The Regista role

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I guess you are talking about deep 4231 (with 2 DMs), because in a standard 4231 you cannot use a regista, simply because the role is played in DM position (not CM).

Yes that’s exactly what I mean. 

I'm a bit unsure on the regista role.

In game description suggests using a regista in a high pressing system, which makes sense in the regard that it would give him time to look for a pass if everyone is ahead of him, but then all of your players would be pushed up against the opponent making picking a pass that much harder.

A high pressing team like Liverpool don't employ a regista in the team, and the examples of regista's I can think of from real life would be players like Andrea Pirlo, Tony Kroos, Xabi Alonso, and they to my knowledge didn't play in teams that pressed "high", definitely not Pirlo.

So I'm a bit unsure about how to effectively utilise this position. I imagine him to be a quarterback, pinging passes to the wings and sitting in midfield as a pivot

Edited by FMunderachiever

1 hour ago, FMunderachiever said:

In game description suggests using a regista in a high pressing system, which makes sense in the regard that it would give him time to look for a pass if everyone is ahead of him, but then all of your players would be pushed up against the opponent making picking a pass that much harder.

A high pressing team like Liverpool don't employ a regista in the team, and the examples of regista's I can think of from real life would be players like Andrea Pirlo, Tony Kroos, Xabi Alonso, and they to my knowledge didn't play in teams that pressed "high", definitely not Pirlo.

So I'm a bit unsure about how to effectively utilise this position. I imagine him to be a quarterback, pinging passes to the wings and sitting in midfield as a pivot

The description of the Regista was exactly why I’d like to try Bennacer in that role in my high pressing 4231 system. And with Kessie maybe as BWM(def) at his side. 

14 hours ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

Is it possible to use a Regista in a Gegenpress 4231 system or should I stick to the usual DLP? I have Bennacer. 

I love regista role, imo the best role in the game. 

It's all about the tempo. If you play super fast gegenpress style like germans, usually regista isn't nothing special. If you play little bit slower (much slower <-> normal tempo), more methodical possession style with gegenpress, regista the best role. Regista needs to be one of the best players in your team. Had 12y long journeyman save and my regista won 8 times player of the year. Different players, leagues and formations. Played one season with 4-2-3-1, DMC roles were regista and half-back. My HF was basically copy of Matic so it was easy choice. If you play 4-2-3-1, your AMC role choice is quite interesting. I think it should be more aggressive, goalscorer player and role, maybe AM-A or even Shadow Striker.

Hope it helps, some random thoughts.

39 minutes ago, Valtte said:

I love regista role, imo the best role in the game. 

It's all about the tempo. If you play super fast gegenpress style like germans, usually regista isn't nothing special. If you play little bit slower (much slower <-> normal tempo), more methodical possession style with gegenpress, regista the best role. Regista needs to be one of the best players in your team. Had 12y long journeyman save and my regista won 8 times player of the year. Different players, leagues and formations. Played one season with 4-2-3-1, DMC roles were regista and half-back. My HF was basically copy of Matic so it was easy choice. If you play 4-2-3-1, your AMC role choice is quite interesting. I think it should be more aggressive, goalscorer player and role, maybe AM-A or even Shadow Striker.

Hope it helps, some random thoughts.

How about Regista combined with BWM?

13 minutes ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

How about Regista combined with BWM?

Sure, why not, if you have that type of player. It is usually good to have strong defensive and/or two-way players with regista. Like AC Milan had, defensive shape 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 Seedorf-Ambrosini-Pirlo-Gattuso and attacking phase transformed to legendary christmas tree 4-3-2-1. I think if you choose to play 4-2-3-1, defensive player with regista is good choice. Attributes are more important than role "accuracy". BWM, DM, HF etc. are fine choices.

Edited by Valtte

4 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

I believe it's because the regista works best for teams that spend most of the time in the opponent's half. In which case the regista will push way up just outside of the box and serve as the grand distributor, or a quarterback like you said. He'll always make himself available for the ball (anticipation, off the ball) and will find the right pass (passing, decisions, vision), sometimes the decisive one that will result in a goal (flair). When the opponent tries to mark him out of the game, he'll deal with that too (first touch, dribbling, composure, balance). It's a thing of beauty if set up correctly.

In order to go camping in the opponent's half, you'll have to win the ball high and often, and then keep it. Which is why it's recommended for high pressing systems, but is not ideal for high tempo, direct styles. I've seen people use the regista for counter-attacking systems, but, honestly, I think a DLP is way better for that, for the aforementioned reasons.

Edited by Enzo_Francescoli

Interesting thread. Funny enough in my save I am getting Bennaccer for free at the end of the season. Its year 2029 though and he is 31 years old :D

My currently roles in midfield are DLPd - BWMs - MEZZa. I might try Regista on DM role for next season and BWM-D instead of support.

3 hours ago, Valtte said:

If you play 4-2-3-1, your AMC role choice is quite interesting. I think it should be more aggressive, goalscorer player and role, maybe AM-A or even Shadow Striker.

Interesting. Have been experimenting with a 4-2-3-1 with a regista yesterday as well, because I felt sometimes with my 4-3-2-1 I didn't have enough men up top to break down those really defensive sides. Carles Alena was my Regista. 

TIs:

Positive mentality

I think I selected wider (due to the IF and AP on the wings)
Shorter passing
WBIB
Be more expressive
Distribute to FB-CB

Higher LOE
Higher LOD
standard pressing
Prevent short GK dist

CFs

IFs         SSa          APs

REGs    CMd

WBs    CDd    CDd     WBa

It did create a lot of movement and quite some good chances but most were just passed to the goalkeeper instead of firing a real shot... We won 3-0 due to a penalty, direct free kick and an own goal...
Will try next time with lower tempo, was thinking of that during the match as well. 

1 hour ago, GianniM said:

Interesting. Have been experimenting with a 4-2-3-1 with a regista yesterday as well, because I felt sometimes with my 4-3-2-1 I didn't have enough men up top to break down those really defensive sides. Carles Alena was my Regista. 

TIs:

Positive mentality

I think I selected wider (due to the IF and AP on the wings)
Shorter passing
WBIB
Be more expressive
Distribute to FB-CB

Higher LOE
Higher LOD
standard pressing
Prevent short GK dist

CFs

IFs         SSa          APs

REGs    CMd

WBs    CDd    CDd     WBa

It did create a lot of movement and quite some good chances but most were just passed to the goalkeeper instead of firing a real shot... We won 3-0 due to a penalty, direct free kick and an own goal...
Will try next time with lower tempo, was thinking of that during the match as well. 

Can you post a screen of your tactic/instructions?

26 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

He already described the entire tactic and you quoted it. You don't need a screenshot when he gave you all the information.

Okay Officer. So from his post, please inform me what he has set: Run at defence? Dribble less? Pass into space? Passing speed? Counter? Keep shape? Distribute quickly? Tight marking? Get stuck in?

oh sorry wait ... he didn’t mention that🙄

10 minutes ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

So from his post, please inform me what he has set: Run at defence? Dribble less? Pass into space? Passing speed? Counter? Keep shape? Distribute quickly? Tight marking? Get stuck in?

oh sorry wait ... he didn’t mention that

He didn't mention those instructions because he obviously does not use any of them, meaning he leaves them on default (unselected). 

@GianniM am I right?

1 minute ago, GianniM said:

@ThomasHK1979 @Experienced Defender Exactly, the tactic is as described above. I did forget to mention that I use offside trap though, but that's all. 

And I use opposition instructions to press wide players and to mark their creative central players and their lone forward (as is usually the case with teams parking the bus). 

Thanks

As I said I will try Regista role in the new season. So here is a little update.

SKEcWll.png

o9jFETA.png

Actually I am pretty amazed. I am dominating the teams so much even though they are playing very defensively. Possession is not always in my favour, I am averaging just 50%. I thought I will be struggling in defence, cause I dont really have holding midfielder but thats not the case. Teams rarely even come to my defence players cause most of the time my MC and forwards are winning the ball. I am using split block meaning my front 5 players have close down more.

I dont know if the regista role is key for these results. Would I achive them with DLPd/s? I don't think so.

On 29/07/2020 at 12:11, Aksi92 said:

As I said I will try Regista role in the new season. So here is a little update.

SKEcWll.png

o9jFETA.png

Actually I am pretty amazed. I am dominating the teams so much even though they are playing very defensively. Possession is not always in my favour, I am averaging just 50%. I thought I will be struggling in defence, cause I dont really have holding midfielder but thats not the case. Teams rarely even come to my defence players cause most of the time my MC and forwards are winning the ball. I am using split block meaning my front 5 players have close down more.

I dont know if the regista role is key for these results. Would I achive them with DLPd/s? I don't think so.

I am starting to have some trouble breaking down teams sitting back as my team's rep is skyrocketing. I have Tonali, Kessié, and Florentino too - so perfect players for these midfield roles. I am going to try working this in slowly against not top teams who play defensive and maybe cautious (as well in the second half with a comfortable lead) and see if it takes in the EPL. All of those clean sheets - I just love that. I'd rather win 1-0, 2-0 than 4-2 or 5-3 in general anyway. And so few team instructions too. And Very Fluid! That's just incredible if it will work.

I've got the defenders for BPD too. Assuming I've got guys that can handle the role, do you see that being an issue?

Edited by Joey Numbaz

12 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I've got the defenders for BPD too. Assuming I've got guys that can handle the role, do you see that being an issue?

I use BPD in my Regista-based tactic, and it hasn't been an issue for me:

1984856112_ToroStronzo.thumb.PNG.6b3f7e53009abf77610f098fa89ecc70.PNG

Scored 64 and allowed 17 in 32 played in Serie A, second in chances created to Bologna, who run an attacking 4-4-2 (and whose top striker I want to sign in the summer), average possession 51%.

Mine used to be Very Fluid as well with a F9 and both the Mez and AML on Support, I found this to work better with my players.