Help with Head of Youth Development/Youth intake

Hi. Looking everywhere I think I have a solid understanding(as much as we can know without seeing code) about youth intake and what affects it. The many facilities, junior coaching, club rep, my HOYD personality, his Judging Potential and judging Ability, Working with Youngsters(?), his Determination(?).

Okay, but I've seen some people that I consider knowledgeable say that HIS REP also matters a lot. In fact, according to them, my Head of Youth Development reputation is one of the most important attributes. What do you guys think about that?
Compare these two:
145810413_CARITFALCH.thumb.png.b1cabb1fdf19c9c6e46209853bc54ee5.png1763810962_JONASTHERN.thumb.png.4893efd6405f6156ce59035b37ef7907.png
Supposedly, the second guy is WAY better given his personality(PROFESSIONAL) over the first (fairly professional) and his reputation(2,5 star) over 0,5 star.
BTW, I know there are way better people in the game to hire, I just started a save with a mid-table club in Denmark.
BTW 2: I'm playing FM2019

I fully admit I don't know how it works either but I prioritise personality and media handling above all else.

Then working with youngsters as he will have to coach them after they come through

As for the rest the higher the better I guess.  My assumption is that the higher the attributes overall the better he will be anyway.  I'm not too fussed on the Judging ability/potential ratings as i'll no doubt have other coaches who can asses players for me anyway and I won't be using him to scout anyone.  Not sure why the game highlights these as important really

Another thing I do like to look for is the lowest coaching badges because in my mind if the attributes are fairly high anyway then if they have room for two or three badges then that will give them room for growth.

I'm sure I read this somewhere and it may not even be factual but it's ingrained in the way I play the game now

So yeah i'd go for the second guy purely based on a better personality, unless his media handling style is confrontational or something difficult like that

Edited by Brother Ben

Out of the two i would go for Thern. But as @Bigpole says the better the personalioty that will filter down into the youth teams and future players he gets for your youth team so take that into account but i tend not to take media handling into account...maybe i should then

4 hours ago, streety said:

Out of the two i would go for Thern. But as @Bigpole says the better the personalioty that will filter down into the youth teams and future players he gets for your youth team so take that into account but i tend not to take media handling into account...maybe i should then

media handling is useful if personality is not 'professional, model citizen etc', because it narrows down staff's hidden attributes.

20 minutes ago, streety said:

but is it not linked to the players that they find and get in to the youth team?

personalities of coaches and hoyd especially can affect newgens personalities when they come to your club on intake day. So that's why personalities are important.

On 11/06/2020 at 18:56, Bigpole said:

personalities of coaches and hoyd especially can affect newgens personalities when they come to your club on intake day. So that's why personalities are important.

They say this.  But my intakes never seem to match my HOYD.

I've heard (I think Zealand?) say reputation is how the HOYD convinces the players to come to your club initially.  From there its all coaching and facilities.

Ignoring what you've asked there is only one possible choice out of those two....

jt.thumb.jpg.a57ada4abd1fb6183ebe5d0a176ef74e.jpg

But to put my 2 pence worth in, I always look for personality first then playing style followed by JPA.

But as someone said I did watch a Zealand video the other night and after personality he says rep is the most important to lure the youngsters to the club so I'm gunna give that more consideration moving forward.

But ALWAYS personality first and foremost.

1 hour ago, petertr said:

But my intakes never seem to match my HOYD.

You'll get a message in your inbox stating that they HoYD has had influenced a couple of youngsters with his personality. I can't remember the exact wording though.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

You'll get a message in your inbox stating that they HoYD has had influenced a couple of youngsters with his personality. I can't remember the exact wording though.

You do.  Its only a couple.   And when I checked my last lot, they didn't match him either lol

7 hours ago, petertr said:

I've heard (I think Zealand?) say reputation is how the HOYD convinces the players to come to your club initially.  From there its all coaching and facilities.

I'm calling bs on that, reputation of your hoyd is not important (if it is please enlighten us), only his personality, because he can influence type of players (along with his fav formation/style) that comes into your club. 

Facilities, youth coaching and youth recruitment are the most important factors (apart from youth rating of a nation), unless we'll be proven otherwise by SI Staff.

My mic is on the way from china, and when it comes - I'll be debunking all these myths around youth intake etc on my YouTube channel. Because I watch sometimes fm youtube related channels and it boggles my mind sometimes.

12 hours ago, Bigpole said:

I'm calling bs on that, reputation of your hoyd is not important (if it is please enlighten us), only his personality, because he can influence type of players (along with his fav formation/style) that comes into your club. 

Facilities, youth coaching and youth recruitment are the most important factors (apart from youth rating of a nation), unless we'll be proven otherwise by SI Staff.

My mic is on the way from china, and when it comes - I'll be debunking all these myths around youth intake etc on my YouTube channel. Because I watch sometimes fm youtube related channels and it boggles my mind sometimes.

Would be interesting to hear from SI officially on this.

(I'm assuming Forum Mod doesn't equal "knowledge of source code here?)

Edited by petertr

1 hour ago, petertr said:

Would be interesting to hear from SI officially on this.

(I'm assuming Forum Mod doesn't equal "knowledge of source code here?)

Here's official SI Staff statement, it's more like a confirmation rather then 'source of knowledge'. I believe there are some very minor factor that can influence youth intake (known only to coders) but I did tests of my own, and things posted there are the main factors. 

It's only my observation for now but I believe club reputation can influence newgens current ability, but I need more testing on that.

18 hours ago, petertr said:
20 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

You do.  Its only a couple.   And when I checked my last lot, they didn't match him either lol

Your HoYD influences a few players in your youth intake, bringing them closer his personality. He does not make them match his personality outright.

2 hours ago, Bigpole said:

Here's official SI Staff statement, it's more like a confirmation rather then 'source of knowledge'. I believe there are some very minor factor that can influence youth intake (known only to coders) but I did tests of my own, and things posted there are the main factors. 

It's only my observation for now but I believe club reputation can influence newgens current ability, but I need more testing on that.

From that article: "The HoYD will also influence the rare “freak” or exceptional Newgens that come through, modifying their ability and style."

It doesn't say which attribute of the HoYD influences the ability.....

Edited by petertr

14 minutes ago, petertr said:

It doesn't say which attribute of the HoYD influences the ability.....

This is my go to thread for HoYD info -

Some fantastic posts in here, especially from Seb and Herne.