Little FM things that annoy you...

Every subbed on player missing in the penalty shootout. Seriously the 'drama' and 'surprise' of a player who should be fresh missing a penalty is incredibly boring when it happens in every single shootout ever.

Up there with the usual 'HES SCORED ON HIS BIRTHDAY OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE IT'

Incredibly frustrating nonsense that the game has relied on for far too long

Edited by WelshMourinho

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chairman accepting poor bids for talented players when there is no financial reason to do so. My club is financially secure and i've lost count how many times i had to protest a transfer in one window.

Ai getting battered away from home in a the champions league and then battering you at home, despite not making any change to their tactics (I check formations which shows mentality and roles and duties they are using).

On 14/07/2020 at 13:37, andy_gza said:

4.A missed penalty being the death knell for that player.

Only once recently has this not happened. I'm playing FM19. The player misses a penalty in the first 20 minutes, we go 1-0 down on 30 mins then the penalty misser pops up with as headed equaliser 5 mins from end. IRL the player which conceeds a pen/misses a pen/scores and own goal goes looking for redemption at the other end and almost does it.

5 hours ago, djpdavey said:

Only once recently has this not happened. I'm playing FM19. The player misses a penalty in the first 20 minutes, we go 1-0 down on 30 mins then the penalty misser pops up with as headed equaliser 5 mins from end. IRL the player which conceeds a pen/misses a pen/scores and own goal goes looking for redemption at the other end and almost does it.

Yeah, and it should depend on the player personality if it destroys his confidence or makes him more fired up for redemption. Surely there should be visible difference between let's say a balanced player when he misses a penalty, and a driven model citizen how he reacts to a missed penalty. Only thing that i can see is a destroyed confidence no matter who it is and ergo, uselessness for the rest of the game

When managing a lower league club I always try to gain some income by inviting much bigger teams to play. Who would say a U23 team would want 15,000 to show up at my place OR theirs... 

Just say you don't want to experience farmers football in the middle of beautiful <put.name.of.random.town.here>. 

It shouldn't bother me, but when you have the analysis button on in tactics and you get those lines between players to mean that they have a good partnership.  I just don't get why the Central player and wide player never get lines between each other and that you never get a line between a CM and a ST.  So for example Gullit and Van Basten in this would never have got that link up line that they clearly had at Milan.  If Stevie G played CM and Torres upfront, they would have lost that line.   The defensive four of the Arsenal invincibles would have had a big line across all 4.   At the risk of sounding like Tony Montana, we need some more lines!  Rack 'em up SI!!

probably been mentioned as not read the whole thread but- media including tin pot 'cups' like charity shield and super cups in trebles and quadruples.

also winning multiple big trophies for clubs that haven't won anything like in decades and only being favoured personnel when regen jimmy numbnuts is a legend for playing 100 games and scoring a winner in the JPT final when the club were in league 1!

On 22/07/2020 at 07:17, llDracoll said:

Talking about loans and manager interactions, it's kind of jarring how AI managers give you the cold shoulder when you're asking them about one of your loanees, regardless of how politely you are towards them.

It can potentially go something like this:

You: "You're not using my player as much as you agreed to"

The other manager: "Oh, sorry. I'll try to use them more often."

You: "Good to hear. He can work very well for your team."

The other manager: (NO MATTER HOW THE CONVERSATION WENT) "Gotta go. Bye."

It feels like they mock me.

I genuinely LOLd at that one :-)

I imagine they're on the phone while throwing pencils into the ceiling of their office or booking their summer hols.

The annoying thing is having that same conversation multiple times throughout the season as they obviously have zero interest in doing it. I've not seen those chats genuinely impact my loanees playing position. Playing time yes, but position no.

I put this in the screenshots thread, but really it's more one of those silly annoying things: stupid stupid questions from the media, based on stats other than the final lopsided result. It's silly and small so I can see why they don't devote dev-time to cleaning it up, but the logic around media question generation is ropey.

Our best ever league win, with a starting lineup that was 1/2 rested after Champions League match and where we ended up with 8/11 players of the week. I'd like to be able to 'avoid defeat' like that every week.

2324_BHAvMANU_CounterFormationStandard02.thumb.JPG.6f8c4af81b029372715ff6f9143fb174.JPG

Edited by CaptCanuck

6 hours ago, fivetwelvepony said:

I select "attacking movement" for additional training focus. My assistant coach *immediately* tells me that attacking movement is no longer a weakness. IDK, bro, anticipation was and still is an 8.

Or just the fact they say to stop a certain kind of training because it's no longer a weakness.

Yes, I KNOW it's not a weakness, but I still want him to become better in this particular kind of focus.

Managing in Chile (Union San Felipe - First Division B), the board want me to sign players based in Argentina.  I already have 6 foreigners (max 5 in the squad) and I can't afford to scout outside of Chile.

I tried to sign a player from Chile but the board blocked the deal.  Useful...

This is a petty one but I’m about five years in with Spurs. Harry Kane is still with me and banged in well over 200 goals and over 300 appearances now. Yet every season when he scores against Leicester I get the commentary line of “THEYVE BEEN UNDONE BY ONE OF THEIR OWN!” For heavens sake he played 13 games while on loan there. I’d hardly say that makes him one of their own. 

4 hours ago, ExeChris said:

Managing in Chile (Union San Felipe - First Division B), the board want me to sign players based in Argentina.  I already have 6 foreigners (max 5 in the squad) and I can't afford to scout outside of Chile.

I tried to sign a player from Chile but the board blocked the deal.  Useful...

Yeah, the Club Vision part needs to be polished a bit (they should not block deals when there are rules that prevent their use). I don't find wrong that the board has a strong preference for a certain kind of player (Unión San Felipe's president is from Argentina), but sometimes they turn that preference into an obsession.

On 09/07/2020 at 07:01, Bothan Spy said:

When you regularly see your team have 20+ shots on goal compared to the oppositions under 5 and you end up losing 0-1 more times than is statistically possible!

...so, going against your better judgement, you end up downloading a tactic that exploits the ME because you're sick of losing...

Its so frustrating to me that the only way to really beat this game it seems is to use some tactic that seeks to ruin the ai and the match engine its so frustrating. Shoehorns you into having to play pretty much the exact same way all of the time. Really hope next year they can make it so it isn't like this and you can actually legitimately use other set ups without putting yourself at such a disadvantage.

On 14/07/2020 at 13:37, andy_gza said:

1.players who constantly get high training ratings stats visibly deteriorating. (Not older players)

2.being asked about your relationship with the board every single time you get refused a request.

3.players showing up in scout reports constantly despite removing them from your shortlist and/or discarding.

4.A missed penalty being the death knell for that player.

5.Most of your team talks and shouts provoking either a negative or couldn't care less response.

E.g. Newcastle against man Utd at old Trafford, Newcastle go 1-0 down, I encourage them... furious.

To be honest I've found that the only shouts that seem to work at all are get creative and demand more. All the rest I don't even touch. One that really baffles me is when they get angry when told to push forward, its just bizarre often given the situation. Losing 1-0 at home to a team bottom of the league, want do they want me to say, defend more or something? That one just really confuses me if I'm honest.

On 23/07/2020 at 07:57, DaveMac said:

Agent - we’d like you to make the first offer.

*gulp*
Me - ok. Hey mr director of football can you make a suggestion for me?

DOF - it’s cool I got you fam.

*make DOF suggested offer*

RED RED RED RED

Agent - I cant believe you’d make such a terrible offer. We’re not even going to speak to you now. 🤦‍♂️

Genuinely what is the point of Directors of football on this game? I've never had one ever make a decent suggestion ever. With contracts they always mess it up, whenever a window they always recommend ridiculous unrealistic signings (on a Liverpool save they recommended all Man City players that would never move and would be at a stupid price), never recommend anyone useful. Genuinely when one of your youth coaches or analysts offers for a random player or recommends someone that is genuinely more useful.

3 hours ago, ReadingFan82 said:

Genuinely what is the point of Directors of football on this game? I've never had one ever make a decent suggestion ever. With contracts they always mess it up, whenever a window they always recommend ridiculous unrealistic signings (on a Liverpool save they recommended all Man City players that would never move and would be at a stupid price), never recommend anyone useful. Genuinely when one of your youth coaches or analysts offers for a random player or recommends someone that is genuinely more useful.

LOLz. I didn't have one the first two seasons, then when my TD's contract expired I figured what the heck, I got Juninho (former Borough Brasilian) thinking he'd unearth some top Brasilian prospects... erm, ya no. Jadon Sancho was his 'best' reco, most of the others were late 20s and not worth it for any team. Sacked him and hired Brentford's former DoF. Nice chap, we go golfing sometimes, still waiting for a top tip.

Edited by CaptCanuck

2 hours ago, fivetwelvepony said:

The fortune cookie description, often contradictory, by my coaches. I am pleased to report that the welcoming period had a positive effect on Joe. I am disappointed to report that the welcoming period has not benefited Joe at all. Oh yeah? Care to elaborate?

I've had similar with younger players, one coach says that the positive effects of certain players have been a good influence on him and on  the other hand another tells me the negative effect from certain players have been a bad influence, well which one is it?

12 hours ago, ReadingFan82 said:

To be honest I've found that the only shouts that seem to work at all are get creative and demand more. All the rest I don't even touch. One that really baffles me is when they get angry when told to push forward, its just bizarre often given the situation. Losing 1-0 at home to a team bottom of the league, want do they want me to say, defend more or something? That one just really confuses me if I'm honest.

I agree. Shouts are broken. You can praise the team if up a couple of goals early on without a negative reaction, but that's not where you need to be shouting anything anyway. "Show some passion" can also work if getting destroyed, but you generally continue getting destroyed due to form/morale/luck issues that caused the problems in the first place. "Get creative" and "Demand more" are about the only worthwhile shouts.

1 hour ago, Overmars said:

I agree. Shouts are broken. You can praise the team if up a couple of goals early on without a negative reaction, but that's not where you need to be shouting anything anyway. "Show some passion" can also work if getting destroyed, but you generally continue getting destroyed due to form/morale/luck issues that caused the problems in the first place. "Get creative" and "Demand more" are about the only worthwhile shouts.

Yeah I did notice "show some passion" can work as well. Still should be more than just 3 of the 10 or so shouts being effective at all.

16 hours ago, ReadingFan82 said:

While at Hoffenheim in the higher reaches of the Bundesliga, I had laziness issues so asked my DoF to renew the contracts of my dozen or so out of contract players.  He had negotiations of 14 or so and got a couple of decent Argentinian young players to sign for about £150k per week which was ok.  Fast forward 6 months and the messages come up "X will get an automatic pay rise after his next (5th) international cap".  Yeah thanks mate, they both went up to £300k per week!  I did my own contracts after that...

5 hours ago, north_london_fan said:

When your player misses a penalty and the ball is saved into his path. But instead of hitting it in, he just stands there feeling sorry for himself and lets and onrushing defender clear it.

I've only seen this when he hits the bar or post, which is correct as once a penalty has been taken the taker can't touch the ball until someone else has - this is why he can tap in a rebounded save but must ignore a rebound off the woodwork as to touch the ball would result in a free kick to the defending team.

Playing a top six team and being 4-0 down within 20 minutes, giving away a penalty having a player sent off and just completely falling apart, even though you have one of the best defensive records in the Prem and you are on a winning streak. Absolutely infuriating.

I hear people talk about the number of shots in the context of getting hosed by the match engine, but more generally it seems unrealistic how many shots you can rack up.  What do the creators think about this? I can't say it bothers me, but it is a notable deviation from reality.

As an example, the single game record for shots on goal in the Premier League is 17 since 2003. By my count, I exceeded that six times in my last twenty matches.

2 hours ago, Danchinaski said:

I've only seen this when he hits the bar or post, which is correct as once a penalty has been taken the taker can't touch the ball until someone else has - this is why he can tap in a rebounded save but must ignore a rebound off the woodwork as to touch the ball would result in a free kick to the defending team.

Oh, I see. Yeah, the penalty miss that I had was rebounded off the post. 

On 07/07/2020 at 12:20, Marko1989 said:

Not able to make all substitutions in a friendly match with one click. For example, If you play 5 friendly games  in a pre-season and like me, in 60th minute you want to replace all the players you must go one by one. It would be cool if we could click "replace all players" and then game tries to figure out by position what players it should swap. Of course I don't expect that functionality to be 100% correct but it does annoys me that every friendly match I have to make 11 substitutions one by one. I know it is a small thing.. maybe this option exists already but I am not aware of

cmon man that's just you being lazy lol 

On 09/07/2020 at 02:23, Bothan Spy said:

When you sign a decent young Swiss DC and in its media description it says, "Could be the next Philippe Senderos".

his first game for us in a major defeat to celtic he jumps up hits the ball on purpose with his hand gets a red! I must say he is probably the biggest waste of ***** ive ever seen. ever sense that day Ive hated him 

On 12/07/2020 at 03:28, oblongata21 said:

1. Goalkeeper ratings which make no sense, eg 40 shots on goal, 21 on target, your keeper lets one through and gets a rating on 6.6

2. Repetitive press conferences, not a huge deal, but so boring i end up just letting my assistant take them.

3. Bland stadiums, not a huge deal but would be nice if we had a stadium editor or something.

4. Strikers kicking it straight to  or into goalkeeper in a one on one.

5. Number of new gens with  ridiculously good stats, making the world full wonder kids. Fluid potential ability would help too

Overall i like the game but there's a few things that would make the game more immersive and make it worthwhile playing a long terms save.

this 10000% still happens seen it on many games and on streamers saves online ! lol

13 minutes ago, GianniM said:

Throw-ins deep into your own half that somehow turn into crosses into our own box. Why can't we do that in attack? 

I hate seeing a highlight of a throw-in I have deep in the offensive zone beside the corner flag; I can feel the interception and subsequent 80m+ run down the touchline by the opposition FB/W, that turns into a scoring chance. I'd much rather throw it out for a goal kick so my team can at least get back into position.

19 minutes ago, GianniM said:

Every once in a while you have this game where every shot on target is merely a pass to the opponents' goalkeeper

You sure are getting all my 'faves' here :-)

Does anyone have any idea - apart from it being one of those things - why that happens? They are super annoying, like the player just flicks it up to the keeper so he can sign his autograph on it or something. 1-on-1s where the striker blasts it wide are way easier to take than the gentle flick.

On 29/07/2020 at 20:59, DaveMac said:

This is a petty one but I’m about five years in with Spurs. Harry Kane is still with me and banged in well over 200 goals and over 300 appearances now. Yet every season when he scores against Leicester I get the commentary line of “THEYVE BEEN UNDONE BY ONE OF THEIR OWN!” For heavens sake he played 13 games while on loan there. I’d hardly say that makes him one of their own. 

It was always going to happen, a goal against his former team! Bores me that

18 hours ago, north_london_fan said:

When your player misses a penalty and the ball is saved into his path. But instead of hitting it in, he just stands there feeling sorry for himself and lets and onrushing defender clear it.

That's actually a rule in football. When a penalty is taken, the kicker can't touch the ball until it is touched by another player. Not a bug or anything, genuine rule mate.

The overstuffed inbox, and advice which is pointless and inept.. There are far too many pieces of largely misleading information and suggestions - moving players from one mentoring group to another (for players in another position); suggestions about tactics when tactics are working perfectly; discouraging traits that players are good at; the constant suggestions to "improve the quality" of the coaching/scouting team with people who have worse attributes than what you have...

I think 90% of the unsolicited advice given (mostly in the inbox, but sometimes in-match) could be jettisoned without any difference being made to the game.

11 hours ago, fivetwelvepony said:
On 29/07/2020 at 13:24, llDracoll said:

Or just the fact they say to stop a certain kind of training because it's no longer a weakness.

Yes, I KNOW it's not a weakness, but I still want him to become better in this particular kind of focus.

Or even when you look at their attributes, and it definitely is a weakness.

9 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Does anyone have any idea - apart from it being one of those things - why that happens? They are super annoying, like the player just flicks it up to the keeper so he can sign his autograph on it or something. 1-on-1s where the striker blasts it wide are way easier to take than the gentle flick.

Honestly don't know but it is super frustrating. I don't mind seeing 1 on 1's put wide, over or being saved by a keeper but far too many are basically passed to keeper, often at chest height. Totally unrealistic. 

11 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Or your winger cuts in with the ball he's competent with his left foot but shoots with his right and misses the left hand post by around 5 yds

4 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

That's actually a rule in football. When a penalty is taken, the kicker can't touch the ball until it is touched by another player. Not a bug or anything, genuine rule mate.

But surely if the keeper has saved it, that is the ball being touched by another player so the kicker can tap it in