Ajax 2018/19 4231 in FM20

This is the thread I've hoped to see! To add some context, I've just taken the Ajax job in 2024 and my intention is to have a young, technical squad capable of playing as an Ajax team can. I've set up a 433 formation & a 4231 based on the team from last season. Quite luckily I have a DM/CM who could take up the Frenkie De Jong role with enough attention and training. I will be keeping an eye on this thread closely that's for sure. Also interested to see the dynamic of the front 4 you suggest. 

4 hours ago, DanP123 said:

This is the thread I've hoped to see! To add some context, I've just taken the Ajax job in 2024 and my intention is to have a young, technical squad capable of playing as an Ajax team can. I've set up a 433 formation & a 4231 based on the team from last season. Quite luckily I have a DM/CM who could take up the Frenkie De Jong role with enough attention and training. I will be keeping an eye on this thread closely that's for sure. Also interested to see the dynamic of the front 4 you suggest. 

Hopefully I can explain it in a way that makes sense for you, as you will see in later updates the front four is working like a treat.

Looking forward to your thread. 

I have an Ajax save which I enjoy very much and I use it for tactics and other stuff. It's going really well, except against the bigger clubs in the champions league which I understand. 

My 4-2-3-1 Tactic

dmySUi2.png

The idea is to create overloads on the left side of the pitch, an idea I learned from a creator called @crusadertsar found here: https://dictatethegame.com/2019/06/14/creating-overloads-in-fm19-a-guardiola-masterclass/.

That is why there are only support mentalities there as well as the inverted wing back and the underlap. I then attack with speed on the right. The key to this is to have the winger, BBM, DLP, IWB and BPD with the Like to switch ball to other flank trait.

Quincy Promes is surprisingly good in this game.

The Eredivisie

Spoiler

QdOf34x.png

Results

Spoiler

DzhFasu.png

Squad view

Spoiler

vilryjl.png

Anyways, I just saw the thread and have recently been experimenting with on my own.

Edited by AceCream

21 hours ago, AceCream said:

Looking forward to your thread. 

I have an Ajax save which I enjoy very much and I use it for tactics and other stuff. It's going really well, except against the bigger clubs in the champions league which I understand. 

My 4-2-3-1 Tactic

dmySUi2.png

The idea is to create overloads on the left side of the pitch, an idea I learned from a creator called @crusadertsar found here: https://dictatethegame.com/2019/06/14/creating-overloads-in-fm19-a-guardiola-masterclass/.

That is why there are only support mentalities there as well as the inverted wing back and the underlap. I then attack with speed on the right. The key to this is to have the winger, BBM, DLP, IWB and BPD with the Like to switch ball to other flank trait.

Quincy Promes is surprisingly good in this game.

The Eredivisie

Reveal hidden contents

QdOf34x.png

Results

Reveal hidden contents

DzhFasu.png

Squad view

Reveal hidden contents

vilryjl.png

Anyways, I just saw the thread and have recently been experimenting with on my own.

Very nice setup and use of the roles and duties whithin the game, will probably make a post with the current Ajax squad to go full circle with this thread as the players in their squad is basically the same makeup of player types as last year. As for the overload tactics go I also do enjoy them and very much recommend @crusadertsar for players wanting to learn the principles of overloads aswell.

As for the struggling against bigger sides I have the same thing as I try to play a very fluid high tempo football where we are exploitable on the counter, although this season we have really started well and as of this post not lost yet. Also I like the fact that you give the young players in the squad the chance to play some decent amount of first team football.

The tactial setup of roles and duties and what I want to see from each player is coming tonight in an update to the original post, and more in-depth game analysis is coming most likely later on this week or perhaps at the start of next week depending on how much time I have to play :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Karlo said:

Hi @Zendahl are you going to continue with this? Really interesting read so far. :thup:

I have fiddled around with this doing some tweaking, but been busy at work.

However I will continue this thread now that I have more time on my hands for sure @Karlo

• 1 month later...