FM 19 - youth intake - Blyth - is there any chance of getting a jewel

Hi, 

I'm in about 30 seasons in with Blyth Spartans. In the top spot premier league, playing champions league etc. New stadium, have everything maxed out methinks. I can't see where there is any more possebility to get better on facilities, nothing more to ask from the board. Only capacity, but that happens automatic when sold out.

Youth intake still sucks. Anyone know if there is any hope that i will get a jewel sometimes in the future, or is that hardcoded to be impossible? Only potential 1 - 1,5 stars showing up every intake.

It's not hardcoded to be impossible.

Better facilities, staff, reputation, country you are in and so on improve your chances but there is never a guarantee.  It's also important to understand that as you get a better and better squad (which you must have given your success) the chance of you getting a player of equivalent (or better) potential reduces because there simply aren't that many high potential youngsters produced each year around the world.  

Following on from that thought, also understand that it's not just you who has great facilities, staff, rep etc - lots of other clubs will too and you're all in competition with each other for a very limited talent pool.

One other point - your staff can be wrong.  There's no need to bin any from your intake, other than the real dross, and as your staff become more familiar with the youngsters their opinions can change.  You should be able to tell who the real keepers are after a year or two.

I know it sucks.  You've invested all that time, effort and resources into your youth academy and you never seem to get anyone good enough for your first team.  However think of it this way - some of those 1-1.5 star players you have been getting probably will turn out to be good enough as maybe back up players for you.  Or at the very least you are keeping other clubs well supplied with talent when you release them :D.

:-) thanks for motivating reply. Since i have never seen one....what would a world star player look like when young at intake? Would he also be a 1 - 1,5 star, or would they rate him as a potenial 3 to 5 (or something like that). I don't think i ever have gotten a 2 star either. Would believe at least some two's and threes stars would show up with my intake at some point... when getting so high ratings with Blyth in most fields... :-)

Edited by H_a_a_k_o_n

I know this is no help but in my cheltenham town save I'm 6 seasons in, don't have great facilities, I'm an average mid table premier league team and I've been lucky enough to have 2 players in 2 years that could easily become first team players and are rated over 4 star. I do have very good staff and good personality on the HoYD. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never encountered an issue with youth players. On FM 18 on my Clyde save 2nd season I had a guy come through that ended up playing for Chelsea and Liverpool and went on to be Scotlands best player for a few years.

5 hours ago, H_a_a_k_o_n said:

:-) thanks for motivating reply. Since i have never seen one....what would a world star player look like when young at intake? Would he also be a 1 - 1,5 star, or would they rate him as a potenial 3 to 5 (or something like that). I don't think i ever have gotten a 2 star either. Would believe at least some two's and threes stars would show up with my intake at some point... when getting so high ratings with Blyth in most fields... :-)

These are not young world star players, but are a good example of how youngsters can be viewed differently.

This first kid is a 4 gold + 1 black star potential:

CHWZmzm.png

ReFxX9I.png

This next youngster - same position and age - is 2 gold + 1 black star potential:

shy4AjE.png

Rub2ld4.png

Based off my scout reports I'd pick the first guy.  But here's the kicker - they both have the exact same potential (with reference to the hidden value).  So why the difference in their potential star ratings?  Two main reasons:

1) The scouts got it wrong.  Scouts (or coaches if looking at your own players), no matter how good they are, are not infallible.  Their opinions can be wrong and can change over a period of time.

2) Judging youngsters at that early an age also factors in their current ability.  It's the coach (or scout in this case) looking at the young player and thinking "this kid looks good, must have decent potential" and so rates him accordingly.  And if you look at those two players above, the first one does have broadly better attributes (his current ability) than the 2nd and so gets a better rating for potential ability.

This is why it can be a bad idea to write off so many kids at such a young age.  Just because the coach / scout may give them poor ratings for potential doesn't always mean they actually do have low potential.  Give them more time to develop and you may get a surprise.

28 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It's not just that - it's also your Junior Coaching. For both, ask the board.

There is no more options to ask the board, related to this. Only to decrease junior coaching budget, and cut back junior recruitment. Not increase...

12 hours ago, H_a_a_k_o_n said:

have everything maxed out methinks

As it turns out, you're not even close to maxing things out and will be the primary reason why you're not getting many (any) decent newgens.  Your Youth Level is only 3 as well which iirc you get a message about the end of / start of a season with the option to invest.

As for Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment, the only thing you can do is keep checking with your Board (say once a month).  Bear in mind that some Boards are more willing to invest in a youth academy than others.  If your Board mentions in your club vision that they want you to develop young players then that could be an indicator of their willingness to invest.

Worst case - you got unlucky and happen to have a Board who don't really care about youth so will be very reluctant to invest.  I'm not saying that's what's happened here but sometimes it can happen.

Actually that's not the worst case.  The worst case is you've encountered some sort of glitch in the game which is preventing your Board from talking to you about these things.  You do have superb youth facilities after all, which may indicate your Board have been willing to invest in the past, but for whatever reason JC / YR have stalled.  Again, not saying that's what's happened here, but if you haven't had the option to ask the Board to improve these things for like 12 months or something and you have youth development as part of your club vision, then it may be worth loading up your save to the Bugs forum and asking the QA team to take a look.

9 hours ago, herne79 said:

As it turns out, you're not even close to maxing things out and will be the primary reason why you're not getting many (any) decent newgens.  Your Youth Level is only 3 as well which iirc you get a message about the end of / start of a season with the option to invest.

As for Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment, the only thing you can do is keep checking with your Board (say once a month).  Bear in mind that some Boards are more willing to invest in a youth academy than others.  If your Board mentions in your club vision that they want you to develop young players then that could be an indicator of their willingness to invest.

Worst case - you got unlucky and happen to have a Board who don't really care about youth so will be very reluctant to invest.  I'm not saying that's what's happened here but sometimes it can happen.

Actually that's not the worst case.  The worst case is you've encountered some sort of glitch in the game which is preventing your Board from talking to you about these things.  You do have superb youth facilities after all, which may indicate your Board have been willing to invest in the past, but for whatever reason JC / YR have stalled.  Again, not saying that's what's happened here, but if you haven't had the option to ask the Board to improve these things for like 12 months or something and you have youth development as part of your club vision, then it may be worth loading up your save to the Bugs forum and asking the QA team to take a look.

Thumbs up. i am hoping its something that the game resolve by time, maybe when todays board exit. I struggeled 10-12 years with the stadium too, with the final stage of upgrading never happened. But "suddenly" it all started over again with new city planning, and this time it only took about a year.

Getting a good acadamy its not a showstopper for me, but would add even more to a great savegame ;-)  

21 hours ago, herne79 said:

Aaaaand you were right!!!

Went to board, asked about new principles, and at the end of season i get this beatiful message! Thanks! 

image.thumb.png.45788ca67021ecaa44ed54abbdd6b645.png

@H_a_a_k_o_n (and everyone else) Just by way of a little follow up I thought I'd share this from a test save.  At the top is a youth intake sorted by Potential star rating.  At the bottom is the same group of youngsters but this time sorted by their actual (hidden) Potential value.

Lots of differences - some have greater potential than first thought, some worse.  Look at Ringot for example - first impression is he has the 5th worst potential yet he actually has the 6th best potential.  Or Baud - apparently the 4th best potential but actually has the 6th worst.  This is why I say don't just bin loads of youngsters because first impressions aren't always right :thup:.

2.png

3.png