FM21 will it happen

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it will be, I don't think SI can afford such a loss of income, if their whole strategy is based around yearly releases. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a delay though, with all the changes and uncertainty around the footballing world.

Just my assumptions of course, nothing official has been said yet.

Yeah, and when you're stuck at home, because of the pandemic goes on, what else would you do if not play video games?

At this point I believe that game industry is perhaps the biggest winner of this situation (economically), if there is a winner as such, so I'm pretty sure that FM 21 will come.

I'm wondering if they will add those pandemic effects in game. Lower budgets, restricted numbers of supporters or no supporters during games, aka lower income from ticket sales, etc...

4 hours ago, Prokopije said:

I'm wondering if they will add those pandemic effects in game. Lower budgets, restricted numbers of supporters or no supporters during games, aka lower income from ticket sales, etc...

As I've said in every other thread that's popped up with this question, "Yes please"!

Us lower league masochist's will be in our element. 

Personally, I would be fine if FM 2021 was just an old fashioned "data disk" (remember those in the 90s? :D), with transfer updates and maybe more polish to the current match engine, with a price tag of €25. No COVID-related stuff (like Miles often says, FM is about realism but also escapism), while you have to take into account the heavily modified calendars (and the UEFA Euro, of course, along with the Olympics football tournament, for example).

But, of course, if I was SEGA, I wouldn't give the green light to something like that from a business stand point, pushing instead for a "normal" release. So that's probably what we're going to get, perhaps with a pushed back release date.

19 minutes ago, Lucas78 said:

No COVID-related stuff (like Miles often says, FM is about realism but also escapism), while you have to take into account the heavily modified calendars (and the UEFA Euro, of course, along with the Olympics football tournament, for example).

You want a game that prides itself as the most realistic football simulation to just carry on in some fictional world, where COVID didn't happen? Not saying newgens should suddenly start dying from diseases, but I'd be disappointed if they didn't properly model the new state of football. If anything, I can see this whole thing being a good selling point, something different than what we're used to.

I'd expect most of the significant development to have been close to completion as the pandemic began.  Obviously not anywhere close to release-ready, but it's not as if they pick up tools in spring and see what they can do for the next edition.  They'll have likely been working on the new title in at least some fashion since the release date of the previous.

7 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

You want a game that prides itself as the most realistic football simulation to just carry on in some fictional world, where COVID didn't happen? Not saying newgens should suddenly start dying from diseases, but I'd be disappointed if they didn't properly model the new state of football. If anything, I can see this whole thing being a good selling point, something different than what we're used to.

By that, it'll probably mean that the impacts Covid has had on football (less money, etc) would be included, but they won't refer to Covid directly.

Wondering what they would do with drinks breaks, apparently there's talks of keeping that going forward. Four team talks per match, anyone? :D

Also, the number of substitutions, stadium attendances, financial impact, staff layoffs... Definitely not an easy task for SI, considering no one really knows how the whole thing will pan out.

In my humble opinion.
FM21 will happen and the following will be experienced:

1. Lower budgets (but only in the 1st season as a knock-on effect from this season)

2. Stricter board restrictions in the transfers markets....everyone will be watching the pennies

3. Players maybe in need of some more rest as a knock-on effect of the hectic ending to the current season.

4. As from next season all is back to normal with spectators, media interviews, player transfers etc…

SIDE NOTE....International management could be interesting if key international sporting dates are changed etc..

Release date will be the same as usual, after all business is business. Plus should it be necessary an update will be sent to us all.

I am referring to the premier league teams / English lower leagues ....as for other countries and their leagues i can not comment.

Edited by Spanner
clarification on leagues / countries

3 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Wondering what they would do with drinks breaks, apparently there's talks of keeping that going forward. Four team talks per match, anyone? :D

Also, the number of substitutions, stadium attendances, financial impact, staff layoffs... Definitely not an easy task for SI, considering no one really knows how the whole thing will pan out.

Number of substitutions is dead easy - anybody who knows how to use the editor could literally change that in 5 minutes. I also can't imagine temporarily lowering all stadium capacities is particularly difficult. But the drinks breaks and the other impacts to the game you mentioned, as well as the fixture scheduling, will be harder.

I hope not... It would be pressing continue from March until June / July and everyday hoping no one will get the bloody virus. Hence, imagine them giving your whole team COVID and you therefore miss the CL final...The joy! I've read about some teams being relegated or missing promotion because of it. 

I'm sure it's a tough decision, but my hope is that they leave coronavirus out of it. I started playing this year as an escape. Mission accomplished, but I also have a new addiction that pairs nicely with beer, my old vice. Anyway, what a bummer if my escape just mirrored my own personal reality.

An update to FM20 to include the pandemic so the season reflects what's happened in each country up to now and have the summer leagues updated to 2020 would be an option.

If there is an FM21 SI will have to guess what'll happen after the games release or wether to include Covid at all. They did guess at Brexit for a few editions 

On 27/07/2020 at 12:15, Draakon said:

Yeah, and when you're stuck at home, because of the pandemic goes on, what else would you do if not play video games?

At this point I believe that game industry is perhaps the biggest winner of this situation (economically), if there is a winner as such, so I'm pretty sure that FM 21 will come.

Yeah if you're skint spend what's left on computer games.

1 hour ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Yeah if you're skint spend what's left on computer games.

On what else would you spend it? 

• Movie tickets, concerts, theatre, night clubs - all closed
  • Travelling - you wish
  • Gas - nowhere to drive to
  • Cafeterias, restaurants - closed

When I worked from home this Spring, I saved some 100 € per month on gas alone and playing video games is one of the best ways to kill time if you're stuck between four walls.

4 hours ago, Garethjohn79 said:

An update to FM20 to include the pandemic so the season reflects what's happened in each country up to now and have the summer leagues updated to 2020 would be an option.

That was ruled out by Miles months ago after enough people asked if FM20 would be updated to include the pandemic. The answer was categorically "No."

6 hours ago, Garethjohn79 said:

If there is an FM21 SI will have to guess what'll happen after the games release or wether to include Covid at all. They did guess at Brexit for a few editions 

Why on earth would that be a thing? Just play the game. It's not that important of a game to include pandemics.

11 hours ago, jc1 said:

Leave the features completely and concentrate purely on getting the ME right, if they release the game with this ME, sales will plummet.

What benefit would there be telling all the other teams who work on aspects of the game to stop working and only the ME team to continue?

Game development has pretty much never been about throwing a raw volume of human endeavour at it once you're beyond a certain number of people. Individual systems need to be learned, and in a lot of cases more people working on the same thing tends to just complicate and slow things down because there have to be discussions and processes updating others.

17 minutes ago, Alannnnn said:

Why on earth would that be a thing? Just play the game. It's not that important of a game to include pandemics.

While I understand your point of view, there is a few good reasons to consider the effect of the pandemic within the footballing world.

As someone previously mentioned in this thread, Brexit did happen on some FM versions and I was one of the players who was affected by Brexit and WOW did it have an effect on my save/game!

Take the pandemic and its huge, maybe even bigger than Brexit.

Brexit really affects transfers and contracts.

The pandemic will affect revenue, stadium atmosphere, general finances in a big way (for example salary budgets, transfer budgets, staff possibilities etc…)

Not to mention if one of your players get IT or refuses to training because of COVID-19.
It all depends on the 2nd COVID wave and if it happens!

4 hours ago, Draakon said:

On what else would you spend it? 

• Movie tickets, concerts, theatre, night clubs - all closed
  • Travelling - you wish
  • Gas - nowhere to drive to
  • Cafeterias, restaurants - closed

When I worked from home this Spring, I saved some 100 € per month on gas alone and playing video games is one of the best ways to kill time if you're stuck between four walls.

Morgate, children, rent, food, clothes 

26 minutes ago, Alannnnn said:

How can you leave out something that has  this and will change at least the next two seasons and has had a dramatic impact on every club?

How can a new season FM be released when the last editions season hasn't finished and still nobody knows when the next starts? UEFA tournaments may get pushed back further, when will the 20-21 CL begin? Players will be included in any self isolation or travel bans.

No point releasing an edition until the seasons of the main leagues are into their 3rd month of fixtures, when is this? Have an update FM 20  so we can play through 19-20 with it added. SI should take the opportunity with a gap to significantly improve the gameplay and release a brand spanking mega improved  World Cup year FM22. I mean most new FM's barely feel like more than a data update anyway, If FA'S cram in 20-21 into a few months, or end with a late season there won't be much space between FM 21's final update (the time which more and more are buying their editions) & 22. 

39 minutes ago, Spanner said:

While I understand your point of view, there is a few good reasons to consider the effect of the pandemic within the footballing world.

As someone previously mentioned in this thread, Brexit did happen on some FM versions and I was one of the players who was affected by Brexit and WOW did it have an effect on my save/game!

The pandemic will affect revenue, stadium atmosphere, general finances in a big way (for example salary budgets, transfer budgets, staff possibilities etc…)

Not to mention if one of your players get IT or refuses to training because of COVID-19.

None of that explains why it should be in the game.

5 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

None of that explains why it should be in the game.

i will politely ask you to read it again and remember that club-finance is very important.

The impact already that COVID-19 has had on football is huge.

I personally think that FM21 will be ok and the footballing world will be ok…… but if the 2nd wave hits hard. Then be prepared for a very different 2020/21 football season.

Did you like the end to the current real-life 2019/20 season ??

50 minutes ago, Spanner said:

i will politely ask you to read it again and remember that club-finance is very important.

The impact already that COVID-19 has had on football is huge.

I personally think that FM21 will be ok and the footballing world will be ok…… but if the 2nd wave hits hard. Then be prepared for a very different 2020/21 football season.

Did you like the end to the current real-life 2019/20 season ??

No, you still haven't explained why Covid should feature in FM21.

3 hours ago, santy001 said:

What benefit would there be telling all the other teams who work on aspects of the game to stop working and only the ME team to continue?

Game development has pretty much never been about throwing a raw volume of human endeavour at it once you're beyond a certain number of people. Individual systems need to be learned, and in a lot of cases more people working on the same thing tends to just complicate and slow things down because there have to be discussions and processes updating others.

I really couldn't care less about the other team members of SI who are involved in FM, the ME is a shambles and needs serious work on it, everything else seems fine and enjoyable, match day game play is the big let down.

2 hours ago, jc1 said:

I really couldn't care less about the other team members of SI who are involved in FM, the ME is a shambles and needs serious work on it, everything else seems fine and enjoyable, match day game play is the big let down.

Okay, so your argument is that SI should tell X amount of staff presumably earning a decent amount to all sit there and do nothing but cheer on the ME staff? 

The fact that someone can do one element in a related field doesn't guarantee they can seamlessly step into another. All your suggestion would do is absolutely nothing positive for the ME. If they were to redeploy all other possible staff to the ME team the biggest problem would be the fact they'd then have to provide training & understanding for all these new staff on the ME. From what I've seen in interviews with game developers the biggest reason not to keep expanding dev teams even if more devs would help is the fact that it can take upwards of 2 years for people to become familiar and work independently on complex systems. 

Translating that to FM, you'd be waiting until around about FM24 to see the positives in the ME. Even if it were to be a question of just having more devs would help.

6 hours ago, santy001 said:

Okay, so your argument is that SI should tell X amount of staff presumably earning a decent amount to all sit there and do nothing but cheer on the ME staff? 

The fact that someone can do one element in a related field doesn't guarantee they can seamlessly step into another. All your suggestion would do is absolutely nothing positive for the ME. If they were to redeploy all other possible staff to the ME team the biggest problem would be the fact they'd then have to provide training & understanding for all these new staff on the ME. From what I've seen in interviews with game developers the biggest reason not to keep expanding dev teams even if more devs would help is the fact that it can take upwards of 2 years for people to become familiar and work independently on complex systems. 

Translating that to FM, you'd be waiting until around about FM24 to see the positives in the ME. Even if it were to be a question of just having more devs would help.

Jeez give me strength, at this moment in time I care not a jot about what staff does what, my point is a very straight forward one, the biggest problem with FM20 is the ME and that should be the priority for SI this year, everything else about the game seems fine and should IMHO be left alone. Don't reply back saying anymore about their staff and what they can or can't do or I'll just block your posts, you're already annoying the hell out of me.

Edited by jc1

And you're entitled to your opinion on the match engine @jc1, it's a perfectly valid thing to just simply say that you don't like something and hope it will be/want it to be better next time. When you start to get prescriptive in the manner in which it should be achieved then that is open to criticism if its nonsensical. 

7 minutes ago, santy001 said:

And you're entitled to your opinion on the match engine @jc1, it's a perfectly valid thing to just simply say that you don't like something and hope it will be/want it to be better next time. When you start to get prescriptive in the manner in which it should be achieved then that is open to criticism if its nonsensical. 

I understand the workings of SI and accept everyone who works there having various roles, I was simply pointing out that the major problem with this years game was the ME and that should be their main priority for FM21 as the vast majority of FM20 is actually fine, possibly just needed a few wee tweaks.

Maybe we should stop taking the argument literally and consider the actual point. The match engine in terms of graphics and performance in particular is nowhere remotely close to the standards of other modern games, and a regression from 3+ years ago. It therefore needs to be the absolute top priority for SI.

16 hours ago, Spanner said:

It is huge now, in the absence of effective vaccine but that could change soon, some say as early as Febuary next year.

1 hour ago, Spurs08 said:

Maybe we should stop taking the argument literally and consider the actual point. The match engine in terms of graphics and performance in particular is nowhere remotely close to the standards of other modern games, and a regression from 3+ years ago. It therefore needs to be the absolute top priority for SI.

Feel like posts like these really struggle if they don't have an "In my opinion" added to them. Whilst of course there's room for improvement, there's a lot of people (myself included) who can remember older FM's and their match-engines without rose-tinted glasses on. 

To say this ME is a regression of those from FM17 and earlier is frankly wrong - in my opinion. ;) 

8 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

The pandemic is temporary, Brexit is permanent. They cannot be compared. 

I can sympathies with your time-frame point of view but i was merely using the Brexit example to show the impact a worldly event can have on a sports game / FM save.
The Pandemic will have a massive effect on the FM21 game. To what extent...we will wait to find out.