Help required with Aston Villa

I really need some help on an Aston Villa save. This is my 3rd try managing them and I just can’t seem to avoid getting the sack. I regard myself as an okay FM player, so not sure what’s going on. Tried a few different tactics across 3 saves so does anyone have any tips or anything to try for someone trying to avoid a hat trick of sackings?

You're not going to be able to get any good advice without a screenshot of your tactic with all the roles and the instructions in English, as well as a brief description of what you want to see, and ideally, things that you have that are going wrong.

However, for more general advice outside of tactics, 

• try your best to keep morale up
    • this can be done by praising or critisising players where it's due, as well as organising friendlies against poor teams in pre season so you rack up lots of big wins
  • Play players on form
    • check the 'last 5 games' tab, and if they have an extremely low rating, drop them for someone else
  • Work on your hierarchy
    • This is slightly more long term, but try and make sure all your team leaders, and most of your highly influential players, are people with good mentals (especially determination and leadership) as well as have a good personality
      • you can do this by trying to phase out your players with bad personality, and brigning in, or promoting, players with good personalities
  • Make sure you have the best staff you can possibly have, and set your staff to take care of training (unless you know what you're doing)
  • Avoid doing the same team talks over and over
    • Some people overuse 'i'm not happy with the performance' and 'i have faith in you'. IIRC, even though your players will still have a positive reaction, the effect will wear off over time, so try mixing it up a little.
  • Make use of the touchline shouts
    • this may be placebo for me, but I'm sure that i complete a lot more comebacks now that I reguarly use these touchline talks. 
Edited by Jack722

On 14/05/2020 at 22:26, edgar street said:

I really need some help on an Aston Villa save. This is my 3rd try managing them and I just can’t seem to avoid getting the sack. I regard myself as an okay FM player, so not sure what’s going on. Tried a few different tactics across 3 saves so does anyone have any tips or anything to try for someone trying to avoid a hat trick of sackings?

You need to post a screenshot of your (current) tactic for starters. We can then analyze it and tell you if there are any obvious flaws and how the tactic can be improved. 

Hi edgar.  I'm a Villa fan and found myself getting sacked on almost every save too.  What I have found through testing is that a seemingly strong tactic (for mid/strong teams, relative to opponents on league) can be totally inadequate for weak teams.  This seems obvious I know, but it does feel more pronounced in FM20 than older versions of the game, which is great imo!

I eventually managed to develop a simple 4411 tactic that worked for Villa, and with a bit of tweaking I was able to consistently win the league with top teams in my testing too.  I am now using this in my lower league save and its doing well for me.  

Appreciate this isn't the 'advice' you were requesting, but as others have said, there isn't much detail in your post.  In any case, I hope the tactic works for you and you can enjoy a decent a save with the Villa!

Edited by Experienced Defender
illegitimate link to another website