Team instructions doubts

Hi, is it advisable to change mentality when playing against teams that look stronger than yours? For example, in tough games, can I change to defensive for example, Or I should stay with the same balanced or positive that I use to play, because we are better trained.

Edited by guilhermevalette

You need to know a couple of things when it comes to mentality:

- The mentality alone does not define your style of play

- Neither a higher mentality automatically makes you more dangerous in attack, nor a lower mentality makes you defensively solid

- The mentality automatically affects all other instructions, so when you change the mentality - you have automatically changed everything

For more advice, it would be welcome if you post a screenshot of your tactic. 

2 hours ago, guilhermevalette said:

So, I have to combine mentality with team instructions or not necessarily?

How do you mean "to combine mentality with team instructions"? You always combine the mentality with (other) instructions, even if you leave all instructions unselected (default). 

Basically, the key to a good tactic is how you set up roles and duties. If you get them right, everything else is far easier (and sometimes you may not need to use even a single instruction). 

But the short answer to your initial question is - no, a simple change of mentality will not automatically help when you play against tough opposition, because that's not what makes you (more) solid defensively. 

Is it appropriate to adjust mentality and team instructions depending on the opposition that you face? Or it is more adequate to stick with one set of instructions and one mentality always. My question is. I use to think that if I change some instructions before a specific game, it will not work because the game engine need time to train this instructions.

4 hours ago, guilhermevalette said:

For example, if I play.

"mentality" attacking. 

"Tempo" very low.

"Passing" very short.

There is a contradiction in it, isn't it?

No, this particular example is not (necessarily) a contradiction. To the contrary, by lowering the tempo and passing directness you are actually trying to sort of mitigate a "gung-ho" effect of the attacking mentality, which can be helpful.

But of course, the rest of the tactic matters as well. All its elements need to be balanced and logical and to clearly reflect a coherent style of play (whichever one that is).  

17 minutes ago, guilhermevalette said:

I'm having lots of trouble with tatics lol, is it really possible not to mark any team instructions and be successful? 

Absolutely. I personally almost never use more than 3-5 team instructions overall (and sometimes even none at all).

36 minutes ago, guilhermevalette said:

I'm having lots of trouble with tatics lol, is it really possible not to mark any team instructions and be successful? 

Yes. Think of it this way - TIs (and PIs) tweak what is already there. If it's not necessary to tweak, don't tweak.  :thup:

Some people have tactics with 0 TIs. Others have 12. Right now, my two tactics have 9 TIs each and it took a while (like a season) to build to where I am now.

7 minutes ago, guilhermevalette said:

Is it good to train more than one tatic? Like one to play more offensive and other to play home? Or it is not necessary?

It is definitely not necessary. But if you do use more than 1 tactic, then the difference between them should be very little (basically just nuances).

2 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

It is definitely not necessary. But if you do use more than 1 tactic, then the difference between them should be very little (basically just nuances).

I differ here. In my case, I use a different tactic for a different situation. A situation where my 'normal' tactic isn't good enough or something else is 'needed' instead. So I'd have my 'normal' tactic, but maybe second to shut up shop. Or, like my current save, I have my 'normal', quite aggressive tactic, but a different one against equal strength teams. Or I'll have a 'normal' one, but one to cover for the formation/approach I'm weak against.

So to sum up, I normally have 2 different tactics trained, but almost always one main approach/tactic. Others do things differently, which is fine.

14 hours ago, guilhermevalette said:

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.01 - 22.39.09.68.png

The key problem in this tactic is inconsistency between instructions and the setup of roles and duties. Because the in-possession and in-transition TIs suggest you want to play hardcore possession football, but roles and duties (as well as out-of-possession TIs) do not really match such a style).

There is also a sort of tactical misbalance in terms of roles and duties, but that can be easily solved by your CMs simply swapping the sides (BWMde on the left and BBM on the right). 

However, I cannot see what on earth is the reasoning behind the "Waste time" instruction ??? 

This is a good question, how to play against a stronger team, and I think there is no absolutely right answers. For me, I think it is hard to defend 90 minutes even if you make all your focus on defending, for example with 9 or more players (except for goalkeeper) back protecting your penalty area, playing with defensive mentality and low tempo. So for me, I prefer to try to keep making some threats to the opposite in such situation. But being aggresive in attacking does not mean you have to change into attacking mentality. In my opinion, 'effective' mentality does not equal to the "mentality" on tactical panel, but more the average mentality of all your players. So a 'balanced' mentality with 4 attacking duties maybe more aggressive when with possession than a positive mentality tactic with only 2 attacking duties.

The reason why it is more simple to adjust player duties is that if team mentality on the tactical panel changed, a lot of related team instructions may change. You may be more risky in defending which make you vulnerable when playing against strong teams.

For me, all football philosophy is about balance. If you being too radical in a match, you very possible to loss especially against a stronger team. But if you being too cautious, you still very possible to loss the game. So you have to find the best balance in-between, which will give you the best wining probability. (Does not mean you can win for sure, just most possible)

To reach the best balance, many ways may be tried, including the adjustment of team mentality, and adjusting the player duties combination, or other TIs and even OIs. 

Edited by Dr.Y