How to improve this tactic in both ends

Hey!

I've been climbing quickly with Port Vale (unrealistically so of course) but now we are getting stuck in the Championship and I mainly feel it's because we are awful at finishing whilst we at the same time let almost all CCCs against us.

We are leaders in Shots on target ratio at 63% but we are stuck in 21st place on conversion rate.

We have in the last 50 domestic league games created 41 CCCs but only scored 26 while on the other end teams have created 28 against us and scored 21.

Goalkeeper might be an issue here.

Tactical-wise, how can I improve?

image.thumb.png.54cea39467a0325c01220f8d558ce192.png

Edited by Karnack

Fair warning i'm not a tactical genius by any means, in fact i'm rather new to the game. Heres some stuff that I can say lookin at your tactic.

- Feels like lone striker as an AF could get isolated especially since theres no other player that will run into the box. I would change striker role to something like PF / DLF / F9.

- Feels like DLP + RPM is a bit overkill, unless you specifically want that for your team to impose a style of play. I would change DLP to a simple DM OR keep the DLP and change the RPM to something more conservative since he is on ur more offensive wingback side.

Those are the 2 obvious things that comes to my mind but also some minor things depending on the opponent like increasing team mentality and/or switching up duties (changing CM to attack vs weaker sides for example) could also be considered.

23 minutes ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

Fair warning i'm not a tactical genius by any means, in fact i'm rather new to the game. Heres some stuff that I can say lookin at your tactic.

- Feels like lone striker as an AF could get isolated especially since theres no other player that will run into the box. I would change striker role to something like PF / DLF / F9.

- Feels like DLP + RPM is a bit overkill, unless you specifically want that for your team to impose a style of play. I would change DLP to a simple DM OR keep the DLP and change the RPM to something more conservative since he is on ur more offensive wingback side.

Those are the 2 obvious things that comes to my mind but also some minor things depending on the opponent like increasing team mentality and/or switching up duties (changing CM to attack vs weaker sides for example) could also be considered.

Will try some other role for my striker! 

Actually not sure why I have a DLP in the DM-strata. Think it's just something I've overlooked. He is going back to DM.

Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, Karnack said:

image.thumb.png.54cea39467a0325c01220f8d558ce192.png

1 hour ago, Karnack said:

Tactical-wise, how can I improve?

The first problem is your vertical compactness. With a combo of standard D-line and higher LOE, it is lower than optimal. Which in turn makes your increased pressing urgency (more urgent) even riskier than it would have been if you had better compactness. 

In terms of roles and duties, I see 2 major issues:

- lack of central penetration (which can lead to isolation of the lone AF)

- 2 playmakers in close vicinity (DLP and RPM) usually mean a tactical overkill

Otherwise, roles and duties don't look too bad and the setup could be significantly improved by just a couple of tweaks.

In terms of team instructions, I am note sure that your current setup of roles and duties optimally suits a short-passing game. 

Counter-press is a risky instruction by default if your players are not capable enough - and even more so with the already mentioned low level of compactness that you currently have. 

Basically, these are key weaknesses of your tactic which you need to address first. 

I think some of what you say will be down to player quality, GK and/or defenders leaving attackers wide open for a tap in.  50% CCC rate isn't bad, not every forward in a 1v1 will beat the keeper.

Looking at some of the points in the Recent Match Analysis:

• Poor Final Third Entries - Left Wing:  I think having DLP + RPM in midfield will make it very deep, AF plays on shoulder of defence, W-At stays wide on right so the IW-Su doesn't have many options, especially when wanting Shorter Passing.  It doesn't really fit together well. Instructions look like possession system especially with 2 playmakers, but then got a AF-At + W-At trying to attack direct and quickly.
  • Poor Goals Conceded Location - Penalty Area Center:  This kind of backs up why there CCC conversion rate is so high.  The cause I would guess is More Urgent Pressing and Higher Line Of Engagement plus Counter-Press.  This is likely pulling your players out of position and resulting in easy tap ins from the middle of the goal.

Those are the two main things i'd look at first.

One thing I noticed is that not all CCCs are equally valuable. In my case, I always have a lower ratio of goals to chances (this is different than the conversion rate of chances, though correlated). I believe that it is because we spend a lot of time working the ball into the box, which leads to a more crowded box and a lot of the shots end up being blocked. We end up with a lot of chances, but a lower conversion rate. The CCCs of other teams could be more comprised of wide open counter-attacks. At least that's what I think is happening. In your case, the shorter passing could be affecting the composition of CCCs.

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm starting work on my compactness immediately, trying to start with by moving up my D-line and removing the counter-press. I've also removed the RPM/DLP-combo for a AP/DM-combo.

Good insights and hopefully I will be translate it into a better tactic