No tactic works

Currently 9 years into a successful save but suddenly 10th season no tactic is working, I understand the AI works out how to play against you as you become more successful but no matter what I use or what instructions I use, performances are poor. The squad is probably on paper the best I have had so find it hard to believe nothing will work. Any pointers would be great!

Edited by Experienced Defender
bad language

1 hour ago, TEGER said:

I understand the AI works out how to play against you as you become more successful

No, it doesn't.  It may tend to play more conservatively against you as you become more successful, but that has more to do with your growing reputation and form.  That's very different to actually working out how you play.

1 hour ago, TEGER said:

The squad is probably on paper the best I have had so find it hard to believe nothing will work. Any pointers would be great!

For pointers there are plenty of great threads active on the forum right now which can give you loads of ideas, not to mention all the guides pinned to the top of the forum :thup:

One pointer in the mean time - if the AI are playing more conservatively it means you are being denied the space to work in which you previously enjoyed, so you should perhaps consider making small changes to help your team find space again.  For example if you are playing with a particularly aggressive style, with lots of attack duty players and/or the attacking mentality + aggressive team instructions you could consider toning it down a little.  Then again perhaps all you need is a little extra creativity and flair to help you unlock those stubborn defences.

However if you want more specific advice about a certain tactic, such as the one you've been using up until now, post the detail of it and someone may be able to help.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

No, it doesn't.  It may tend to play more conservatively against you as you become more successful, but that has more to do with your growing reputation and form.  That's very different to actually working out how you play.

I always thought that reputation did play some sort of a role how an opposition team would play against you. I've seen people say that here and there on this forum and others that it does and I was pretty sure myself that it did but I could well be wrong about it. I always thought the cycle was winning trophies performing better lead to an increased reputation and that lead to teams being more conservative against you, essentially that the 2 are linked together in a way.

4 hours ago, ReadingFan82 said:

I always thought that reputation did play some sort of a role how an opposition team would play against you

Yes, reputation plays the role in how they will generally approach a game against you. But that does not mean they (AI) can figure out your tactic in the way the OP alluded to. 

16 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes, reputation plays the role in how they will generally approach a game against you. But that does not mean they (AI) can figure out your tactic in the way the OP alluded to. 

Ah okay thank you very much for clarifying this for me