Come on Greece, The thread of the surprise team of the EC 2004

bigguk

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigguk:

A hopefully we can get a good result in first match of the Championships against Portugal, From there who knows we already beaten Spain before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed

Quick setting the record straight about your attack on Worcester City not winning anything...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BTW Bigguk - Worcester City have won in the last 43 years the following:

Southern League Premier: 1978-79

Southern League Div 1: 1967-68

Southern League Div 1 North: 1976-77

Doc Martens Southern League Cup: 2000-01

Southern League Champions Cup: 1978-79

Worcestershire Senior Cup: 1960-61, 1962-63, 1964-65, 1969-70, 1977-78, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1983-84, 1987-88, 1996-97

Birmingham Senior Cup: 1975-76

Staffordshire Senior Cup: 1976-77

Inter League Champions Cup: 1978-79

That's a total of 18 trophies - including 3 League Titles! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back on topic - I predict Greece will get 1 point at least - they failed miserably in 1994 with a marginally better squad...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Worcester City Researcher:

Quick setting the record straight about your attack on Worcester City not winning anything...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BTW Bigguk - Worcester City have won in the last 43 years the following:

Southern League Premier: 1978-79

Southern League Div 1: 1967-68

Southern League Div 1 North: 1976-77

Doc Martens Southern League Cup: 2000-01

Southern League Champions Cup: 1978-79

Worcestershire Senior Cup: 1960-61, 1962-63, 1964-65, 1969-70, 1977-78, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1983-84, 1987-88, 1996-97

Birmingham Senior Cup: 1975-76

Staffordshire Senior Cup: 1976-77

Inter League Champions Cup: 1978-79

That's a total of _18_ trophies - including 3 League Titles! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back on topic - I predict Greece will get 1 point at least - they failed miserably in 1994 with a marginally better squad... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Southern League Premier icon_eek.gif wow you must be good

If you knew anything about English Football's structure - it is regarded as the best of the three feeder leagues to the Conference - which is where we are now.

And if you know your history - Spurs came from the Southern League - heck they won the FA Cup while they were in it - making them the only Non-League club to win it.

We know our level - and are quite happy!

The fixtures (UK TV)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Sat 12 Jun Porto

Portugal v Greece 17:00 BBC1

Wed 16 Jun Porto

Greece v Spain 17:00 BBC1

Sun 20 Jun Faro

Russia v Greece 19:45 BBC3 ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raeks:

their left back who played a few seasons for Inter ...georgatos?

is he part of the greek squad? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. He had been called by Rehaggel when we played Finland for the 2002 WC qualifying phase (we lost 5-1) and while Rehaggel was giving instructions in the dressing room, he told him end-on to f***k off. He hasn't been picked since... icon_wink.gif

we will give it a try, it's in our abilities to pull even a win against Russia. However the amazing bad luck of drawing Portugal and Spain in our group has sentenced us. Portugal will riot our faces and we'll be lucky to escape with a 2-0 or 3-0.

For Spain, I am waiting gleefully to shove their faces in the mud once again. They've talked about revenge for our win in Spain, oh how sweet it will be to even keep a point from them and that point means they won't go through mwahahahahaha

we'll lose heavily probably though icon_biggrin.gif

Portugal Russia 1

Portugal Spain X

Portugal Greece 1

Russia Spain - whoever wins goes through

Russia Greece 1-2-X

Spain Greece 1-X

Portugal and the winner of the Spain Russia match to go through, unless we win over Russia and then Spain will go through regardless.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ensign Greco:

we will give it a try, it's in our abilities to pull even a win against Russia. However the amazing bad luck of drawing Portugal and Spain in our group has sentenced us. Portugal will riot our faces and we'll be lucky to escape with a 2-0 or 3-0.

For Spain, I am waiting gleefully to shove their faces in the mud once again. They've talked about revenge for our win in Spain, oh how sweet it will be to even keep a point from them and that point means they won't go through mwahahahahaha

we'll lose heavily probably though icon_biggrin.gif

Portugal Russia 1

Portugal Spain X

Portugal Greece 1

Russia Spain - whoever wins goes through

Russia Greece 1-2-X

Spain Greece 1-X

Portugal and the winner of the Spain Russia match to go through, unless we win over Russia and then Spain will go through regardless. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we can get a draw out of the Portugal game, the first game of most major tournaments, normally ends up in a draw or a surprise results, and I don’t believe Portugal are as good of a team as people make out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

I am ready to place a bet that they don't get out of the group icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was using that excel chat thing and we when out on goal difference with sounds about right icon_frown.gif

I think that Spain will probably top the table and that although Portugal are the obvious favorite for the second place, they won't have a pleasant time both against Greece and against Russia. For us, the opening game is of vital importance. If we are to have a chance to go through, then our best hope would be to leave the hosts out. I've watched Portugal recently and they are far from an impressive squad. You can see they have quality in them but they have repeatedly failed to bond together as a team.

Obviously we will have to play tremendously well in order to stand a chance against them and i think that the friendly game between us, a few months back, should work as a guide for mr. Rehaggel. Once again the biggest problem will be the fact that some of our most important players (Nikolaidis, Karagounis, Nikopolidis, Giannakopoulos, Charisteas) have not been playing a big role in their clubs and their match fitness will be, if nothing else, questionable.

For the opening match i would expect us to play the usual 5-3-2 formation. I think that Nikopolidis will be under the goalpost (should he play as badly as he did against Holland, Rehaggel will most probably consider replacing him later), Fyssas will be on the left of the defence (one positive thing about him is that he lives in Portugal and it will be easier for him to adjust to the climate) and Seitaridis on the right. Dellas along with Goumas will be the centre back pair and Katsouranis should be a sweeper when we will be defending and a defensive midfielder when we will be attacking (one great aspect of Katsouranis is his versatility and his ability to play both as a defender and as a midfielder). In the midfield, we should play either Zagorakis or Basinas as a defensive midfielder (Zagorakis' strong point is his physical strength but Basinas is imo technically better and he can run with the ball more effectively. Also, i think that Zagorakis works better with Tsiartas next to him while Basinas fits better when Karagounis is picked). Giannakopoulos will obviously be a certainty (let's not forget that he can change sides as well) and as a playmaker, i'd rather have Karagounis than Tsiartas but as i mentioned earlier, Zagorakis and Tsiartas should play together. Up front, Nikolaidis is a certain starter and i would like to see Papadopoulos next to him, although it probably won't happen since Rehaggel will want someone with a different body structure (like Charisteas or Vryzas) to pair off with Demis.

Here's the finalized Euro 2004 Portugal squad. icon_smile.gif

Scolari shows his hand

By Diogo Teixeira

Portugal have given Maniche a chance to shine at UEFA EURO 2004â„¢ after he was named in Luiz Felipe Scolari's provisional 23-man squad.

Surprise call

The FC Porto midfield player had not been involved in the national team set-up since the 3-0 defeat by Spain in September. He gets the nod ahead of Fulham FC's Luís Boa Morte. Scolari said: "He is a player who has been in good form. He can play in different positions and can be very useful to us."

Postiga return

Another notable inclusion is Tottenham Hotspur FC forward Hélder Postiga, who has hardly featured over the last 18 months. "Hélder Postiga is a player who has different qualities," Scolari said. "With him I get the chance to change tactics if needed."

Moreira chance

Young SL Benfica goalkeeper Moreira will also join the squad after the UEFA European Under-21 Championship which begins later this month. There were no surprises in defence with the only doubt being left-back Rui Jorge. However, he was cleared of doping offences yesterday and is free to play.

Familiar faces

It is also a familiar story in midfield, with the experienced duo of Luís Figo and Rui Costa among the six chosen while 19-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo is among the forwards after a promising year with Manchester United FC.

Nervous time

Scolari faces an anxious wait, however, over the coming days. Maniche along with Porto colleagues Deco, Nuno Valente, Paulo Ferreira, Costinha and Ricardo Carvalho will represent their club in the UEFA Champions League final a week tomorrow, while first-choice forward Pauleta will be involved with Paris Saint-Germain FC in the French Cup final the following Saturday.

Final selection

Scolari summed up his selection: "All Portugal has to be sure that I have chosen the best players and must focus their support on this 23. I have called up 36 players in recent months but I can now only select 23."

High expectations

He added: "Our first goal is to reach the knock-out stage. Of course we aim higher, but that is other phase. The Portuguese are right to expect that, because that is what I am going to expect from my players."

Portugal squad

Goalkeepers

Ricardo (Sporting Clube de Portugal)

Quim (SC Braga)

Moreira (SL Benfica)

Defenders

Jorge Andrade (RC Deportivo La Coruña)

Fernando Couto (S.S. Lazio)

Ricardo Carvalho (FC Porto)

Miguel (SL Benfica)

Paulo Ferreira (FC Porto)

Nuno Valente (FC Porto)

Rui Jorge (Sporting Clube de Portugal)

Beto (Sporting Clube de Portugal)

Midfielders

Tiago (SL Benfica)

Petit (SL Benfica)

Costinha (FC Porto)

Deco (FC Porto)

Maniche (FC Porto)

Rui Costa (AC Milan)

Luís Figo (Real Madrid CF)

Forwards

Pauleta (Paris Saint-Germain FC)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United FC)Simão Sabrosa (SL Benfica)

Nuno Gomes (SL Benfica)

Hélder Postiga (Tottenham Hotspur FC)

©uefa.com 1998-2004. All rights reserved.

Thursday, 20 May 2004

By Iván Modia

Real Betis Balompié centre-back Juanito Gutiérrez has received a surprise call-up for Spain's UEFA EURO 2004™ squad.

Safety first

The defender has been included in Iñaki Sáez's 23-man squad as cover for Carlos Marchena, Iván Helguera and César Martín, with the coach explaining: "I have a lot of experience in tournaments like this, and I think I'll need more central defenders because they get red cards and have to be replaced."

Active role

Juanito was delighted with the news of his selection, but made it clear that he wanted to see action in Portugal. "There had been rumours, but I didn't know anything about my inclusion and that's why I'm very happy," he said. "I want to play in the finals, I don't just want to be a substitute."

Mista omitted

However, with so many talented players at his disposal, Sáez has been forced to make some major omissions from the list, with Arsenal FC's Premiership-winning striker José Antonio Reyes and Valencia CF's UEFA Cup hero, Mista, both missing the cut. "There are a lot of players who deserved to be here, but I can only choose 23," he said.

Five forwards

The absence of Reyes and Mista will leave Spain with just five attacking players for the tournament: Fernando Torres, Fernando Morientes, Joseba Etxeberria, Albert Luque and Raúl González. "Raúl is an example for the other players," said the coach. "Besides, he wants to add a title to his collection."

Old acquaintances

Sáez, who led the Spanish Under-20 side to victory at the FIFA World Youth Championship in 1999, has picked five players who were involved in that tournament, in Iker Casillas, Carlos Marchena, Xavi Hernández, Gabri García and Daniel Aranzubia.

Young goalkeeper

"I've chosen Gabri because he can play in many different positions, and I always said I needed a young third goalkeeper, like Aranzubia, who is willing to get some experience," explained Sáez, who has left out more experienced goalkeepers José Manuel Reina and Víctor Valdés.

In-form player

There were no surprises in midfield, though, where Betis's Joaquín Sánchez would appear to be the in-form player. "He has reached his best level in the final games of the Primera División season," said Sáez. "This was the type of reaction I demanded from him."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spain squad

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Goalkeepers

Iker Casillas Real Madrid CF

Santiago Cañizares Valencia CF

Daniel Aranzubia Athletic Club Bilbao

Defenders

Carlos Marchena Valencia CF

Carles Puyol FC Barcelona

Raúl Bravo Real Madrid CF

César Martín RC Deportivo La Coruña

Iván Helguera Real Madrid CF

Míchel Salgado Real Madrid CF

Juanito Gutiérrez Real Betis Balompié

Gabri García FC Barcelona

Midfielders

David Albelda Valencia CF

Rubén Baraja Valencia CF

Vicente Rodríguez Valencia CF

Joaquín Sánchez Real Betis Balompié

Juan Carlos Valerón RC Deportivo La Coruña

Xabi Alonso Real Sociedad de Fútbol

Xavi Hernández FC Barcelona

Joseba Etxeberria Athletic Club Bilbao

Strikers

Fernando Morientes AS Monaco FC

Raúl González Real Madrid CF

Fernando Torres Club Atlético de Madrid

Albert Luque RC Deportivo La Coruña

</pre>

©uefa.com 1998-2004. All rights reserved

Mr. Rehhagel names the 23 on 23 May

On Sunday 23 May, Head Coach, Otto Rehhagel, is going to announce the names of the 23 players to form the Greek squad for EURO 2004 final phase. Last week Mr. Rehhagel named the 8 «foreigners» to be in the squad, namely, Zisis Vryzas, Stelios Giannakopoulos, Traianos Dellas, Georgios Karagounis, Demis Nikolaidis, Nikos Dabizas, Takis Fyssas and Angelos Charisteas (14/05/04, «The first eight internationals for EURO 2004»).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Latest Betting Odds regarding Group A

12/06/2004 - Opening Games

Portugal v Greece 1.53 3.40 5.50

Spain v Russia 1.61 3.30 5.00

</pre>

Group Winners

Portugal ----------------2.10

Spain -------------------2.25

Russia -----------------10.00

Greece -----------------10.00

</pre>

Teams Total Group Points

Portugal

Seven Points ------------4.00

Four Points -------------4.33

Six Points --------------5.00

Nine Points -------------6.50

Five Points -------------7.50

Three Points ------------9.50

Two Points -------------19.00

One Point --------------23.00

No Points --------------81.00

Spain

Seven Points ------------4.33

Four Points -------------4.33

Six Points --------------5.00

Nine Points -------------7.50

Five Points -------------7.50

Three Points ------------8.50

Two Points -------------15.00

One Point --------------19.00

No Points --------------67.00

Russia

Four Points -------------3.80

Three Points ------------4.50

One Point ---------------5.00

No Points ---------------6.50

Two Points --------------8.00

Six Points -------------11.00

Five Points ------------15.00

Seven Points -----------21.00

Nine Points ------------51.00

Greece

Three Points ------------4.50

One Point ---------------4.50

Four Points -------------4.50

No Points ---------------5.50

Two Points --------------7.00

Six Points -------------13.00

Five Points ------------15.00

Seven Points -----------26.00

Nine Points ------------67.00

</pre>

Guest Kullervo

i really liked Nikos Lyberopoulos like 2 years ago when i saw him playing at Panathinaikos. i heard he is now at AEK. Can anyone give me an inside view about the player? im portuguese so im sorry but i hope you to loose the first game. it can be portugal in first and greece in second on the group icon_biggrin.gif Go Fyssas icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kullervo:

i really liked Nikos Lyberopoulos like 2 years ago when i saw him playing at Panathinaikos. i heard he is now at AEK. Can anyone give me an inside view about the player? im portuguese so im sorry but i hope you to loose the first game. it can be portugal in first and greece in second on the group icon_biggrin.gif Go Fyssas icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lyberopoulos has always been considered one of Greece's most talented forwards. He is that type of forward that one would describe as 'old-fashioned' since he isn't really a striker nor an attacking midefielder. Some people believe that there is no room for such players in modern football but on the other hand, there are those who remain romantic and know how to appreciate players who can at any point do the unexpected. Lyberopoulos' strong point is his technique and his vision. You will often see him creating space for his team-mates and generally playing a supportive role. His main weakness is his lack of pace.

Last year, he was released by Panathinaikos after failing to celebrate a title despite being part of the team for 7 seasons. Although he was PAO's last season top goalscorer, he earned himself the tag of 'loser' and 'underachiever'. Now he is playing at AEK and he has performed quite well this season (despite the fact that AEK have been playing really poorly all year). He hasn't been part of the national team since Rehaggel took charge though. icon_smile.gif

The national team for EURO 2004

The coach of the national team Mr. Otto Rehhagel announced today the names of the 23 players to form the Greek squad for EURO 2004 phase. Mr. Rehhagel will hold a press conference on next Tuesday (27.05.2004). The names of the players are:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Euro 2004 Greece Squad

Goalkeepers_________________________________

Nikopolidis PAO

Chalkias PAO

Katergianakis Olympiakos

Defenders___________________________________

Kapsis AEK

Fyssas Benfica

Goumas PAO

Delllas Roma

Seitaridis PAO

Dabizas Leicester

Venetidis Olympiakos

Midfielders_________________________________

Lakis AEK

Basinas PAO

Katsouranis AEK

Kafes Olympiakos

Georgiadis Olympiakos

Karagounis Inter

Tsiartas AEK

Zagorakis AEK

Giannakopoulos Bolton

Forwards____________________________________

Charisteas Werder Bremen

Nikolaidis Atletico Madrid

Vryzas Fiorentina

Papadopoulos PAO

</pre>

Guest Kullervo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimka:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kullervo:

i really liked Nikos Lyberopoulos like 2 years ago when i saw him playing at Panathinaikos. i heard he is now at AEK. Can anyone give me an inside view about the player? im portuguese so im sorry but i hope you to loose the first game. it can be portugal in first and greece in second on the group icon_biggrin.gif Go Fyssas icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pitty icon_frown.gif i guess he is really like my favorite Portugal player: Pedro Barbosa. Last summer portuguese newspapers said that Lyberopoulos could come to Sporting Lisbon and i was so happy. But nothing icon_mad.gif Thanks for the explanation icon14.gif

Lyberopoulos has always been considered one of Greece's most talented forwards. He is that type of forward that one would describe as 'old-fashioned' since he isn't really a striker nor an attacking midefielder. Some people believe that there is no room for such players in modern football but on the other hand, there are those who remain romantic and know how to appreciate players who can at any point do the unexpected. Lyberopoulos' strong point is his technique and his vision. You will often see him creating space for his team-mates and generally playing a supportive role. His main weakness is his lack of pace.

Last year, he was released by Panathinaikos after failing to celebrate a title despite being part of the team for 7 seasons. Although he was PAO's last season top goalscorer, he earned himself the tag of 'loser' and 'underachiever'. Now he is playing at AEK and he has performed quite well this season (despite the fact that AEK have been playing really poorly all year). He hasn't been part of the national team since Rehaggel took charge though. icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Kullervo

Forget my last post... Dont hit the keyboard while sleeping... And since i cannot edit my post icon_mad.gif... for more easy reading i put my answer here again...

Pitty icon_frown.gif i guess he is really like my favorite Portugal player: Pedro Barbosa. Last summer portuguese newspapers said that Lyberopoulos could come to Sporting Lisbon and i was so happy. But nothing icon_mad.gif Thanks for the explanation icon14.gif

Group A -- Fixtures and Venues--

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">12/06/04 17:00 Portugal vs Greece</pre> O Dragão

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">12/06/04 19:45 Spain vs Russia</pre> Algarve

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">16/06/04 17:00 Greece vs Spain</pre> O Bessa

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">16/06/04 19:45 Russia vs Portugal</pre> A Luz

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">20/06/04 19:45 Spain vs Portugal</pre> José Alvalade

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">20/06/04 19:45 Spain vs Greece</pre> Algarve

Discipline is key, says Rehhagel

Coach Otto Rehhagel has cited discipline as the key factor to Greece's prospects of success at UEFA EURO 2004â„¢.

Press conference

The Greece squad arrive in Portugal on 7 June and face the host nation in the tournament's opening match five days later. Today, at their final press conference on home soil, Rehhagel told journalists that: "The key word is discipline."

'No mistakes'

Rehhagel, who was flanked by Hellenic Football Federation president Vassilios Gagatsis, said: "We will play against excellent teams [spain and Russia are their other Group A opponents] and if we are to have hope we must not repeat the mistakes we made against the Netherlands in the second half."

Emotional intelligence

The German coach was referring to the 4-0 defeat in the Netherlands last month, where they conceded four second-half goals as their 15-match unbeaten run ended. He added: "It is important for us to have emotional intelligence."

AEK dispute

One recent concern in Greece has been the public dispute between the Greek internationals at AEK Athens FC and striker Themistoklis Nikolaidis, their international colleague, who has been part of a consortium trying to buy his former club.

'We are united'

The AEK players last week refused to back the consortium's plan to rescue the club, reportedly €100m in debt, and were subsequently confronted by angry supporters at their training ground. However, Rehhagel was confident that this dispute would not affect the spirit within the camp. "We will talk about it," he said. "I'm sure there will be no problem. We are united. When we play Portugal no one will care about [the] matter."

Two more matches

Greece play two more away warm-up matches before the finals, against Poland on 29 May and Liechtenstein on 3 June.

©uefa.com 1998-2004. All rights reserved

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finalized Squad Numbers

1.Nikopolidis

2.Seitaridis

3.Venetidis

4.Dabizas

5.Dellas

6.Basinas

7.Zagorakis

8.Giannakopoulos

9.Charisteas

10.Tsiartas

11.Nikolaidis

12.Chalkias

13.Katergiannakis

14.Fyssas

15.Vryzas

16.Kafes

17.Georgiadis

18.Goumas

19.Kapsis

20.Karagounis

21.Papadopoulos

22.Katsouranis

23.Lakis

Austria - Russia 0 - 0

warm-up friendly game

Tuesday, 25 May 2004

Reshuffled Russia goalless in Graz

Austria 0-0 Russia

An unfamiliar-looking Russia side were held to a goalless draw by a resolute Austrian team at the Arnold Schwarzenegger stadium in Graz.

Selection reshuffle

Georgi Yartsev was forced to field an experimental lineup against Austria with key players Viktor Onopko, Sergei Ignashevitch, Dmitri Loskov and Rolan Gusev injured and FC Porto's Dmitri Alenichev preparing for Wednesday's meeting with AS Monaco FC in the UEFA Champions League final.

Two new caps

Vadim Evseev and Roman Sharonov were joined by debutants Aleksei Bugaev and Aleksandr Anyukov in defence. Aleksei Smertin and Aleksandr Mostovoi were paired together in the centre of midfield while Aleksandr Panov, who returned to the squad after more than two years, partnered Dmitri Bulykin up front.

Lively Panov

The new-look side took time to settle, and struggled to create chances in an even first 45 minutes. It was Panov who had the first attempt on goal as he chested the ball down and shot narrowly wide from just outside the penalty area. The small striker was in the thick of the action again minutes later as he broke into the area on to Bulykin's flick but failed to finish.

Karyaka chances

There was much more danger in Russia's set-pieces, with Andrei Karyaka coming close twice. First he stroked the ball just wide of the near post after Evseev earned a free-kick on the left and then he forced a save out of Austrian goalkeeper Thomas Mandl from Mostovoi's short free-kick.

Half-time changes

Austria also had chances, with Matthias Dollinger coming close with a free-kick and Marcus Schopp's fine low cross being cleared by Anyukov. Russia made four substitutions at the break, with goalkeeper Sergei Ovchinnikov making way for Vyacheslav Malafeev, Dmitri Kiritchenko and Aleksandr Kerzhakov coming into the attack and Marat Izmailov replacing Petr Bystrov on the right.

Sharonov setback

The changes galavanised Russia, and Yartsev's side took the upper hand after the restart. Sharonov picked up an injury early in the second half, forcing the versatile Evgeni Aldonin to come on and Smertin to drop back into defence.

Haas denied

Russia produced a flowing display after the break, but it was Austria's Mario Haas who came the closest to scoring as he broke away from Smertin and shot centimetres wide of the far post.

Russian pressure

Mostovoi then found Kiritchenko on the edge of the area but the striker's hard low shot was saved by Mandl. Vladislav Radimov came on for Mostovoi minutes later and went close with a curled free-kick that forced the Austria goalkeeper to save at the near post.

Radimov denied

The best chance of the game came when Kerzhakov played the ball short for Izmailov by the right side of the area and the FC Lokomotiv Moskva midfield player fed Radimov, whose shot look destined for a far corner only to be turned away by Mandl. Despite the blank scoresheet, there were some plus points for Yartsev, particularly Anyukov's successful debut, Izmailov's creativity and Kariaka's relentless energy.

©uefa.com 1998-2004. All rights reserved.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

guys get real.

We got you english asses kicked one time. I pray you qualify first in your grp so we can play you again... Really that's the ideal summer for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Greece? Surprise team?

As in it's a surprise they're there. I agree. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Greece are going to get beaten badly, there one of only 5 teams I've got of having no chance of winning the tournement.

A΄National Team schedule

A΄ National Team schedule from Wednesday, 26/05/2004, till Russia-Greece match, on 20/06/2004, for the first phase of the final tournament, has been announced. In detail, the training sessions, matches and travel schedule are as follows:

26/05: The National Team group at Metropolitan Hotel, at 12:30

Training session at Agios Kosmas Sports Center, at 18:00 (of access for the Media and public)

27/05: Training session at Agios Kosmas Center, at 18:00 (no access)

28/05: Departure for the city of Szczecin in Poland by a chartered flight, at 11:50

Training session at Stadion Miejski «POGON», at 20:00

29/05 Friendly match against Poland in Szczecin (Stadion Miejski «POGON»), at 20:00

30/05 Departing from Poland to reach «Bad Ragaz» Sports Center in Switzerland

Training sessions in Switzerland and Liechtenstein:

30/05: 17:00-19:00

31/05: 10:00-12:00 and 17:00-19:00

01/06: 10:00-12:00 and 17:00-19:00

02/06: Traveling to Liechtenstein by car.

Training session at «Rheinpark Stadium» in Vaduz, at 20:00

03/06: Friendly match against Liechtenstein at «Rheinpark Stadium» in Vaduz, at 20:30

Return to Switzerland after the match.

04/06: 10:00-12:00 and 17:00-19:00

05/06: 10:00-12:00 and 17:00-19:00

06/06: Departure for Portugal (Porto).

Schedule in Portugal:

06/06: Training session at Rio Ave, 18.00-20.00

07/06: Training session at Rio Ave, 10.00-12.00 and 17.00-19.00

08/06: Training session at Rio Ave, 10.00-12.00 and 17.00-19.00

09/06: Training session at Rio Ave, 10.00-12.00 and 17.00-19.00

10/06: Training session at Rio Ave, 10.00-12.00 and 17.00-19.00

11/06: Training session at «Dragao» stadium in Porto, 15.30-16.30

12/06: Portugal-Greece, at 17:00, «Dragao Stadium» Porto (Inaugurate match)[/b]13/06[/b]: Training session at Rio Ave, 10.00-12.00 and 17.00-19.00

14/06: Training session at Rio Ave, 10.00-12.00 and 17.00-19.00

15/06: Training session at «Bessa Séc.XXI» stadium in Porto, 16.00-17.00

16/06: Greece-Spain, at 17.00, «Βessa Séc.XXI», Porto[/b]

17/06: Training session at Rio Ave, 10.00-12.00 and 17.00-19.00

18/06: Training session at Rio Ave, 10.00-12.00, and departure for Faro

19/06: Training session at «Algarve» stadium in Faro, 19.30-20.30

20/06: Russia-Greece, at 19.45, «Αlgarve Stadium» Faro[/b]

Note: A΄ National Team΄s activities abroad are listed in local time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if greece starts well it's gonna go well if it starts badly it will sink below 0.

I reckon the last will happen because of the psychology:

1. The PAO-Olympiakos rivalry

2. Aek players also seem somewhat shared, and looking at the season they had they will be dissapointed.

3. The foreign players have not got many minutes of playing this year (especially refering to Charisteas and Nikolaidis)

The only suprise I wait is from Dimitris Papadopoulos to shine.

Archived