Come on Greece, The thread of the surprise team of the EC 2004

bigguk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loza:

Charisteas the No.9? He looked fb until he got into the area. Couldn't shoot at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though i still believe that Papadopoulos would have been more useful and would have caused more problems to the slow and unorganized Portuguese defensive line with his pace, i have to admit that Charisteas did a great job playing as a right winger and as a striker at the same time. I don't rate himm that much TBO but he's still quite young and he has the potential to improve significantly over the next years. Some of you might also remember that he was the one to open the score with a fabulous strike in the England - Greece (2-2) match for the 2002 world cup qualifying phase.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valerón pushing for place

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Iñaki Sáez has hinted that his match-winning substitute, Juan Carlos Valerón, may have forced his way into Spain's starting XI to face Greece in Porto on Wednesday. "It's a long tournament and I will make some changes," the Spain coach said.

Russia beaten

Spain won their opening Group A game against Russia on Saturday thanks to Valerón's second-half strike, moments after he had come on as a substitute, and the RC Deportivo La Coruña attacking midfield player could now keep his place at the expense of Fernando Morientes.

'One goal'

"Every player is important and it doesn't matter who is in the first team," Valerón said. "We only have one goal - to win matches." Sáez is also considering starting Xabi Alonso in central midfield alongside David Albelda, with Rubén Baraja the man to make way as he did in the second half against Russia.

Confidence high

Confidence in the Spain camp is high, but after losing at home to Greece in their qualifying campaign - a defeat which forced Sáez's men into a play-off with Norway - no one is taken anything for granted. "I don't want to choose an opponent for the quarter-finals. We are concentrating solely on the next game," Valerón said.

Revenge mission

Winger Joseba Etxeberria feels Spain are ready to make amends for that reverse. "We know almost everything about Greece," he said. "We are very excited about this match because we want to avenge the defeat in qualifying. We have to be patient and let our quality tell as we will almost certainly qualify for the next round if we beat Greece. However, we are ambitious and want to finish first."

Surprise success

Greece pulled off the upset of the tournament so far by overcoming hosts Portugal in their Group A opener, and after seeing France come from behind to shock England in added time on Sunday night, defender Raúl Bravo has warned against complacency.

On guard

"Football is always a surprise," said the left-back. "France's victory is useful for us because it showed that we cannot be relaxed at any moment." Russia take on Portugal in Wednesday's other Group A encounter.

©uefa.com 1998-2004. All rights reserved.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

«You made us all proud»

Hundreds of e-mails have been sent to epo.gr (info@epo.gr) following the National Team΄s victory over Portugal in the opening match of EURO 2004. Fans from Greece and all over the world offer their congratulations and express their admiration for Greece΄s success.

«You made all Greeks proud», «You tied us up to this huge victory», «You are the talk all over Greece», «We are with you», are some of the e-mails epo.gr receives on a daily basis. It should be noted that e-mails come in from Serbia, China, Norway, Turkey, Belgium, USA, Australia and Canada.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zissis Vryzas΄ confutation

Zissis Vryzas made the following statement on account of articles which have been published in Italian Press today:

«After completing yesterday΄s training program, whilst I was on my way to get on the team bus late, an Italian journalist came asking me to say something about the club I play with, Fiorentina. I said that I don΄t have the time to make a statement because the coach and my team mates are waiting for me to get on the bus. The journalist misquoted what I said to him and reported back that I am not interested in Fiorentina. This is absolutely untrue. I care for my club very much, I love it and I think about it. I also talk with my team mates and club officials on the phone every day.»

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Rehhagel΄s press conference

Tomorrow, Tuesday, 15/06/2004, at 15:00 (local time,) Mr. Otto Rehhagel will hold a press conference at «Bessa» stadium. According to schedule, one hour later, at 16:00, the training session of the National Team -of access for the Media for 15 minutes- will take place at the same stadium. Today, Monday, 14/06/2004, the internationals will go into training at «Rio Ave» stadium at 17:30 (local time). The session will be of access for the Media.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ensign Greco:

wasn't it funny that both Figo and Deco suggested that they did not deserve to lose? icon_biggrin.gif

apparently according to Mr Deco, the score doesn't reflect the game...and Figo thinks Greece had only two chances and scored two goals. icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously they find it difficult to bear the pressure. They have to blame someone or something, either it's bad luck, refereeing decisions or us cheating and playing ultra-defensively. I can understand their frustration: they're playing in front of their fans, the pressure on them is enormous and to be honest it's the last chance for most of their players to win a major trophy with their country.

We should concentrate on our next games. If we manage to get a point against Spain then i reckon we should be able to get out of the group. The most important thing is not to take for granted that Russia is going to be an easy opponent. I watched them against Spain and they were pretty impressive attacking-wise.

Come on Greece getting getting a draw against Spain!! icon14.gif

I am happy with two 0-0 draws that will take us into the next phase.

only problem is that if we qualify second-places, we will face France (worse team for our style, we will get illegaly raped big-time) whereas England would be a better opponent.

We must strive for first place in our group icon_biggrin.gif

If Portugal and Russia draw tomorrow,then even if we lose to Spain (more than natural imho) we can go through with a single point against Russia! Great,aint'it?

Now Ensgin we really aren't in the position to choose our next round opponent!If we make it,that alone would be beyond our wildest dreams! After that,bring on the Frenchies icon_biggrin.gif Then Zidane will learn what it's like to face the great sportsman and fair-player that is Giorgio Karagouni icon_wink.gif

Mostovoi expelled by Russia

Aleksandr Mostovoi has been dismissed from the Russia camp after criticising the team in the Spanish press.

Press complaints

The midfield player has been accused of telling a Spanish newspaper that Russia's 1-0 defeat in their opening game against Spain was due to a strenuous training schedule set up by coach Georgi Yartsev. The RC Celta de Vigo player has been expelled from Russia's base camp at Vilamoura.

More to follow

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greece target Spain scalp

Greece are relishing their new role as the surprise package of UEFA EURO 2004â„¢, and aim to add the scalp of Spain to that of tournament hosts Portugal. That was the opinion of striker Themistoklis Nikolaidis when he addressed the press 48 hours before his country's second Group A game against the Spanish in Porto.

'Prove it'

As a Club Atlético de Madrid player, Nikolaidis is aware of the strengths of Greece's opponents at the Estádio do Bessa Século XXI, yet he refuses to be cowed by their reputation. "Spain have better players than us and are a better team but they will have to prove it on the pitch," he said.

Revenge factor

Greece, of course, reached the finals by finishing above Spain in their qualifying group, thanks largely to a 1-0 victory in Zaragoza last June. Of a Spanish desire for revenge, Nikolaidis said: "That's not a problem for us. They are the favourites, but names on shirts don't win matches." He did, however, single out Juan Carlos Valerón and Fernando Torres, his Atlético team-mate, as "their most dangerous players".

Danish example

The 30-year-old forward appeared as a second-half substitute against Portugal on Saturday, having struggled with a calf injury in recent weeks. However, he is ready to help his country emulate another UEFA European Championship underdog in 1992 winners Denmark. "The Danes are a good example - they were not the best team then but they did some spectacular things and I don't think they were better than we are now. I am not surprised by our performance - we have been together for two years and know each other's game very well."

'Stay focused'

However, Greece midfield player Vassilios Tsiartas warned against getting carried away by the defeat of Portugal. "It is great that the world is talking about us now, but that does not mean they will be talking about us after the Spain game. We have to stay focused on the task at hand," he said.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nikolaidis: «Building a new, more prestigious Greece image»

After the completion of today΄s (14/06/2004) training session of the internationals in «Rio Ave» stadium, Demis Nikolaidis made a statement referring to the match against Spain on Wednesday, as well as, the «secret» of the National Team as to their latest achievements. In detail:

«I feel very well now. I am 100% ready. As to the match against Spain, the fact that I played in their championship during last season has nothing to do with it. All that matters is good performance on the field. All the players of the National Team are experienced ones. If Torres and Valeron don΄t play on Wednesday, it will surely be to our advantage. The match against Spain is more difficult than the one against Portugal, because Spain are a stronger team. Our biggest weapon will be our defence. Before last Saturday we had little chance to beat Portugal. For the last two years we have been trying to build a new, more prestigious image for Greece «shirt». Nothing has changed after this victory. Still, it has been the greatest moment in our careers. We will go onto the field to play Russia and Spain hoping for the best. There is not a special secret for our success. We play as a team and we do our best. Having luck on your side certainly helps.»

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roundooooooo:

If Portugal and Russia draw tomorrow,then even if we lose to Spain (more than natural imho) we can go through with a single point against Russia! Great,aint'it?

Now Ensgin we really aren't in the position to choose our next round opponent!If we make it,that alone would be beyond our wildest dreams! After that,bring on the Frenchies icon_biggrin.gif Then Zidane will learn what it's like to face the great sportsman and fair-player that is _Giorgio Karagouni_ icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's really funny is that we might qualify even if we lose both of our next two games! If Portugal beat Russia and lose to Spain (not that difficult to happen) we might end up having the same points with Portugal but we will have the advantage over the hosts.

As for our opponent in the quarter-finals, i too think that England will be a lot easier for us to handle. France are a very pacey team and they play a lot from the sides. England is also a quality team but their style is more similar to that of ours and it could be a close game provided that we give 100% of our strength. Anyway, it is a bit premature to think of what could happen in the quarter-finals. Even getting out of the group will be much more than we had hoped for in this tournament!

As for the game with Spain, i've heard that Karagounis is doubtful and that it will be very difficult for him to be fit on time (this will be a HUGE loss for us IMO). Here are the probable starting lineups:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

|-------------------------------------------------------|

| Casillas |

| |

| |

| Helguera Marchena |

|Puyol Raul Bravo |

| |

| |

| |

| Albelda |

| Xabi Alonso |

| |

|Etxeberria Vicente |

| |

| Raul |

| |

| |

| Torres |

| |

| Nikolaidis |

| Charisteas |

| |

| |

| |

| Giannakopoulos Lakis |

| |

| |

| Basinas |

| Zagorakis |

| |

| |

|Fyssas Seitaridis |

| |

| Kapsis Dellas |

| |

| |

| Nikopolidis |

</pre>

Greece continue glory bid

Greece are looking to complete an unlikely double over Iberian opposition as they face Spain in their second Group A game four days after upsetting host nation Portugal.

Impressive win

Otto Rehhagel's team claimed their seventh consecutive victory in competitive matches on Saturday, beating Portugal 2-1 with goals from Georgios Karagounis and Angelos Basinas. And having finished above Spain in their qualifying campaign - securing an impressive 1-0 win in Zaragoza on the way - they go into Wednesday's fixture at the Estádio do Bessa Século XXI in Porto full of confidence.

Finest hour

Prior to Saturday's shock result, Greece had never scored a goal in a major tournament, let alone claimed a victory, so it was hardly surprising that several players, including captain Theodoros Zagorakis, described it as the greatest moment of their careers.

Fully focused

But Rehhagel, their German coach, has been working hard this week on keeping his players' minds focused. "Beating Portugal was a great achievement but it will mean less if we fail to qualify for the quarter-finals," he warned.

Duo fit

Rehhagel is unlikely to tamper significantly with his lineup, although defender Nikolaos Dabizas and forward Themistoklis Nikolaidis are both fit again. Dabizas, who has recovered from a back injury, will step in should Rehhagel revert to a five-man defence, although Traianos Dellas and Mihalis Kapsis are expected to continue their partnership if Greece stick with their 4-1-3-2 formation.

Striking options

The midfield will be anchored by Zagorakis, while Basinas is likely to play in the centre, Stylianos Giannakopoulos on the left and Karagounis on the right. In attack, Rehhagel could opt for the canny Nikolaidis and not Zisis Vryzas as Angelos Charisteas's strike partner. "I am 100 per cent fit and ready to play," Nikolaidis, who has shaken off a calf strain, said on Tuesday.

Old friends

Nikolaidis knows the Spanish players better than most having played for Club Atlético de Madrid last season, and has singled out Juan Carlos Valerón and Fernando Torres, his strike partner at Atlético, as the danger men.

Looked lively

Torres looked lively when he came on as a substitute in the 1-0 win against Russia, but should start on the bench. He nevertheless had a word of encouragement for his club-mate Nikolaidis, saying: "We speak on the phone every day. I told him Greece would beat Portugal 2-0, although I'm not making the same prediction for Wednesday!"

Chance to start

Valerón also had to be content with a substitute's role in the first game but after scoring the winner just 36 seconds after his introduction, is due a promotion. Spain coach Iñaki Sáez hinted that the RC Deportivo La Coruña playmaker would replace Fernando Morientes, with Raúl González advancing into the centre-forward position.

Centrally strong

Sáez believes his two wingers, Vicente Rodríguez and Joseba Etxeberria, hold the key to success, emphasising the importance of attacking Greece down the flanks. "They are very strong through the centre and if we try to go through the middle we'll have problems," he said.

Keeping quiet

The coach has strayed from his traditional policy of announcing his side on the eve of the game, explaining that naming the composition of his strike force could help Greece decide whether to play with two or three central defenders. He did, however, confirm that he would not change his system, which means Spain will line up in a 4-2-3-1.

Joaquín fit

Central defender Carlos Marchena could be replaced by César Martín after picking up a yellow card against Russia, while Xabi Alonso is expected to take Rubén Baraja's place in central midfield to provide a further attacking option. Meanwhile, winger Joaquín Sánchez has recovered from an ankle injury and should take his place on the bench.

Greece (probable): Nikopolidis; Seitaridis, Dellas, Kapsis, Fyssas; Zagorakis; Giannakopoulos, Basinas, Karagounis; Nikolaidis, Charisteas.

Spain (probable): Casillas; Puyol, Marchena, Helguera, Raúl Bravo; Albelda, Xabi Alonso; Etxeberria, Valerón, Vicente; Raúl González.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Otto Rehhagel: «Greek football should capitalize on this success»

Greece National Team Head Coach, Otto Rehhagel, held a press conference today, in view of tomorrow΄s match against Spain. The press conference started with the following statement:

«After the end of the match we were happy and enjoyed the success, but after Sunday evening we remain focused, since we have the very difficult match against Spain ahead of us. We need to be physically and mentally on guard. Naturally, after the victory everybody hopes, just as we do, for the team to qualify for the next phase. We mean to make the best of this opportunity.»

After making the statement, Mr. Rehhagel answered to Greek and foreign journalists΄ questions:

Are the players who have been facing problems fit yet? Do you think that after such a demanding effort the players will be ready for tomorrow΄s match, or you are going to make changes to freshen up the team?

«All the players are fine. Dellas had some minor complaints, but he went into full training yesterday. We will reach our decision as to whether we΄ll change something or not later on.»

Which Spain players trouble you the most? Can you make a comparison between tomorrow΄s encounter and last Greece΄s winner against Spain?

«I will not make reference to individual players, the whole team is an excellent one. Spain play with a flowing ball circulation. We have played Spain twice. In Athens match, the one we lost, we gave a very good performance and in the one we won we were a bit lucky too.»

Articles published on Saturday refer to Mr. Rehhagel as «the ace up Greece΄s sleeve». Can you identify with that? Are you aware of the fact that Tsiartas has made an appeal against AEK FC decisions?

«As to myself, I can say that I am very experienced. I tell my players that I cannot score a goal, but I can share my experience, I advice them, and if they play accordingly we will succeed. My players are in seclusion at the hotel. Problems that have to do with the clubs stay out. All that counts here is the National Team.»

Have you been informed of what is going on in Greece following the victory over Portugal? Do you think that the players will be able to concentrate on the next match after such a great success?

«The Minister (of Sports) has given me a call, as well as the Prime Minister and Mrs. Gianna Angelopoulou. From that very night and on we have been focused on the next match, the players accept that, they are professionals.»

Have things changed as to Greek football and Greek coaches following this success?

«I have discussed Greek football with Mr. Gagatsis many times. I have told him that Greece has not the population of Germany, Greece are 10 million people. We should take Portugal -which has the same population- as an example. We should focus on infrastructure, training, we should capitalize on this success. Coaches should be watching EURO 2004 matches and learn from it.»

How did you manage to implant German mentality into the minds of Greek players? Why do Spain consider Greece such a difficult opponent as to defence?

«We have made a 23-player choice for these matches. Each and every one of them is useful. Useful to the team. We have established some rules and we comply with them. Men need no more than men themselves! I don΄t know whether Spain hold us in high esteem or not. Our abilities, our characteristics will have to work onto the field.»

Summing up, Mr. Rehhagel said: «Portugal were beaten at home -in the inaugurate match of the tournament too- by our team. They cheered, they treat us in an excellent way. I hold them in high regard and respect.»

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sáez silent over selection

An uncharacteristic mood of secrecy surrounded the Spain camp today as Iñaki Sáez put the finishing touches to preparations for his side's second Group A game against Greece at the Estádio do Bessa Século XXI tomorrow.

Veil of secrecy

Sáez revealed that changes were likely to be made to the team that beat Russia 1-0, but the normally forthcoming coach was otherwise reticent. "I've talked to my assistants and they advised me not to reveal the lineup," Sáez said. "Greece are used to adapting to their opponents' way of playing. If we were playing Brazil, I would have disclosed the lineup because Brazil would not make changes in light of my selection."

'Lots of options'

It is the first time since he took charge that Sáez has not announced his side the day before a match. "We are going to follow the Russian system. Their coach only announced his lineup 30 minutes before kick-off," he said. "The Greeks have been analysing this game for a long time. We have a lot of options up front and that's why I won't disclose the first eleven."

Complete respect

Sáez, mindful of the 1-0 home defeat by Greece in qualifying that forced Spain to contest a play-off against Norway, has complete respect for Otto Rehhagel's team, who beat Portugal 2-1 on Saturday. "This is the most disciplined Greece side I have seen," he said. "They are very hard to beat. They will defend and look to win the game on the break - that's why it is important for us to score as early as possible."

'Raúl fit'

The only question mark surrounding the Spain squad has been the form and fitness of captain Raúl González, who was substituted late on against Russia. But the coach did his best to dispel the doubters. "He is fully fit," he said. "There is no reason for controversy."

'No room for change'

Despite the veil of secrecy, Sáez did admit that he would stick to the 4-2-3-1 formation that prevailed against Russia. "There's no room for changing the system," said the 61-year-old. "I did it once, against Armenia in León, and it didn't work. You are silly if you repeat unsatisfactory experiences."

Double substitution

One experiment that did work for Sáez against Russia was the double substitution of Fernando Morientes and Rubén Baraja for Juan Carlos Valerón and Xabi Alonso. The latter pair now have a chance of appearing when their coach finally reveals his selection as kick-off draws near in Porto.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Preparation concluded

The Greek National Team΄s preparation for tomorrow΄s match against Spain has been uneventfully concluded. All the internationals went into training for one hour at «Bessa» stadium, thus, everyone is on call for Greece΄s EURO 2004 Final Round second match.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greece - Spain 1 - 1

28' Morientes

66' Charisteas

Charisteas stops Spain surge

Group A rivals Spain and Greece remain on course for the quarter-finals after they followed up their opening UEFA EURO 2004â„¢ victories by drawing an intense encounter.

Scintillating football

Spain were made to toil hard in the afternoon heat by a determined Greece team, but still took the lead with a clinically-taken Fernando Morientes strike just before the half-hour. Iñaki Sáez’s team went on to play some scintillating football but failed to kill Greece off and paid a price when Angelos Charisteas levelled matters midway through the second half.

Unchanged team

Sáez named an unchanged team, with Juan Carlos Valerón starting on the bench again despite his goalscoring cameo against Russia in Saturday's 1-0 win. Rubén Baraja and David Albelda continued their alliance in midfield, while Raúl González and Morientes played up front, supported by wingers Joseba Etxeberria and Vicente Rodríguez.

One switch

Greece made one alteration from the side that upset Portugal 2-1, with Konstantinos Katsouranis replacing Angelis Basinas in midfield. There was no room for fit-again Themistoklis Nikolaidis, as Zisis Vryzas and Charisteas kept their places in attack. Spain started brightly but with Katsouranis following Raúl's every move and Theodoros Zagorakis doubling up on right-back Georgios Seitaridis to stifle the threat of Vicente, space was at a premium.

Work ethic

Raúl escaped the attentions of Katsouranis for long enough to pick out Raúl Bravo's run into the penalty area on 14 minutes, but the full-back was denied by a splendid tackle from back-tracking forward Charisteas, epitomising the Greek work ethic.

Morientes opener

The one-way traffic continued as Greece defended in numbers, and Iván Helguera had already squandered a chance from Vicente's free-kick when Spain took the lead on 28 minutes. Mihalis Kapsis lost possession to Raúl on the edge of the penalty area and the Spain captain cut the ball back for Morientes, who jinked inside Katsouranis before striking a low shot past Antonios Nikopolidis.

Vryzas volley

The goal injected more urgency into Greece's play and Otto Rehhagel's team finished the first half on top, with Stylianos Giannakopoulos, in particular, breaking forward well, but Vryzas's wayward volley from the right side of the penalty area after 42 minutes was the closest they came to drawing level before the interval.

Fractionally wide

First-half bookings for Spain defender Carlos Marchena and Greece's Georgios Karagounis rule them out of the concluding Group A games on Sunday but the action showed no sign of slowing after the break. First Raúl headed Carles Puyol's pass over the goalkeeper's head but wide of the post, then Zagorakis hit a raking, long-range shot fractionally wide at the other end.

Gaps appearing

Greece sent on Nikolaidis and Vasilios Tsiartas to try to unsettle their opponents, and Zagorakis soon stung the palms of Iker Casillas with another powerful drive. The game began to open up, with gaps appearing on the flanks, and Raúl headed over after substitute Joaquín had picked him out unmarked at the far post on 54 minutes.

Charisteas leveller

Dellas looped a header on to the roof of the net from Tsiartas' corner on 64 minutes, but two minutes later Greece were level. Tsiartas showed fantastic vision to pick out Charisteas in the penalty area with a crossfield pass, and the SV Werder Bremen forward control it instantly before squeezing his shot under Casillas.

Curling cross-shot

Spain strived to find a winner in the closing stages, throwing on Fernando Torres for the last ten minutes, but Joaquín's curling cross-shot wide of the far post was their most dangerous moment as Greece held out for a precious point.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

---------------------------------------------

| G W D L + - df P |

|...........................................|

|Greece 2 1 1 0 3 2 1 4 |

|Spain 2 1 1 0 2 1 1 4 |

|-------------------------------------------|

|Portugal 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0 |

|Russia 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0 |

</pre>

\o/ icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demis Nikolaidis:

ELA MORI AROSTIA

Let's go Greece...

We can qualify !! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we already have qualified!! icon_biggrin.gif

Match Statistics

Greece Spain

1 Goals scored 1

9 Total Shots 11

2 Shots on target 2

2 Corner kicks 15

19 Free kicks conceded 21

16 Fouls committed 20

2 Offsides 1

5 Yellow cards 2

0 Red cards 0

20' Ball Possession 28'

42 Ball possession % 58

</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimka:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demis Nikolaidis:

ELA MORI AROSTIA

Let's go Greece...

We can qualify !! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we already have qualified!! icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you need to brush up on your arithmetic icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

I think you need to brush up on your arithmetic icon_confused.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by jimka:

Not really. If Portugal finish with exactly the same points as Greece then we have the advantage because we have beaten them!

If Portugal beat Russia then the standings will look like this:

Greece 4

Spain 4

Portugal 3

Russia 0

Russia will have nothing to play for and we couldn't care less about what happens in the Iberian derby. No matter what, we will finish above either Portugal or Spain

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As i've said in the other thread, if Portugal beat Russia, then the only way for us to be eliminated will be Portugal beating Spain and us losing to an indifferent side by at least 2 goals. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimbhoy:

Yes, I am well aware of the final games BUT you have not ALREADY qualified.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch or you may be left with egg on your face. icon_smile.gif

Football...it's a funny old game, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. Mathematically we haven't gotten out of the group just yet. It's just that the possibility of us not getting what we need against an indifferent Russia appears, from my point of view, slim. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimka:

Yes, I am well aware of the final games BUT you have not ALREADY qualified.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch or you may be left with egg on your face. icon_smile.gif

Football...it's a funny old game, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I have already posted Russia are not indifferent but will only care for a draw since they will get a prim if they don't lose in one of their games. They need a draw we need a draw... its settled

You're right. Mathematically we haven't gotten out of the group just yet. It's just that the possibility of us not getting what we need against an indifferent Russia appears, from my point of view, slim. icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oops. I wrote in the quote boxicon_biggrin.gif

As I have already posted Russia are not indifferent but will only care for a draw since they will get a prim if they don't lose in one of their games. They need a draw we need a draw... its settled

This part is mine

My opinions on the match as a Greek...

Joaquin is simply amazing. The guy did circles around our defence.

I would say I was disappointed with the defending when Raul got the open header. The Spanish goal was a clear mistake by Kapsis but the Raul header was a collective mistake and must be avoided in the future.

Traianos Dellas and Theodoris Zagorakis were fantastic today. I thought both players were our MVPs for both matches, though Dellas in my opinion should have won man of the match against the Portuguese.

Vryzas has to be taken off. He is simply non-existent. And his tackling is a cr*p excuse because we don't really pressure in defence. In my opinion, Papadopoulos should be playing as he has the best pace from our 4 strikers. Nikolaidis is a good player to bring in as a substitute because he runs like a lunatic and is extremely determined. The guy in both matches was seen in our penalty box defending, and then straight away on the other side of the field attacking.

Why did Basinas not play?!?! I guess it worked out well because he is more fresh and will replace Karagounis who is suspended on Sunday.

Despite Tsiartas' beautiful assist, he shouldn't start against Russia. He is lazy and does not have the stamina to last an entire match. It seems Giannakopoulos will miss the Russia match and I am curious to see who will replace him.

Seitaridis did not play good today!

As for our final game, we must be careful. We have a lot of players on one yellow card and let's hope they keep it that way, since it will be erased in the quarter-finals. It will be a nightmare if we have 2/3 suspensions in our quarter final match. Key players such as Zagorakis, Charisteas, Dellas all have bookings and with the amount of defending we do as well as the strictness of the referees in this competition, we must be careful.

Russia will be missing Mostovoi, their main goalkeeper and their main defender. The latter is probably their biggest loss, since Russia's backup goalkeeper was simply amazing and I hear he's only 18!!! However, he is inexperienced so we hopefully can use that to our advantage. The game will be tough. We are accustomed to playing defensively and using counter-attack, but playing against a team of equal calibre or who is theoretically inferior, we would need to play more attacking, requiring us to open up. Such a style of game does not suit Greece, but we'll see what tricks Rehhagel has up his sleeves.

And a question to finish off, if Greece lose to Russia and Spain lose to Portugal on equal scorelines (let's say 1-0), who will qualify in 2nd place, Spain or Greece? If goal difference and goals for are the same? Would it be Spain since they have a higher ranking in the UEFA coefficients??

I couldn't agree more with you about Vryzas. Sure he can hold the ball better than Papadopoulos or Demis but this is probably the ONLY positive aspect of his game. When you decide to play a relatively slow forward like Charisteas up front, then you have to pair him off with a pacey striker, namely either Papadopoulos or Demis. Vryzas gave everything he's got in both games but this is simply not enough for a competiton of such a high level. In addition, Papadopoulos has showed at Panathinaikos that he can contribute greatly in the defensive needs of the team he plays for. I could do nothing but admire him chasing the defenders or the keeper in order to force them to make a turnover.

Oddly enough, i was thinking the same thing about Basinas. He could have been really usuful in the midfield with his endless running at the opponents and in a way reducing the pressure that was being applied to the defense.

Actually i think Tsiartas might prove rather usufull against Russia. Remember that this time WE must be looking for a goal, not the Russians. They might be happy with a draw and Tsiartas could help us a lot with his great through balls and technical ability.

About Seitaridis, let's not ignore the fact that he had to keep an eye to Vicente who was a constant threat from the left so i'm not disappointed that he didn't take up many offensive initiatives.

One other important thing is that yellow cards get erased after the 3rd group game but if a player is shown a yellow card in the game against Russia and reaches the limit then he will be suspended for the quarter final!

Finally, to answer your question, if Portugal beat Spain 1-0 and we lose to Russia 1-0 then we will go through because we will have scored more goals than them (Greece 4, Spain 3).

icon_smile.gif

what is sad is that whereas in any other country we would be cheered madly for being a weak underdog overachieving, in this case and because we won Portugal (and there's a chance they stay out), we'll have 50000 portuguese fans booing us in every game.

Celebrations all over Greece

Unrepeatable celebrations were taking place in Greece yesterday, right after the match Greece vs Spain, which ended in 1-1 draw. Thousands of people were out in the streets in Athens, Salonica and the rest of the Greek cities, celebrating Greece΄s new major success. Omonoia square in Athens and the White Tower in Salonica were in the spotlight crowded with people cheering. Greek flags were hung in every balcony and people were driving around tooting horns all over Greece.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Otto Rehhagel: «We deserved this point»

In the press conference following Greece vs Spain match Mr. Rehhagel denoted:

«We played passionately in this match. That΄s the reason for the players getting cautioned during the first minutes of the tie. It troubled me but I took my chances and kept them all in the game. We had to take some risk to come to 1-1. It΄s true that during the last 15-20 minutes they pressured us very hard and we could not take initiative. We will work on this one. This is another major success for us, if we don΄t qualify it will be a pity. These boys deserve it, the team deserves qualifying. I know Greeks get their hopes up easily but we will have to play Russia just as we did with the two previous matches. We really want to succeed, we really want to qualify.»

After the end of today΄s training session Mr. Rehhagel made the following statement:

«We are happy with the result against Spain but not completely satisfied. We got cautioned very early in the game and there was danger of having some player sent off. That΄s the reason for substituting Karagounis. With ten players on the field it would have been very difficult to change the scoring. We deserved the draw point because we worked hard for it in this match. Today the players are going to get some rest, see their families, but in the evening we will group at the hotel and start working again. I hope we have made Greek people very happy.»

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greece players΄ statements

Greece internationals expressed their satisfaction after the end of the match against Spain. They also denoted their determined will to qualify for the next phase and showed that they are already focusing on the match against Russia.

Zagorakis: «All these years with the National Team and football in general, I have never had the chance to feel as proud as I have been feeling today. Being able to bring such joy to all Greek fans, especially those living abroad, gives one a unique and indescribable emotion. We don΄t think that we have become a super-team. We have been working and building on it step by step, day-by-day, and in the end of this journey we will evaluate what we have achieved. Now we are focusing on the match against Russia, in order for us to come to a complete success. I consider our run very successful so far, since we have faced the favourites of the group remaining unbeatable.»

Fyssas: «It was a difficult match. Spain are an excellent team. I am glad we made our fellow Greeks proud. We came to a hopeful result, but we still have one more match to play. We did everything in our power to keep the score unchanged and we have earned the respect of the whole sports world.»

Tsiartas: «I would like to see Greece and Spain both qualifying for the next phase. We may have been lucky, but we played brilliantly too. Spain were better, but we knew exactly what we wanted and how to get it. We came here to give it our best shot and prove we can make it.»

Vryzas: «Although Spain created more opportunities than we did they did not deserve to win. We were left behind during first half-time, we knew it was going to be hard to make it, but we were waiting for the right moment to equalize, just as it happened. This result gives us substantial hopes for qualifying.»

Giannakopoulos: «It was a tough game, Spain are a very dangerous opponent. Joaquin and Vicente tried to make it difficult on us, but we managed to come off and get the precious draw point. Spain did not create really impressive opportunities, but they had ball possession for longer spells. This result is the best answer to all those claiming that we don΄t have the ability to reverse. Players΄ maturity and experience has been influential in coming to this result.»

Nikolaidis: «Spain are a much stronger team than Portugal. I did my best but I was not up to my powers. We came to this result owing to Mr. Rehhagel΄s tactics, our courage and efforts. Before the match Torres was saying that the it would end in 0-0 draw. I said 1-1. I was right. Let us not talk about qualification yet, we are focusing on the match against Russia now, and we΄ll see what happens afterwards. Eventually, something really good happened in my career, now that it is coming to an end.»

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kapsis΄, Nikopolidis΄, Karagounis΄ and Venetidis΄ statements

After the end of the match Greece vs Spain Michail Kapsis, Antionios Nikopolidis, Georgios Karagounis and Stylianos Venetidis commented on the draw, underlined the heartiest support from Greek fans and referred to the possibility of qualifying for the next phase. In detail:

Kapsis: «Although we were left behind we were able to counteract, equalize and keep the score unchanged till the final whistle was blown. We had luck on our side, but we have to work and make a concentrated display in our next match. Coach instructed us before the second half-time to play attack and avoid mistakes. We all want to dedicate this game to Greek fans. We thank them for their support.»

Nikopolidis: «We proved that we deserved the win over Portugal. We are a team that can resist and get what we want. We adjust our tactics to the way every match unfolds. During second half-time we went after scoring with all our power. Now we are focusing on the next match. I had put great effort in training and with the help from my team-mates I made it.»

Karagounis: «I hope that we will qualify and this is going to be a present from my team-mates to me, since I will not play in the next match. We made a mistake in defence and conceded the goal. Despite the pressure they put on us after equalizing we managed to come to a great result.»

Venetidis: «The win over Portugal and the draw against Spain were two unique successes. We have achieved results that have no match in the National Team΄s record. Greek fans΄ support gives us courage and passion to go on. The greatest gain is that we have come to be more self-confident and realized that we are not short of any other team. It is not without a reason that so many Greek footballers are playing in European championships. We will go on aiming at bringing Greece at the highest level possible.»

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russia - Portugal 0 - 2

7' Maniche

89' Rui Costa

Portugal restore home pride

Hosts Portugal restored their UEFA EURO 2004â„¢ hopes as goals at either end of a thrilling encounter from Maniche and Rui Costa gave them a hard-fought win and ended Russia's dreams of reaching the knockout stages.

Improved Portugal

Maniche seized on his FC Porto team-mate Deco's pass after seven minutes to fire in the first goal before Rui Costa converted fellow substitute Cristiano Ronaldo's cross one minute from time as Portugal bounced back from their opening match defeat by Greece with a much-improved display. Russia had to play for more than 45 minutes with ten men after goalkeeper Sergei Ovchinnikov was sent off on the stroke of half-time for handling the ball outside the area.

Bulykin dropped

Both starting lineups revealed surprises. Russia's two enforced changes were no shock with Dmitri Loskov and Aleksei Bugayev coming in for the expelled Aleksandr Mostovoi and the suspended Roman Sharonov. But Georgi Yartsev's decision to drop Dmitri Bulykin and play FC Zenit St. Peterburg youngster Aleksandr Kerzhakov in attack supported by his fellow 21-year-old Marat Izmailov raised eyebrows among the Russian minority at the Estádio da Luz.

Porto quintet

Luiz Felipe Scolari provided yet more surprises. The decision to introduce Deco for Rui Costa in the playmaking role was expected but the defensive cull that saw Paulo Ferreira, Rui Jorge and Fernando Couto supplanted by Miguel, Ricardo Carvalho and Nuno Valente was less predictable. The net effect was that Portugal had five players from UEFA Champions League winners Porto lining up against club colleague Dmitri Alenichev.

Maniche strikes

That Porto combination worked to wonderful effect for Portugal after just six minutes. The ball was worked to Deco from a Luís Figo free-kick and Porto's adopted son drilled a dangerous low ball into the box. Club colleague Maniche controlled superbly before firing into the bottom corner beyond Ovchinnikov for his first international goal.

Smertin booked

Russia were rocked and pinned back in their own half, their frustration heightened when defensive linchpin Aleksei Smertin received a booking after 16 minutes ruling him out of the final Group A match against Greece. Minutes earlier, Russia had briefly lifted the siege on their goal but Alenichev was crowded out in the area after fine approach play from Loskov and Kerzhakov.

Triple stepover

Portugal were struggling to translate their lion's share of possession into chances but upped the tempo approaching the half-hour mark when Carvalho headed over and then Pauleta narrowly failed to reach Figo's cross, delivered after the Portuguese captain had delighted the crowd with three stepovers. Then after 31 minutes Deco volleyed wildly over from close range and, seven minutes later, Maniche and Deco almost played in Pauleta only for a fine interception by Bugayev.

Ovchinnikov off

Portugal were quite literally given a helping hand on the stroke of half-time when Ovchinnikov was sent off after handling outside his area as he raced from his goal to deny Pauleta. The talismanic goalkeeper was expelled and Evgeni Aldonin was sacrificed as reserve keeper Viacheslav Malafeev came in but Russia escaped further censure when Figo curled the resultant free-kick wide.

Stubborn Russia

Malafeev was forced into action five minutes after the restart when he dived full length to his right to turn away Nuno Valente's powerful drive. But Portugal were struggling to exploit their numerical advantage and the increasingly influential Andrei Kariaka flashed an effort across the face of goal and then stung the fingers of Ricardo with a fierce shot as Russia refused to accept their fate meekly.

Malafeev magic

Nuno Gomes and Rui Costa replaced Pauleta and Simão Sabrosa as Portugal sought greater urgency and the changes almost brought instant reward after 64 minutes. An excellent move saw Nuno Gomes forward Deco's pass to Figo but his shot was brilliantly turned on to the post by Malafeev with Deco seizing on the rebound only to fire the ball over the bar.

Deco drive

Russia pushed hard for an equaliser but failed to threaten Ricardo's goal even after the introduction of Bulykin. Instead Portugal exploited the increased space and their own late replacement Ronaldo crossed for Rui Costa to score and seal a deserved victory.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greece lose Giannakopoulos

Greece will be without midfield player Stylianos Giannakopoulos for their final Group A match against Russia after he pulled a calf muscle against Spain yesterday.

Karagounis suspendedGiannakopoulos limped off after 49 minutes of the 1-1 draw in Porto, which left Greece well placed to reach the quarter-finals. His injury will complicate matters in the Greek midfield ahead of Sunday's match as Georgios Karagounis will also be absent after he collected a one-match ban after receiving his second yellow card of the tournament.

Rehhagel warning

Greece and Spain have four points at the top of Group A with Portugal a point behind in third place. The fact Greece now face a Russia side already eliminated from the tournament while Portugal and Spain face off in Lisbon is reason for optimism but coach Otto Rehhagel warned that nothing had been achieved yet.

Step by step

"We are going step by step and nothing has been won yet," he said. "Everyone thinks we are in the second round but it's not true. We must concentrate and come out fighting on Sunday." Greece captain Theodoros Zagorakis concurred, saying: "Mathematically, we're not through yet. We have to get the result we want against Russia. Nothing has finished although we do have an advantage."

Discipline

Rehhagel said he was satisfied with the draw against Spain but was less happy with some of the challenges his players made during the match, which earned them four yellow cards - including the one on Fernando Morientes that has left Karagounis suspended. "We exaggerated a bit in our man-to-man battles," the coach said. "Karagounis could have received a red card and that would not have allowed us to get a draw."

Key ingredient

According to Themistoklis Nikolaidis, however, passion is a key ingredient in Greece's success. "We had soul and our secret is that we fight for the full 90 minutes," he said. Greece will hold a closed training session tomorrow at five o'clock (18.00CET) before heading down to the Algarve to prepare for Sunday's fixture in Faro-Loulé.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Group A

Results

Day 2

-----------------------------

Greece - Spain 1 - 1

Russia - Portugal 0 - 2

</pre>

Standings

| G W D L + - df P |

|Greece 2 1 1 0 3 2 1 4 |

|Spain 2 1 1 0 2 1 1 4 |

|Portugal 2 1 0 1 3 2 1 3 |

|Russia 2 0 0 2 0 3 -3 0 |

</pre>

Top Goalscorers

-----------------------------------------------

|Basinas 1 Greece |

|Charisteas 1 Greece |

|Karagounis 1 Greece |

|Maniche 1 Portugal |

|Morientes 1 Spain |

|Ronaldo 1 Portugal |

|Rui Costa 1 Portugal |

|Valeron 1 Spain |

</pre>

Upcoming Matches

Day 3

------------------------------

Spain v Portugal

Russia v Greece

</pre>

Here are the possible group A scenarios:

Group A Possible Scenarios

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Greece beating Russia: Greece will finish either 1st or 2nd. If Spain do not beat Portugal Greece will finish 1st. If Spain do beat Portugal then it will all be up to the goal difference (currently: Greece +1, Spain +1, Greece has the advantage for having scored more goals). If the goal difference of Spain's victory over Portugal is exactly the same as the goal difference of Greece's victory over Russia then Greece shall finish 1st.

<LI>Greece drawing with Russia|: Greece will finish either 1st or 2nd. If either Portugal or Spain win then Greece will finish 2nd. If Spain draw with Portugal then Portugal will be eliminated, Greece will have the same points as Spain and again all will be up to the goal difference between Spain and Greece. If Greece and Spain have the same goal difference and have also scored the same number of goals then Spain will finish above Greece for having finished with more points in the qualifying groups of the 2002 WC and the 2004 Euro.

<LI>Greece losing to Russia: This is the ONLY way for Greece to be eliminated. If Spain beat Portugal then Spain will finish 1st and Greece will finish 2nd. If Spain draw with Portugal then Spain will finish 1st and Greece will finish 2nd. If Portugal beat Spain then Spain will have the same points as Greece and once again everything will be up to the goal difference - goals scored between Spain and Greece.

Also, now that things have become more complicated in Group B, we can't be certain if finishing 1st will get us against England.

«We have not qualified yet»

After completing today΄s training session, Themistoklis Nikolaidis, Theodoros Zagorakis and Michail Kapsis made statements to the Press, pointing out that the National Team have not qualified yet since there is one more match to be played on Sunday, the one against Russia. In detail:

Nikolaidis: «We are very close to the dream coming true. Spain proved they were better than us and I consider them the favourites for qualifying. We try for the best possible result in every match, we deal with each one separately. Now we have to beat Russia and we΄ll see what comes after that.»

Zagorakis: «At this point we have not qualified yet. We will have to wait until Sunday, nothing is over yet. Of course we are in a favourable position. There is always some possibility to fail and we will have to eliminate it as much as possible. The match against Russia will be a difficult one.»

Kapsis: «We have not qualified yet. We have to keep our feet on the ground and remain focused. The match against Russia will be a difficult one. The fact that they reached this point tells us that they are a very good team. We shouldn΄t get our heads swollen, we mean to prove that the results against Portugal and Spain were not a fluke.»

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two players sat out training

Traianos Dellas and Stylianos Giannakopoulos did not go into training at Villa do Conte this morning. Giannakopoulos has pulled a calf muscle, but the magnetic tomography did not show any pathological findings, whilst Dellas has a thigh complaint from an old injury. Both players underwent hydrotherapy and physiotherapy, whilst the rest of the team went into full training.

Tomorrow, 18/06/04, the internationals will have their last training session at Villa do Conte and in the afternoon they will depart from Porto to Faro, where the match Russia vs Greece will take place. Tomorrow΄s training session (10:00 am) will be of no access for the Media.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The National Team in Faro

The players of the National Team arrived at Faro airport at 18:25 this evening coming from Porto. The internationals went straight at the hotel they are going to stay. Tomorrow, Saturday, 19/06/04, at 18:30, Mr. Rehhagel will hold a press conference at «Algarve» stadium, where the match Russia vs Greece is going to take place, whilst, the training session of the internationals has been scheduled for 19:30 and it will be of access for the Media for the first 15 minutes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fabio:

How come they say Greece haven´t qualified yet? icon_confused.gif

Isn´t the head-to-head record that determines which team go through when level on points? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you can read in the post with the possible scenarios, if we lose to Russia by 2 or more goals and Portugal beat Spain, say 2-1, then Portugal along with Spain will go through.

icon_smile.gif

Yep...but Greece might not qualify if spain loses to Portugal and Greece loses to Russia...

Spain and greece will be tied for 2nd and their head to head record is a draw so it's all down to goal differences then with greece currently ahead for having scored more goals...If it's all level after that (say greece lose 1-0 and spain lose 2-1) It's down to the fifa rankings so spain goes through...

small chance but it is a possibility

Greece ready to point the way

Greece supporters are ready to throw an almighty party should their team get the point they need against already-eliminated Russia on Sunday to qualify for the quarter-finals of a major tournament for the first time in their history.

Virtual standstill

Downtown Athens came to a virtual standstill shortly after 8pm on Wednesday when Angelos Charisteas crashed the ball under Iker Casillas to seal a 1-1 draw for Greece against Spain and leave Otto Rehhagel's side sitting pretty atop Group A. Restaurant owners stopped serving during the tense 24 minutes that remained, cars honked their horns and red flares were seen hurtling from rooftops throughout the capital.

Joyous scenes

Those joyous scenes were matched by the 2,500 Greeks inside Porto's Estádio do Bessa Século XXI, who celebrated with their heroes long after the final whistle. There will only be 1,500 Greek fans in Faro-Loulé, as many pessimistic supporters bought packages that included tickets for the first two games only. Unsurprisingly, travel agents in Greece have already been inundated with requests for quarter-final trips.

Rehhagel caution

Rehhagel has understandably been trying to keep his players focused this week, saying: "Everyone seems to think we are through, but nothing has been achieved yet." Hellenic Football Federation president Vassilis Gagatsis, meanwhile, also remained coy. "I don't mind who we get," he said. "We'll gladly take on France, Croatia or England - the most important thing is that we get through."

Midfield absences

A victory would guarantee Greece top spot and a meeting with the Group B runners-up, but they go into the game without two influential midfield players: the suspended Georgios Karagounis, and Stylianos Giannakopoulos who has a calf problem. Rehhagel should keep the same back four after central defender Traianos Dellas, outstanding against Spain, shook off a minor back injury.

Similar les

As against Spain, Konstantinos Katsouranis and Theordoros Zagorakis will play midfield holding roles, while Vassilios Lakis is set for his first start on the right and Angelos Basinas must fight it out with Vassilios Tsiartas for the left midfield spot. Striker Zisis Vyrzas has not yet scored in Portugal but should hold off competition from Themistoklis Nikolaidis to partner Charisteas in attack.

Difficult task

Russia coach Georgi Yartsev has the difficult task of lifting his side who are yet to score a goal in Portugal and will return home whatever the result on Sunday. To make matters worse he is without three key players, as goalkeeper Sergei Ovchinnikov and captain Aleksei Smertin are suspended and Aleksandr Mostovoi has been sent home.

Timely return

Viatcheslav Malafeev will continue in goal after his assured second-half performance against Portugal, while Roman Sharonov makes a timely return from suspension to replace Smertin in central defence. Right-back Vadim Evseev could lose his place to FC Krylya Sovetov Samara's Aleksandr Anyukov, who made his international debut last month, but Dmitri Sennikov is set for his third game at left-back.

Striking change

Yartsev may opt for two up front rather than one. Aleksandr Kerzhakov and Dmitri Sychev, who Yartsev fears are too similar both in style and stature, would be the popular choice, although the coach might prefer the powerful Dmitri Bulykin. Evgeni Aldonin will be dispensed if Russia revert to a four-man midfield, with Dmitri Alenichev playing in the centre alongside Dmitri Loskov or Igor Semshov. Vladimir Bystrov is being tipped for a role on the right side, with Andrei Kariaka continuing on the left and Marat Izmailov dropping to the bench.

Greece (probable): Nikopolidis; Seitaridis, Dellas, Kapsis, Fyssas; Zagorakis, Katsouranis, Tsiartas/Basinas, Lakis; Vryzas, Charisteas.

Russia (probable): Malafeev; Anyukov, Sennikov, Sharonov, Bugayev; Alenichev, Loskov/Semshov, Kariaka, Bystrov; Kerzhakov/Bulykin, Sychev.

Referee: G Veissière (FRA)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rehhagel eyes 'great chance'

Greece coach Otto Rehhagel has said tomorrow's final Group A match against an already eliminated Russia side may prove a pivotal moment in Greek football history.

Draw enough

"Tomorrow is a great chance for the Greek team and Greek football," he said at the pre-match press conference. Greece, who top the group along with Spain on four points, need just a draw to secure their first appearance in the quarter-finals of a major tournament.

Focus needed

But Rehhagel insisted success would only come about if his men reached the same levels of concentration they had in their previous games when they beat Portugal 2-1 and drew 1-1 with Spain. "As with the matches against Portugal and Spain, we must be fully focused and display the same passion if we are to get the result we want," he said.

Maximum effort

"I told the players that I've played against the Russians several times and that they are very difficult to beat. Perhaps some people think we're already through to the second round but that's not the case. We have to give our maximum to beat them because the Russians are very good players."

'Big mistake'

Rehhagel pointed to the remarks made by Russia coach Georgi Yartsev, who pledged that his own team would be doing their utmost to win. "Let's not forget that my Russian counterpart said that if the Greeks think it will be a friendly match they'll be making a big mistake."

Pride in performance

Yet even if Greece fail on Sunday night, the 63-year-old coach said his men could still take pride in their achievements. "So far the team have performed very well and we will be very disappointed if we don't qualify. But even if we don't, we can still say we did very well."

Duo out

Greece will be without key midfield player Stylianos Giannakopoulos, who pulled a calf muscle in the match against Spain, and playmaker Giorgos Karagounis who is suspended. But the German coach is unfazed. "We have 23 players and if two of them can't play that should not be a problem. All the players have to prove why they are here," Rehhagel said.

Lakis chance

Rehhagel is expected to stick to his 4-4-2 formation even though the absence of the two aforementioned midfield players will force him to reshuffle the pack in the centre of the pitch. A likely scenario could see AEK Athens FC player Vassilios Lakis on the right and club colleague Vassilios Tsiartas on the left side of midfield.

Dellas worry

The coach should field the same defence even though there are still some concerns about the condition of central defender Traianos Dellas. The tall defender missed training yesterday because of a back problem but he should be ready to face the Russians after returning to action today. "He hasn't trained with the team but he wants to play very much and I hope he will be ready to play as he is vital to our defence," Rehhagel said.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yartsev wants to end on high

Dmitri Alenichev will captain Russia against Greece tomorrow in a match which coach Georgi Yartsev sees as an opportunity to exit the finals on a high.

'Utmost importance'

Russia have been eliminated after defeats by Group A rivals Spain and Portugal, but Yartsev said: "This match is far from the ordinary for us - on the contrary, it is of utmost importance as it can affect final standings in the group." With this in mind, he denied that he would give some of his reserve players a game. "I do not have a duty to let everyone play, but I do have a duty to win," he said.

Duo suspended

Yartsev will be without two key players with captain Aleksei Smertin and goalkeeper Sergei Ovchinnikov both suspended. "We have lost our captain through a ban," he said. "I have to say again that we will see a new-look defence - the third in as many games. This is very problematic for us."

Injury crisis

Yartsev, who revealed that FC Porto midfield player Alenichev would replace Smertin as captain, cited injuries to his defenders as the main cause for their disappointing performances. "If it were not for the injuries to [Viktor] Onopko and [sergei] Ignashevitch, we would have an experienced and reliable defence," he said.

Sennikov question

While Viacheslav Malafeev and Roman Sharonov have all but ensured their starts as replacements in defence tomorrow, Yartsev hinted that either of the full-backs - Dmitri Sennikov or Vadim Evseev - might be rested tomorrow. "Sennikov has missed a month of training and still does not feel confident," the coach said. Yartsev is expected to use a 4-4-2 system in which any two of his four strikers could play.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probable Lineups

| Malafeev |

| |

| |

| Sharonov Bugayev |

|Anyukov Sennikov |

| |

| |

| |

| Bystrov |

| Loskov |

| |

|Alenichev Kariaka |

| |

| |

| |

| Kerzhakov |

| Sychev |

| |

| Vryzas |

| |

| |

| |

| Charisteas |

| Lakis |

| Tsiartas |

| |

| |

| Zagorakis Basinas |

| |

| |

|Fyssas Seitaridis |

| |

| Kapsis Dellas |

| |

| |

| Nikopolidis |

</pre>

Karagounis is suspended for this match while Giannakopoulos is out with an injury problem. I don't think it will be as an easy game as many people think it will be. The Russian team has impressed me with their pace and their attacking style (especially against Portugal when they created many chances despite the fact that they were left with ten men). I reckon we will play very cautiously because to be honest a point will probably be our aim in order to ensure our presence in the quarter finals. Of course, should the chance come up, we must try to get all three points and hope to finish 1st because realistically it will be very difficult to playy against a team like France. England on the other hand are much closer to our playing style and our chances would significantly increase against them.

Anyway, my prediction for tonight's game is either a 0-0 or a 1-1 draw.

Come on Greece icon_mad.gif

Like i said on a previus thread.

The Russia team is divided and on low morale. Exactly the opposite in the Greek camp. Greece has score on the 2 previous games and had never had a sending off. Again the opposite if i remember has happen with Russia. They have not score a goal yet and they have finish both games with 10 men on the field. I believe we can take the Russia game as win, as long the Greek players play with the same atittude they have show in the last games.

The Greeks should top their group with a nice win over the Russians provided they don't get too overconfident. Greece are a good solid team that are hard to breakdown, so I can't see Russia scoring and if they push forward trying to salvage some pride the Greeks will nick a goal or tow. Come on Greece!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I believe we can take the Russia game as win, as long the Greek players play with the same atittude they have show in the last games. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, don't be too sure, Russia often play better when they have nothing to play for. Some history notes for you:

WC'90 - USSR have lost their first two matches to Argentina and Romania (both 0:2), but won against group leaders Cameroon 4:0.

WC'94 - after having lost to Brazil and Sweden, Russia again thrashed Cameroon 6:1.

Euro'96 - lost to Germany and Italy, but drew 3:3 with the Czechs in the last match.

Group A

Results

Day 3

-------------------------------

Spain - Portugal 0 - 1

Russia - Greece 2 - 1

</pre>

Standings

| G W D L + - df P |

|Portugal 3 2 0 1 3 3 0 6 |

|Greece 3 1 1 1 4 4 0 4 |

|Spain 3 1 1 1 2 2 0 4 |

|Russia 2 1 0 2 2 4 -2 3 |

</pre>

Top Goalscorers

|Basinas 1 Greece |

|Bulykin 1 Russia |

|Charisteas 1 Greece |

|Karagounis 1 Greece |

|Krichenko 1 Russia |

|Nuno Gomes 1 Portugal |

|Maniche 1 Portugal |

|Morientes 1 Spain |

|Ronaldo 1 Portugal |

|Rui Costa 1 Portugal |

|Valeron 1 Spain |

|Vryzas 1 Greece |

</pre>

\o/ icon_biggrin.gif

Although we performed rather poorly, thankfully we didn't have to pay for it. This defeat can help in keeping our feet on the ground and face the group B winner (probably France) with great discipline and concentration. We'll have more than enough time to work on our weaknesses and to study our opponent.

I know that losing in such a way isn't the best way to celebrate our qualification but all in all getting out of the group is more than we had hoped for in the first place.

Well done to the players and mr. Rehaggel. icon_smile.gif

Russia - Greece 2 - 1

2' Kirichenko

17' Bulykin

43' Vryzas

Nervous Greece advance

Greece nervously edged into the quarter-finals despite losing their last Group A game 2-1 to Russia in Faro-Loulé on Sunday. Zisis Vryzas’ goal two minutes before half-time ensured that Otto Rehhagel's side qualified along with Portugal, having scored more goals than Spain.

Vryzas the difference

Having started the day top of the group, Greece's hopes of reaching the last eight were rocked in the first 17 minutes as Russia raced into a two-goal lead. Dmitri Kirichenko opened the scoring inside two minutes with the quickest goal ever scored in a UEFA European Championship finals match, then Dmitri Bulykin took advantage of some anxious Greek defending to head in a second. But Vryzas' well-taken strike just before the interval ultimately proved enough to see Greece through to the quarter-finals of a major tournament for the first time in their history.

Attacking intent

Rehhagel opted for an attacking formation, despite his side needing just a point to be sure of a place in the last eight. Panathinaikos FC striker Dimitrios Papadopoulos was handed his tournament debut in a three-pronged attack alongside Vryzas and Angelos Charisteas, while Angelos Basinas bolstered a midfield that had lost Stylianos Giannakopoulos to injury and Georgios Karagounis to suspension.

Seven changes

Russia, already eliminated after two straight defeats, made seven changes from the side that lost to Portugal, with Vladislav Radimov playing the anchor role in a new-look midfield that had Rolan Gusev on the right, Andrei Kariaka on the left and Dmitri Alenichev in the hole behind front-two Bulykin and Kirichenko.

Sudden impact

It was Kirichenko's first taste of action in Portugal and the PFC CSKA Moskva striker wasted no time making his mark, scoring Russia's first goal of the campaign inside two minutes. Greece lost concentration at the back as Konstantinos Katsouranis missed his attempted clearance, allowing Kirichenko to race clear and steer a right-foot shot past Antonios Nikopolidis.

Bulykin doubles up

Greece were soon pressing forward in search of an equaliser but their nerves were all too apparent against a Russia side playing without pressure. Alenichev and Gusev looked dangerous every time they counterattacked and Russia soon doubled their lead. Gusev's right-wing corner picked out Bulykin unmarked at the near post and his stooping header flew into the roof of the net.

Venetidis shoots wide

Kariaka blazed over the crossbar from close range in the 25th minute, before Charisteas squandered a glorious chance to get Greece back in the game. Stylianos Venetidis crossed low from the left, but the SV Werder Bremen forward scooped his shot over from six metres out.

Vryzas hits back

The opportunity gave Greece hope, however, and they got the goal they needed two minutes before the break. Papadopoulos headed a cross from the right into the path of Vryzas, whose clever chest control saw him turn past Roman Sharonov before chipping the ball clinically over goalkeeper Viacheslav Malafeev and into the net.

Double change

Russia coach Georgi Yartsev made a double change at the break, with goalscorer Bulykin making way for Dmitri Sychev and Igor Semshov replacing Kariaka, but Greece were soon on the offensive. Vassilios Tsiartas, who had come on for Basinas just seconds before Greece scored, tested Malafeev with a low 20-metre drive on 50 minutes, then saw his corner headed over by Charisteas.

Greek nerves

News that Portugal had taken the lead against Spain was greeted by cheers from the sprinkling of Portuguese fans in the stadium, but seemed to inject more nerves into the Greek team. Russia looked to take advantage and Kirichenko struck an acrobatic volley over the crossbar before Sychev stung the hands of Nikopolidis with a raking drive. But Greece held on.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spain - Portugal 0 - 1

57' Nuno Gomes

Nuno Gomes lights up Lisbon

A 57th-minute strike from substitute Nuno Gomes eased the worries of a nation as Portugal, the UEFA EURO 2004â„¢ hosts, advanced to the knockout stages of the competition at the expense of their Iberian rivals, Spain.

Long wait

The significance of the occasion where Portugal needed a win and Spain only a draw denied the fans a truly wonderful derby, but Nuno Gomes' goal finally ended a 23-year wait for the Portuguese to put one over their old adversaries. Portugal advance to the last eight as group winners, while Greece finish second in Group A with Spain eliminated in third.

Key switch

The only goal came at a moment when Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was desperately trying to shuffle his attacking options as his side struggled to breach a stubborn Spanish defence which had been equal to everything Portugal threw at them. With Nuno Gomes introduced for Pauleta at the interval, the switch paid instant dividends as Luís Figo found the substitute, who unleashed a right-footed shot from 18 metres that beat Iker Casillas low to his right.

Ronaldo start

Scolari made only one change to the side that defeated Russia 2-0 as Cristiano Ronaldo's impressive performance after his introduction in that game was rewarded with his inclusion in the starting lineup, only the second time he had started a match for his country. Simão Sabrosa dropped to the bench.

Sáez changes

Spain coach Iñaki Sáez was forced into making two changes due to injury and suspension to Joseba Etxeberria and Carlos Marchena respectively. Juanito Gutiérrez and Joaquín Sánchez came into the team, with Fernando Torres and Xabi Alonso also starting.

Tense opening

With Deco marshalling the midfield and Luís Figo and Ronaldo periodically changing flanks, Portugal had the upper hand in the early exchanges. However, some poor deliveries ensured Casillas' goal was rarely threatened in a tense opening 15 minutes where Pauleta and David Albelda were both cautioned. The former’s booking ruling him out of the quarter-final.

Match ignites

Spain offered little in attack until Vicente Rodríguez's low left-wing centre eluded Raúl González inside the Portuguese penalty area. Almost immediately, Ronaldo's low ball in at the other end forced Iván Helguera into a hurried clearance with Pauleta lurking menacingly. Deco then had a snap-shot from 12 metres blocked.

Casillas called upon

Miguel then ventured forward to force the first save of the game with Casillas diving to his left to palm away. Again Spain responded, but Ricardo was quickly off his line to deny Torres outside his penalty area. Spain came close once more after 34 minutes, but Raúl failed to control Vicente's cross and Nuno Valente and Ricardo combined to clear.

Headed opportunities

Then on the stroke of half-time both sides spurned gilt-edged opportunities. First Torres nodded Xabi Alonso's corner over when unmarked in front of goal and then Ronaldo headed wide from Figo's left-wing cross.

Spanish urgency

Jorge Andrade had to make up ground to cut out Vicente's left-wing cross early in the second half as Raúl threatened, before Maniche tried his luck from long range and missed the target. But Nuno Gomes' goal caused more urgency in Spain's play, and Torres thumped the ball against the post in the 62nd minute when he latched on to Xabi Alonso's through-ball as the hosts were forced to defend desperately.

Juanito denied

Ricardo Carvalho had to be alert to the danger posed by Vicente's lob as he cleared when Ricardo was stranded. From the resulting corner, Juanito headed on to the crossbar with a looping effort before a drive from Vicente went wide. Torres then saw his header sail narrowly beyond the post.

Maniche misses

But Portugal squandered the best opportunity of all when Costinha headed Nuno Valente's cross over with only Casillas to beat two minutes from time. Then Maniche had his shot cleared off the line by Raúl Bravo after he latched on to Nuno Gomes' wonderful through-ball as the home side finished the game and their group on top.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lisbon and Athens in rapture

Portuguese and Greek supporters are waking up to the best hangover in their respective footballing histories.

Mass celebrations

A 1-0 triumph for the hosts in last night's all-Iberian encounter between Portugal and Spain was the cause for mass celebrations in the streets of all Portugal's major towns. Similar scenes were witnessed in Athens and Thessalonika, after Zisis Vryzas' goal in a 2-1 defeat against Russia ensured that Greece would join Portugal in the last eight.

On the streets

Within moments of the final whistle, Portuguese fans took to the streets and anyone hoping for an early night was to be disappointed as jubilant supporters cruised the streets amid a deafening cacophony of car horns. "It's absolutely terrific. I can hardly speak," said 19-year-old student Eduardo Seixas, who watched the game at the Fan Park near the International Media Centre.

'Crazy tonight'

Elsewhere in Lisbon, supporters descended en masse on to the city's central squares, singing and waving flags, and were joined by curious supporters from all of the other UEFA EURO 2004â„¢ countries. Similar scenes were reported in Porto, Coimbra, Cartaxo and Portalegre while crowds in the streets of Aveiro chanted: "We want more! We want more!"

National celebration

Psychologist Mauro Corage spoke for many when he said: "Who won this game? Portugal. Not the eleven players but everyone. This was a win for the entire country." A similar feeling was seemingly common to the supporters who took to the streets in Greece, and more are now expected to come to Portugal for Otto Rehhagel's side's quarter-final. "People have gone crazy with joy - we've had hundreds of people enquiring about tickets to Portugal," a travel agency spokesman said.

Flags waving

In Athens, thousands of people converged on the central Omonia square on Sunday night and revelled until the early morning hours. The team received letters of congratulation from all political parties for "making Greece proud". Heeding the call of their German coach Otto Rehhagel, the Greeks have hung the national flag on balconies throughout the country - those old enough to remember say they have not seen so many Greek flags since the end of the occupation in 1945.

Greeks united

But the achievement has also resonated outside the country as well, as thousands of Greeks abroad, from Australia to the USA, reportedly hit the streets to celebrate. The Hellenic Football Federation (EPO) website said it has received an unprecedented amount of congratulatory emails. "We have received millions of hits. This has never happened before," site director Mihalis Koutsouris told euro2004.com. "This has united Greeks the world over."

Turkish greetings

Success has also brought Greece closer to traditional rivals Turkey as hundreds of Turkish well-wishers have reportedly inundated the EPO with messages of congratulation. "We received mails like 'congratulations brothers'," said Koutsouris.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Turkish greetings

Success has also brought Greece closer to traditional rivals Turkey as hundreds of Turkish well-wishers have reportedly inundated the EPO with messages of congratulation. "We received mails like 'congratulations brothers'," said Koutsouris.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when we became brothers?

Even the Russians try to cut us down, but you cannot blame them lumberjacks!!!

I bet the Turkish will try to to do the same in the WCQ like the Russians did on us in here(Euro 2004).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pelegrin:

Since when we became brothers?

Even the Russians try to cut us down, but you cannot blame them lumberjacks!!!

I bet the Turkish will try to to do the same in the WCQ like the Russians did on us in here(Euro 2004). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what? What's the problem? icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nørbæk:

I think Greece will be toast against France <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll just have to wait and see now won't we?

It's just 90 minutes and anything can happen. They are the obvious favorite but i reckon if we could repeat our opening game performance we could stand a chance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nørbæk:

I think Greece will be toast against France <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I more than Happy to have reached the finial 8. From now on who knows icon_cool.gif

Archived