Make an Athletic Bilbao-type team with hard-coded domestic transfer restrictions

themodelcitizen

Reviving Bermuda Hogges and changing their nationalities, name, history etc can allow you to effectively create a new club, insert it in a country of your choosing, and have a team like Chivas in Mexico that can only sign domestic players.

Swap them with a Prem team and you can have an English-only team, for example.

The transfer restriction is hard-coded, like Athletic Bilbao - although I can't find a way to do it with another nationality like that (i.e. Basques in Spain, instead of, say, English players in England). Another country as "based" nation doesn't work, but doing this with the extinct Bilbao 'C' and changing their local region to a second nationality might.

I thought I'd throw it out to the editoratti and see if anyone can make more progress.

Spoiler

roon.thumb.jpg.30bf8485a77e5cfa78f9b455403fc891.jpgschwein.thumb.jpg.c916f2c9c4fc9087442ca7b6094a7141.jpg

Edited by themodelcitizen

• themodelcitizen changed the title to Make an Athletic Bilbao-type team with hard-coded domestic transfer restrictions

If the settings were OK before the team was taken out of competition it is likely it would work. Essentially the same thing as if you revive the Bermuda Hoggies, except that the game works better for the Bilbao team as the team would be put in Spainish competition and most players with Basque background are Basque obviously.

I always wondered and even propossed it in the past, to have the option in the DB to setup a team to only allow players form a nationality, insted of having it only hardcoded for Bilbao.

It is probably an easy change in the editor for SI, to add that checkbox and the country list, but for some reason they don't do it.

Edited by Icy

On 05/12/2020 at 04:35, Wolf_pd said:

If the settings were OK before the team was taken out of competition it is likely it would work. Essentially the same thing as if you revive the Bermuda Hoggies, except that the game works better for the Bilbao team as the team would be put in Spainish competition and most players with Basque background are Basque obviously.

I've tried playing with nations and can't get, like, a Basque-only team recreated, unless it was in a new Basque nation.

We can, though, make a Premier League team restricted to English-only with this

6 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

I've tried playing with nations and can't get, like, a Basque-only team recreated, unless it was in a new Basque nation.

We can, though, make a Premier League team restricted to English-only with this

So this would basically mean, I could drop a team in, for example, the Conference South in England and they could only sign English players? Is there an idiots guide for this anywhere?

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So this would basically mean, I could drop a team in, for example, the Conference South in England and they could only sign English players? Is there an idiots guide for this anywhere?

You just need to find the team "Bermuda Hogges" in the editor (they are a defunct Bermudan team) and re-activate them and move them to the country of your choice. Bermuda Hogges is hardcoded to only allow players from its own country, so whichever country you move them to, that will be their restriction.

49 minutes ago, BedeviledEgg said:

You just need to find the team "Bermuda Hogges" in the editor (they are a defunct Bermudan team) and re-activate them and move them to the country of your choice. Bermuda Hogges is hardcoded to only allow players from its own country, so whichever country you move them to, that will be their restriction.

And the name can be changed? 

4 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

And the name can be changed? 

Yeah you can change everything about the club but the hardcoded restriction to only sign domestic players should remain.

I think it could be interesting to put them in Wales and have them play in the English league system like Swansea or Cardiff. Maybe give Wales a youth rating tweak to help. I just wonder if the scouts will respect this when it comes to finding players? It'd be frustrating if they keep bringing you Brazilian wonderkids you can't ever sign.

29 minutes ago, BedeviledEgg said:

Yeah you can change everything about the club but the hardcoded restriction to only sign domestic players should remain.

I think it could be interesting to put them in Wales and have them play in the English league system like Swansea or Cardiff. Maybe give Wales a youth rating tweak to help. I just wonder if the scouts will respect this when it comes to finding players? It'd be frustrating if they keep bringing you Brazilian wonderkids you can't ever sign.

Easy way around Brexit then. 

On 05/12/2020 at 04:20, themodelcitizen said:

Bumping this, having had someone on reddit check, it seems to work on FM21

Bilbao C is another extinct club we could play with - including the city/region nationality?

I’m the redditor who checked this - if you wish to see my own testing and the current known limits of what is possible with this, check out this post on the FM subreddit

Edited by jamescd22

I thinking about something similar for e.g. Silesian people in Poland League (maybe Ruch Chorzow or another).

I don't have FM21 yet, so maybe somebody try change Athletic Bilbao to team you need (in my plan is Ruch Chorzow) later change nationality to Poland and change Basque to Silesians. Maybe the game start to generate players with double nationality (Polish and Silesian). The problem is that this way you lose Athletic Bilbao and also you have to change lots of Basque players second nationality.

That's why Bilbao C might have promise for testing (I believe they're extinct)

As for Bermuda Hogges, you can change everything.

The main thing is the nation/based nation I think (have to be the same). Make sure to test and change everything from the city to the stadium, training importance etc., you're basically building a club from scratch so check the values on similarly-ranked clubs in the world if you're confused.

Looking at this more closely, if you have "nation" and "based nation" as two different ones it would only let you sign dual nationals - which opens the door for creating a dormant nationality like Corsican, Catalan, Cornish etc like people here have done in the past. Everyone from that region would be a dual national (England and Cornwall, for example) and you could rebuild the Hogges to only allow signings from that region.

20 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Looking at this more closely, if you have "nation" and "based nation" as two different ones it would only let you sign dual nationals - which opens the door for creating a dormant nationality like Corsican, Catalan, Cornish etc like people here have done in the past. Everyone from that region would be a dual national (England and Cornwall, for example) and you could rebuild the Hogges to only allow signings from that region.

If you would set Based Nation as Pays Basque (in a sense as the cities are placed in nation Spain and Local Region Nation Pays Basque) would that work?

@jamescd22 nice bit of research :thup:

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

If you would set Based Nation as Pays Basque (in a sense as the cities are placed in nation Spain and Local Region Nation Pays Basque) would that work?

@jamescd22 nice bit of research :thup:

Give it a shot. And the default setup if you just restored the Hogges to the US structure doesn't actually work, even though it did in FM13 - unless you found Bermudan-American dual nationalities.

So cities like Bilbao are in a "local region" thats in the Pays Basque nation? Sounds like what we need to recreate to have a Cornish-only, Corsican-only, or Catalan-only etc team

Yes, it is a bit of odd one

City Bilbao is in Local Region Pais Vasco

City Bilbao is in Nation Spain

Local Region Pais Vasco is in Nation Pays Basque

The trouble is that Pais Vasco and Pays Basque are part of the default game and a new country and local region won't give the same result.
Catalunya could be done if the local region is linked to Andorra, but Barcelona is kept in Spain. But the new local region could give trouble.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for bumping this but I started a new save with the Bermuda Hogges challenge and moved them to Scotland

I'm using the same database mods I've used in plenty of other saves with no problems but for some reason with this team, it seems to take ages to advance days, I only have Scotland loaded and about 41k players so it should be flying through the day's anyone else had any trouble with this team ?

Is that challenge downloaded from somewhere? I don't think that just changing some of Bermuda Hogges' values and inserting them in another country would affect that, but if you did lots of alterations to the Scottish structure to accommodate them then that might explain it

• 4 weeks later...

I revived  and rebranded the club, but somehow the Bermuda Hogges name still pops up when the Long Name string is used, but not  all the time.

E.g. In the club selection screen, and in the "Presentation Picture" it's still Bermuda Hogges, while in the Reserve/U19 team screen it uses the new  club's long name string.

Any idea why?

7 ore fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

You have the name fix files?

Yes, but I checked and Bermuda Hogges isn't one of the clubs in the fixed files (not in the txt ones I opened).

I solved it with by adding a string to the name fix... However, there's  a much more pressing issue now!

The new club is based on the Faroe Islands but I added it to the Danish league system. And apparently the  game recognizes it as a Faroese club (created players have Faroese names and nationality, Grey Players have Danish names but dual nationality).

The thing is, while the Club Vision states  "can only sign Faroese players", if  I try to offer a contract to ANY Faroese player, I get  an error message  "you can only sign Faroese players". As if it wasn't recognizing those players as such!

Is it because  due to the club's dual location, now the game expects those players to  be Faroese BUT based in Denmark?!

Oh crap!

There goes my great idea for a final save.

The only workaround would be giving dual citizenship to the everyone from the original nation?