Tips to avoid so many injuries?

I've to say, I never had much of a problem with injuries. Outside of hiring best physios and sport scientists you can get and not playing tired players, it pretty much only has to do with training.

A couple of pointers I follow:

• No training one day before the match, apart from one Match Preparation and Match Preview session
  • No training one day after the match, apart from one Recovery and Match Review session
  • Individual intensity set to Automatic, which is set as follows: < 69% Condition = No pitch or gym work, 70-89% Condition = Normal Intensity,  > 90 Condition = Double Intensity
  • Don't start players below 90% Condition
  • Sub off players below 70% Condition

You can also take special care of players with high injury susceptibility (Risk Assessment Squad view), such as manually setting their individual intensity to Normal or Half, but hopefully those are rare anyway.

There's a medical or sport scientist report that show player injury risk based on player jadedness before each match. Check that report and manage the training intensity of players with high injury risk

Biggest difference i noticed at Man United was when i hired 2 new physios.....i fired the 2 previous ones because of motivation levels and their older age. 

....The 2 new young physios came in and my injury list changed a lot for the better. I can not say for sure if its just them (as other staff changes happened as well) but we play many games per season and the difference is impressive.

All other points made above connected to training and match preperation (pre and post) are also very valid in helping you limit injuries also. 

Any option what to do if we do not have controle over those things? I just got job as Colombia headcoach and during first international window 8 of my players were unavailable for selection cause of injuries. During second, game was "generous" - just 4 of them. What do they do to them in those clubs?!

Edited by Prokopije

22 hours ago, Prokopije said:

Any option what to do if we do not have controle over those things? I just got job as Colombia headcoach and during first international window 8 of my players were unavailable for selection cause of injuries. During second, game was "generous" - just 4 of them. What do they do to them in those clubs?!

As a club manager I often wonder, what do they do to them in those international sides. My talented youngsters often go to U-21 teams and then play three games in 10 days window. I'm lucky to get them back without an injury, but the least they're completely exhausted and I have to rest them for the next league game to avoid more serious problems.

On 21/07/2020 at 19:43, Prokopije said:

I was/am an international manager with Russia, Holland and England.... and i agree with you. Clubs are killing me and many of my star players.

...i have no power, no way to communicate to the clubs, no influence and it annoys me.
I wish i could ask them to rest my player.

2 hours ago, Draakon said:

As a club manager I often wonder, what do they do to them in those international sides. My talented youngsters often go to U-21 teams and then play three games in 10 days window. I'm lucky to get them back without an injury, but the least they're completely exhausted and I have to rest them for the next league game to avoid more serious problems.

Before i was an International Manager, i was at Man United so i know the frustration you describe because a lot of my Man United players were picked up by international sides. 
.....Its tough, but i can say that i am more into international squad rotation. It has helped me win and kept players fresh.

i hope they can change this in the FM game because i feel like the international manager role has been neglected.

Go into the training window and you can set the recommendation training intensity per your physios suggestion for that time for that player. It takes into account who is low and high risk for injuries. I found by doing this every week I’ve had a 25% reduction in injuries. Also check before a game who is high risk and make that judgement call on whether you really need to okay those players or not. 

20 hours ago, Draakon said:

That is good question as well. When I was at LA Galaxy, national teams returned all 3 of my designated players with 4-6 months long injuries. All 3 during same window. Sometimes when game throw injury plague on us, then we're plagued indeed.

I've not had problems with injuries on FM20 and I believe SI actually lower the rate of injuries against real life because they know it makes the game unenjoyable. 

Some tips:

1) If you have a good Assistant Manager let him run general training. 

2) If you're winning by 2 goals and have tired players on the pitch, take them off. 

3) Don't make injury prone players train too hard individually. 

4) Get the right medical staff in

5) Don't make players play full matches when they've just come back from an injury

6) Keep an eye on condition %

7) Keep an eye on injury risk reports. 

Em 23/07/2020 em 08:01, DaveMac disse:

Go into the training window and you can set the recommendation training intensity per your physios suggestion for that time for that player. It takes into account who is low and high risk for injuries. I found by doing this every week I’ve had a 25% reduction in injuries. 

You mean here ?

rec.thumb.jpg.db8b0331f19ba028f89215d1ead51f38.jpg

But I need to do that more than once? I thought than once I click there, it would remain?

Em 23/07/2020 em 17:04, Travis Bickle disse:

I've not had problems with injuries on FM20 and I believe SI actually lower the rate of injuries against real life because they know it makes the game unenjoyable. 

Some tips:

1) If you have a good Assistant Manager let him run general training. 

2) If you're winning by 2 goals and have tired players on the pitch, take them off. 

3) Don't make injury prone players train too hard individually. 

4) Get the right medical staff in

5) Don't make players play full matches when they've just come back from an injury

6) Keep an eye on condition %

7) Keep an eye on injury risk reports. 

So what's the thing here I should be paying attention? Overall risk of injury?

839090137_rsijkinjry.thumb.jpg.8f6a490c33da11a466eccf249ddb84c8.jpg

Edited by mikcheck

On 25/07/2020 at 13:38, mikcheck said:

You mean here ?

rec.thumb.jpg.db8b0331f19ba028f89215d1ead51f38.jpg

But I need to do that more than once? I thought than once I click there, it would remain?

So what's the thing here I should be paying attention? Overall risk of injury?

839090137_rsijkinjry.thumb.jpg.8f6a490c33da11a466eccf249ddb84c8.jpg

That’s the screen. The intensity required changes all the time. So I do it on a weekly basis to make sure it’s the most up to date data used. 

• 2 weeks later...

One way to limit number of injuries is to give the whole squad, bar GK, a 1 day rest after matches, but that has a detrimental effect on their performance, so it's best to simply have deep squad and rotate regularly. Always rest players with very high injury risk though.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if players that are highly susceptible to injuries can have that trained out them over the years?

I've avoided buying any player who is not average or better on the injury front, until this season being tempted by this Brazilian wonderkid who was going to be a barnstorming WB. He's spent way too much time on the trainers table and that was with having him be a sub/cup match player this season.

As others point out - being a u21 international means I cannot control those weeks when he jets off to South America - but even when I cotton wool him upon return, he still gets crocked. I think I have learned my lesson on 'high' injury players, but wanted to check if there is a way to make it better. Thanks!