Namepool question

Wolf_pd

We know that adding new playernames to a country will add to the name pool of that country.

But does anyone know if it works vice versa as well? If I move players to a different country that their name gets removed from the old nation?

That would be a fun experiment to be honest, removing all of the players with a particular surname from the list and seeing if the nation keeps generating those surnames. I would presume that names would get removed when a player's nation changes but I have no real basis for thinking that - just a hunch.

1 hour ago, Unknown Hacker said:

That would be a fun experiment to be honest, removing all of the players with a particular surname from the list and seeing if the nation keeps generating those surnames. I would presume that names would get removed when a player's nation changes but I have no real basis for thinking that - just a hunch.

That's the same hunch I have. Something that could throw it off is the way the second nations add names to the name pool (I think), but those are very limited.

And yes, time for an experiment.

I have run a bunch of tests and the way it seems to work is like this

If the name is part of the namepool of the country, you can't remove it.
Removing all players with the Dutch name Jansen will not work in the Netherlands as Jansen is part of the Dutch namepool.

If I want to remove a Serbian name from the Dutch namepool however, I only need to change the nationality of all Dutch players with that name to any nationality other than Dutch.
There should be a small chance that it still happens because of the Second Nation Serbia turning up for a Dutch players, but I haven't seen it happen in several looooooong tests.

6 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

I have run a bunch of tests and the way it seems to work is like this

If the name is part of the namepool of the country, you can't remove it.
Removing all players with the Dutch name Jansen will not work in the Netherlands as Jansen is part of the Dutch namepool.

If I want to remove a Serbian name from the Dutch namepool however, I only need to change the nationality of all Dutch players with that name to any nationality other than Dutch.
There should be a small chance that it still happens because of the Second Nation Serbia turning up for a Dutch players, but I haven't seen it happen in several looooooong tests.

The finding supports what I strongly suspect since quite some time. 

This is why people creating new nations from already existing ones always run into name problems. 

This is also why I've been looking for ways to unlock the 'person name' view for ages. I don't know if it works like I want for sure but I know that there is a box to un-select a name from being used by newgens.. 

Since changing language for a country doesn't change the base name set (as shown in the FM16 Iron Curtain mod with Gibraltar/East Germany), you have to match the nations and the languages.

But there are some local regions who also play a part. The French Pays Basque for instance will add some French Basque names (and keeps the Spanish Basque mostly out of it).

We need access and we need it now :D

• 1 year later...
On 2020. 7. 16. at 오전 12시 58분, Fredrik said:

The finding supports what I strongly suspect since quite some time. 

This is why people creating new nations from already existing ones always run into name problems. 

This is also why I've been looking for ways to unlock the 'person name' view for ages. I don't know if it works like I want for sure but I know that there is a box to un-select a name from being used by newgens.. 

Hi sir. U find the way unlock 'person name' in PGE?