Unexplainable result

48 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

Just take a look at the screenshot. I'm sure you can spot the odd one out :)

590951896_yeahthisgamemakessense.thumb.PNG.ecb4ea3bc3f81da17e162dd7cb92a9cf.PNG

No logical explanation for why this happens in this game. It just does 

what was the match like? they completely dominate or clinical? 

i actually find Everton to be a tough opposition on the game...5-0 is a lot :lol: but depends what your teams body language was after going a couple goals down...you did well to recover though 

4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Liverpool lost at Watford 3-0 earlier this season. 

No logical explanation for why this happens in real life. It just does. ;) 

to be fair, they wasn't on top form before that. They were scraping results like a 1-0 away to Norwich than 3-2 at home to West Ham. Lost 2-0 to Chelsea next game and also lost both legs in the CL against Atletico. They had the warning signs before hand 

3 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

what was the match like? they completely dominate or clinical? 

i actually find Everton to be a tough opposition on the game...5-0 is a lot :lol: but depends what your teams body language was after going a couple goals down...you did well to recover though 

Fairly equal. They probably deserved the win but they only had 1 ccc. Scored 2/3 long shots

11 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Liverpool lost at Watford 3-0 earlier this season. 

No logical explanation for why this happens in real life. It just does. ;) 

Yeah because Liverpool were on a 10 game game winning streak with only one goal conceded.

also Liverpool lost 3-0 not 5-0

Edited by _mxrky

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

Yeah because Liverpool were on a 10 game game winning streak with only one goal conceded.

also Liverpool lost 3-0 not 5-0

It was a bit tongue in cheek in fairness - just clarifying that sometimes things don't always go as you expect in football. Realistically looking at those previous results it's difficult to see too much information, to get a truly comprehensive answer would need to look at the tactical setup/pkm etc. What does appear to be the case is that the team seemed fairly used to taking the lead in matches, so it was rare they chased a game. I would hazard a guess that the extreme nature of the defeat is more down to chasing the game in a highly aggressive manner and being caught out on multiple occasions. Also having a side not used to being in that situation and quickly going from extremely high confidence to having the wind knocked out of their sails so to speak. 

Again though, just speculation based on the limited info. 

6 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

It was a bit tongue in cheek in fairness - just clarifying that sometimes things don't always go as you expect in football. Realistically looking at those previous results it's difficult to see too much information, to get a truly comprehensive answer would need to look at the tactical setup/pkm etc. What does appear to be the case is that the team seemed fairly used to taking the lead in matches, so it was rare they chased a game. I would hazard a guess that the extreme nature of the defeat is more down to chasing the game in a highly aggressive manner and being caught out on multiple occasions. Also having a side not used to being in that situation and quickly going from extremely high confidence to having the wind knocked out of their sails so to speak. 

Again though, just speculation based on the limited info. 

Possible. Still seems weird. Just came back from 1-0 down against Chelsea away to win the game.

1 hour ago, _mxrky said:

What did you do differently in the build up to and during that match compared to the other matches?

3 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

I literally didn’t change a thing. Just went into the match lol.

Exactly, that's my point.

Every team you come up against is different.  Each match is different.  And yet you change nothing.  This means that every once in a while you'll come up against a team who just happens to play in a particular way that is an almost perfect foil to your team, so changing nothing means you get tonked 5-0. 

Now going by your other results (P17 W16 D1 L0, scoring 43 and conceding just 2) you really have no reason to alter how you play because you'll win every trophy.  But once in a blue moon you'll get chewed up.  It's not unexplainable :).

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

Exactly, that's my point.

Every team you come up against is different.  Each match is different.  And yet you change nothing.  This means that every once in a while you'll come up against a team who just happens to play in a particular way that is an almost perfect foil to your team, so changing nothing means you get tonked 5-0. 

Now going by your other results (P17 W16 D1 L0, scoring 43 and conceding just 2) you really have no reason to alter how you play because you'll win every trophy.  But once in a blue moon you'll get chewed up.  It's not unexplainable :).

Well I mean I did make changes in game. Evidently they didn’t work. Just strange how Everton happen to be the only team that can beat my tactic like that 

33 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

Well I mean I did make changes in game. Evidently they didn’t work. Just strange how Everton happen to be the only team that can beat my tactic like that 

It obviously depends on the tactic and your players, but there could be many, many reasons for it. Herne is onto something though, imo. A recent case in my own save was a mid table, unspectacular team who fielded a strange formation (and they were the only ones in the league to use it) and my tactic just couldn't cope. I had to make something specifically for that line up. There could be many other reasons too. It could be that one team just loves to use a fullback who is extremely aggressive in charging down the flank to double up against your fullback. It could even be that it's not that (maybe other teams do it too), but rather that they do it on the left flank and not the right, and that's where you're vulnerable. It's not that they're doing it specifically against you, but rather that they have an attacking fullback on that side and combine with the manager's attributes, that's what he does in his tactics. Apart from tactical issues like you struggle against 3 man defences or 2 strikers (or even 3) or a manager doing something similar to the fullback example, it could also be in player selection or rather, the players they have and use. Maybe they have players (defence or attackers) who are especially good in the air and you struggle against that. Or it could be that they have an extremely fast right winger that your slow left back just can't cope against.

It could be any of those reasons and just one of them, maybe even combined with some complacency and switching off, lets in that first goal. From there, there may be some tactical changes etc so then the match flows very differently to how it 'normally' does.

Where the perceived randomness comes in (assuming it wasn't one of those games where every other shot goes flying in, re: long shots) is the AI, though. In the real world of football, this result would have turned heads. Every other manager would be eyeing what Everton were doing and trying to copy that a little. Furthermore, somebody may have figured out something long before Everton. Something at least a little more deadly than the mighty threat of apparently scoring zero Goals on average. It's just one match sure, but it seems doable, after all. 

In FM, that doesn't come to pass. 

What's more, the Everton manager didn't specifically set up to exploit a found weakness likewise, as the AI cannot do that… this too is about random chance, the opposition squad and the manager's attributes. So in a sense, the game world invites occasionally random swings, plus it promotes complacency when managing too. The result can be heads getting scratched.

Just like here.

Edited by Svenc

On 08/07/2020 at 17:44, _mxrky said:

If you look teams you played before Everton they where lower reputation teams and maybe your morale got too high meaning overconfidence?  What you said after winning game before Everton? Do you handle match preparation trainings or assistant? Not saying game shows or informs overconfidence perfectly and like posters before me said these happens and this is one of the most important things for simulation game. It was a test can u take a hit and get up. :)

Edited by Pasonen