I need 2 from 6 runner-up teams to qualify from group stage

Carlito85

I'm creating a 24-team group stage (6 groups) where the top team qualifies for the quarter final, but I also need the best two runner-up sides to qualify by points and then goal difference (if needed). Is this possible?

1 minute ago, krlenjushka said:

Of course. Just use sub-table for those 2nd placed teams. Take a look at my FIFA nations league- league 4 settings. I have similar settings because i needed to promote best 4th team.

Brilliant, thanks a lot. I'll take a look at that now :thup:

@krlenjushka Would these numbers be accurate for the sub table?

League Stage Index = 2 (Group Stage is the third round in the competition so I have it listed as Stage 2-2)
Position = 1 (2nd placed teams)
Maximum Teams to Take Into Account = 6 (6 groups)
Minimum Group Size = 4
Maximum Group Size = 4

3 hours ago, krlenjushka said:

Maximum Teams to Take Into Account = 4 because you have 4 teams in group.

I just ran a test and it's grabbing 3rd placed teams instead of 2nd place, even though I set the position number as 1. Have I done that wrong?

51 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

Dont know. Upload your file and i will take a look

I managed to fix that issue by changing the value to 0. It must be a case of the top team being ignored as they have already qualified, and so 0 equates to 2nd place in this instance - 2nd being the highest team not to qualify.

The other issue I'm having is that it seems to be picking 2nd placed teams at random instead of it being based on who has the highest points and then goal difference. I can't see an option to set points total as the priority.

EDIT: Just found the store results (used when calculating sub-tables) tick box.

Edited by Carlito85

You should take a look at my FIFA Nations League file. You need to create that league stage for second placed teams. You only made changes to group settings but stage is never added.

Check FIFA League 4 stages 0 and 1.

34 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

You should take a look at my FIFA Nations League file. You need to create that league stage for second placed teams. You only made changes to group settings but stage is never added.

Check FIFA League 4 stages 0 and 1.

I had a look at it earlier but I was a bit confused as to what some of the stuff meant.

For example stage 1 is for 4th placed teams but won't they only play against each other due to it being a playoff stage?

Its simple. You have settings in group stage under group settings section and you have to create stage like i did. My stage was stage 1 - in yout case stage 3 i think. Just set like this and thats it.

They dont play against each other - just fictional league stage with 2nd (in my case 4th) placed teams. Just like second placed teams table in euro qualifications(real life) on livescore.

1 hour ago, krlenjushka said:

Its simple. You have settings in group stage under group settings section and you have to create stage like i did. My stage was stage 1 - in yout case stage 3 i think. Just set like this and thats it.

They dont play against each other - just fictional league stage with 2nd (in my case 4th) placed teams. Just like second placed teams table in euro qualifications(real life) on livescore.

In your file I noticed they're promoted to another competition (league 4 to league 3). Do I need to use the promotion method too in order to get them to the quarter final? This is throwing me off a bit.

2 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

No. Just take a look how stage is set. Qualification rules or fate actions are different based on what you want to achive with that stage.

So I wouldn't use the league fate "qualify team for competition (using positions)", because they're not qualifying for another competition. Have I got that right?

Sorry, man. I've never done this before lol it's totally new to me.

15 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

yeah thats my setting for nations league. You set qualification for next stage and set new fate for group stage - i guess team should get Q letter for qulification in your case.

In Stage 1 you have the "extra league games" box ticked under league settings along with "don't rank teams using this stage" in other stage flags. Would these be the games that are calculated from stage 0 in my case?

7 hours ago, Carlito85 said:

My game is crashing when I try to run an in-game test now lol. Classic form on my part.

@krlenjushka

EDIT: Got this file 99% done. The only issue I'm having is that the quarter final will only grab one runner-up from the hidden stage. One of the runners-up is being replaced by Real Madrid or Man Utd.

UEFA Revival 37.fmf

Edited by Carlito85

15 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

Saved the XML as a .fmf file and got an application error crash when starting a new save.

Add space for team appears to be the issue. I got the same problem earlier when using that.

Edited by Carlito85

Some default competitions are also without that option from this version. I just checked. Will try to set like they did. Its strange my FIFA Nations League works with this option. Its set on editor 19 so its probably reason why it works.

2 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

Some default competitions are also without that option from this version. I just checked. Will try to set like they did. Its strange my FIFA Nations League works with this option. Its set on editor 19 so its probably reason why it works.

Thanks man. This has had me stumped all day lol.

28 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

its ok now only Q letter is not added.UEFA Revival 37.xml

Nice! It's all working now. The highlighted qualification spots disappeared though, not sure why.

Anyway the fact that it's running as it should is what counts. Thanks so much for your help :applause:

9 hours ago, krlenjushka said:

What do you think how i learned everything i know about editor? I had many many days like that. And nights TBH :D

Same way here. I am still walking that learning curve. All you can do is build, build, build and try to find out why something that looks logical, doesn't work and why something that doesn't look logical, does work.

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Same way here. I am still walking that learning curve. All you can do is build, build, build and try to find out why something that looks logical, doesn't work and why something that doesn't look logical, does work.

Yeah a lot of it is trial and error. I think that's how I managed to progress with this file to be honest lol.

@krlenjushka Is there any way to get the green highlights back for the qualification places? Also for future reference how did you get the runner-up issue working?

Also this seems to have caused a bug regarding the Intertoto Cup teams qualifying for the UEFA Cup:

- Intertoto Cup Third Place Playoff winner is now listed as the competition winner
- The Third Place Playoff loser is listed as the third placed team
- The Intertoto Cup Final runner-up is correct
- The actual Intertoto Cup winner doesn't qualify for the UEFA Cup at all

I checked the editor and everything seems to be set as it should be so not sure what is causing this to happen.

Edited by Carlito85

4 hours ago, Carlito85 said:

Yeah a lot of it is trial and error. I think that's how I managed to progress with this file to be honest lol.

@krlenjushka Is there any way to get the green highlights back for the qualification places? Also for future reference how did you get the runner-up issue working?

I changed teams section. Used "add league stage teams" instead of "add space for team". Also i deleted "requirements" list in stage 3 because its not needed. Stage 3 is live table and doesnt have to wait for stage 2 to finish.

You also had at least 10 not needed options thicked. I always speak about this-use minimum options you need because you can never know which option will cause some errors.

Only way to learn about advanced editor is to add 1 option and test it. If you add 5 options and remove 2 old ones you cant know which option caused any change. Its slow but its only way.

For example you added "transfer standings" and "process results into stage" options. No need for that at all.

I often case - people just thick 10 options and when they have some problems they cant solve it. TBH usually when i see file like this i just delete it and continue with my work.

Dont get me wrong - i will always help you but you should be carefull when thick options in editor.

51 minutes ago, Carlito85 said:

Also this seems to have caused a bug regarding the Intertoto Cup teams qualifying for the UEFA Cup:

- Intertoto Cup Third Place Playoff winner is now listed as the competition winner

I checked the editor and everything seems to be set as it should be so not sure what is causing this to happen.

Upload file again i will take a look. That qualification between competitions caused issues several times in last 10 years so im not suprised.

28 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

I changed teams section. Used "add league stage teams" instead of "add space for team". Also i deleted "requirements" list in stage 3 because its not needed. Stage 3 is live table and doesnt have to wait for stage 2 to finish.

You also had at least 10 not needed options thicked. I always speak about this-use minimum options you need because you can never know which option will cause some errors.

Only way to learn about advanced editor is to add 1 option and test it. If you add 5 options and remove 2 old ones you cant know which option caused any change. Its slow but its only way.

For example you added "transfer standings" and "process results into stage" options. No need for that at all.

I often case - people just thick 10 options and when they have some problems they cant solve it. TBH usually when i see file like this i just delete it and continue with my work.

Dont get me wrong - i will always help you but you should be carefull when thick options in editor.

Upload file again i will take a look. That qualification between competitions caused issues several times in last 10 years so im not suprised.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated :thup:

Any idea what caused the qualification colour coding to disappear? With it being xml file I figured it was a non-editor issue?

UEFA Revival 37.fmf

Edited by Carlito85

1 hour ago, Carlito85 said:

You should check how this is set in default UEFA cup. They add lowest possible seeding for teams qualified for UEFA cup from champion league. You have seedings 0 and 1 added to intertoto cup winner and 2nd placed teams so i guess thats the reason. Also i think qualification doesnt work that way anymore. You have many answers in deafult competitions. As you can see (add space for team example) everything can change from version to version. Some option can work on FM19 but not on FM20. Only way to be sure is to create simple 10 teams comp and try to qualify 1 team to another euro comp using every possible option. One by one and test. SI use some "insert in next stage using team mapping" option. I never used this option so i dont know how it works.

29 minutes ago, krlenjushka said:

You should check how this is set in default UEFA cup. They add lowest possible seeding for teams qualified for UEFA cup from champion league. You have seedings 0 and 1 added to intertoto cup winner and 2nd placed teams so i guess thats the reason. Also i think qualification doesnt work that way anymore. You have many answers in deafult competitions. As you can see (add space for team example) everything can change from version to version. Some option can work on FM19 but not on FM20. Only way to be sure is to create simple 10 teams comp and try to qualify 1 team to another euro comp using every possible option. One by one and test. SI use some "insert in next stage using team mapping" option. I never used this option so i dont know how it works.

I should have mentioned that the file is based on the 1997-1999 UEFA setup. 3 UEFA Intertoto Cup teams qualified for the UEFA Cup at that time. I think it's actually to do with the recent update as everything was working fine in version 1.3.

On 25/05/2020 at 16:33, krlenjushka said:

Tried tinkering with the file to fix the Intertoto Cup and I have no idea what is causing the problem. I have the same settings for the Intertoto Cup in file 35 and it works absolutely fine, but in files 36 and 37 it's bugging out. I've made a thread on the bugs forum but considering it works in one file but not another I'm completely out of ideas. I tried removing all of the round fates and it was still doing it.

Here are the files in case you wanna take a look.

UEFA Revival 35.fmf UEFA Revival 36.fmf UEFA Revival 37.fmf

On 28/05/2020 at 14:59, krlenjushka said:

Ok will take a look later.

Solved the third place issue mate. It turned out the ranking levels had defaulted for the rounds.

Just need to figure out if it's possible to get the green highlights back for qualification places

Just now, Carlito85 said:

Solved the third place issue mate. It turned out the ranking levels had defaulted for the rounds.

Just need to figure out if it's possible to get the green highlights back for qualification places

Sorry i forgot to take a look. I want to solve 5 issues at once and sometimes i forgot about something. About qualifucation places - try to use top 2 places settings instead of top/bottom position settings. I changed that because this caused issues 2-3 years ago so i thought maybe its same case again. This probably caused "Q" to disappear.

2 hours ago, krlenjushka said:

Sorry i forgot to take a look. I want to solve 5 issues at once and sometimes i forgot about something. About qualifucation places - try to use top 2 places settings instead of top/bottom position settings. I changed that because this caused issues 2-3 years ago so i thought maybe its same case again. This probably caused "Q" to disappear.

No worries, I'll look into it :thup:

EDIT: That worked a treat. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Carlito85