Football Manager 2020 January & February Transfer Updates Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor 4 Minuten schrieb jmc1980:

If I don't start a new game, what am I actually missing out on in this update?

20.4.0 Update Changes including (but not limited to):
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Further database updates covering February transfer window
- Fix for 'Disable First Transfer Window Activity'
- Competition tweaks and updates across a number of leagues 

Those things need a new save.  (Disable First transfer could work, if you are early in a save)

37 minutes ago, Welshace said:

The only feedback I can give is that this version is going to go down as my least played as I have no plans to continue playing having seen certain issues haven't been fixed that I consider massively important to the experience.. to say i'm disappointed would be massively understating it, and my faith in the company in terms of taking the game forward has taken a beating...

I hope i'm wrong, we'll see for next edition.

fair play for saying this. you've been a strong contributor to the community for a long time and I think given the last two years people need to start speaking up like this as you have done there above. well done

1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

You are right to an extent, but the point about the FM17 comparison was about balance - that even though the defence doesn't simulate things as well as FM20 with its pressing and LOE/LOD options, it is far better balanced between attack and defence - teams come out and give you a game which makes for a much better gaming experience. 

You can't seriously improve the defensive side of a football game without also balancing that with attacking changes in the same ME version, otherwise you get what we have this year - a one dimensional unbalanced mess, where virtually every game is played like a Mourinho-about-to-be-sacked bus-parking horror show unless the teams are of matching reputation and form.

I've seen a lot of people talking about how we should just go back to the FM17 engine as if that's the way forward, and I don't think it is.  "Teams come out and give you a game" and for the most part got absolutely battered because they weren't smart enough to sit back, and even if they did the defensive part of the game was as such they ended up getting rolled over anyway. 

This community asked for a smarter AI for years, and these are some of the steps the game has taken to improve that aspect.

Again, I agree the attacking part of the game isn't where it should be, but it's also not like it's impossible to score goals. Teams are harder to break down, but the game still allows for plenty of goals.

People are acting like the previous FM's were some glorious creations when they were equally as frustrating. My FM19 save with Napoli resulted in practically no one coming forward against me and it was boring at times (especially when Juventus at home sat back with everyone except a 37 yr old Ronaldo in their own half), and it was an absolute pain in the arse to break them down, but that's the the development that people have been asking for for years. 

Again the question remains, would people on here rather have an AI and a tactical creator that doesn't allow you to have a set up defensive system like FM19 provides? 

1 hour ago, Mitja said:

You won't miss any of those new instructions with FM17. Teams will normally defend narrower when ball reaches penalty area. I wonder how's LOE any different to what's been called simply Closing Down? Defensive Width option is good idea but it's implementation is poor or very one dimensional. All teams are using it with more defensive tactics which shouldn't be the case. It's use should be limited against narrow formations or against teams that have extra men in midfield. You never see team defending so narrow leaving flanks totally open. 

Hard disagree on this tbh. To act like what we've got now doesn't provide us with a far more refined defensive system is silly imo. FM17 gave you a defensive line and closing down instructions. FM20 gives us defensive line, LOE, defensive width,  pressing down urgency, as well as the transition options of instantly regrouping upon losing the ball to solidify shape, or counter pressing to disrupt your shape. We have so many more options now, and it's a far better system than that of old. 

All teams are using it because for the most part all teams like to get compact and narrow and force balls into the box where they feel comfortable defending crosses. Atletico Madrid did this to Liverpool just last week. 

Edited by WelshMourinho

Gerade eben schrieb Cadoni:

@KUBI

Do we need to clear the cache folder after update?

That's always a good idea, but not a must. If you encounter crashes or graphical issues this could fix it.

Thanks for all your work SI.

We ALL want a better game. There is no way, literally no way SI think “yep, that’s it. We’ve cracked it. This game can not be improved. It’s perfect”.

There needs to be perspective. Everything they tell us is correct. It’s a process. It strikes me that some people here believe SI to be some kind of wizard or something. Like it can all just magically happen when we click our fingers.

There have been some great critical posts in this thread. When I say great, I mean constructive, well thought out and well executed. They are so obvious it’s crazy. I have no doubt these points will be picked up by SI.

I’ve said it before. It’s a journey. A process. I’m sure it’ll still have faults next version. And the next one. And the one after that. As it has in every single previous version. Because it’s a game. It’s entertainment. I’ve enjoyed every version, some more than others for a very long time. But there is always another one. Be disappointed. But be realistic too.

I feel sorry for those not entertained. But it’s not like we’re entitled to this. I’d personally be taking this on the chin and hoping for something more akin to what I want next year. Or maybe the one after. Or after that.

FM has always had quirks, bugs, dodgy decisions. It now makes me laugh when I see one, it’s like a comfy pair of slippers, because not once, not EVER has it stopped me playing the game. It always works. I can always pick a team hit continue and play a match. Always.

Sorry we haven’t had a ME update. Oh well. It happens.

SI should be in a position to say whether or not they plan another ME patch. They're either working on something that they're planning on getting out or they're done and focus is now on 21. I completely get not committing to time frames for expected patches, this isnt like that though. They'll know whether or not there is a plan for another patch and lots of people are holding off on their career saves on depending on this information, positive or not.

6 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

I've seen a lot of people talking about how we should just go back to the FM17 engine as if that's the way forward, and I don't think it is.  "Teams come out and give you a game" and for the most part got absolutely battered because they weren't smart enough to sit back, and even if they did the defensive part of the game was as such they ended up getting rolled over anyway. 

This community asked for a smarter for years, and these are some of the steps the game has taken to improve.

Again, I agree the attacking part of the game isn't where it should be, but it's also not like it's impossible to score goals. Teams are harder to break down, but the game still allows for plenty of goals.

People are acting like the previous FM's were some glorious creations when they were equally as frustrating. My FM19 save with Napoli resulted in practically no one coming forward against me and it was boring at times (especially when Juventus at home sat back with everyone except a 37 yr old Ronaldo in their own half), and it was an absolute pain in the arse to break them down, but that's the the development that people have been asking for for years. 

Again the question remains, would people on here rather have an AI and a tactical creator that doesn't allow you to have a set up defensive system like FM19 provides? 

Yes but on this FM the way to win is to play a high press counter attack and keep your teams morale very high. That's all it is. There aren't a variety of ways to win. If you high press counter attack and keep your morale very high then you'll win. The tactical sense doesn't apply anymore. There's only one guaranteed way to win.

2 minutes ago, limey150781 said:

SI should be in a position to say whether or not they plan another ME patch. They're either working on something that they're planning on getting out or they're done and focus is now on 21. I completely get not committing to time frames for expected patches, this isnt like that though. They'll know whether or not there is a plan for another patch and lots of people are holding off on their career saves on depending on this information, positive or not.

They don't plan another ME patch. The best thing you can do now is provide as much evidence/concrete arguments as to why and how the ME should be changed, and if you aren't satisfied, vote with your feet next time and don't buy FM21. 

Nothing from SI as to why no further ME updates. They would’ve known days/weeks ago that this was the final version of the ME. would have been nice to have let us all know to be honest. This way people could’ve either started a new long term save or deleted the game, which ever was their preference. Instead we were all sat on a fence waiting. It a real shame as the rest of the game is very good. 

2 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

Yes but on this FM the way to win is to play a high press counter attack and keep your teams morale very high. That's all it is. There aren't a variety of ways to win. If you high press counter attack and keep your morale very high then you'll win. The tactical sense doesn't apply anymore. There's only one guaranteed way to win.

I personally don't employ a high press counter attack and I'm winning plenty. 

2 minutes ago, Pyeman31 said:

Nothing from SI as to why no further ME updates. They would’ve known days/weeks ago that this was the final version of the ME. would have been nice to have let us all know to be honest. This way people could’ve either started a new long term save or deleted the game, which ever was their preference. Instead we were all sat on a fence waiting. It a real shame as the rest of the game is very good. 

Pretty sure ME updates don’t affect saves. Apart from messing with your tactics of course.

2 minutes ago, Pyeman31 said:

Maybe because this isn't the final version? We've had a public beta that included ME changes, and they released 20.2.4 which was solely a ME update. Unless I'm mistaken and they've said otherwise, we could easily see another update for the ME. I'm sure this is the most updates and post game support we've had for an FM before.

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to bear in mind, we ask whilst people raise their feedback here to be respectful of other users, the moderating team and the development team. Thanks. 

Since this, we've already had to hand out infractions. If you can't be respectful, you're going to be removed from thread immediately.

4 minutes ago, Pyeman31 said:

That's exactly where I am, I want to start my definite long term save, but I have to wait to know if all the changes are gonna be save compatible...

Well lesson learnt.

Adding up all the ME engines on release and all this waiting for the final "non save compatible" patch, I'm NOT buying FM21 until the last patch is out.

16 minutes ago, KUBI said:

That's always a good idea, but not a must. If you encounter crashes or graphical issues this could fix it.

Thanks KUBI :thup:

Now to decide whether I should start again or just keep going ( I'm just at the start of January first season ) 

15 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

They don't plan another ME patch. The best thing you can do now is provide as much evidence/concrete arguments as to why and how the ME should be changed, and if you aren't satisfied, vote with your feet next time and don't buy FM21. 

They dont plan ME patches? They start working on them at some point which constitutes planning. Ultimately at some point they stop working on FM20 and focus on the next game. I think it's fair to know if that is the case. 

17 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

With what team? Screenshot your tactics or provide a game file. 

I'm currently using this system. I used a different one last year to get impressive results but ran out of time to stay up. My width setting changes regularly, depending on the opposition.

Stoke City_ Overview-2.png

Stoke City_ Overview-4.png

Edited by WelshMourinho

Just now, limey150781 said:

They dont plan ME patches? They start working on them at some point which constitutes planning. Ultimately at some point they stop working on FM20 and focus on the next game. I think it's fair to know if that is the case. 

Just now, Jimmious7 said:

Are we sure there were no ME changes or speculating because they are not explicitly written? 

I wonder if we could get an answer to that

It would be unprecedented if they made another ME patch. It has never happened before to my recollection. They have probably started working on FM21 already. I am not affiliated with SI so obviously I don't know this for sure but it would be out of the ordinary, 

1 minute ago, WelshMourinho said:

I'm currently using this system. I used a different one last year to get impressive results but ran out of time to stay up. My width setting changes regularly, depending on the opposition.

Stoke City_ Overview-2.png

You only have two players with their roles set to attack, a high line of engagement, a high defensive line, and counter ticked. To me this constitutes a high press, counter attacking style regardless of whether the style says "counter" or not. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmious7 said:

Are we sure there were no ME changes or speculating because they are not explicitly written? 

I wonder if we could get an answer to that

ME changes are nearly always written and any change would change the ME number in game status. I haven't loaded the update yet, but if that's not changed, that would 100% confirm no ME change

6 minutes ago, Travis Bickle said:

You only have two players with their roles set to attack, a high line of engagement, a high defensive line, and counter ticked. To me this constitutes a high press, counter attacking style regardless of whether the style says "counter" or not. 

I've used two systems, I edited the second one in.

I'm also not sure what only having two roles set to attack would have anything to do with it. It's a 4-2-3-1, I think sticking another attacking role in would be absolute suicide lol

Edited by WelshMourinho

Game loads quicker with the last update. I appreciate the effort SI has put into polishing the gameplay. It's smoother and quite enjoyable.

As for the ME, it grows on you if you don't hunt for it's imperfections.

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

ME changes are nearly always written and any change would change the ME number in game status. I haven't loaded the update yet, but if that's not changed, that would 100% confirm no ME change

Can someone check that fastly? I find it very weird that even though there are numerous issues logged and set as "being worked on" in the ME Bugs forum no change happened

Just now, Jimmious7 said:

Can someone check that fastly? I find it very weird that even though there are numerous issues logged and set as "being worked on" in the ME Bugs forum no change happened

Unfortunately. It is still ME 2040

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

The only feedback I can give is that this version is going to go down as my least played as I have no plans to continue playing having seen certain issues haven't been fixed that I consider massively important to the experience.. to say i'm disappointed would be massively understating it, and my faith in the company in terms of taking the game forward has taken a beating...

I hope i'm wrong, we'll see for next edition.

I was going to say that those are harsh words for a moderator, then i looked at your profile and saw you were not part of the moderating team anymore. :D

44 dakika önce, WelshMourinho said:

I think playing against AI games most important factor is competent AI and the simulation not about whatever toy is available to player. It is not about returning back.

For myself also setpiece instructions and training is unnecessary if AI don't have code to counter.

Edited by baris28

18 minutes ago, SJP Eternal said:

It appears to be working for me, my transfer budget is £0.

Thanks, unless you are playing my club Sheff Wed and that could actually still be their budget......:lol:

25 minutes ago, andu1 said:

I was going to say that those are harsh words for a moderator, then i looked at your profile and saw you were not part of the moderating team anymore. :D

Being a Mod does not exclude us from having opinions ( sometimes strong) on the game remembering that we are all players as well.  The difference is that we may have to express our opinions in a different way

So I can't reply to people I disagree with. Fine.

I'll make a standalone comment, don't let people tell you you are not entitled to enjoy a product that you bought. Voice your opinion, it's a transaction and if you are unhappy with the product, it's your right to voice that. 

SI is already heavily insulated from criticism because of a lack of competition, god forbid 10 people on this thread say anything negative.

I finished my save about a week ago now and had been waiting for this patch to drop before starting a new one. I've read through the thread since the patch was confirmed and it feels like there is some ambiguity over whether there will be further updates. When I look at the Football Manager Twitter announcement it says that this is the second and final part of the winter update so that feels a little bit more like saying it's done (even if it is still left open). This is normally the final update in the FM calendar so it would be good to know if there is an intention to release another patch and then I will hold off starting a new save proper for now.

We can only comment from looking at previous years- the final data update in Feb/Mar is usually the last of the major updates and the only reason for anything extra to that would be to fix a game breaking ( being unable to run the game ) issue, which would need a hotfix.  These cant be predicted so cant be pre-advised.

15 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

I finished my save about a week ago now and had been waiting for this patch to drop before starting a new one. I've read through the thread since the patch was confirmed and it feels like there is some ambiguity over whether there will be further updates. When I look at the Football Manager Twitter announcement it says that this is the second and final part of the winter update so that feels a little bit more like saying it's done (even if it is still left open). This is normally the final update in the FM calendar so it would be good to know if there is an intention to release another patch and then I will hold off starting a new save proper for now.

Time to start a new game like me then :D

Just played and watched a whole match and there is a difference in the ME without a doubt, my players changed for the better and the opposition did not play as well due to lesser attributes, the whole dynamics of the game was different.  More space, better and worse passing showed up due to this, come on folks, give it a go. If you are reading this you own the game ( or if you don't you are really sad) Tweak the tactics and get back into it. Play footie and have fun.

4 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

Just played and watched a whole match and there is a difference in the ME without a doubt, my players changed for the better and the opposition did not play as well due to lesser attributes, the whole dynamics of the game was different.  More space, better and worse passing showed up due to this, come on folks, give it a go. If you are reading this you own the game ( or if you don't you are really sad) Tweak the tactics and get back into it. Play footie and have fun.

The ME hasn't changed, there is no difference.