The New Mini Updates Thread.

deltablue

I never liked calendar year seasons and I'm now realising why the worst way possible.

The Swedish League ends in November, instead of going on holidays I have to keep the have going for 21 more days to play the last 3 matches of UEFA CL/EL/ECL group stage.

When the squad returns in February some players are bought and some are sold, but when registering players for the UEFA knockout rounds I can make a maximum of three changes, meaning I signed 6 players in the off season and I must leave at least the unregistered. :mad:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing as Málaga and I won the league in the first season gaining promotion. Expecting a relegation battle the following season I started quite well. P6 W1 D5 L0. Following a few more results I stayed around midtable until I played Real Madrid at home. I lost 2-0 and after that played against Getafe at home winning 3-1. Then came the break for the World Cup. After the break well... I went 13 more games without losing, 8 wins and 5 draws. April was a bad month, 1W 1D 3L and in May, I had 7 fixtures to play. I was bearing down on European places with the dream of a 4th place CL spot. Given how other clubs lost lots of points, it was very close. First 4 games were against bottom half teams, 3 of which were 20th/19th/17th at the time. Come out with 3W 1D. 

3 games left. All home. All important. Barcelona. Villarreal. Celta Vigo. 

20211229100345_1.thumb.jpg.07a8a71283464699b9f303d1d2f737f7.jpg

I was over the moon with this! Complete shock how we dominated. My team is average at best.20211229100418_1.thumb.jpg.7716bbc1f08b2b9bd7817adab0d98fb6.jpg

Tough game. Villarreal were fighting for the 4th place spot also and avoiding defeat gave me a great chance! This was the last match of the season ( round 38 ) however due to a waterlogged pitch, I still had 1 more to play that had been postponed and was in 2 days from this. A win would see me level on points with 2 other teams.

20211229100842_1.thumb.jpg.7b2af453d24b40cdb6a59ed2feef397e.jpg

By god we did it!!!

20211229100446_1.thumb.jpg.13c0f84a6335aa6dd37c7889b103efc6.jpg

Thanks to @Rashidiand his content on YouTube. I've learned so much about actually understanding tactics / roles / instructions and managed to get a solid system. For a relegation battle expected, with the low quality of my squad compared to the rest I never expected this. I've played FM for 10+ years and this is by far one of the greatest starts to a save I have accomplished. 

Time for an even bigger struggle now, staying competitive in the Champions League! Will help the finances massively as Málaga don't have the much. I was given £8mil budget for the new season.   

a57d183d1970fd4dc4b3280917d5ede7.png 
He has done it again! :eek: He scored after 13 seconds! They was the better team but wow.

e15027fc9fba23d950c372434006b091.png 

Bloody hell :D 

Edited by john1

Taking my first real bash on FM in a few years with FM 21 after getting a new laptop as a Christmas gift to myself (well that and my old one is 5 years old and I busted the hinges so I can't close the lid). Holy hell how does anyone have time to play out a full season now? :eek: (on the bright side this new laptop can handle my preferred league setup better now and is pretty speedy at processing, so that's good)

Anyway, did my usual Sunday League + No badges + Start unemployed. Got hired at Eastern ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Sports_Club )in the Hong Kong league with them sitting 7th out of 8 teams (last place goes down) and the league having already split into its championship/relegation groups. Was actually a pretty good looking team that just hadn't been getting results. Managed to end the season in 6th and win the FA Cup and Sapling Cup, plus advanced in the AFC Cup (best part was that we had 2 North Korean teams in our group. So an American manager had to go into North Korea. :D ) .

Early days in my first full season in charge. We're off to a flawless start after 3 matches, even with learning a new formation, won the Community Cup and advanced to the AFC Cup's Interzone Playoff Final where we're playing a team from Turkmenistan (already got a 0-0 draw in the away leg). Working on my National C license as well.

Downside is the club is bleeding cash, but at least has a fat bank balance to cover it for now. Although it didn't help that I accidentally on purpose asked the board to improve the youth training facilities after one of my staff members suggested it. Hey, they could have said no.

So the start of my managerial career in Hong Kong has gone 16-5-0, with 3 cup wins. :D

Finally lost in the league. Was bound to happen eventually tbf. We're in 2nd place, 2 points off the lead with a game in hand. We're also 6 points clear of the split with 2 games in hand there (we have 6 matches left before the split)

Made it all the way to the AFC Interzone Playoff FInal where we lost 1-2 on an 86th minute goal to a Syrian team that had blitzed most of the teams they'd played in the competition. Made a fat $750,000 for that though, which helps out the bank balance.

Crashed out of the group stage of the Sapling Cup. But the board didn't care about that competition, and there's a requirement to have 4 U22 Hong Kong players on the pitch, so I just went with a mixed reserve/youth side to get a look at some of the players who haven't been good enough to get into the first team. Pretty much all 1-star players though a couple of the kids have 3 or 3-1/2 star potential.

Having to do a bit of a balancing act with the squad, as we have 6 foreign players and can only use 4 in the league (but the full 6 can be used in continental competitions). PRC players count as foreign, unfortunately for us, as I had signed a defender who left China to sign with Den Haag but washed out of there after 3 seasons and no appearances. Plus a Belgian to bolster our left back position. And we have a Brazilian AML/AMC who's all but first name on the team sheet. And a Brazilian centerback who one of our best defenders. That leaves my 2 Brazilian forwards out in the cold, even though they're better than our other forwards. The best of the two came to me worried that he's not enough playing time, so I bench the Chinese defender to give him a chance in my last match. Might have to rotate through all the foreign players to keep everyone happy. :D

Made a valiant effort but couldn't quite get over the line.

We were sitting in the lead for most of the (brief) season, but had a slip up in form that saw us go into the championship stage (which is only 3 matches) 5 points off the lead. We won our first match, with leaders Lee Man losing to cut the gap to 2. Our second match was at Lee Man, and we couldn't hold onto a 1-0 lead and had to settle for a draw. 

Decided to go for it against Happy Valley since 3 points was the only way we could take the title, and we managed to come away with a 3-1 win. But whilst Kitchee fought back from 2 goals down, they couldn't find the winner, and so we finished level on points with Lee Man but they took the title on goal difference.

In the meantime, we crashed out of the Senior Shield at the first hurdle, but the board didn't care about that competition. We're into the semifinal of the FA Cup so we still have a chance to do a cup double given we won the Community Cup to start the season. Hong Kong gets 4 teams in continental competitions now (2 in the Champions League, 2 in the AFC Cup), and our 2nd place finish means we're at least in the AFC Cup. (I'm guessing the second Champions League spot goes to the FA Cup winner, but we'll find out I guess)

The board was pretty pleased and offered me a 2-year extension on my contract with a pay rise from $525/week to $1,000/week. 

Will have to do a bit of squad rebuilding in the close season as some of our Brazilians have gotten old and decided to retire. One other will depart for somewhere else probably, as I couldn't come to terms with his agent. And there's a lot of deadwood that will be allowed to walk when their contracts expire.

Been a while since I had a proper bash with an FM save, but I think I'm finally starting to grasp where everything is and what they do. :D

Won the FA Cup again. :cool:

Third time in a row Eastern has won, with two of them under my watch. Needed a goal in the 118th minute to get through the semifinal.

Still not sure which AFC competition we'll be in. Guess I'll have to wait under the current AFC competitions finish up (Hong Kong league apparently doesn't use the same calendar as AFC competitions, like the Nordic leagues and UEFA club competitions)

Let the deadwood clear out, only to realize I might be a little thin on backups. So scrambling in the market to fill some spots. (doesn't help that scouting meetings keep recommending foreign players when we're already over the max for domestic competitions; on the bright side, one of our foreign players becomes eligible for Hong Kong nationality in about 170 days, and we can field a couple extra in AFC competitions).

Starting on my National B license, and convinced the board to upgrade the senior training facilities. It's a bit of a financial hit now, but we're still sitting on over $1MM in the bank and we'll eventually get some cash from the AFC competitions.

Reloaded my FM21 HK save because I just can't get into a FM22 save (not the game, just me, I always struggle to get into a save for the first 6 months of a save). At the point I rejoined the save I lost the Europa cup Semi-final to Hertha Berlin for a second time, and got Iceland a direct Champions League group stage spot so at least I have that going for me.

On 09/01/2022 at 21:23, john1 said:

PSG signed Harry Kane in the summer, and he's still banging goals in from midfielder! :eek: 

c147ee7e0414549749334cd638592ba6.png 

3f348f5685b10c68e098e1bc40f60db3.png 

This is crazy, he's been pretty much played as a DLP on my save from season 1 as well. 

On 08/01/2022 at 19:04, Jason the Yank said:

Won the FA Cup again. :cool:

Third time in a row Eastern has won, with two of them under my watch. Needed a goal in the 118th minute to get through the semifinal.

Still not sure which AFC competition we'll be in. Guess I'll have to wait under the current AFC competitions finish up (Hong Kong league apparently doesn't use the same calendar as AFC competitions, like the Nordic leagues and UEFA club competitions)

Let the deadwood clear out, only to realize I might be a little thin on backups. So scrambling in the market to fill some spots. (doesn't help that scouting meetings keep recommending foreign players when we're already over the max for domestic competitions; on the bright side, one of our foreign players becomes eligible for Hong Kong nationality in about 170 days, and we can field a couple extra in AFC competitions).

Starting on my National B license, and convinced the board to upgrade the senior training facilities. It's a bit of a financial hit now, but we're still sitting on over $1MM in the bank and we'll eventually get some cash from the AFC competitions.

Board is expecting only a top-half finish, but the media have made us 7-5 favorites to win the league.

Blitzed a couple of smaller clubs in preseason and beat Guangzhou's U23s to finish up. Whipped Lee Man in the Community Cup (we were up 4-0 but let in a couple of late ones). Downside is our new Italian striker (washed out from Sassuolo's youth system) did his groin after scoring on his debut. Had to throw on a 15-year-old youth teamer and *he* scored on his debut as well. Set the cup and club record for youngest goalscorer at 15 years 281 days.

Starting to think I should begin a proper thread now. :D