I am after some advice regarding defending from the front.

Two things I would like from my tactic are to defend from the front and attack from the back. I am happy with the latter part of that. However, as you can see from the tactic, I currently deploy a False 9 up top. Would a Pressing Forward be a better option?

image.thumb.png.acc3c54ffbb6d4df6067771fd5128385.png

Ignore the players for the time being as that isn't my first choice XI.

Well, none of the forwards have trainable tackling or marking abilities per their default role, of course, so defending from the front will require that particular general defensive training if you want clean, efficient tackles. The offset to that is getting a player with a very strong physical presence in the box. Strength and balance. It also helps if they're naturally aggressive, and brave. The F9 is more of a supporting unit that bobs in and out, making space and such by messing with defenders, and requires fast, agile, and intelligent play. I suppose you could schedule a lot of strength training, or put him on an individual strength regimen, but will he be mentally inclined to perform strong pressing duties? It would be interesting to see how such a player would operate.

Both pressing forwards and target men make can decent natural pressing units in the end zone. Pressing forwards are the obvious choice, but it can be fairly effective to have a monster target man or two up there hard tackling. Could even attempt a tight marking game, having the target men restrict their CD's in their own territory. That could cause some havoc.

Interesting that you want your team to defend from the front but haven't altered the LOE at all. To me it would make sense to increase this as ideally, for this to work, you want to engage with the opposition defenders as soon as possible. If you're playing with a standard or lower LOE you're allowing the opposition time on the ball in defence and are therefore not really defending from the front.

An F9 is more of a creator so will drop quite deep. You can add PIs to increase his pressing, tackling and marking etc, but he will still be playing deeper due to the hard coded behaviour of an F9. If you alter too many PIs then it kind of defeats the object of having an F9 to begin with. I'd certainly look at having him set as a PF as he will look to win the ball back rather than drop deep. If you want him contributing to other aspects of play then a CF might also be a good idea. I'd go with the PF option first though as this role is definitely, in my opinion, more suited to defending from the front.

The fact is that PF as a role will press (and tackle) more aggressively than F9. However, one role alone is no guarantee that it will be enough to press the opposition back-line as aggressively as you are hoping for. Besides, this partly depends on the player(s) involved, not exclusively roles/duties and/or instructions.

What else you can try in order to increase the intensity of defending from the front:

- up the LOE (to higher or even much higher)

or/and

- increase team pressing urgency (to more or even extremely urgent) or apply a split block 

But keep in mind that any of these can have side effects (just like any tactical decision/change for that matter). At the end of the day, it's always about balancing the risk vs. reward. 

2 hours ago, TheGoodRebel said:

Interesting that you want your team to defend from the front but haven't altered the LOE at all. To me it would make sense to increase this as ideally, for this to work, you want to engage with the opposition defenders as soon as possible. If you're playing with a standard or lower LOE you're allowing the opposition time on the ball in defence and are therefore not really defending from the front.

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

The fact is that PF as a role will press (and tackle) more aggressively than F9. However, one role alone is no guarantee that it will be enough to press the opposition back-line as aggressively as you are hoping for. Besides, this partly depends on the player(s) involved, not exclusively roles/duties and/or instructions.

What else you can try in order to increase the intensity of defending from the front:

- up the LOE (to higher or even much higher)

or/and

- increase team pressing urgency (to more or even extremely urgent) or apply a split block 

But keep in mind that any of these can have side effects (just like any tactical decision/change for that matter). At the end of the day, it's always about balancing the risk vs. reward. 

That will teach me to pay attention. I upped the DL instead of the LOE. 

Split block is already set up.

10 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

image.thumb.png.acc3c54ffbb6d4df6067771fd5128385.png

Ignore the players for the time being as that isn't my first choice XI.

But the thought of Origi as a F9 is hilarious! To answer your question, stick with F9, provided it's Firmino, or someone capable of that role, not Origi!

PS - Get Adrian out of your lineup!

1 hour ago, XuluBak said:

But the thought of Origi as a F9 is hilarious! To answer your question, stick with F9, provided it's Firmino, or someone capable of that role, not Origi!

PS - Get Adrian out of your lineup!

Alisson = injured, Firmino = on holiday. It is coming to the end of pre season. I did say ignore the players. 

I'd keep an eye on how the striker 'presses'. It's the one downside to this formation, because he's on his own you'll usually find him charging around the opposition backline trying to win the ball back, but due to being heavily outnumbered the first line of the press will be bypassed. 

10 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Alisson = injured, Firmino = on holiday. It is coming to the end of pre season. I did say ignore the players. 

I know man, I was kidding. I answered your question in there though. If you're pressing, a F9 will work just fine. Definitely one of my favorite striker roles in FM20. You can press with any role. Pressing forwards just have it built into their PI. 

As already pointed out by a few other posters, your LOE and urgency were more likely problematic than your stiker's role as it pertains to pressing.

1 hour ago, XuluBak said:

I know man, I was kidding. I answered your question in there though. If you're pressing, a F9 will work just fine. Definitely one of my favorite striker roles in FM20. You can press with any role. Pressing forwards just have it built into their PI. 

As already pointed out by a few other posters, your LOE and urgency were more likely problematic than your stiker's role as it pertains to pressing.

Yeah, me being the bright spark that I am, moved the wrong one. If I'm totally honest, it's always the SC role that I struggle with. I have got a split block set up though if I start with an F9.