Analyzing poor decisions (I think)

I've had a few of these situations but this one was pretty extreme. Hutchinson had been running unopposed for several metres before reaching this position. Instead of passing he shot straight into the defender a millisecond after this image was taken.

What decides this?

He is an below average player for League One. But I see this in all competitions no matter the level and I almost never see the pass instead of the shot.

So my question is really, when should I expect a player to do the right thing here and how can I improve the chances of that happening? Is my player simply too bad at key attributes? Is my tactic doing something that doesn't promote good passes or am I simply expecting too much from players in these situations?

Situation:

image.png.108af1c5d37d49462f9ab80aea3c5fcd.thumb.png.966294600162a58a5b3a831ee372fd60.png

Tactic:
image.thumb.png.0df9ee610a64777977af0d535d8f28f6.png

Hutchinson:

image.thumb.png.d3a3ee9fab5a66f0f14f40a27a96bf10.png

Edited by Karnack

1 hour ago, Karnack said:

I've had a few of these situations but this one was pretty extreme. Hutchinson had been running unopposed for several metres before reaching this position. Instead of passing he shot straight into the defender a millisecond after this image was taken.

What decides this?

He is an below average player for League One. But I see this in all competitions no matter the level and I almost never see the pass instead of the shot.

So my question is really, when should I expect a player to do the right thing here and how can I improve the chances of that happening? Is my player simply too bad at key attributes? Is my tactic doing something that doesn't promote good passes or am I simply expecting too much from players in these situations?

Situation:

image.png.108af1c5d37d49462f9ab80aea3c5fcd.thumb.png.966294600162a58a5b3a831ee372fd60.png

Tactic:
image.thumb.png.0df9ee610a64777977af0d535d8f28f6.png

Hutchinson:

Is this situation after def corner? Why advanced forward is so far behind? In this specific situation it would need lower tempo and direct passes (maybe), but then again that would affect everything else. Dribble less could also help. Its hard to build whole tactic around this. Maybe some individual traits could help? AML decisions is not so great either.

Edited by Pasonen

1 minute ago, Pasonen said:

Is this situation after def corner? Why advanced forward is so far behind? In this specific situation it would need lower tempo and direct passes (maybe), but then again that would affect everything else. Dribble less could also help. Its hard to build whole tactic around this. Maybe some individual traits could help?

Hehe, the one who is completely free is actually the BBM and the AF got brutalized by opposition player and just got up on his legs there. Thats why he is so far behind. I think the situation arose from a def corner.

Hutchinson have had a few incidents since this match where his first solution is a shot, so I will think about your suggestions and try a few to see if something helps! 

Inside forwards on attack can be quite single minded and selfish when looking for goal scoring opportunities, maybe consider playing him on support. You can use get further forward to increase his runs into the box.

5 hours ago, Karnack said:

His poor decisions attribute rating seems to be the key reason in this particular case. Your tactic looks decent overall. It can be improved by a couple of tweaks though, but I don't think the situation from the screenshot was caused by the tactic (at least not primarily). 

Right-footed, IF on attack with lowish composure and decisions doing more harm than the decentish vision and passing are good.

I'm sure it can be frustrating - like watching a match IRL and saying to the tele/screen he's open! - but I think this scenario can be explained away, as has been above.

Generally speaking I see what I think are a bunch of excessively optimistic shot attempts inside the 18yd box when there's an 'obvious' player to pull the ball back to, so reckon you're not alone in seeing this behaviour :-)

17 hours ago, _Daniel_ said:

Inside forwards on attack can be quite single minded and selfish when looking for goal scoring opportunities, maybe consider playing him on support. You can use get further forward to increase his runs into the box.

Yeah, I've started to notice that lately. I've switched the IF to Support and hope it will do some good. No similar situations yet so can't really say if it will help this particular problem.

13 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

His poor decisions attribute rating seems to be the key reason in this particular case. Your tactic looks decent overall. It can be improved by a couple of tweaks though, but I don't think the situation from the screenshot was caused by the tactic (at least not primarily). 

Fair enough! I'm tweaking it right now, added lower tempo which seems to improve the team overall. Hopefully it will allow them to do better in similar situations as well.