This is my first time on this forum so I hope that this isn't a stupid question. I have an online save with my friends and we started in the championship and are now in the Prem. I was given Leeds and used a possession tactic to walk the league. However, I've had the hardest time adapting to the prem and am bottom of the two others who got promoted who are fighting for 10th. Is playing tiki-taka just too stupid as a newly promoted side or is my tactic just bad.

My issue is scoring, if I'm playing a team of similar quality I dominate the match and don't concede many chances, but I cant score any goals. I've constantly been reworking my midfield and haven't been able to find a good trio, when last season I had a Regista and then CM(A) and BWM(S). Can anyone help?

FM20_leeds_results.JPG

Fm20_Leeds Tactic 1.JPG

25 minutes ago, mike_stoklasa said:

Fm20_Leeds Tactic 1.JPG

25 minutes ago, mike_stoklasa said:

Is playing tiki-taka just too stupid as a newly promoted side or is my tactic just bad

Honestly, your tactic is not actually a tiki-taka, even though you based it on the tiki-taka preset tactic (for one, using a winger role on both flanks is opposed to the concept of tiki-taka or any possession-based style of football, for that matter).

Overall, the tactic is overly aggressive and defensively shaky, especially for a newly promoted side. 

36 minutes ago, mike_stoklasa said:

My issue is scoring, if I'm playing a team of similar quality I dominate the match and don't concede many chances, but I cant score any goals. I've constantly been reworking my midfield and haven't been able to find a good trio, when last season I had a Regista and then CM(A) and BWM(S). Can anyone help?

Keeping it simple and logical is the best starting point when it comes to tactics. I'll give you an example which you can compare to your current setup (from the screenshot):

DLFat

Wsu                              IFsu

CMat    BWMsu

DLPde

IWBsu    CDde  BPDde  FBat

SKsu

This is a lot more balanced setup of roles and duties, both in terms of space creation and utilization and a compromise between attacking penetration and defensive solidity. I bolded the changes I've made to your roles and duties so that you can notice the difference as clearly as possible.

Instructions-wise, you can start with none at all and then gradually add them one by one as you see fit. That way you'll not just be less likely to make tactical mistakes (wrong decisions) but you'll also learn how to create a sensible tactic in the most efficient possible way ;)

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Honestly, your tactic is not actually a tiki-taka, even though you based it on the tiki-taka preset tactic (for one, using a winger role on both flanks is opposed to the concept of tiki-taka or any possession-based style of football, for that matter).

Overall, the tactic is overly aggressive and defensively shaky, especially for a newly promoted side. 

Keeping it simple and logical is the best starting point when it comes to tactics. I'll give you an example which you can compare to your current setup (from the screenshot):

DLFat

Wsu                              IFsu

CMat    BWMsu

DLPde

IWBsu    CDde  BPDde  FBat

SKsu

This is a lot more balanced setup of roles and duties, both in terms of space creation and utilization and a compromise between attacking penetration and defensive solidity. I bolded the changes I've made to your roles and duties so that you can notice the difference as clearly as possible.

Instructions-wise, you can start with none at all and then gradually add them one by one as you see fit. That way you'll not just be less likely to make tactical mistakes (wrong decisions) but you'll also learn how to create a sensible tactic in the most efficient possible way ;)

Thank you! Is there any resource on this forum about how different IF and W play on S compared to A? I've watched full matches but I couldn't really see much difference in positioning.

I think that the IF and W on (A) will just play further up the pitch and be less involved in link-up play/defending (unless you play a high press). Although I could be wrong, I am not an expert of FM so I would take that with a grain of salt.

4 hours ago, mike_stoklasa said:

Is there any resource on this forum about how different IF and W play on S compared to A? I've watched full matches but I couldn't really see much difference in positioning

There is a description for each role under each duty in the game already (within the tactical creator). However, given that roles interact with one another, their behavior can vary slightly in different tactical setups.