Little FM things that annoy you...

Crap media questions - example umpteen and nine-tenths. The question was after our 3-2 loss to Man Utd, so maybe the guy was being 'polite' but we didn't score in the previous match and were shutout two matches before that:

AnnoyingMedia.thumb.png.aea36e234b3120f33cfe75e37cfa8930.png

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Crap media questions - example umpteen and nine-tenths. The question was after our 3-2 loss to Man Utd, so maybe the guy was being 'polite' but we didn't score in the previous match and were shutout two matches before that:

AnnoyingMedia.thumb.png.aea36e234b3120f33cfe75e37cfa8930.png

The media thing needs a massive overhaul. I really cant even be bothered attending press conferences anymore as its repetitive and some of it doesnt make sense.

Just dealt with a proper cheeky **** agent/player.

Signed a really talented 20 year old midfielder on £80k p/w. He plays out of his skin for 18 months, attracts interest from Liverpool and is interested because of the large pay rise they can offer. I ask him how much he is looking for, negotiate to £170k (makes him my top paid player but he's worth it and doesn't destroy the wage structure) so I agree and say we'll start contract talks.

Go to begin the talks and lo and behold the agent has put in a 'wage rise to £240kp/w after 5 international games' clause that will likely be met in a few months! This would destroy my wage structure and put him on £80k more than anyone else in the squad! So I try and negotiate, no joy, talks break down and now a transfer request.

7 hours ago, KingCanary said:

Just dealt with a proper cheeky **** agent/player.

Signed a really talented 20 year old midfielder on £80k p/w. He plays out of his skin for 18 months, attracts interest from Liverpool and is interested because of the large pay rise they can offer. I ask him how much he is looking for, negotiate to £170k (makes him my top paid player but he's worth it and doesn't destroy the wage structure) so I agree and say we'll start contract talks.

Go to begin the talks and lo and behold the agent has put in a 'wage rise to £240kp/w after 5 international games' clause that will likely be met in a few months! This would destroy my wage structure and put him on £80k more than anyone else in the squad! So I try and negotiate, no joy, talks break down and now a transfer request.

The 'after 5 caps' thing must come in for every wonderkid, I get that a lot as that's my player signings profile.

The 'best' workaround I've found is to offer a higher base and exclude the international caps clause. Alvaro de Wonderama wants 100k and then 175k after 5 caps: offer 125k to start, with no other clauses except annual 5-10% wage hike. If he's a goer who will be around for 5 years+ or get a big transfer fee later it's totally worth it.

16 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

The 'after 5 caps' thing must come in for every wonderkid, I get that a lot as that's my player signings profile.

The 'best' workaround I've found is to offer a higher base and exclude the international caps clause. Alvaro de Wonderama wants 100k and then 175k after 5 caps: offer 125k to start, with no other clauses except annual 5-10% wage hike. If he's a goer who will be around for 5 years+ or get a big transfer fee later it's totally worth it.

Yeah I mentioned these sort of clauses in my first post- some of them are crazy, players coming in £35k p/w but wanting to be on £80k after 25 games (which hardly makes you a regular!) but this one felt extra sneaky as I'd agreed the base salary with him pre offer.

In the end I had to ride out a transfer window of stupid low bids due to the transfer request (valued at £60m, asking price of £100m, highest bid I got was £40m!), talk to him after the window and then give him a new deal at £205kp/w. 

1 hour ago, fivetwelvepony said:

Watching the PSG-Atalanta match yesterday, I couldn't help but think of this thread:

image.thumb.png.5eb3ab2ee87e6a972758dd05bbf5e814.png

Of course, missing this chance makes headline news IRL.

Not to mention the shot went WAY wide.

Just like in FM.

Now on the biggest FM thing that annoys me.

Top of the league, playing against the team in second. Win a hard fought 2-1 victory. Laptop crashes before I save, now I'm on my 4th replay of the game trying to win because no way I'm not having those points after I won the game first time.

Being invited to loads of interviews - even being an odds on choice - and not getting an offer. Obviously an interview shouldn't immediately mean a job, but going 0/5 and answering questions well (or at least I think so ;-) and nada. Think it's been Werder Bremen, Chelsea, Benfica, Man City, and another German team I cannot remember.

I actually don't want to leave Brighton until we've won a league or Champions league title - so I just play through that part of the save to see who gets the job and then resume normal service - but when Benfica came in I was actually going to take it and then have two saves on the go.

Edited by CaptCanuck

Players being effed off about being left out of the Champions League side :-S

We already did this once in Sept and then have to go through the exact same thing again in Feb, with the same players and now need to take 2 months for them to get back onside. I'll take one whingefest, but repeating it? Ugh.

On 14/08/2020 at 08:27, CaptCanuck said:

Being invited to loads of interviews - even being an odds on choice - and not getting an offer. Obviously an interview shouldn't immediately mean a job, but going 0/5 and answering questions well (or at least I think so ;-) and nada. Think it's been Werder Bremen, Chelsea, Benfica, Man City, and another German team I cannot remember.

I actually don't want to leave Brighton until we've won a league or Champions league title - so I just play through that part of the save to see who gets the job and then resume normal service - but when Benfica came in I was actually going to take it and then have two saves on the go.

I really wanted the Napoli job a few seasons ago, but they decided to go with Marcelo Gallardo instead. Good choice, I'd have done the same.

On 14/08/2020 at 11:27, CaptCanuck said:

Being invited to loads of interviews - even being an odds on choice - and not getting an offer.

The application, interview, and selection process takes so much longer than I think it should, especially during the offseason. I applied to a job more than three weeks ago, I have been labeled the leading candidate, my reputation is surely higher than the club's, and yet they still haven't decided on interviews. Big football clubs shouldn't be taking over a month to fill such an important role, let alone start the interview process for it.

7 hours ago, fivetwelvepony said:

I really wanted the Napoli job a few seasons ago, but they decided to go with Marcelo Gallardo instead. Good choice, I'd have done the same.

LOL! Ya Benfica went with Pep and City went with Ancelotti so erm, ya a little more pedigree than manager Johnny Nomates here :-)

Edited by CaptCanuck

'Hi scout, got an assignment for you. I'd like to dig out some hot prospects, youngsters who could be the future of our team.'

'Sure boss- have you heard of this obscure 21 year old? Regular for Barca? Only valued at £70m and on wages of £270k p/w.....'

Two things that annoy me.

1. Pre season fixtures arranged and the 1st  is against a team 4 leagues below, just to dust away the cobwebs and score a few goals for confidence, inevitably their keeper plays like De Gea and saves shot after shot, 38 shots at goal, 21 on target, score 0-3, yes 3 goals only because the keeper saved around 6 guaranteed goals due to being world class.

2. Ball played through the defence, winger/striker picks it up in the box wide of goal, drives towards the byline and does he cut it back for an open goal for his teammate, nope not a chance, he'll have a shot at goal from the stupidest of angles and chance wasted.

How my Inside Forwards manage 11 and 15 goals in my title winning season yet my Striker who doubled their shot count finished with 3. His opportunities weren't as good, you may think: absolutely not. He should have finished with at least somewhere in that region given his opportunities. The previous season was very similar. I should be happy I won the league (Uruguayan Prem) but something about it doesn't feel right watching the games. 

5 hours ago, jc1 said:

Two things that annoy me.

1. Pre season fixtures arranged and the 1st  is against a team 4 leagues below, just to dust away the cobwebs and score a few goals for confidence, inevitably their keeper plays like De Gea and saves shot after shot, 38 shots at goal, 21 on target, score 0-3, yes 3 goals only because the keeper saved around 6 guaranteed goals due to being world class.

2. Ball played through the defence, winger/striker picks it up in the box wide of goal, drives towards the byline and does he cut it back for an open goal for his teammate, nope not a chance, he'll have a shot at goal from the stupidest of angles and chance wasted.

The lack of cutbacks is very annoying to watch. I can only assume the ME doesn't do them to keep the scores down?

My rightside W is both my leading goal scorer and assist getter this season and that's with all these stupid touchline shots - as he is really quick and good on the ball and skins defenders as often as not. If he would sensible pass to my DLF or Mez - based on highlights alone- we'd be good for an extra 12-15 goals I reckon.

When your keeper can't hit 7.00 in ratings all season, despite some fantastic saves, except in a game that I win 13-0 (friendly(, with opposition having 0 shots on goal. Then he can get an 8.4.

Opposition keeper get 5.1 after 12 saved shots (and hardly his fault with all the other 13).

Also annoying that making senior players available for next reserves match, and finding out none of them are used, because the reserves played on the same day as the senior squad. For some reason they become unavailable for that game, even though they are not in my match squad. Only way around this is moving the player to the Reserves before the game.

I can't register my non eu right back, this season, because my HoYD decided to use my last non eu spot on an 18 year who'll likely never make it anywhere near the senior squad.

Oh boy.

Honestly, there should be a way to stop staff using no EU slots without my having to take over all the club's transfer dealings.

Sorry if anything I say has already been mentioned, haven't followed this thread from the beginning, but...

Players getting the chance to score for open goal in a rebound but instead just stand there waiting to be tackled

The season is 25/26. Its April, I'm manager of Liverpool, we've just won our 7 title on the trot. Each of Virgil Van Dijk, Fabinho and Salah say they want a new challenge. Considering they earn a combined £1m a week in wages and are 34,32,33 years of age, this is fine by me.

Salah and Fabinho are sold without a fuss. 

Van Dijk is listed and then offered out with 'selling club pays wages' excluded from deals. PSG make an offer, I accept. He rejects the contract. Barca bid, I accept, he rejects the contract. A few days pass. Leicester bid, but ask that I pay 225k a week as part of the deal. I reject. Van Dijk kicks off - 'you promised I could leave'. In the conversation there's an option for me to reply saying about the wage contribution. 'I don't give a ****' he retorts (essentially). I tell him I'm not being held to ransom, he attempts to incite a rebellion, but they all love me so I quash it. 

Seriously though, wtf!? I've listed him, offered him out and accepted two offers - HE turned them down. How's it my fault!? 

When opposition has a free kick in its own half and then just punts the ball over my defence and they striker gets 1 on 1 with my keeper.  No way that the defence of any team would be so badly positioned to allow that to happen. Doesn't happen often luckily.

Throw in. Player throws the ball, other player immediately passes back to him. He is offside. This was the issue on previous games as well so I'm kind of numb to it now.

Having a week off for no reason somewhere in the middle of the season while I'm already two games behind every other club and now getting this in the last month: 

image.thumb.png.692d1b7bb675936955105dd3f73658e1.png

You should really be able to appeal for a change in match dates. 

12 hours ago, yolixeya said:

When opposition has a free kick in its own half and then just punts the ball over my defence and they striker gets 1 on 1 with my keeper.  No way that the defence of any team would be so badly positioned to allow that to happen. Doesn't happen often luckily.

This happens many times a season for and against me. Defenders are incredibly slow to react and unable to keep position between goal and attacker. Very frustrating.

I hate that the responsibility for friendly arrangements is not covered under the staff responsibilities and has to be toggled under a different menu. If I click to take all tasks, I want to have all takable tasks!

On 22/08/2020 at 03:35, Wavelberry said:

Playing the same ****ing team three games in a row due to league fixtures, cup draws, replays etc

I have noticed that that too. It happens quite often, youre about to play a team in the league, cup draw comes up and you get that same team.

Club vision is to buy young players between 19-23, develop and sell for big profits, while at the same time do well in cups and league, not a problem. Why then does my scout tell me a 28 year old midfielder is worth looking at due to his form and his report puts him as my 5th best midfielder if I signed him, added to that he wants wages that would make him the best paid at the club, erm no thanks scouts are a waste of time.

In a weird conincidence, I've drawn Milan 4 times out of my last 5 Championship group stages.

Press conference question after my latest draw- 'are you excited to manage in the San Siro?'

Mate, I've managed there almost every season. Right now a trip to St Andrews would be more unusual.

Not FM's fault as such; but the 2025 Club Champions Cup - have to waste two weeks of offseason to play in it and because I am not allowed to train until 3 days before the first match, no one is fit because it's been 3 weeks since our last match and then you can only have a 23 man squad and they keep it to 3 subs, which makes it an exercise in preventing guys getting a knock.

Then to dovetail into a common theme we draw Mancity in the QF and Manutd in the Semi, who we 'always' draw in domestic and Euro cups. We're starting to have success against City, but Utd are still largely Sir Alec era Utd.

Oddly/funnily the chairman made winning it a must in club vision and because we won the 3rd place playoff they consider that we won the thing and are happy - while also being disappointed we lost the semi final. A bug, yes, but I'll take it :-)

Edited by CaptCanuck

23 hours ago, KingCanary said:

In a weird conincidence, I've drawn Milan 4 times out of my last 5 Championship group stages.

Press conference question after my latest draw- 'are you excited to manage in the San Siro?'

Mate, I've managed there almost every season. Right now a trip to St Andrews would be more unusual.

Thats happened to me, but with Braga from Portugal. I always get them

Right now I am annoyed by how easily the FA hands out warnings and sanctions over nothing. How can I get close to a pitch ban for (calmly) saying a red card 'seemed a bit harsh from where I was sitting'? 

It is not even an actual criticism, more like a subjective observation and I am coaching in Germany where such things are among the usual reactions over controversial cards in the last minutes that lead to a decisive goal. 

Such responses either need to be severely reworded or get more realistic outcomes — it is no biggie if one remembers usual reactions but it still gets on my nerves!

When you almost play the most successfull football over 45 games during a season, are up to the cl semi-finals with norwich in the third season, win the first leg comfortably, are 3 points up the second place in the pl with 3 matches going on against weaker teams and all of a sudden nothing, but really nothing works anymore and you can't even score against 9 men fulham (already relegated) at home with tactics, which provided you the most goals in pl...

I understand, when the AI plays more cautiously and more defensively against me with increasing success and reputation. I understand that my two tactics won't work that superbly as they have done it before, but come on, it has nothing to do with realism or so if in the last 3-5 games nothing works anymore. I understand if you can not play out chances anymore because you don't adapt to the AI's cautious style, but I have no understanding, if you create 3 CCC's on average in the last two games, had 32 shots on target in the last 2 games and don't score. This game is full of bugs and it takes the joy out of me. This has nothing to do with tactics or bad luck. Its the same in every single save. Usually, when one of my tactics stop working it was always after the winter break when the AI started adapting and playing more cautiously and me trying to find a way. But now it's just disgusting that I have to give up a whole season because of the last games... Imagine, the whole world knows how pep and klopp play but they still break one record after another. It is just without any sense that a tactic becomes so useless from one game to another... 

59 minutes ago, goku4 said:

This has nothing to do with tactics or bad luck

Correct.  In this specific example it probably has more to do with poor man / match management and players feeling the pressure.

1 hour ago, goku4 said:

it has nothing to do with realism

Correct again.  Norwich in the CL semi final and going for the Premiership title in your third season does indeed have nothing to do with realism :D.

6 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Correct.  In this specific example it probably has more to do with poor man / match management and players feeling the pressure.

Correct again.  Norwich in the CL semi final and going for the Premiership title in your third season does indeed have nothing to do with realism :D.

What do you want to tell me now? That I should not overachieve with Norwich because it's not "realistic"? Is that your problem? Do you want others to play like you? And what exactly has your comment to do with things I have mentioned above? It's quite ridiculous how you and some other "experienced" members constantly have a go on people who are doint things that you don't do. What is the problem with me reaching a semi-final with Norwich? If I have set up my team and tactics correctly and have success, is it not my right to overachieve? Is this the way how the game manages flaws in the match engine? Don't tell me about poor man management. What do you know about my current team? The team had high morales each game there were no problems. It's really annoying how people like you defend this game and its flaws by constantly acting like there is no problem and it's all due to us being unable to man manage our teams, to read the game, or to create tactics...

Well, that's it for me. Had taken a distance from the game since the tactic table and sliders were removed. The community here is even more toxic than the FIFA community. It's not worth the time to care anymore.