Relationship/Happiness

15 minutes ago, Spanner said:

Did you do anything to annoy the player? 

Player requested a new contract the previous season & I told him I wanted to see more from him first. I ended up giving him a new deal and am playing him regularly.

He's happy with his new deal & playing time. Surely his feelings still can't be hurt because I told him I wanted to see improvement last year? If that's the case, he shouldn't hold me in "highest regard". 

17 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Player requested a new contract the previous season & I told him I wanted to see more from him first. I ended up giving him a new deal and am playing him regularly.

He's happy with his new deal & playing time. Surely his feelings still can't be hurt because I told him I wanted to see improvement last year? If that's the case, he shouldn't hold me in "highest regard". 

100% i agree with you.
The player has been given a new deal, which he has earned, as a result of your demand to see more. Therefore, he has no need to have such a contradicting status as you have highlighted. 

very very strange!

1 hour ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Is this not conflicting? How can the player's feelings towards me be both?

My reading is that he recognises that the rest of the squad think that you're fantastic and he thinks they're right. He's just not Tom-Cruise-jumping-on-the-sofa about it.

The wording is weird as hell, though.

I think he simply loves you and doesn't care what anyone (in this case the rest of the team) else thinks - that's how I read it at least.

He's one of these aloof types that doesn't want to let on to his mates how much he really cares ;-)