Target Man in 1 striker formations

Having seen Wycombe recently get promoted I was thinking of doing a Wycombe save.

One of their key players is the legendary Adebayo Akinfenwa. But their squad also has a number of attacking midfielders and wingers. That got me thinking.

Let's say I wanted to play Akinfenwa up front on his own. How would you go about making the big man play a big role in Wycombe side's attack?

How do you get inside forwards, attacking midfielders, wingers and deep running midfielders interacting with him? I really don't want to play a 4-4-2 formation, but I wonder if target man is suitable for a formation with either 2 midfielders and 3 attacking midfielders or 3 midfielders and 2 attacking midfielders?

Do you set him as a target man, or do you try to play him as a deep lying forward on support? He does look like he does better with the ball played to his feet in a central position, holding off defenders with back to goal.

How do you set up your tactic so the primary method of attack is to play the ball on the ground to Akinfenwa?

I had a nice experience with a lone TM on support duty in a 4123 wide (or 4141dm wide, as the game calls it). But it's hard to say which particular setup of roles and duties would optimally suit your players, because each team is different. However, if a player is really good on the ball (besides being strong and aerially powerful), I personally would rather opt for a DLF. Unless you insist on him acting as a ball-magnet, of course. 

P.S: Keep in mind that player traits will also considerably affect the way he plays. 

A Shadow Striker behind him. Take a look at this video maybe you will find some inspiration:

As from my experience I don't recommend letting him alone upfront in a 3 midfielders and 2 attacking midfielders(AML-AMR) combination.