Adopting Arteta’s new Arsenal

Hi all, have been lurking around here for the longest time and thought maybe I could ask for inputs on a particular style I’d like to achieve. A style of a manager perfectly fit for the values of my beloved club, the Arsenal.

Now, I know Arteta hasn’t been with the club long enough and has probably settled more with a back 3 than a 4 but having watch all the matches, and from what I can gather from my very limited tactical nuance, I decided to adopt some of his principles and went with a 433 or a 41221.

SK (S) : Leno

IWB (S) : Bellerin

CD (D) : Onguene

BPD (D) : Mari

WB (S) : Tierney

DLP (D) : Tonali

MEZ (A) : Willock 

AP (S) : Guendouzi 

IW (S) : Pepe

IF (A) : Aubameyang 

F9 (S) : Lacazette

I have mentality on Control. Off the top of my head, since I’m not playing the game now, the TI’s are Short Passing/Narrow Width/Play Out of Defence/Low Crossing/Hit Early Crosses/Overlap Left and Right

In transition, the team will Counter Press and Counter. Out of possession, they’ll be on a Higher Defensive Line/Higher LOE/Offside Trap.

The front 3 with the Mez are on Split Block with Auba and Pepe Marking Tightly.

As you can tell by the the roles, the right side would be very dynamic in terms of movement between Pepe and Bellerin just like real life with Auba lurking at the other end with Laca dropping deep.

Currently, I’m having a tough time deciding on what role Guendouzi should play to make the best out of this system. I am 3/4 way through the season and we are sitting pretty behind Liverpool in 2nd and narrowly got through to the Europa Cup Final facing United. I’m trying to replicate the Saka/Auba/Xhaka axis where Saka goes aggressively high, Auba tucks in and Xhaka acts as a center back so that would mean I’d have to use the Carirrelo role for Guendouzi but it’s going to be a waste for a player with his talent.

Problems I’m facing is inconsistency with lower quality sides. I’m having trouble making the best out of my possession. Sometimes my players would dither too long and pass it all the way to the keeper again.

Sometimes, I feel like my players aren’t getting in the tackle properly. It’s as if we’re trying to make any team that play us look like peak Barcelona.

Next, balls over the top are a pain. I’m sure there’s no problem with pace at the back, Mari is no slouch too with 13/14 Pace and Acceleration. 

Lastly, how do I get my wide players to cut back instead of shooting when they get into the box. Too many times where they get into a good position and decides to shoot instead of squaring it for a clear player.

Would love to hear your thoughts, shed any clear weaknesses or loopholes in the system, thanks for reading!

Edited by markoconnell
Title change

16 horas atrás, markoconnell disse:

Hi all, have been lurking around here for the longest time and thought maybe I could ask for inputs on a particular style I’d like to achieve. A style of a manager perfectly fit for the values of my beloved club, the Arsenal.

Now, I know Arteta hasn’t been with the club long enough and has probably settled more with a back 3 than a 4 but having watch all the matches, and from what I can gather from my very limited tactical nuance, I decided to adopt some of his principles and went with a 433 or a 41221.

SK (S) : Leno

IWB (S) : Bellerin

CD (D) : Onguene

BPD (D) : Mari

WB (S) : Tierney

DLP (D) : Tonali

MEZ (A) : Willock 

AP (S) : Guendouzi 

IW (S) : Pepe

IF (A) : Aubameyang 

F9 (S) : Lacazette

I have mentality on Control. Off the top of my head, since I’m not playing the game now, the TI’s are Short Passing/Narrow Width/Play Out of Defence/Low Crossing/Hit Early Crosses/Overlap Left and Right

In transition, the team will Counter Press and Counter. Out of possession, they’ll be on a Higher Defensive Line/Higher LOE/Offside Trap.

The front 3 with the Mez are on Split Block with Auba and Pepe Marking Tightly.

As you can tell by the the roles, the right side would be very dynamic in terms of movement between Pepe and Bellerin just like real life with Auba lurking at the other end with Laca dropping deep.

Currently, I’m having a tough time deciding on what role Guendouzi should play to make the best out of this system. I am 3/4 way through the season and we are sitting pretty behind Liverpool in 2nd and narrowly got through to the Europa Cup Final facing United. I’m trying to replicate the Saka/Auba/Xhaka axis where Saka goes aggressively high, Auba tucks in and Xhaka acts as a center back so that would mean I’d have to use the Carirrelo role for Guendouzi but it’s going to be a waste for a player with his talent.

Problems I’m facing is inconsistency with lower quality sides. I’m having trouble making the best out of my possession. Sometimes my players would dither too long and pass it all the way to the keeper again.

Sometimes, I feel like my players aren’t getting in the tackle properly. It’s as if we’re trying to make any team that play us look like peak Barcelona.

Next, balls over the top are a pain. I’m sure there’s no problem with pace at the back, Mari is no slouch too with 13/14 Pace and Acceleration. 

Lastly, how do I get my wide players to cut back instead of shooting when they get into the box. Too many times where they get into a good position and decides to shoot instead of squaring it for a clear player.

Would love to hear your thoughts, shed any clear weaknesses or loopholes in the system, thanks for reading!

Low crosses influences players to do cutbacks.

In relation to the tactic, I would say you should aim for a 3-2-5 in the offensive phase if you really want to emulate it, I don't think DLP is the role. And I can't help you without knowing what happens, what you said is too vague. Plus, it's normal the ball over the top, and you're in a league that most often than not strikers and wingers are pacey, so or you cut the suply (wich you can't all the time) or you have really pacey centerbacks and a good sweeper.

Arteta is playing a 343. For me roles would be:

SK(s)

CB(D) -- BPD(D) -- CB(D)

WB(S) -------------------------------WB(A)

CM(S) -- DLP(D)

W(S) ---------- ST(A) -----------IF(A)

I then would have stay wider on Tierney. The midfield roles are tricky. Ceballos' role was a bit like a BWM but a bit more creative. Xhaka is DLP all day long, but if you don't want him a ball magnet CM(D) with PI's might work. Left side very attacking side which is why left CM should be defend. However AMN is very attacking that side and Auba is main goal threat so they should be attack, IMO.

Right side I've gone winger as while Pepe or Saka does come inside on their stronger foot, they do stay wider for longer, so PPM's should resolve that. Bellerin is an interesting player now he's back from injury. But I don't think he's a IWB.

One role I'm not sure on is ST. Nketiah is more of a poacher really, maybe an AF. If Laca is up top could do CF(A). Might struggle to get ST involved in this system.

In terms of team instructions I think:

Balanced

Low crosses

Narrow

Distribute to CB's + short kicks

Counter yes, Counter press I'm not too sure, Arsenal do press but not like that IMO.

Pressing intensity up 1

I would say standard lines, you want to create space in behind for Aubamyang to get into. Arsenal defend deep vs big teams as well, get only about 40% possession and then look to play balls over the top. High lines won't create this.

Just my opinion, might not work well in FM.

1 hour ago, Analog said:

Laca almost plays like a DLF, tbh.  He holds up the ball a fair bit, particularly for counters.  He also hassles the opposition a lot, so in FM20 terms that's probably a pressing forward role or using player instructions on some other role to make him close down.  Bellerin honestly plays more like a FB(S) than wingback these days, AMN would be fine as WB(S) though.  

Been thinking about this think could do it a few different ways in terms of shapes.

Screenshot 2020-08-30 at 15.19.47.png

Screenshot 2020-08-30 at 15.20.08.png

Screenshot 2020-08-30 at 15.20.58.png

Decided to actually try it out - what I started with:

M40ixxv.png

Mari as Tierney is injured at start of game. With stay wider it was a back 4 when we attacked. However AMN was too close to Torreira so changed to:

bOG0gaq.png

This created a very nice shape when we had the ball, basically turned into a 433. However slight issue was when Mari and AMN had to get back into position, left the left wing a bit exposed. Also Auba wasn't getting into any of the positions I was wanting, so tried this for a little while with stay wider:

U3mONXX.png

And he scored 2 goals. However due to no one being in front of him AMN just played like a normal WB and Mari didn't push out wide.

I think the 2nd system worked best in terms of shape, but didn't create space for balls over the top. Need to play with the TI's a bit more. Would like to see how the LCB works if PPM of gets forward or something as didn't make any forward runs which I'd like to see

Edited by craiigman