FC Kaiserslazy - The art of passive FM

I love this thread. Ive had more fun when ive subscribed to your style of playing.

Love the minimalism. ive tried micromanaging everything and made things worse.

I love sticking in exotic roles for the hell of it now. Theyre cool and sound eccentric. Who cares. Love using Liberos

Edited by FMunderachiever

8 hours ago, JDeeguain said:
  • I want 4-4-2 because that wins everything. Love me some crosses too.
  • Positive because I'm a positive guy
  • Let's go for attacking wingers and also attacking full backs because they're cool and full backs are not defensive now.
  • DLF and AF because I read that on a guide on here 10 years ago.
  • High tempo because Liverpool do that.
  • Wider because we play wingers.
  • Counter and Counter Press sound cool so I'll select those for no other reason
  • Pressing obviously.

This reasoning is quite brilliant! :applause: :lol: 

13 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

I love this thread. Ive had more fun when ive subscribed to your style of playing.

Love the minimalism. ive tried micromanaging everything and made things worse.

I love sticking in exotic roles for the hell of it now. Theyre cool and sound eccentric. Who cares. Love using Liberos

I definitely think micromanaging has it's place and I absolutely love all of the in depth threads on here.  My aim is to set expectations about how simple this game can be if you put aside perfectionism. 

I like a good Libero, and I'm playing in Germany. You're stirring me. 

13 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

@JDeeguain Cool experiment. But wish you could try this with a good team in the top league and then see how many draws you get :lol:

You're giving me irresistible, some might say sadistic images of playing Messi in a Stuart Downing role out on the left that I might have to try.

6 hours ago, yourih3 said:

This reasoning is quite brilliant! :applause: :lol: 

Try it out, feels good.

A new season dawns and I have decided I want my transfer policy to be Daniel Levy

0HOCDTW.png

Ass man (I still don't know who is he or any of my staff are) gets back into his cage for this. Passive FM applies to tactics only and not South American wonderkids (well, Bundesliga and Premier League wonderkids on loan is 2. Bundesliga equivalent).

Ass man also wanted to pay Sebastien Polter 25k a week, this has no consideration in my decision to take over transfer policy. Although I will suggest to my boss to allow AI to handle this year's salary discussions.

HEuQd7t.png

Nope. No changes this is a league winning tactic. Ferguson never changed tactic.

qczocZ2.png

88MW84R.png

In the promotion hunt at the winter break. 

dxLpkVX.png

Remarkably similar pattern of results to last season. Mediocre start and pushed on as the team gelled.

1zMCJ3x.png

I want 4-4-2 because that wins everything. Love me some crosses too.

Just Hook It To My Veins GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

OIHXONl.png

Edited by JDeeguain

19 minutes ago, wixxi said:

A bit confused on what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?

Sure thing.

If you notice the roles in my tactic are quite basic and lack any luxurious or exotic roles.

A 4-4-2 is a wide play tactic by it's shape already. I don't really need to select CWB or WB for example to tell my Full Backs to get forward and cross. If you look across this forum, I don't think anyone really uses FB/A.

Or up front I'm using AF and DLF rather than something more exotic like PF and F9, but I still want them both to do the same things pretty much and they do it.

7 hours ago, Deego619 said:

Sure thing.

If you notice the roles in my tactic are quite basic and lack any luxurious or exotic roles.

A 4-4-2 is a wide play tactic by it's shape already. I don't really need to select CWB or WB for example to tell my Full Backs to get forward and cross. If you look across this forum, I don't think anyone really uses FB/A.

Or up front I'm using AF and DLF rather than something more exotic like PF and F9, but I still want them both to do the same things pretty much and they do it.

If you support QPR, i reckon theres a mad idea in my head where i could play 3 centrebacks with a libero and three false 9s up front.

Im gonna try it out. if i get battered so be it.

I want to go with a false nine trident of Eze, Chair and Hugill

So.

2Svlc7N.png

We ended up pulling it off, rather comfortably in the end against 16th placed Bundesliga team Frieburg to progress through the play offs.

yGGHBJ7.png

08OVTaN.png

Still the same

TaUKTce.png

If we manage to stay up this tactic is the new diablo. 

I'll give this save another season or so before I move on to a top club.

JH3JamK.png

Turns out my lads are actually peak bottlers and should have ran away with this league.

No more goals from corners since the winter break and only 3 from both direct and indirect free kicks interested me for a split second.

Edited by Deego619

DpPq9D0.png

Most intense FM season I've ever played.

Here was the table during March:

dJHed4O.png

We looked as good as done. This season was dreadful to watch. We weren't bad, but incredibly wasteful in front of goal. We lost 9 games by a single goal.

I'm also making the assumption that morale means more than tactics. As soon we managed to get a result we began to snowball, we were like a different team. We began to finish our chances:

QL3Rx6x.png

Won 6 out of the last 7 in the league, with 2 6 pointers against Gladbach and Bremen thrown in.

vgkk9as.png

An odd season across the league. Dortmund winning the league with 66 points and Bayern not even qualifying for Europe.

Gladbach were relegated despite also playing in the Champions League.

bSk7yQs.png#

Doubt me now

x4kvjQf.png

We have yet to spend anything on transfer fees so far this save. I have the worst board ever.

I have the worst squad ever assembled, absolutely thrown together desperately with any half decent youngster our wage budget could afford:

1CrYYaT.png

PhjP3pp.png

But remaining true to ourselves.

ToTjeDv.png

Our board have finally opened up those coffers. Might be enough to keep me here to see how far I can take this team. Would like to try this approach on an European Elite though.

Edited by Deego619

Look at how Bizarre this is

nG7Uq7P.png

Dead bottom of the league for 3/4 of the season, couldn't buy a win, and we created more goal scoring chances than everyone bar Frankfurt and more than Dortmund who won the league.

Either my players' finishing is broken or what FM defines as a "Chance" is.

A wild conspiracy theory I've had over the years is that there's a certain level of scripting of the ME based on the average attributes of the division you're playing in. For example, if I have a 12/12/12 finishing/composure/decisions striker playing in the Conference North, chances (pun not intended) are that providing he gets the service, will score 30 goals a season easily.

Put this same striker in the Premier League with the exact same chances, and the ball just won't go in. But I guess there's also variance in the quality of goalkeepers too through the divisions.

Again, nothing of substance to prove this, just one of these thoughts that goes through your head.

Edited by Deego619

Could you do the expanded table so that we can see Goals Scored and Goals Allowed? Since:

On 20/07/2020 at 10:57, Deego619 said:

while I do think the definition of "a chance" is pretty shonky; there's a third option here, which is that you scored a ton of goals...and gave up a ton + 20 goals.

ETA: Otherwise known as "doing a Blackpool".

Edited by scratchmonkey

Hey Deego, thanks for this! It's a great example for me on how to keep things simple and not overcomplicate things. I usually overcomplicate the game for myself and that sucks the joy out of it. I just wanted to let you know that this thread has really opened my eyes, together with this excellent thread by Herne

It's threads like this which give me insights in how the game works nowadays and it really gives me much more fun playing the game with this approach. Brings back a bit of the good old feelings I got when playing CM 01/02 back in the days: just put your players where they should be and have some fun.

9 hours ago, scratchmonkey said:

Could you do the expanded table so that we can see Goals Scored and Goals Allowed? Since:

while I do think the definition of "a chance" is pretty shonky; there's a third option here, which is that you scored a ton of goals...and gave up a ton + 20 goals.

ETA: Otherwise known as "doing a Blackpool".

Good point.

QWzI8z3.png

We scored 39 goals, which seems to be about par for the teams around us. 39 goals from 108 chances equals a conversion % of 36%. In comparison to the league champions Dortmund who's ratio was 81 chances to 60 goals, a rate of 74%. 

Definitely seems like my team's finishing was off. Our higher tempo style of play could mean that these were half chances though, unsure of FM's exact calculation of this metric.

2 hours ago, El Butero said:

Hey Deego, thanks for this! It's a great example for me on how to keep things simple and not overcomplicate things. I usually overcomplicate the game for myself and that sucks the joy out of it. I just wanted to let you know that this thread has really opened my eyes, together with this excellent thread by Herne

It's threads like this which give me insights in how the game works nowadays and it really gives me much more fun playing the game with this approach. Brings back a bit of the good old feelings I got when playing CM 01/02 back in the days: just put your players where they should be and have some fun.

No problem! I've actually never seen that thread from Herne and it looks amazing. There's another afternoon gone reading FM for me!

Edited by Deego619

Definitely looks like a finishing problem, then, thanks!

The chances stat is a sum of both Clear-Cut Chances and Half-Chances -- I have 60-odd Chances Created from the Team Stats and then going into the Tactic -> Analysis -> Goal Analysis, I've had 20-some Clear-Cut Chances over my last 50 league games.

On 20/07/2020 at 19:57, Deego619 said:

Look at how Bizarre this is

Dead bottom of the league for 3/4 of the season, couldn't buy a win, and we created more goal scoring chances than everyone bar Frankfurt and more than Dortmund who won the league.

A wild conspiracy theory I've had over the years is that there's a certain level of scripting of the ME based on the average attributes of the division you're playing in. For example, if I have a 12/12/12 finishing/composure/decisions striker playing in the Conference North, chances (pun not intended) are that providing he gets the service, will score 30 goals a season easily.

Put this same striker in the Premier League with the exact same chances, and the ball just won't go in. But I guess there's also variance in the quality of goalkeepers too through the divisions.

Again, nothing of substance to prove this, just one of these thoughts that goes through your head.

Have you set up custom set-pieces? I find that having a good set-piece routine will skew a lot of statistics, including chances created.

On 22/07/2020 at 17:45, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

Have you set up custom set-pieces? I find that having a good set-piece routine will skew a lot of statistics, including chances created.

No we don't threaten from set pieces really either. During that season we scored only 3 corners and less again from indirect free kicks. We did not really have the height or off the ball to challenge here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZSsGZwx.png

A great season.

wlR9ZGh.png

We really should have been much more comfortable than the table suggests, we stumbled over the line.

Bayern reclaim their perch. Dortmund were three points clear going into the final day but lost away to Bremen. Another giant goes down in Schalke. The Bundesliga really throws some surprises on FM.

pd4bhE9.png

Post Qatar 2022 break we really improved in the league, especially with some world class loan deals with Eric Garcia and Walter Pedroni arriving from City and Liverpool respectively.

Going into the Wolfsburg game at the end of April we were only 4 points off Dortmund, we stumbled over the line and gave up wins from winning positions in all of the last 4 games of the season.

u3MQMSy.png

The bookies fancied us not to get relegated which was nice.

Xwm6Hab.png

Lots of shrewd free transfers. Was happy especially with Mustafi and Nketiah.

Davie Selke was a revelation for 1.9m, also Carles Alena was a star.

QnYUkgF.png

We have Maric and Araujo joining us permanently in the summer. Both are key to our style of play and recruitment, which is essentially now "are you aggressive, strong and good in the air?".

OAdUnVv.png

Still the same.

SDMi5LX.png

This actually makes sense now considering we were the top scorers in the division.

5 minutes ago, Deego619 said:

No we don't threaten from set pieces really either. During that season we scored only 3 corners and less again from indirect free kicks. We did not really have the height or off the ball to challenge here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZSsGZwx.png

A great season.

wlR9ZGh.png

We really should have been much more comfortable than the table suggests, we stumbled over the line.

Bayern reclaim their perch. Dortmund were three points clear going into the final day but lost away to Bremen. Another giant goes down in Schalke. The Bundesliga really throws some surprises on FM.

pd4bhE9.png

Post Qatar 2022 break we really improved in the league, especially with some world class loan deals with Eric Garcia and Walter Pedroni arriving from City and Liverpool respectively.

Going into the Wolfsburg game at the end of April we were only 4 points off Dortmund, we stumbled over the line and gave up wins from winning positions in all of the last 4 games of the season.

u3MQMSy.png

The bookies fancied us not to get relegated which was nice.

Xwm6Hab.png

Lots of shrewd free transfers. Was happy especially with Mustafi and Nketiah.

Davie Selke was a revelation for 1.9m, also Carles Alena was a star.

QnYUkgF.png

We have Maric and Araujo joining us permanently in the summer. Both are key to our style of play and recruitment, which is essentially now "are you aggressive, strong and good in the air?".

OAdUnVv.png

Still the same.

SDMi5LX.png

This actually makes sense now considering we were the top scorers in the division.

talk about overachieving :applause:

• 3 weeks later...

Let's update. In the spirit of this thread I've been playing this save but haven't been bothered to update.

o8eUwlT.png

We are now 2-in-a-row champions of Germany.

Last season we were involved in a Treble race with Dortmund, whom true to life have build a crazy good young team.

BZyaiBT.png

We won the league against them on the final day in emphatic fashion, however they knocked us out of the CL and beat us in the Cup final.

m2vF9Qx.png

I made the first change to the tactic of the save last season. DLF -> AF because he did diddlysquat and was a passenger throughout the save. Now my AFs are much more kinky, linking up and scoring together. Support roles on strikers just don't work for higher tempo play in my experience.

Oh yeah and also changed GK distribution because I want my GK to be Ederson. 

I am a fraud.

I feel myself beginning to lose the will to continue the save. The next couple of seasons will just be a grind to win the CL. I might try to add extra laziness by using insta-result in a minor league somewhere, thinking Ireland.