and people who do an update thread here for example. I do watch people like Doctor Benjy et al and I do read stories here. Not sure I generally enjoy one more than the other. I think the stories on here are good because it allows to some degree a well formulated post of what is happening, whereas a video generally allows for kind of experiencing what the player of the game is kind of feeling if he is say playing a cup final. They are kind of different I would say.

I think I would be more inclined to care about what is the purpose of the save, what is it aiming to achieve, and then if it is written on the forums is it formatted in a way or written in a way that is enjoyable to read and provides context to what is happening, if it is a video, is the commentary good enough and is the video structured in a way that makes it interesting i.e. I wouldn't really find someone playing through an entire Premier League season on Twitch that interesting unless they provided top tier commentary due to massive gaps in the process (but some people would or the FM streamers wouldn't have no viewers), but would find it interesting for example if someone provided an update style video series for a challenge that I thought was fun or challenging.

Just my two cents

I've personally found in terms of my own viewing habits that FM doesn't often translate that well to Youtube, as aside from the games it's quite hard to properly see the details of the game unless you watch it on HD and full screen mode. I'm someone who will sometimes have things on Youtube like Podcasts or reviews of things and stuff on whilst I do other things, like play FM myself or browse the forums or whatever. 

I prefer following threads on here and just reading through them when I get the time, but I think that there is undoubtedly a big market on Youtube for FM content so don't let my or anyone on here's personal preference get in the way of branching out to that sort of thing if you're looking at doing it. I'm sure you could probably make a decent success of it.

I don't have anything against video content being posted on here alongside a running thread and certainly I think if that's something you're looking to go down then I'd wish you all the best, as with your extensive knowledge of the game if you had decent production/presentation of it, especially with the kick-start you would get initially from the following you have on here if you hit the right algorithms with tags/names of video and content then you could possibly even "make it" on Youtube to the point you're getting at least 4 figures worth of subs, then possibly kick on even further if you had the time to really invest in editing and putting out videos on a regular basis. 

Another thing I think you have going for you is that with the goal-scoring keepers that's quite a quirky thing that's very much "you" and your style on here, and I think something like that would help sell your content even further to people as it's a USP and something different/fun that people could get behind, and also something visual you can show them scoring etc. 

Oh also one other thing I'd add if you do start making Youtube videos.

This seems to be a very common thing I've noticed that the more popular FM viewers do, I'm not a regular viewer or subscriber to any, but is something I find annoying whenever I do come across a vaguely interesting looking FM related video. 

Say for instance they're doing an experiment save. 

When they show off the findings, there's no real sort of preparation or extensive/considered analysis of it. 

Say they've simmed a season, when presenting what's happened they do it almost like a reaction video where they're skimming through the game, flicking from screen to screen like "ooh United won the league, let's see who they signed. Right yeah they signed Oblak, oh and let's have a look at the transfers that City made oh and Pep got sacked!" 

It's hard to follow and doesn't really make the best use of the content they have available to them. 

If it was a thread on here by most people you'd get some kind of background to the information you're getting, like the first video would be an analysis of all the transfers that were made in the first summer club by club if there's interesting stuff, then maybe a mid-season look at what's happened, how the table was looking, how sides were doing in Europe, then maybe a look at the January window, before finally doing an end of season update where you can break down all the stuff that happened individually.

Like I'm sure how they do it saves a lot of time in editing, but I see some of these videos with 10K-15K views and whilst the ideas are very good and attract the views, the actual presentation of it is fairly poor, and a 20 minute video could have potentially been five or six 10-15 minute videos which would've likely got them more views and interest. 

I'd personally recommend when presenting most stuff (aside from the actual games of course) to just do it with screen-shots of stuff, sort of like you'd get on a thread, where you can talk over having already found the interesting information, as watching someone flip from screen to screen on their own game of FM as a bird's eye view of them finding stuff out doesn't work for me. 

Thanks for the votes and the feedback. Keep it coming please. :thup:

Yes it is something I'm considering. 

I'm not sure that I have the personality to be an "entertaining YouTuber", (because I think that's what most are in the main). I'm not really looking to "entertain", (that's not the right word), but I also wouldn't say that "educate" is right either. I'm not really sure how I would describe what I'm thinking of. I suppose the answer is that I'm trying to do something that mirrors the style of my thread, (whatever that is). I'd like to think that my thread contains some humor, but that doesn't mean I'm aiming to be funny or entertaining. It's just me writing what's in my head at that time. 

@PaulHartman71is right about the Goal-scoring GK stuff being particularly niche and I see the likes of Lollujo gaining plaudits off the back of that at the moment, (which is great), and I think I've been doing it, (with the likes of @leonavich and the YouTube sensation that is @NepentheZ) for about 10 years now. Having said that Lollujo is actually very good at entertaining and I think his style for example is that he is naturally quite a fun and engaging personality. He's a Teacher by trade and I think it comes across what  a good communicator he is. The idea of me streaming for hours on end and expecting someone to watch it sounds as dull as dishwater, even to me. :lol: For those of you who don't know by the way, @NepentheZused to be a regular contributor in the Challenge forum and was always a regular in the @dafugeand @Gundothreads. He converted to FIFA and the rest as they say is history. 

It's often quite hard to be self-critical but I would say that my threads are a little different to many. I try to keep to a standard update template, with additional areas of focus, but then I completely go off on a tangent and really focus on very small aspects of the game. I would say it's these "niche" aspects/areas that probably define my style. It might be Youth Only or Goal-scoring keeper, or poached players, ill-discipline, sell-on clauses or any  number of things, but I really try to focus on the small and unusual things. Anything that I would create would be an extension of this rather than a new style. 

The other thing I would say is that many of you know that I use the "IR" button, and I haven't seen a single FM video on YouTube, (or anyone live streaming on Twitch), doing so. There is probably a very good reason for that in that who wants to watch someone else play without seeing the games? I suppose the answer is someone who is looking to follow a proper #YouthOnly save deep into the future, without the creator deciding after a few tough seasons that they are going to relax the rules and get some loans in and then sign them  because they are "almost" products of the Academy. I'm not keen at all on doing that.

It's hard to describe what I'm thinking of, but the best way I can think of is a video based version of my threads. I would be focussing on the same/similar things and playing in the same way. I'm also thinking that any video's I produce will be in addition to my thread  and that the 2 will compliment eachother. I often use GIFs for GK goals, but I would love to be able to show more highlights for example.

This is far from a done deal by the way. Really just having a think and wondering what the response might be so thanks if you have voted or responded. :thup:

Topic pinned.

I've never had any interest in seeing video careers on here myself, and there should be another place for them since they mainly seem to be channel/series promotion. When we had the previous poll a few years ago it also came up in the Mods room and Neil Brock pointed out that there wasn't really anywhere else suitable (with the fansite subforum being pretty much defunct at this point) and it's best to just allow them and see if they attract much interest and engagement (which they don't much).

I do watch videos on youtube but not very much. There are only so many content creators of all kinds you can properly follow, probably no more than a few. For me it's Loki Doki for FM, Master Hellish for OpenTTD (and other stuff with trains in) and Linkara. Previously I watched a lot of a few Paradox/Strategy gamers (like Kailvin and Shen when they were active) but now I only watch the occasional Quill18 series. It's hard to fit in much more than that on a consistent basis.

Oh and the votes are not private to me. We mods see all and know all! ;)

17 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Topic pinned.

I've never had any interest in seeing video careers on here myself, and there should be another place for them since they mainly seem to be channel/series promotion. When we had the previous poll a few years ago it also came up in the Mods room and Neil Brock pointed out that there wasn't really anywhere else suitable (with the fansite subforum being pretty much defunct at this point) and it's best to just allow them and see if they attract much interest and engagement (which they don't much).

I do watch videos on youtube but not very much. There are only so many content creators of all kinds you can properly follow, probably no more than a few. For me it's Loki Doki for FM, Master Hellish for OpenTTD (and other stuff with trains in) and Linkara. Previously I watched a lot of a few Paradox/Strategy gamers (like Kailvin and Shen when they were active) but now I only watch the occasional Quill18 series. It's hard to fit in much more than that on a consistent basis.

Oh and the votes are not private to me. We mods see all and know all! ;)

Thanks very much for pinning. :thup:

I used to watch Teach playing FM, but he has been swayed by the dark side that is driving cars round and round in circles. 

Quill 18 is brilliant for non-FM content. :applause:

I might have a podcast or music playing in the background and find that between that and playing FM, I am 'splitting' my attention enough. I've not found myself watching Youtube videos as a result as if I do actually watch a video I want to focus on it and not be switching between Youtube/FM/something else in case of missing something. 

I have watched a few on FM topics, so see something very specific (on mentoring for example), but that's usually when I have not been doing anything else. I am just as happy to read a detailed report of how someone is doing/playing - as opposed to watching a video on it - and that makes me want to go and implement something on my own. Watching someone else playing on a video makes me feel like just looking over someone's shoulder rather than engaging me directly.

7 minutes ago, Johnny-Trotter said:

I might have a podcast or music playing in the background and find that between that and playing FM, I am 'splitting' my attention enough. I've not found myself watching Youtube videos as a result as if I do actually watch a video I want to focus on it and not be switching between Youtube/FM/something else in case of missing something. 

I have watched a few on FM topics, so see something very specific (on mentoring for example), but that's usually when I have not been doing anything else. I am just as happy to read a detailed report of how someone is doing/playing - as opposed to watching a video on it - and that makes me want to go and implement something on my own. Watching someone else playing on a video makes me feel like just looking over someone's shoulder rather than engaging me directly.

It's hard to know how other people behave but I think this way is quite common. Half-watching/listening to someone while playing FM yourself is quite common in the same way that listening to music while playing is common I'm sure. If something happens that is of particular interest to you, then you might temporarily stop playing and watch a particular bit, and then go back to playing/half listening/half watching again.  I know it's certainly how I behave. 

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Thanks very much for pinning. :thup:

I used to watch Teach playing FM, but he has been swayed by the dark side that is driving cars round and round in circles. 

Quill 18 is brilliant for non-FM content. :applause:

Quill does do FM, but because he's doing so many games at once he never really gets a full career going. A bit like his flight sim stuff, already over with the new Crusader Kings out.

3 minutes ago, BadManager said:

Quill does do FM, but because he's doing so many games at once he never really gets a full career going. A bit like his flight sim stuff, already over with the new Crusader Kings out.

Yep. I've seen it, but it's not great in comparison to some of his non-FM stuff, or in comparison to others doing FM. 

It's not his forte, (in my opinion). 

3 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Yep. I've seen it, but it's not great in comparison to some of his non-FM stuff, or in comparison to others doing FM. 

Yeah, true enough. He doesn't do it as well as Civ, or the Paradox suite of grand strategy, which are the  mainstay of his channel. Not that I can get into some of those.

I would like to see him do a longer career, knowing its a short term thing every year going in takes away a lot IMO. When he brings in kids, you know they won't develop before the save fades away. And, of course, like me, Association Football is not his main sport.

17 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

It was still interesting to see him do, especially at the start when he didn't have much clue about the sport in general, let alone the game. It helps that he has a connection with Ayr (his usual team) and get genuinely enthusiastic about it. i could barely believe it when he posted his first stream as it was one of the last things I expected to see from him.

41 minutes ago, deltablue said:

It was still interesting to see him do, especially at the start when he didn't have much clue about the sport in general, let alone the game. It helps that he has a connection with Ayr (his usual team) and get genuinely enthusiastic about it. i could barely believe it when he posted his first stream as it was one of the last things I expected to see from him.

I think it was interesting because it showed us just how hard it is for someone, (even someone quite adept at playing strategy games), to pick of FM as a new player. Most of us have the benefit of playing FM from a much earlier version, and the development of the game has been staged over many years and many issues. If I was a newcomer to FM I'm pretty sure I would find it too daunting. 

I struggled to get into CK2 for example, but with Quill18's help absolutely love CK3. 

23 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Thanks for the votes and the feedback. Keep it coming please. :thup:

Yes it is something I'm considering. 

I'm not sure that I have the personality to be an "entertaining YouTuber", (because I think that's what most are in the main). I'm not really looking to "entertain", (that's not the right word), but I also wouldn't say that "educate" is right either. I'm not really sure how I would describe what I'm thinking of. I suppose the answer is that I'm trying to do something that mirrors the style of my thread, (whatever that is). I'd like to think that my thread contains some humor, but that doesn't mean I'm aiming to be funny or entertaining. It's just me writing what's in my head at that time. 

@PaulHartman71is right about the Goal-scoring GK stuff being particularly niche and I see the likes of Lollujo gaining plaudits off the back of that at the moment, (which is great), and I think I've been doing it, (with the likes of @leonavich and the YouTube sensation that is @NepentheZ) for about 10 years now. Having said that Lollujo is actually very good at entertaining and I think his style for example is that he is naturally quite a fun and engaging personality. He's a Teacher by trade and I think it comes across what  a good communicator he is. The idea of me streaming for hours on end and expecting someone to watch it sounds as dull as dishwater, even to me. :lol: For those of you who don't know by the way, @NepentheZused to be a regular contributor in the Challenge forum and was always a regular in the @dafugeand @Gundothreads. He converted to FIFA and the rest as they say is history. 

It's often quite hard to be self-critical but I would say that my threads are a little different to many. I try to keep to a standard update template, with additional areas of focus, but then I completely go off on a tangent and really focus on very small aspects of the game. I would say it's these "niche" aspects/areas that probably define my style. It might be Youth Only or Goal-scoring keeper, or poached players, ill-discipline, sell-on clauses or any  number of things, but I really try to focus on the small and unusual things. Anything that I would create would be an extension of this rather than a new style. 

The other thing I would say is that many of you know that I use the "IR" button, and I haven't seen a single FM video on YouTube, (or anyone live streaming on Twitch), doing so. There is probably a very good reason for that in that who wants to watch someone else play without seeing the games? I suppose the answer is someone who is looking to follow a proper #YouthOnly save deep into the future, without the creator deciding after a few tough seasons that they are going to relax the rules and get some loans in and then sign them  because they are "almost" products of the Academy. I'm not keen at all on doing that.

It's hard to describe what I'm thinking of, but the best way I can think of is a video based version of my threads. I would be focussing on the same/similar things and playing in the same way. I'm also thinking that any video's I produce will be in addition to my thread  and that the 2 will compliment eachother. I often use GIFs for GK goals, but I would love to be able to show more highlights for example.

This is far from a done deal by the way. Really just having a think and wondering what the response might be so thanks if you have voted or responded. :thup:

I think one way you could branch out initially could possibly be "how to" or "a guide to" type videos where you could share your knowledge on various topics. 

Whilst entertaining in terms of personality/banter may not be your go to style, I think where you could be different and appealing to many on there is your extensive knowledge on various things like player personalities, youth development, player mentoring, even breaking down "how to" or best practice type tips to particular save types based in the countries you've managed extensively in. 

Oh and of course a complete guide to goalkeeper scoring :D 

FM is notoriously hard to make Youtube content out of. I've considered doing it myself, and haven't completely ruled it out just yet, but it's just not a very watchable game.

Here on the forums it's even harder to make sense out of Youtube threads. If you're gonna go to all the trouble of doing a video (which to be any good takes LOADS of times to edit, literally hours probably), you're probably not gonna go all that trouble AND then write something more about it on the forum. So the end result is you get threads that are just links to videos. But why would you follow such a thread, and not go to Youtube directly instead? It ends up not really making much sense and ends up being more of an advert for said person's youtube channel than any actual interaction with the forum.

If some people like it, that's perfectly fine and it doesn't bother me, I'm just not personally interested in Youtube career threads.

Edited by noikeee

I don't want to sound elitist here, but I think having lots of video content mixed in with the written content would take away from the written. 

I think a place for people to advertise their budding YouTube careers would be a good thing, but in a separate sub forum. 

You might just end up with people who want written content having to sort through threads to find what they want.

Im not against watching FM YT videos but I can't find enough time in the day to keep up with Loki Doki's content on top of trying to keep up with Quill18.

Written career updates, on the other hand, are something I can come to the forum and read on the bus to and from work. When it comes to videos I either might not have the time to watch them on my journey, the screen is too small for FM or I just don't have the data allowance/Wi-Fi required. 

Maybe it is worth having a word with SI and getting a video career updates subforum if enough people want to promote their hard work. I am sure there would be an audience. 

I went down the middle in the poll. I'm not against video content. If I had the time I might watch it. 

We also maybe don't want this subforum to get bloated with extra video careers and written content buried. 

I really hope people don't think I am being written word-elitist. There is no reason why video careers can't be as good. They take effort as well. I just think of this subforum as for written careers. 

@Jimbokav1971 I tried using video as part of my save/thread (probably 3 months ago now that I started it, been filming for a while longer) and I don't think it gained all that much traction. Having said that, this is probably a poor time of year to be starting FM content as the game isn't new and fresh in people's minds (and YouTube searches). I couldn't figure out how to embed the content, but I think that's because I was putting a hyperlink in the title, instead of just putting the link in the thread (at least I think that was the problem).

The other thing that I found was, because I was only doing weekly videos for FM (and playing a bunch of other content in between), it was moving too slow to update on here regularly enough. So I ended up filming up until the end of the fourth season (which will get me to the release of FM21), and then I just started playing ahead - I'm now almost at the end of my 9th season in the save, and the thread is still going relatively strong.

Now don't get me wrong, these videos are some of the first that I made for YouTube, so a lot of them I was still working out settings, and trying my hardest not to be awkward and trash (probably wasn't succeeding), so it could just be that my content was bad as well? Who knows. It's hard to get feedback as a "nobody" online. :lol:

I have watched DoctorBenjy, Second Yellow Card, WorkTheSpace, Lollujo & a few others but find it hard to keep up with all.

Currently trying to catch/keep up with Second Yellow Card's created club save as that really interests me.

It's just hard to keep up with written updates or a YouTube series anyway, well depending how many interest you.

As for a youtube update on here, I guess if it is just a link to video on here then it doesn't really need a thread, maybe just one general thread that could be used by all just to post a link to latest video, or link just posted in the new mini update thread.

If the updater was to do both written and video it could be interesting though, depends how they do it.

One thing I like about watching someone playing is their reactions, get a good laugh when some silly things happen, helps to see others have the same frustrating things as me.

Edited by Maw74

• 3 weeks later...

I voted no as I do watch FM content on YouTube but it tends to be not related to careers but rather guides, how to videos and such like.

As a rule of thumb if I go into a thread on here and discover it's a video thread I back out without even bothering to read about what it is about. If I did know what it was about and it intrigued me and then I discovered it was a video thread I'd still back out without watching.

In saying that though, I enjoy your threads and I've learnt many things from them so if it was your videos then I would give them a look to see what they were like.

2 hours ago, metallimuse said:

I voted no as I do watch FM content on YouTube but it tends to be not related to careers but rather guides, how to videos and such like.

As a rule of thumb if I go into a thread on here and discover it's a video thread I back out without even bothering to read about what it is about. If I did know what it was about and it intrigued me and then I discovered it was a video thread I'd still back out without watching.

In saying that though, I enjoy your threads and I've learnt many things from them so if it was your videos then I would give them a look to see what they were like.

Thanks @metallimuse

It's still just an idea at the moment. 

I think that's sort of what I'm aiming for. You have to remember that I use an IR button so because I don't actually play the games, I'm going to have to find some other content to go in the video's other than the matches, (because there won't be any matches). Of course I could show highlights, but that's just going to be goals and will make for a very short video. 

I think I'm right in saying that while there isn't a minimum length of video, but also that for them to be effective they need to be at least 20 minutes long. When a lot of FM YouTube videos contain little else except the matches, it's obviously not going to be easy to get to 20 mins without the matches. That obviously means that I'm going to have to find different content to the norm to do this. As mentioned before, this is likely to be me gabbering on about the similar sort of inane rubbish that I prattle on about in my thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started making content on Youtube, but I don't think having it on here is a good idea for the reasons mentioned before. I like this as a place to come to read a long form approach with more detail. There's SO much on Youtube already that if creators started posting it here and getting viewers from it, it would honestly get flooded pretty quickly.

On 07/10/2020 at 02:40, Jimbokav1971 said:

Thanks @metallimuse

It's still just an idea at the moment. 

I think that's sort of what I'm aiming for. You have to remember that I use an IR button so because I don't actually play the games, I'm going to have to find some other content to go in the video's other than the matches, (because there won't be any matches). Of course I could show highlights, but that's just going to be goals and will make for a very short video. 

I think I'm right in saying that while there isn't a minimum length of video, but also that for them to be effective they need to be at least 20 minutes long. When a lot of FM YouTube videos contain little else except the matches, it's obviously not going to be easy to get to 20 mins without the matches. That obviously means that I'm going to have to find different content to the norm to do this. As mentioned before, this is likely to be me gabbering on about the similar sort of inane rubbish that I prattle on about in my thread. 

After looking through your Irchester thread I had similar thoughts to you about a series and ended up having a go. I did a pretty experimental series with Roda and the challenge was definitely what not to include. I wanted the episodes to fly by so you get into the future quicky... but then if you have an unexpected Cup Semi-Final it seems like shame not to show it...

I have to say, it's my favourite series so far. I feel like it was something different and like you said I haven't seen anything similar yet. It has the least views but the most engagement by watchers so I think there's a niche of people out there that are looking for it. I'm definitely going to do another for FM21.

Personally, I would love to see a video form of the written stuff that you do! A lot of Youtube series feel pretty same-y to me so anybody taking a fresh approach is always good to see.

• 3 weeks later...

I started adding videos of goals scored in my games in my save last year. And it's something I intend to continue in FM21. I don't talk over the videos or anything. I use them as a way of showing how my players are responding to tactical choices / shouts I give them both before and during the game. Which I then write about in the thread. 

In the end you need to do what you want to do with your content. Display it / deliver it in the manner and medium that makes you the happiest.  If nobody else reads or watches it or show interest in it, then you at least did what you wanted to do.

Worst case is you change how you deliver your content, and how you spend your time, in order to appeal to more people, rather than satisfying yourself first. Though I am sure with the quality of your threads the two are not mutually exclusive. 

For someone who has lurked the forums since they began existing under various lost accounts, finding out Nep was active 10 years ago makes me feel old.

I remember him doing a Asian challenge that was a really good read waaaay back when. I was so surprised to find out it was the same guy doing the FIFA stuff.

I think I'd like to see it. I watch some FM YouTubers, but a bit up and down based on how much I enjoy the content. Loki Doki is the one I watch the most, I am a bit fuzzy about it though, so not everything is for me.

I do like how you write @Jimbokav1971 (also the reason I follow you on Twitter :D), so I'd give it a shot, at the very least.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening. I've not been around this place for a while (must be nine months since I've been into a save) so I've just seen this, but FM video content isn't for me. I'd be quite happy simply to pass on by any video threads, but I do think it might detract from the quality of this place if it suddenly gets filled up with video threads.