What is the oddest managerial appointment you've seen?

On one game Steve Bruce was appointed Manchester United manager in 2022 after Qualifying for the Europa League twice in a row managing Newcastle in 2020 and 2021. He ended up being sacked in March with Manchester United ending up that season outside the top 4 and trophyless. He retired not long afterwards. Whats the oddest managerial appointment you've witnessed in your FM20 game?

IRL it would be odd. However, in FM20, Steve Bruce, as a former Man United player and current Premier League manager with top 7 finishes under his belt (the UEFA Cup qualifications) - it wouldn't be that unrealistic if he got the job. After all they did give the job to Solskjaer after stints at Molde and Cardiff. I suppose it depends on how successful United have been in your save. They've been very average in mine and the reputation of managers they've employed have dropped quite a bit over the years.

I find managerial appointments a bit unrealistic in FM20. I'm seeing too many managers going back for second stints at clubs.

The oddest manager appointments in my current has to be Neil Lennon to Juventus. He lasted about 7 months and was sacked after finishing 5th. Spent a fortune bringing an ageing Bobby Firmino and James Maddison in. After his sacking he stayed in Italy and is now doing quite well at Cremonese.

FM19 but still relevant :D

Dyche.png

Also it's 2028 and just after the Euros, England manager Graham Potter (who landed the job after winning the championship with Reading) was sacked and replaced by Vitor Perreira. Perreira finished 6th with Newcastle last season and has won a few trophies in Turkey, but his CV is nothing to write home about. Whilst this doesn't necessarily exclude him for being England manager there's also the fact of him being Portugese...

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher

I've posted it before, but this is the weirdest one I've ever seen. 

2047426613_WTFFM.thumb.png.09a13bf3b092fce8ab9edd87b24983e7.png

Other than that, I've seen Sean Dyche become England manager quite often, Alegri/Manchini to Barca and Wenger to Valencia in FM 18 come to mind.  

3 hours ago, Prokopije said:

that happened in my save as well, although he lasted less than a year.

Happened in my game too, but not that unlikely is it? There aren't that many English managers in top divisions, so who's a better English manager than Dychey? Barca on the other hand... 

The oddest appointment I've seen was, after City came 4th in the first season of FM20, Pep was sacked and replaced by... Michael O'Neill, former manager of the Northern Ireland national team.

He lasted about 3 years, which is impressive since I don't think they won the Premier League during that entire time.

57 minutos atrás, metallimuse disse:

In my Motherwell save I did on there was quite a few former players turned up managing Scottish lower league teams, Paul Pogba was managing Alloa or someone similar for a while.

Seems there's a problem with retired players' reputation, I've seen screenshots of both Dani Alves and Messi managing random unknown Brazilian clubs

I've got two of the above so far:

• Lampard got the sack and became my u18 Manager for 3 seasons
  • Sean Dyche becomes England manager, where they are the holders of the 2022 Word Cup and 2024 Euros and then returns to club football at BVB
  • IIRC I will check later, but Mancity and Arsenal have both made some dodgy managerial decisions

19 hours ago, shimera said:

Seems there's a problem with retired players' reputation, I've seen screenshots of both Dani Alves and Messi managing random unknown Brazilian clubs

Cristiano Ronaldo was managing some team called Nuorese in either Serie D or the level below in my game.

In general , retired players rarely get top management jobs.  They usually start managing either the B teams or some under 21 team before joining the senior squad. Like Zidane or Pirlo.  For Example Raul is the Head Coach of Real Madrid Castilla.

I think this could be better reflected in FM 21, top players getting B team jobs then promoted at the senior squad.

To be fair that's actually happened a bit in my FM20 save. Pogba was the Juve U23s coach for quite a while before going into a few jobs at weaker Serie A teams.

Just had a quick check and Thilo Kehrer and Frenkie de Jong both managed League One Middlesbrough while Bruno Fernandes was quite successful at Southport.

On 15/09/2020 at 10:01, bigmattb28 said:

Brendan Rodgers is Inter Milan manager on my current save, and Rafa Benitez is Russia manager

Rodgers would consistently replace Bosz/Stöger/Favre at Dortmund in my FM18/19 saves.

I've seen Wenger sacked to be replaced by David Moyes as well, and in another save Valérien Ismaël worked his way up to Bayern and the French NT, and Christian Neidhart from Meppen got Hamburg into the CL.

12 hours ago, autohoratio said:

Rodgers would consistently replace Bosz/Stöger/Favre at Dortmund in my FM18/19 saves.

I've seen Wenger sacked to be replaced by David Moyes as well, and in another save Valérien Ismaël worked his way up to Bayern and the French NT, and Christian Neidhart from Meppen got Hamburg into the CL.

It's mad, I see Rodgers go to all sorts of places, seen him end up at Atletico Madrid, Sporting Lisbon and even Hearts if I remember rightly.

Not FM2020 but FM2019 nor is it managerial but on one of my saves a certain Leo Messi is a coach at Wolves after having previously been Asst Manager at Newcastle and a coach at Crystal Palace whilst Christiano Ronaldo had been manager of both Forest Green Rovers and Bristol Rovers (he was sacked from both jobs and is currently unemployed)

On 13/09/2020 at 22:39, Lempicka said:

The oddest manager appointments in my current has to be Neil Lennon to Juventus.

It's funny you mention this as I've also had Lennon go to Juve in 2022. He didn't have too much luck there (only winning the Suppercopa), but in 2024 he went to Benfica and he's sweeping the trophies there (and is still there to date - I'm half way through the 26/27 season).
I've also had Lennon go to PSG in the second season on previous saves. It seems the Celtic success somewhat skews the AI's judgement.

Messi is currently managing Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga. I've got Frank Lampard managing Celtic and Stuart Kettlewell is Chelsea manager, they've been through many managers but they seem to like him as he's been there for a while compared to others. The only other 'weird' ones I can think of are Tuchel managing Burnley and Eddie Howe managing Lyon after his stint as England manager (often Howe or Dyche end up as England manager on my saves if Southgate gets sacked or resigns)

I hired James Beattie as a coach - he gets the Colchester job (one of my affiliates) and gets them promoted to Championship - and then gets the Notts Forest job and sees them promoted to the Prem.

My u18 manager Lampard then replaces Beattie at Colchester.

I am now thinking of hiring the unemployed Gerrard as my u18 and see if I can keep that Colchester pipeline going :-)

John Herdman, the current coach of the Canada team , became Manchester City manager in one of my saves where he won the FA Cup, League Cup, and Europa League.  Sacked after finishing 5th he went to Bournemouth briefly then to Spurs.  

Admittedly he somehow got Canada to be the runners up (!) in the 2022 World Cup.