Will anyone be buying FM21?

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's where the placebo effect comes in because shooting from distance. My posts going to go down a blunt path, but its not to be personally offensive. When you've set up your tactics not to shoot from distance, but they are anyway its a tactical issue where you're not creating space/opportunities to keep the attack building.

So in that scenario you're addressing a tactical failing by handicapping the ability of the AI to defend against your tactics with changes to the physics.

hace 8 minutos, enigmatic dijo:

Presumably the speed players run and turn at does affect the player position calculations in the ME, but not the decisions. If the decision-making is based on assumptions players move at different speeds, presumably it results in players making worse decisions.

But on the other hand, IF the decision making is based on where the players are at a given time, it could explain why a fast player, now faster because the physical edits, might be more open for that through pass and the midfielder might see him and pass it. So indirectly, a change in the game physics, without changing the decision making process that is not editable, could output a different result that looks like a better decision.

Of course only SI knows how the decision making works. But that is why while I find hard to believe on a few fans being able to generate a better looking ME just editing the physics,  that is a part of a much more complex ME and watching some games to test vs the complex SI testing tools, it might explain why physical changes can lead to different decision making indirectly. But just a theory from somebody that doesn't know the inners as we are just discussing for fun.

Edited by Icy

Just now, Icy said:

But if on the other hand, the decision making is based on where the players are at a given time, it could explain why a fast player, now faster because the physical edits, might be more open for that through pass and the midfielder might see him and pass it. So indirectly, a change in the game physics, without changing the decision making process that is not editable, could output a different result that looks like a better decision.

This is also true. But it can also output a result which looks like a worse decision.

And the decision making logic (and thousands of hours of testing of the decision logic) including the parts of the decision logic which are supposed to make some players better at decision making than others is based on a different set of assumptions about how players move

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Patch aside, I very much agree we could do with more randomness in the ME. Some people might hate it, but football is often unpredictable

There was a 1v1 where a forward ran through on goal and shanked the ball ten yards wide.

Never seen that before

hace 48 minutos, bobbyb12345 dijo:

The "patch" already makes stuff appear significantly more random which, is far more interesting to watch.

Agree and probably it's why I liked the "patch" when I tested it in my save in the UK Conference South level. Resembled more what a low division game should look, I haven't tested it in a more technical and high level division like La Liga in Spain, maybe I wouldn't like it there.

9 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

What's all this patch talk? 

Has the community accessed the game's ME files and edited it or something?

There's a file called physical_constraints.json which sets a few values like the difference between slow walking speed and max speed

It can be edited with any text editor to produce mostly amusing results. Some users of a Korean forum claim their more subtly changed version is "realistic like FIFA"...

Reminds me of playing with the text commentary on CM97/98.

11 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

What's all this patch talk? 

Has the community accessed the game's ME files and edited it or something?

These are some of the things the patch is altering which we surely can agree affect the match engine and if not, then the ME dosent get effected by physics.

I personally feel the matches are better with the changes and notice nothing unrealistic, more chances of randomness, physical players being more physical, speed merchants actually knocking the ball past opponents, no super long back passes to the keeper, no defenders standing around watching, long shots actually going in. It just seems to make things more fluid and much better to watch.

5 hours ago, Impacto said:

Damn, the Koren invasion is going strong! :lol:

While I agree that SI are complacent because there is no competition and that they are holding back, this right now seems like a a few angry teenagers being highly overreactive. I remember a while back something like this happened when there was some issue with the Chinese FM fans and they swarmed the game with bad reviews on steam. While I think you guys have a point, I don't think you're doing any good right now. Like I said, it looks like some angry teens are venting on the forum. 

That being said, the fact that some random dude managed to fix some ME issues and SI can't fix it for a whole year is disturbing. Sure, you have to focus on the next game, but c'mon... don't tell me you can't do better. You can, you just don't have to. Like I said, no competition. 

Here is the issue - the guys at SI don't feel like they are complacent. They think they are doing everything they can. It's not on purpose, they all love what they do and want the game to be better. But competition is the main driver for success and nothing can replace that. If there was competition this thread will not excist. It's a whole different energy. Think of it like this:

If you are sprinting by yourself, you're still sprinting, trying your hardest to reach top speed. But if you're sprinting with someone else and the winner gets $100 at the end, you're pushing way harder. You're giving your all. Again, you're still sprinting very hard with no competition, but it's just not the same intensity when there is. And it's the same in every other aspect of life and business. 

So yeah, unless somebody decides to invest a ton of money and effort to do better or as good as SI, nothing will change much. So no point wasting energy guys, you're hurting yourself in the long run. Just my opinion. :) 

Pretty accurate description of the situation IMO

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Apart from the fact it doesn't fix any ME issues. Again, people can choose whether or not they use, but we really need to stop the misinformation

If it makes the Match Engine more bearable to watch, then it's definitely a fix

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Apart from the fact it doesn't fix any ME issues. Again, people can choose whether or not they use, but we really need to stop the misinformation

I wasn't refering to the patch but the situation with the game as to poster described

I have a lot of questions.

1. I believe you're doing your best. But you were copying the same format over and over again. This is true. New features have been added, but they are only tiny accessories. I wonder if you are proceeding with development with a little complacency because you don't have a competitor.

2. I think it's wrong for consumers to blame prices. However, the price of about $60 seems very expensive compared to the quality of the game. The vast amount of data is understandable. However, it is true that the quality of the economy looks weak as of 2020. The purpose of this game is not graphics but data. But I wonder if you are willing to develop more graphics additionally.

3. Many people feel discontent. I think this game is just a roaster patch. Don't you want to add a more groundbreaking system? The fatal disadvantage of the game is that users have been patching it with a 50 percent stake. This means that the game is very less complete.

4. It was heated by the match engine. How is the development of the match engine taking place? I wonder if the developer is listening to feedback from the users. 

5. I hope you don't take it as a mere accusation. As a user who loves football manager, he makes a fair criticism. I look forward to your sincere reply. Racism is unacceptable under any circumstances.

Hid a post from someone who has a username that wasn't overly appropriate. However, their post was fine so its quoted below.

I have a lot of questions.

1. I believe you're doing your best. But you were copying the same format over and over again. This is true. New features have been added, but they are only tiny accessories. I wonder if you are proceeding with development with a little complacency because you don't have a competitor.

2. I think it's wrong for consumers to blame prices. However, the price of about $60 seems very expensive compared to the quality of the game. The vast amount of data is understandable. However, it is true that the quality of the economy looks weak as of 2020. The purpose of this game is not graphics but data. But I wonder if you are willing to develop more graphics additionally.

3. Many people feel discontent. I think this game is just a roaster patch. Don't you want to add a more groundbreaking system? The fatal disadvantage of the game is that users have been patching it with a 50 percent stake. This means that the game is very less complete.

4. It was heated by the match engine. How is the development of the match engine taking place? I wonder if the developer is listening to feedback from the users. 

5. I hope you don't take it as a mere accusation. As a user who loves football manager, he makes a fair criticism. I look forward to your sincere reply. Racism is unacceptable under any circumstances.

I'll be buying it depending on how covid is implemented (or isn't) in the game. I'm really worried there will be empty stadiums and that the finances will be totally different from usual.

11 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Patch aside, I very much agree we could do with more randomness in the ME. Some people might hate it, but football is often unpredictable

I agree with this. Football is unpredictable or you can call it chaos. In real life you have to find your rhythm or momentum in the chaos. I feel that ME sets the rhythm first and then try to create chaos when it should be other way around.

26 minutes ago, ajt said:

I'll be buying it depending on how covid is implemented (or isn't) in the game. I'm really worried there will be empty stadiums and that the finances will be totally different from usual.

FM has a well established tendency to avoid including elements that are distasteful. You'd probably have to check some of the information posted around by Miles but I believe it may well be the case it has been confirmed coronavirus will not be in the FM series moving forward.

11 hours ago, hehehemann said:

edit..so this post was edited by a moderator "Removed a copy of the changed file" The file information I posted was the original SI version. I was just stating the code changes the "patch" makes must effect the ME. 

Come on Mods..there was no reason for that.

Some people seems to be a bit nervous with this, taking into account that "it does nothing". :lol:

Editing your post when you put an official file, double accounts accusations, hiding lots of posts...

I remember some weeks ago saying in this same thread and via PM to the admin after he did hide my reply to him: SI attitude should be punished by customers. They should remember that they are the ones that need our money, not the opposite.

This is my last post here as this is a joke now, but I will be reading it for fun.

They claim physics doesn't affect match engine and it's true guys, its just how it's represented. Remember that video with extreme numbers in the file that finished 11-5? It doesn't exist in reality.

1 hour ago, santy001 said:

FM has a well established tendency to avoid including elements that are distasteful. You'd probably have to check some of the information posted around by Miles but I believe it may well be the case it has been confirmed coronavirus will not be in the FM series moving forward.

oh brilliant! in that case I'll definitely be buying it :cool:

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, kalokalitokalo said:

Some people seems to be a bit nervous with this, taking into account that "it does nothing". :lol:

Editing your post when you put an official file, double accounts accusations, hiding lots of posts...

I remember some weeks ago saying in this same thread and via PM to the admin after he did hide my reply to him: SI attitude should be punished by customers. They should remember that they are the ones that need our money, not the opposite.

This is my last post here as this is a joke now, but I will be reading it for fun.

They claim physics doesn't affect match engine and it's true guys, its just how it's represented. Remember that video with extreme numbers in the file that finished 11-5? It doesn't exist in reality.

We've always had a history of removing files and tools which aren't officially supported from our forums, this is no different. We've been very clear on the matter these types of changes are not supported by us. 

We've got some fairly basic forum rules which all users agree to when signing up as part of their terms of service. All we ask is that people follow those. 

Thanks. 

Btw, to add someting negative/warning about the "patch", if you watch a game already played before you replaced the json, the game will end with a different result, scorers etc, so instead of watching a replay you are actually replaying it with the new physics.

I guess these are part of the wrong and unknown effects that SI talked about when using a non suported modification, you never know what could happen. 

As I said before, I tried it, liked it for low league games, experimented with it and then removed it as I'm worried about the side effects and anyway I'm sure sooner or later that file will be removed and for sure won't be there in FM21.

On the other hand, I hope SI has learned something from this "social experiment", that is what maybe what the users want from the ME (or visual representation better said) is not exactly what they are providing and that works needs to be done to make it more dynamic and unpredictable.

I know it can be a nightmare to open this can by SI, but more open talk about the ME and what the users expect would be desired. These forums used to be more open in the past or at least that is my perception after 18 years as an user here (damn, registered in 2002!), but the community was smaller and maybe more respectfull then.

On SI defense I'd say that I'm gladly surprised at them allowing all this "patch" talk that is going on after the initial attempts to ban all kind of related conversation that angried me as well. Good to see Neil writing here, with some users talking on a constructive way about it while others just abuse the staff and rules. 

But that is the price of having a passionate user base that also drives the sales and preorders no matter how much we complain, go to paradox forums and you will find the parallelism with similar user base as a lot of manager games fans are also strategic games fans.

Edited by Icy
Corrected a few typos

Open talk can only really work if we leave out misinformation so Neil and others can be heard. After all there's not much point in SI coming in and offering expert information and facts if it's drowned out by false information

And abuse shouldn't be the price. There are loads of passionate people here who offer great constructive feedback to SI without ever getting abusive. That's always got to be the gold standard, and that's when you get the best interaction from everyone

Placebo or not, this is the best version of the match engine I've ever seen.

You spend so long playing with maxed out tactics like telling players to shoot at every opportunity because they never shoot. I'm actually having to tune those tactics down now and I can see the impact on the style of play as a result.

I might stick with this version of FM.

hace 28 minutos, themadsheep2001 dijo:

Open talk can only really work if we leave out misinformation so Neil and others can be heard. After all there's not much point in SI coming in and offering expert information and facts if it's drowned out by false information

And abuse shouldn't be the price. There are loads of passionate people here who offer great constructive feedback to SI without ever getting abusive. That's always got to be the gold standard, and that's when you get the best interaction from everyone

Misinformation was needed for all this talk to be started. Deleting or editing posts or banning people or also counteracting denying facts from mods was not the solution to counteract that misinformation, but to properly explain what the file does and that part of the information was wrong and why, that Neil did later and my props for it, even when an official thread with the whole "patch" thing totally explained would have been probably better. Else you generate anger, frustration, more abuse and more misinformation here and in other forums.

The "patch" (or simply physics json) affects the match engine by changing the players speed, acceleration, and some other parameters used by the ME and not only the visual representation, as it's proven in videos with exagerated parameters in the json. That is an indiscutible fact that was initially denied. Another indiscutible fact is that you can't edit the decision making or the ME AI with that file, that placebo effects also exists and that wrong effects can appear modding that file as Neil properly explained later and that some users don't want to believe, bad for them. What can be discussed is if it makes the game better or not, more or less realistic, etc as that it's more subjective so nobody is totally right or wrong.

I expressed this across different threads and we both had enough talk and maybe we should move it to private or just end it, so I'll leave it here, but I don't agree with how it was initially handled by some mods (others did an awesome work joining the discussion but just imho). Of course that I agree with some mods or not doesn't matter, they are mods and I'm not so your decision prevails, I just express my opinion, hopefully with respect as English is not my main language.

Agree that abusive behavior shouldn't be the price and it should be stopped, in fact that is why I proposed in the past to have a private forum with people with a minimum number of posts, or years in the forums, and that have proven to provide good input, good maturity,  etc, where the ME or other parts of the game could be more openly discussed with the developers as it happened in the past and not only with Neil. But avoiding fake accounts, or abusers that end pissing off the developers or wasting their precious time. I guess that is what the beta forums are for, but maybe, and I'm talking without knowledge, there is not enough people there or maybe it's becoming too endogamic if the same people always talks and new blood from people not in the beta team can also offer new visions, correct or wrong, conservative or disruptive but different. If that is already in place, then props to SI.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Icy said:

Agree that abusive behavior shouldn't be the price and it should be stopped, in fact that is why I proposed in the past to have a private forum with people with a minimum number of posts, or years in the forums, and that have proven to provide good input, good maturity,  etc, where the ME or other parts of the game could be more openly discussed with the developers as it happened in the past and not only with Neil. But avoiding fake accounts, or abusers that end pissing off the developers or wasting their precious time. I guess that is what the beta forums are for, but maybe, and I'm talking without knowledge, there is not enough people there or maybe it's becoming too endogamic if the same people always talks and new blood from people not in the beta team can also offer new visions, correct or wrong, conservative or disruptive but different. If that is already in place, then props to SI.

That's what the private external test is for - with anyone who proves themselves to be insightful and helpful with posts on our bugs forum, we'll look to get them involved. Obviously we can't monitor every single post across the entire community, but generally the users who provide feedback in the best way get noticed.

When I say "the best way" that doesn't mean saying the game is great and making us feel wonderful about the job we do. It's those that ask the right types of questions, analyse the game and how it works and are willing to provide examples and pkms highlighting their points. If someone posts hundreds of threads but all their feedback amounts to is "this is crap" there isn't a whole lot we can do with that. That's why we're always asking, if you want to criticise that's fine, but please do so in a constructive way. Very difficult for us to make potential improvements based on your feedback if we don't understand or don't have examples of the point you're trying to make.  

hace 4 minutos, Neil Brock dijo:

That's what the private external test is for - with anyone who proves themselves to be insightful and helpful with posts on our bugs forum, we'll look to get them involved. Obviously we can't monitor every single post across the entire community, but generally the users who provide feedback in the best way get noticed.

When I say "the best way" that doesn't mean saying the game is great and making us feel wonderful about the job we do. It's those that ask the right types of questions, analyse the game and how it works and are willing to provide examples and pkms highlighting their points. If someone posts hundreds of threads but all their feedback amounts to is "this is crap" there isn't a whole lot we can do with that. That's why we're always asking, if you want to criticise that's fine, but please do so in a constructive way. Very difficult for us to make potential improvements based on your feedback if we don't understand or don't have examples of the point you're trying to make.  

Good to know you already have it, thanks for the info!

Sometimes posting in the bugs forums with pkm and proofs is a bit frustrating experience but agree that is the way to go.

I'll put it this way.

I'll surely buy FM 21 after first patch (I won't be repeating the mistake of getting a release version. NEVER again) and reading users feedbacks, but mostly because I really want to get rid of 20 - worst FM I've played, and I'm in the club since 2010. Frankly, right now I play FM out of habit only, 1vs1, inability to counter, WBs patiently waiting to be closed down before delivering a blocked cross and players not following set-piece instructions, all of that are making an experience barely tolerable. If I hadn't lost my past steam account I'd probably still be playing 18 or even 19, that was worse, but at least I could see a consequence of my tactical choices and strikers could score clear-cut chances.

In my view, getting worse means finally showing that FM is in decline. Most hurtful issues like 1vs1, wing players ignoring opened strikers and dribbling into the post, players getting stuck in counter phase therefore killing the counter etc, all have been addressed multiple times here, so I take it SI crew is at least aware of them. If ME is still unchanged on 21 that would be a clear signal "we don't really care as long as you buy"

Getting FM 21 after a COVID year is a good step to support the studio, but if nothing changes that should only go so far and would be a good time to find another hobby

On a side note. Korean "patch" is of course only a placebo, but reaction to it clearly demonstrates how pissed people are

10 ore fa, Pav_Makarov ha scritto:

Getting FM 21 after a COVID year is a good step to support the studio, but if nothing changes that should only go so far and would be a good time to find another hobby

Just one little thing about this, and not because I want to show any kind of moral. Every software house has been affected by the COVID (smart working, lack of communication and so on) but probably, considering the the thing in the whole, they (in general, not strictly referred to SI) probably have been affected a little less than many other businesses. As much of streaming companies, probably the VG industry suffered the less. Let's not forget people died, not for covid but covid related, because of debts generated by the lack of incomes they couldn't cope with due to the lockdown.

So my message is: let's support ALWAYS those who make a good work or service to us, may it be for our personal job or entertainment, and especially let's support mostly who suffered and still suffering because of this pandemic.

End of moralism corner, I get back into my cave.

28 minutes ago, Federico said:

So my message is: let's support ALWAYS those who make a good work or service to us, may it be for our personal job or entertainment, and especially let's support mostly who suffered and still suffering because of this pandemic.

I didn't say "let's only support SIgames and screw the rest". Not sure what implied that

If anything, the negative ME-based stuff here makes me want to buy it more. 

Can we check back to when FM17 came out and everyone united together to praise how brilliant the ME was?

It's just a game lads. 3.5p per hour of fun or whatever it works out at. 

I will be buying FM like I do every year but I no longer buy it on release.

For the last few years, the release version has been to an unacceptable standard and we've had to wait for a couple of months for patches before it's been worth playing. 

Sadly, I no longer trust SI to release a game that isn't broken. When the opinions of FM21 are largely positive on this forum then I will happily spend my money. 

I hate saying this as I've been a loyal customer for many years. I hope SI win back some of my trust. 

50 minutes ago, allezdae said:

If anything, the negative ME-based stuff here makes me want to buy it more. 

Can we check back to when FM17 came out and everyone united together to praise how brilliant the ME was?

It's just a game lads. 3.5p per hour of fun or whatever it works out at. 

Thing is - ME is a base of a football game, it's a GAME itself. When it works it's taken as it is. But when it doesn't it immediately catches attention.

BTW 17 was one of the best FMs imo

21 minutes ago, Pav_Makarov said:

Thing is - ME is a base of a football game, it's a GAME itself. When it works it's taken as it is. But when it doesn't it immediately catches attention.

BTW 17 was one of the best FMs imo

It kinda reminds me of people I know who claim to be massive Star Wars fans, but have hated everything since Return of the Jedi. There comes a point where you say, actually, I'm not a Star Wars fan any more. 

People going on about SI betraying trust and stuff like that - yeah the ME does mad things some times, but no-one is forcing you to put up with anything. It does a far better job of letting me play out my little fantasies that my own ideas about football are worth anything, than anything else, ever - year on year. 

So yeah, I'm buying FM21. :)

17 minutes ago, allezdae said:

People going on about SI betraying trust and stuff like that - yeah the ME does mad things some times, but no-one is forcing you to put up with anything. It does a far better job of letting me play out my little fantasies that my own ideas about football are worth anything, than anything else, ever - year on year. 

So yeah, I'm buying FM21. :)

Yeah, I'm buying it too, like I said above. And no, I'm not giving rants about "trust" and stuff like that, it's very simple to me - game was good, but lately (in my pov) it has not been so good and shape it's in at this moment directly affects the way I play it. This is how it goes, I'm not entitled to SI catering to my complaints, so I might be off if ME stays the way, it is it's fine people lose interest and drop off all the time.

I'm not the only one though and whether or not this is an issue will only be shown by future sales

2 ore fa, Pav_Makarov ha scritto:

I didn't say "let's only support SIgames and screw the rest". Not sure what implied that

No no, don't misunderstand me, I took your post just as point for reflecting generally, not as criticism.

I’ve bought every version since CM2, so I doubt this year will be any different, even if I am disappointed with the match engine this year. I loaded up FM17 during lockdown and the match engine looks much better than FM20 as does the UI. 
However FM20’s tactics centre/creator is so much better than FM17. The overhauled tactics centre is the one big improvement in recent years that I think has advanced the game majorly. If the match engine can be improved so that it feels more like watching football the way it plays in real life I’ll be delighted (less shooting from stupid angles, pass backs from 50 yards, players ice skating across the pitch, players not responding to what’s happening and just standing there until losing the ball, strikers who can’t hit the target or pass it to the keeper when 1 on 1 and the impossible task of defending set pieces)