NOOOO! Consortium takeover at Brighton :-S

Well when the chairman had 'sell the club' in his long term vision the next 3 seasons, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but after reading on here how the news comes up now and again without anything coming to pass I'd hoped we'd be left alone down on the Sussex coast, but alas it's not to be.

4 seasons in, we've won the League Cup in season 3 and just won the Europa League in season 4. We're still a long ways off being a 'Top 4-6' side, but want to be the best of the rest, finish top 1/2, and challenge for Trophies. The initial consortium messages are fine to neutral, so I don't think I am getting the sack and the club vision is perfectly reasonable, but after this initial reshuffle, can I expect things to continue 'as normal'?

I've taken pleasure (sadly maybe) in the 'project' side of things working on staying under budget, buy low/sell high, keeping transfers and wages in check. Fusing together both the Poch and Levy side of things to assemble and young, cheap, and cheerful team. All the good stuff has been done without a single transfer fee over 31mil GBP and no player earning a base wage over 100k.

And now I'm worried the takeover will bugger it all up. Especially as they are bringing in two waaaaay-overpriced transfers. Good players sure, but do I really, really need them? IDK?

image.thumb.png.331befe78d8d7f517979fd37a63cbaef.png

image.thumb.png.2b10dde4972132648d2c114d8ebc7f7d.png

If these guys come in at 100k+ is there a chance other players in the squad will start whinging about their wage packets?

My wages were set through the end of my 5th (2023-34) season:

2223_BHA_SeasonEndWages.thumb.JPG.1a267df610f4247bd2df6572750bd669.JPG

2223_BHA_SeasonEndTurnover.thumb.JPG.dadb35128d00c8ec13fd5e88cb74d2ab.JPG

Hmm... OK, so it seems I'm more just having a whinge and maybe I don't have any realy substantive questions :-) And It's cool that FM adds this to the game, but why couldn't they have bought Southampton or Bournemouth.

IMO, if SI were going to add this nonsense, at least give the guy who manages the damn club a chance to interact with the moron who  carelessly spends $$$ on players you may not need or don’t want. 

There are countless threads on this topic.

Some people think it’s a neat new feature. I think it’s an annoying bug. 

14 hours ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

IMO, if SI were going to add this nonsense, at least give the guy who manages the damn club a chance to interact with the moron who  carelessly spends $$$ on players you may not need or don’t want. 

There are countless threads on this topic.

Some people think it’s a neat new feature. I think it’s an annoying bug. 

Ah OK. I did a search via Google - instead of SI's search field - and found them, thanks for that @Heywood JaBlowme. I guess I am 'happy' to not be alone in this.

It's like they've conflated two different things: club takeover + club president elections you have in Spain where someone promises to bring in a big name if they win.

I know I'd much rather have the 150mil transfer kitty than those two players or even say - the new owners will bring in these two players (maybe players Brighton cannot quite tempt normally) or you can have 100mil instead.

As you point out, if the consortium isn't going to sack me (and right after a Europa League trophy they shouldn't) and they are not going to sack my DOF and hire a new one, there should absolutely be collaboration for this kind of transfer scenario.

Edited by CaptCanuck

@CaptCanuck, If you're not happy with the players being forced on you, they can always be moved back to the selling club with the editor. 

The one issue in Spain while coaching Barcelona is the worst of all possible scenarios: that club has an election every 3 years. That means every 3 years a new chairman is going to step in and force a couple of high profile transfers on your club.

The 'AI Chairman' player signings appear to be based on the Assistant's Team Report: "A lack of depth in the Midfield, a weakness at Center back" Etc. So basically, the AI is trying to strengthen your squad immediately without regard to squad development & dynamics: You might have a couple of very talented young players at those positions ready for 1st team football, but the addition of an established superstar to the squad will completely ruin their progress. 

Another example (in case you didn't find it in your search) is where you're at a big club filled with star players. You've already spent an arm & a leg on perhaps the best player in the game at the Transfer Window; yet your new chairman decides he's going to spend even more stupid money on 2 more players who play at the same position as the one you've just spent what amounts to the GDP of a small sovereign country. This is what happened in my Man U save that I posted in the thread started by @Rien102

Apparently SI doesn't think it's an issue but I don't see how it can be anything less than utter stupidity.

Edited by Heywood JaBlowme

Ya I saw your experience. That is bonkers. Whole other scale to mine. 350m on two players you don't need - right after buying the potentially best attacker in the game - really is silly.

Thanks for the tip about the editor.

For a test, right after the signing was confirmed, I transfer listed Butinik and nexted a bunch of days to see what happens. I get loads of interest with media reports of 80-100m offers. I press it by doing a blanket 'offer to clubs' and get a bunch of 56m (his value) offers. So I can punt him to Atletico Madrid and reinvest that if worse comes to worse.

Vignato I'm 1/2 tempted to keep (can double-pivot him with compatriot Tonali), but ideally I would have liked/kept a world class BPD or sweeper keeper. Seems like the takeovers buy 'sexy' attacking players, as opposed to say scanning the depth chart and then buying someone for a category with the lowest star ratings.

Could be worse

I just got bought by someone who turned NUFC into a public limited company, now I dont get enough money for transfers as its all going to the shareholders! Hopefully this guy doesnt stick around too long.

1 hour ago, oblongata21 said:

Could be worse

I just got bought by someone who turned NUFC into a public limited company, now I dont get enough money for transfers as its all going to the shareholders! Hopefully this guy doesnt stick around too long.

Eesh... that would be rubbish. Ya I will take these luxury purchases and hope these owners are on solid footing, that wouldn't be a lot of fun to game out.