Jump to content

Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

20.4.1 is just an update changing the banner on the main menu. Unfortunately the system that normally does these in a much simpler fashion was broken previously, hence why the update is largely than it would be normally when we update something like this. 

It's the only change included. Thanks. 

I don't understand why I got an update for "free week extension" since I own the game.

I was hoping for bug fixes (plenty of them is in bug section - under review or known issue)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Cadoni said:

I don't understand why I got an update for "free week extension" since I own the game.

I was hoping for bug fixes (plenty of them is in bug section - under review or known issue)

To clarify the fix wasn't just the banner changing, but a more detailed fix for how the banner system works on the main menu. This means we can update it in the future much simpler without the need for users to download a larger update like this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FrazT said:

The game is not coded to favour any league but the leagues that you have loaded will have a small effect as their reputation may grow at a slight faster rate than leagues that are not loaded.

I've got them all loaded and always have. 

I am not suggested the game is coded to favour any league. I am heavily suggesting that players who play in England and Scotland are overwhelmingly overrated in game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Muja said:

If you've only been playing in Italy for 3 matches then all those stats might have been "simulated", as I said earlier, before your arrival .
When you have the time and if you remember about it, try to see if you can view the older matches of the league before you jumped in. If you can, I stand corrected. Otherwise, you'll soon notice the trend I mentioned with most assists coming from wingbacks and fullbacks

I'm really curious, so let me know!

They appear to have been simulated, as expected.
I can click the results for the entire season but i can only view the review and the stats. No analysis, formations, view matches etc.

It also seems like i forgot to save after my first match with Roma as i had a match the same day as my appointment. I've played that one match but not the other 2 that i did play.
I wanted to check the stats for the Norwegian top division but they have just started a new season, playing only 2 rounds so it won't be a good source to check.

If i remember, after i've played a full season in Italy (whenever that will happen, and hoping i won't be sacked) i can try to get back to you.
IF i remember :D Hoping for the best.
 

Edited by roykela
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2020 at 15:25, 91427 said:

Any solution to the lack of central chance creation? Any way in the in-game editor to make opposition defences not play ridiculously narrow every game? 

Hmmm, yes the in-game editor :) - But would never cheat though, some people would - but it´s really not my style. Spoils the fun of the game :)

Edited by Toonrock
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Federico said:

I hope everyone got the meaning of your post. Not sure, but I hope so.

I'm not sure everyone care to that extent, Federico. Perhaps some people just enjoy the game as long as they can replicate their tactical ideas onto the pitch and occasionally see some beautiful football. Not sure we'll ever reach the perfection some are chasing after, but I hope so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2036414982

 

The first 15 games of the season saw my squad with a conversion rate of 4%, I was struggling at 9th position and being expected to win everything I was under threat. My Gateshead board doesn´t mess around and they don´t negotiate. My stats were in nr 1 in everything essential from chances created to shots on target, very few from long range. I was angry, frustrated and didn´t have a clue, my whole team seems to be on happy pills since there havn´t been any morale issues. I was very reluctant to touch my tactics, I could see they were working on the pitch as I was having dozens of clear cut chances, even missed 7 out of 8 penalties.

 

Without any changes to tactics or general approach to team talks things all of a sudden changed, the last 9 games saw me go from 4% to 9% conversion rate and move up the table to 2nd place ... at least the board is now satisfied. 3-5 goals scored each game and thumping of Man Utd. at home by 6-1. But why? I checked stats and the only thing that has changed is that my strikers are now scoring on the same chances, I even put my last 3 penalties away. Stats are unchanged from relative to all other clubs, that goes for both defensive and offensive stats, I just have far more efficient strikers now.

 

Now I am scratching my head, why?

 

Could it be that my training load is low at the start of the season? that still doesn´t explain all the missed one on ones from the "world footballer of the year" who actually was busy winning the World Cup before pre-season, he was very fit. (I don´t touch training)

Could it be arbitrary changes in staff? I am getting sniped all  the time due to the lack of good coaches in 2042, some leave for manager jobs.

Could it be too many pre-season friendlies?  I usually do about 8

Could it be my captains? ... I will admit that they aren´t the best of the best, I would say "good" ... but not world class leaders.

 

The last evil match saw me lose at home to Watford in the PL, 32-2 on target and I lost 2-3, I almost threw my mouse but remembered it cost me 200 Euro .... I was furious, frustrated and in all honesty also very sad. FM wasn´t fun nor even remotely realistic, one game or two yes .... but when all games are like banging your head against a wall ... especially with a stupid board like the one I have ... things become hairy and unsettling. Then it all changes and I have no clue why ... feedback would be nice, there is none I can find ... at least not anything related to the absolute blindness that sometimes affects those trying to score.

 

... and then there is the quarantine, it´s driving me mad I think.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

RNG - Random Number Generator

Game use some RNG. I don't know what %; but from FM19 to FM20 has been increased.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites

Without wanting to sound unkind here, I think - based on seeing a number of threads you've made - you think there's a much more linear correlation between hard numbers you can read and what should be happening.

Not all headers in the box are equal. Not all long shots are equal. Even in situations where two shots taken from the same spot are exactly the same; Cadoni is right, there's an element of RNG. So maybe one day your player scores a goal that he's only expected to score one time in a hundred... Maybe another time your player misses a chance where they'd be expected to score nine times out of ten.

Your sample size for this stuff is really small to the point that it's almost irrelevant statistically... 15 games is hardly anything. Consider how low the conversion rates are in general, with top sides getting around about 10%. So over 20 shots, what's the difference in goals scored required to chance a conversion rate from 5% to 10%? Just one. A player scoring one out of 20 shots and a player scoring two out of 20 shots... Really not that different.

There's then a massive range of other variables; Form and momentum are very real things in the game, once you win you'll find it easier to win the next game, once you lose you'll find it harder to win the next game. The teams you play against also have their own form to take into account in addition to the obvious fact that they are going to be of varying different qualities. In particular you mention a 6-1 win against Man United; Did their goalie have a shocker in that match? If so then your scoring six is just as much to do with his failings as anything else and what do those 6 goals do to your conversion rate? I'd assume scoring 6 in one match increases it by a considerable margin. Understand this; The conversion rates aren't something you expect to be consistent across every match, they're something that you work out in aggregate and they include aberrations like your 6-1. It's entirely possible that another team had their "6-1" result earlier in the season than you did.

You mentioned a striker who'd just won the World Cup... Sure, maybe he'd have been fully fit coming into the season. But he might also have been tired, particularly if you had long cup runs and a run in Europe the season before. If he's tired he won't perform as well... Then, over the course of the season (assuming you're rotating and not playing him every game), eventually he stops being tired and gets back to form.

Your problems were at the start of the season; Did you have new signings? If so they could be adapting to a new league and missing their own opportunities, or you could have team cohesion be slightly off.

My point being that you seem to focus in on certain numbers and certain things and don't see any change in any of them, individually, that you think accounts for what you describe. But once you understand how incredibly small the difference between 5 and 10% conversion is and you realise the massive number of factors which come into play... Say you have five things which are all slightly off or issues the team you face are having that influence what happens in your match. If each of them is responsible for a 1% decrease in your conversion rate on their own it's practically unnoticeable, but combine them all and you have your 5%.

Essentially you seem to be doing the right thing; Observing your tactics in action, determining that things are working correctly, and persevering rather than shifting things around resulting in, ultimately, things working out to about the standard you expect overall. So on some level you understand that you're basically playing a game of percentages and, provided you've set yourself up correctly, over time the percentages will swing in your favour. But on another level you're asking why you don't see things always work out the same way; That's not how balance of probability works.

It's also not how real life football works. Teams have bad runs despite changing basically nothing. Look at the results Liverpool - who'd been consistently winning basically every game for a year beforehand - had before the shutdown. Out of the blue they lose 4/5 games, including to a team fighting relegation. Sometimes it happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is it with the daft dance the players do when they lose the ball on the touchlines -  I presume it is supposed to represent a stumble - doesn't matter where it happens even outside the opponents penalty area - if it happens then 100% the opposition moves up the field and scores.  Surely the programmers play the game - it is just sooooo repetetive.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, roykela said:

They appear to have been simulated, as expected.
I can click the results for the entire season but i can only view the review and the stats. No analysis, formations, view matches etc.

Ok, that puts my mind at ease. On one hand, this makes me happy because my intuition has not been proved wrong. On the other hand, this makes me a little sad because I do want for this game to work properly.

It's such an amazing game, with so much depht and realism. Football manager DOES get better with each new year.

It's unfortunate that the ME is ruined by this bug, which I repeat is my only concern with the game.

In my mind, all it needs is some balancing: more central play, less "great" chances created but higher conversion rate for those and that's it, the rest is about little details that in now way ruin the overall experience.

Well, I say that as if it was easy, I can only imagine how hard it is to adjust such a complex match engine. 

Edited by Muja
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

Tiki-taka - doesn't work. Atletico Style - doesn't work.

First of all, my intention isn't to "defend" the match engine. Personally, I'm sick to my stomach of set piece and long shot goals and definitely agree there's plenty of room for improvement.

What I don't agree with however, are statements like that one above—"tiki-taka doesn't work", "strikers can't score goals", "AM playmakers are useless".

I've played possession football using a 4-4-2:

j7l52HO.png

zopAydc.png

Strikers were my main goalscorers:

IuSl5oO.png

And now, in League Two, I'm having plenty of success using a 3-4-1-2 and Advanced Playmaker in the AMC slot is my main creator:

46Z7NkM.png

iDdKvVI.png

I think the match engine is far too complex for general statements like that. I understand some styles are easier to create than others, some are guaranteed to bring success while others are not, but to say you can only play "route one", is simply not true.

Edited by Zemahh
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 horas atrás, Novem9 disse:

Tiki-taka - doesn't work.

I'm sorry but, it does work. That's how I play. Unless we have different conception about tiki-taka :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Novem9 said:

omg why people who protect ME always use 'perfection'? All critics not about perfection.

Some styles just stopped to work. Tiki-taka - doesn't work. Atletico Style - doesn't work. All other - just a kind of gegenpressing and route one styles. A lot of examples where players ignore tactical set for play much shorter and use long passing for example

If you buy FPS game you dont say: 'Okay, for now I can use only knife and M4, all other weapons dont work correctly, but not sure we will ever reach the perfection'

FM editions in past gave us possibility to create any styles. For now we are limited. Nobody asked for perfection :seagull:

My biggest gripe with the game basically. Variety in style of play is gone. Feels like basically the ME was designed by Liverpool fans who all want to play Klopp-esque Gegenpress. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is difficult to formulate but I see that FM20 is deeper but not better (or better but dont better :)). I checked old FMs and see that FM20 is modern for sure. But some issues ruined a sence of ME in the end

ME20 is more PA, but his CA is :eek:

Edited by Novem9
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

To clarify the fix wasn't just the banner changing, but a more detailed fix for how the banner system works on the main menu. This means we can update it in the future much simpler without the need for users to download a larger update like this one.

 

7 minutes ago, Kirariuk said:

 

 

today opening steqam makes me download an update of about 200 mb i would like to know what kind of update of football manager and what is this pach

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Garethjohn79 said:

FM still hasn't implemented the managing of nations properly. No interviews or proper contracts, you could even have a proper intro with national anthems played while they line-up.

I don't understand why there is no training schedule for national teams.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2020 at 13:58, Kirariuk said:

 

 

today opening steqam makes me download an update of about 200 mb i would like to know what kind of update of football manager and what is this pach

Info from SI:

It's just an update changing the banner on the main menu. Unfortunately the system that normally does these in a much simpler fashion was broken previously, hence why the update is larger than it would be normally when we update something like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there used to be an option to ask your board for an affiliate club in order to send players out on loan to secure work permits - is that option not available anymore?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the point of the end of season meeting with the squad to discuss next season?  I just finished 11th in the Bundesliga after we were predicted to finish second bottom.  When asked about next season I told the squad I thought we could avoid relegation, whereupon every single one of them thought I was being too optimistic.  Despite the fact we'd just stayed up by 8 points... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

IGE (In-Game Editor)

I have found that when you go to Preferences - All; you have to enable (tick) "Show In-Game Editor in the Menu Bar" for both categories to be activated. Otherwise, if you tick the first one, IGE isn't activated - showed at the game. Look at the pictures.

ige_issue_1.thumb.png.265ddeb37cfea817eeae4aeec9dbf4dc.png

Here is the second time you need to do that under "INTERFACE".

ige_issue_2.thumb.png.1f79f3c1f56643e4cee51bb71fb1d0ec.png

That's why people complain about "I have activated IGE via Preferences, but when I am go to the game is not activated".

So, requires both two "ticks".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, StevehFC said:

Played a new save for around 8 months on the new update. Had to uninstall this game due to how bad the ME is. Can't believe SI are happy with the way ME is. Will be holding off on FM21 if these issues are still there. 

Wait, they said they are happy with the ME? I simply don't believe that. Nobody can tell this ME is good and fun and be serious about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marko1989 said:

Wait, they said they are happy with the ME? I simply don't believe that. Nobody can tell this ME is good and fun and be serious about that.

I don't think there will ever be a point they are fully happy with the ME and nor should there be. But there is a point in every cycle where they need to then focus on the next iteration of the game.

The people complaining in April/May that more ME updates are needed will be the same ones complaining there are flaws in the ME when the game comes out in November.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me show you something interesting about RNG factor of the game.

Testing a tactic. Real players, real all.

- No IGE (In-Game Editor)
- No FMRTE
- Responsibility (all to me)
- Disable First Transfer Window Activity
- 3 Slots Full for Max Tactical Familiarity

1st Test - Half Season - Premier League - Norwich

1.thumb.jpg.b607e83f10c3c3555fb0bc1c77417b06.jpg

2nd Test - Half Season - Premier League - Norwich

2.thumb.jpg.4fea4ea36f8f3b3cecc1e320af3e490e.jpg

Currently, I am running more tests to see the RNG factor of the game.

Since FM19, RNG factor seems double % boost.

Well, that tell me "it's not my tactic" issue.

It's RNG issue with the game.

UPDATE

3rd Test

3.thumb.jpg.a1cfa74740dbf7d695b1416ce6dd154d.jpg

Edited by Guest
wrong word
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started a new save with Coventry in England League One. Through the first six matches:

  • Scored 10 goals, 9 of which were from set pieces
  • Conceded 2 goals, both from set pieces

Virtually every highlight has been a waste of time unless it was a corner, free kick, or penalty. Also, every match has been a clean sheet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cadoni said:

Let me show you something interesting about RNG factor of the game.

Testing a tactic. Real players, real all.

- No IGE (In-Game Editor)
- No FMRTE
- Responsibility (all to me)
- Disable First Transfer Window Activity
- 3 Slots Full for Max Tactical Familiarity

1st Test - Half Season - Premier League - Norwich

1.thumb.jpg.b607e83f10c3c3555fb0bc1c77417b06.jpg

2nd Test - Half Season - Premier League - Norwich

2.thumb.jpg.4fea4ea36f8f3b3cecc1e320af3e490e.jpg

Currently, I am running more tests to see the RNG factor of the game.

Since FM19, RNG factor seems double % boost.

Well, that tell me "it's not my tactic" issue.

It's RNG issue with the game.

UPDATE

3rd Test

3.thumb.jpg.a1cfa74740dbf7d695b1416ce6dd154d.jpg

A few questions.

Did the other teams use the same tactics in all tests?

Did the other teams use the same players in all tests?

Did the other teams have no injuries in all the tests?

Did the other teams have same morale in all the tests?

Did your team have no injuries in all the tests?

Did your team use the same players in all the tests? and so on.

There has to be a degree of randomness and that is proven by you tests but is not a conclusion, all teams are managed and they make decisions that none of us FM'ers can do anything about. If I managed my squad in a different way than I do I would get different results, but I watch every second and change my tactics probably more than 10 times a game, tweaks here and there to react to what is going on. Jurgan Klopp and his Liverpool team are no an accident, he has a highly motivated squad and is constantly jumping around the technical area shouting out instructions. This happens in the game as well. You will get different results as there has to be random actions going on to make it realistic. Imagine the psychics involved in a 20 yard shot that either hits the cross bar or just dips under it. A few inches is the difference between a win, lose or draw in game and in real life.

Just enjoy the game, I am having a great time with my save.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

More and more i play this game, another hundred hours here and there, the game just seems more and more.. random. Stats seem meaningless. 25 yard one touch screamers from opposition 9 long shot 11 finishing CM's. Player value, stats, form? Doesn't seem relevant. My high value dude will get beaten out of the press and the opposition will score another long shot with a rubbish player. Boring

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

A few questions.

Did the other teams use the same tactics in all tests?

Did the other teams use the same players in all tests?

Did the other teams have no injuries in all the tests?

Did the other teams have same morale in all the tests?

Did your team have no injuries in all the tests?

Did your team use the same players in all the tests? and so on.

There has to be a degree of randomness and that is proven by you tests but is not a conclusion, all teams are managed and they make decisions that none of us FM'ers can do anything about. If I managed my squad in a different way than I do I would get different results, but I watch every second and change my tactics probably more than 10 times a game, tweaks here and there to react to what is going on. Jurgan Klopp and his Liverpool team are no an accident, he has a highly motivated squad and is constantly jumping around the technical area shouting out instructions. This happens in the game as well. You will get different results as there has to be random actions going on to make it realistic. Imagine the psychics involved in a 20 yard shot that either hits the cross bar or just dips under it. A few inches is the difference between a win, lose or draw in game and in real life.

Just enjoy the game, I am having a great time with my save.
 

Seems like you haven't read my post and you don't understand what I am saying.

Keep playing your save please.

:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cadoni said:

Let me show you something interesting about RNG factor of the game.

Testing a tactic. Real players, real all.

- No IGE (In-Game Editor)
- No FMRTE
- Responsibility (all to me)
- Disable First Transfer Window Activity
- 3 Slots Full for Max Tactical Familiarity

1st Test - Half Season - Premier League - Norwich

1.thumb.jpg.b607e83f10c3c3555fb0bc1c77417b06.jpg

2nd Test - Half Season - Premier League - Norwich

2.thumb.jpg.4fea4ea36f8f3b3cecc1e320af3e490e.jpg

Currently, I am running more tests to see the RNG factor of the game.

Since FM19, RNG factor seems double % boost.

Well, that tell me "it's not my tactic" issue.

It's RNG issue with the game.


That's not randomness, that is limited AI.

First half of Season Norwich are seen as the Underdog, so most AI Teams try to crush them and Play attacking tactics.

Second half of the Season this reverses for a lot of sides, as NOrwich are now considers equal/favorites, they Keep Things tight and finally punish the "no defenders super tacticz" used 24/7. On the odd additonal Occasion.

If the AI of the game were smart, that would all happen from match day 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Svenc said:


That's not randomness, that is limited AI.

First half of Season Norwich are seen as the Underdog, so most AI Teams try to crush them and Play attacking tactics.

Second half of the Season this reverses for a lot of sides, as NOrwich are now considers equal/favorites, they Keep Things tight and finally punish the "no defenders super tacticz" used 24/7. On the odd additonal Occasion.

If the AI of the game were smart, that would all happen from match day 1.

Both was half seasons, until 27 Dec 2019.

After 27 Dec 2019, close the game. Re-start the game and again.

BLACK ECHO is good, but maybe I have created something good. :-)

Thanks for your comment!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cadoni said:

Seems like you haven't read my post and you don't understand what I am saying.

Keep playing your save please.

:-)

I did and I do, but do you really expect the three seasons to be exactly the same. That would actually be more worrying. There has to be randomness in the game and then we micro manage each situation to our best abilities.

Don't get me wrong here, I do like your post and your efforts in trying out tests but I think that there are so many facets in the ME that you will always get a broad set of results if left to play out un-managed and no human interaction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

I did and I do, but do you really expect the three seasons to be exactly the same. That would actually be more worrying. There has to be randomness in the game and then we micro manage each situation to our best abilities.

Don't get me wrong here, I do like your post and your efforts in trying out tests but I think that there are so many facets in the ME that you will always get a broad set of results if left to play out un-managed and no human interaction.

I am not talking about ME.

I am talking about the % of randomness (RNG factor).

Also, I am testing tactics in test league (-s) enviroment with every possible aspect of game, not doing randomness (frozen players, contracts, managers unsackable etc) and did notice that I have huge difference between seasons (5 seasons test). I am talking about 850 matches test, so % of RNG factor must be decreased. Nope. X team across 5 season have collected 179 points, 130 points, 163 points, 142 points, 155 points. There is a huge gap between 130 - 179 with ideal players, ideal conditions etc.

As I have said before, that % of randomness has been increased a lot from FM19; which was more stable.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cadoni said:

I am not talking about ME.

I am talking about the % of randomness (RNG factor).

Also, I am testing tactics in test league (-s) enviroment with every possible aspect of game, not doing randomness (frozen players, contracts, managers unsackable etc) and did notice that I have huge difference between seasons (5 seasons test). I am talking about 850 matches test, so % of RNG factor must be decreased. Nope. X team across 5 season have collected 179 points, 130 points, 163 points, 142 points, 155 points. There is a huge gap between 130 - 179 with ideal players, ideal conditions etc.

As I have said before, that % of randomness has been increased a lot from FM19; which was more stable.

But it is only the match engine that controls all of this so leaving it to do its own thing so to speak has to different test results, if Man City got relegated then yes, there would be concern (not from me as I am Man UTD) The swing in points is 49 and that is less than 10 points per season which is not that much really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JordanMillward_1 changed the title to Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...